(Topic ID: 107295)

Predator seemed like a scam --- but eventually happily resolved!

By JimWilks

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 841 posts
  • 196 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 57 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

abandon-thread.gif
chair-1.jpg
InStyle-Outtakes-Wallpaper-olivia-wilde-3805786-1280-800.jpg
olivia-wilde-2 thumbs up.gif
pinside-posting-madness-1.png
image.jpg
pinside.JPG
image-55.jpg
factass.jpg
Internet-Protector.jpg
294409475_9wbdG-L - Copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 9.34.41 AM.png
image-134.jpg
image.jpg
image-965.jpg
image-485.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 841 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.
#51 5 years ago

I also think this title should be changed predator isn't a scam. They have made a game, they have invested time and money. I think the title of this thread needs adjustment

#52 5 years ago

Just spoke to Kevin. Why is he in Argentina? Is there a show there?

#53 5 years ago

They must be skipping UL testing that can take one, two, or three months in itself. Plus that ties up the only game they made, they would need a second one for testing

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Really?
I'm not trying to troll, I don't dislike u so please don't take this as me im trying to insult you.
After seeing what jack had to go through up close and hoops to jump through. With preditor not showing cabinets built, play fields stacked, wire harnesses waiting for install, mechs stacked in boxes, ect
No way in hell do u see that game by December unless they give you the one that's done already. I just don't see it man. If they had all that stuff stacked ready to put together they would be flashing pictures of stuff to buyers to keep them in the loop and happy not trying to bail. They also would have collected most of ur money not some guys $250 only

a few things...

1. Sounds like the OP is out of the communication loop completely. I am not sure where the signals were crossed but at least 250 people were all able to get the email and send the minimum required 3k in by now. The title is sold out and there is still a substantial waiting list. It seems to me the OP supposedly missed the June 28th deadline for payment of 3k to hold his spot and needs to get his $250 back??? No idea how that happened but seems to be a communication issue.

2. This is a sold out boutique game. I would like more communication but I can completely understand why they are not publicly sharing photos of parts stacked in a room. There is no real benefit to doing so. Those that are still in have faith in the project and soon enough I believe you will have pictures and reports from the first batch actually being played in homes (offer still stands that other local predator owners are welcome to come play mine when it arrives). Maybe I am too optimitic, but at least I am willing to put my money behind that optimism.

#55 5 years ago

any of you tough talkers want to put up?

or are you just a bunch of B S Ds?

#56 5 years ago

alien_predator016.gif
#57 5 years ago

As far as the license stuff, that sounds like total BS to me. Now having said that, there are certainly constraints in the contract on certain things they can and can not do around the logo, actors images, sound alikes, etc. There are challenges with every license and certainly there are some things in the Predator license that I'm sure Kevin would now have done differently, but I am not in a position to discuss details. I am sure he was smarter about some of these things with the second license.

When I spoke to Kevin at expo, he indicated that production was currently underway. It is not surprising that Skit-b has found it harder to mass produce games than originally thought. As I like to say "I don't know what I don't know", and I bet there was a lot more that Skit-B did not know than they realized.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

a few things...
1. Sounds like the OP is out of the communication loop completely. I am not sure where the signals were crossed but at least 250 people were all able to get the email and send the minimum required 3k in by now. The title is sold out and there is still a substantial waiting list. It seems to me the OP supposedly missed the June 28th deadline for payment of 3k to hold his spot and needs to get his $250 back??? No idea how that happened but seems to be a communication issue.
2. This is a sold out boutique game. I would like more communication but I can completely understand why they are not publicly sharing photos of parts stacked in a room. There is no real benefit to doing so. Those that are still in have faith in the project and soon enough I believe you will have pictures and reports from the first batch actually being played in homes (offer still stands that other local Predator owners are welcome to come play mine when it arrives). Maybe I am too optimitic, but at least I am willing to put my money behind that optimism.

Crazy, can't understand why they wouldn't promote their work. They are not jpop hiding new patents and secrets. I hope u get it by December.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Lot's of negative drama lately. Robin could probably sell the TV rights to the History Channel. Might make a good show......

We can call it: As the ball drains (these are the days of our lives)

#60 5 years ago

Original poster should edit title.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Original poster should edit title.

Not seeing where his question was answered.

Edit: Glad to see the OP got his deposit back, and changed the thread title.

Post edited by RCA1: New information

#62 5 years ago

Wait...are you talking this year as in 2014 yet? Or in the next 356 days? Because if this year yet you are even ballsier than I thought! Sure hope you are right though!

Not saying it won't happen, but that's only 2 months...yikes!

#63 5 years ago

Whysnow. You are the biggest fan boy for this game & to be honest with you. I truly hope you and everyone else that has put money in on this game gets their game.

I'm just stating the facts as I see them. Same machine dragged show after show (with updates done to this one protype pin between shows), no images of multiple parts built ready for assembly, very poor or lack of communication, rumors of no license, no mention of any sort of this game on their site, delay after delay. Just sayin....looks like a lot of red flags to me.

I'm just stating its a cause for concern if I was in the game on one. It would be interesting to hear Skit Bs take on this as to clarify what the status is with license and lack of information on the site as it does seem odd.

Best of luck to you getting your game in 2014. What's your scheduled ship date so I can save this thread in my favorites for future reference?

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

any of you tough talkers want to put up?

I got money, what are the exact stakes? And dates?

#65 5 years ago

oooooooh... That is ball-sy. I personally don't have any doubts that Kevin will deliver, but I'm not as confident that it will be this year (ie: calendar year 2014)...

Jaz

#66 5 years ago

Kevin needs to get in here to put out this small bush fire before it gets out of control. (And post a picture of stacked anything)

#67 5 years ago

So were none of you around 10 years ago for the first MM remake was to happen ? Wayne from Australia took every ones money ! It can happen ! They all demanded he show progress in making the game so he showed a pile of cardboard boxes with MM in magic marker on the side .LOL !

#69 5 years ago

This is a really interesting thread. After reading most of it I think people, especially in pinball need to becareful when buying something new from an unproven company. What type of risk are you willing to take on? If you reserve you spot in line for a limited edition pin for $250 and the company goes under or runs off you're not in bad shape. Now if you gave them $250 and then another $3000 and haven't seen anything substantial well then that's a larger risk. Using a down payment system for fund raising puts the consumers in a tough position.

#70 5 years ago

In the last day I sent an email to Skit-B telling them to hurry up and start production, after all I am 66 and do not know how long I might live.

#71 5 years ago

This is funny
The same thing was happening 18 months ago with WOZ
Then all of a sudden, Jack started shipping
Even Jack underestimated the task of building a pinball machine

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Whysnow. You are the biggest fan boy for this game & to be honest with you. I truly hope you and everyone else that has put money in on this game gets their game.
I'm just stating the facts as I see them. Same machine dragged show after show (with updates done to this one protype pin between shows), no images of multiple parts built ready for assembly, very poor or lack of communication, rumors of no license, no mention of any sort of this game on their site, delay after delay. Just sayin....looks like a lot of red flags to me.
I'm just stating its a cause for concern if I was in the game on one. It would be interesting to hear Skit Bs take on this as to clarify what the status is with license and lack of information on the site as it does seem odd.
Best of luck to you getting your game in 2014. What's your scheduled ship date so I can save this thread in my favorites for future reference?

so it sounds like you are not willing to put a game on the line???

I am betting that I will have my game and be physically playing it by this year, 2014.

Ballsy? Optimistic? Fan boy? Stupid? Call it as you see it but I say put up or shut up.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

This is a sold out boutique game. I would like more communication but I can completely understand why they are not publicly sharing photos of parts stacked in a room. There is no real benefit to doing so.

They've announced their 2nd game. The benefit of being transparent & showing progress is to look good to future customers.

#74 5 years ago

I'm still wanting to know the stakes? Whysnow??

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They've announced their 2nd game. The benefit of being transparent & showing progress is to look good to future customers.

As a current customer of a limited game I would prefer any communication from SkitB only be with the actual people that have paid money to back.

Game #2 is going to have to stand on its own and I have to think that after the lashing they got about art with very little constructive feedback they don't have much desire or incentive to share anything until it is in the form they want.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Perspex:

Kevin needs to get in here to put out this small bush fire before it gets out of control. (And post a picture of stacked anything)

No he doesn't. Kevin needs to focus on getting the games built and out the door, not responding to ever chicken little who suddenly decides the sky is falling. No matter what he responds to, someone will want to read between the lines and see something that is not there. At this point he is best off just focusing on the task at hand.

While Kevin has made some faux pas in some of his communication (e.g. Mission Complete), and while he may often have an overly optimistic view, he has been pretty honest about what is going on. He has refunded money to anyone who has asked.

For those who have their doubts, I believe whysnow is still taking wagers.

#77 5 years ago

To further concern anyone about this project I've heard through the grapevine they do not have the license to Predator or the license to use the likeness of Arny. Don't believe? Take notice there is no references what so ever to Predator on the Skit B website.
I'm not in on the game and honestly at this point I'm glad I'm not as I see a Shit storm about to hit full force with those that are buyers.

That is a serious allegation you are making. Not having the license when they have said in the past that they had it would open the possibility of fraud. You may want to make sure you are right before posting such allegations as they border on slander unless they are true.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

I'm still wanting to know the stakes? Whysnow??

Stakes are clear

I am betting I will be playing my physical game in this calendar year.

pink slips for a current title and loser pays shipping. You are not publicly sharing your collection so hard to make a bet with you as I don't even know what you have or are willing to put on the line.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

As a current customer of a limited game I would prefer any communication from SkitB only be with the actual people that have paid money to back.
Game #2 is going to have to stand on its own and I have to think that after the lashing they got about art with very little constructive feedback they don't have much desire or incentive to share anything until it is in the form they want.

There was a lot of constructive feedback on the art...and they should be thankful for it. Had they released that game with that art as a finished product, they'd sell zero.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

He has refunded money to anyone who has asked.

The original claim in this thread is that he has not.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

What is a B S D?

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

What is a B S D?

Bram Stoker's Draculas, of course!

#83 5 years ago

I will say one thing. It does seem very strange that the Skitb web page does not appear to have a single reference to Predator or anything about the particular game.

http://www.skitbpinball.com/

#84 5 years ago

Big Swinging D!ck.

i.e. ballers that like to talk big. They walk into the room and knock a bunch of shit about but end up not doing anything worthwhile.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Big Swinging D!ck.

i.e. ballers that like to talk big. They walk into the room and knock a bunch of shit about but end up not doing anything worthwhile.

Haha. Heard the term before, just couldn't put B S D together.

I'm not in on Predator, but I personally don't think it's a scam. YMMV.

#86 5 years ago

Someone's making a Predator pinball machine?

#87 5 years ago

Here is a quote about the licensing:

Quoted from SkitBPinball:

The licensing and likeness costs and all that aren't really something we're allowed to talk much about, unfortunately. If you're wondering if certain characters will appear in the game / artwork, I can tell you that all of the notable characters are present in both.
I'm not exactly clear what you mean with the term "oversight." We haven't run into any qualms with anyone about how the characters are being portrayed or anything, if that's what you mean. I know there was a big hiccup with the Demolition Man over something like that with Wesley Snipes and they had to go through multiple backglass designs because of it, but we haven't had any issues with anything like that, so we're happy.

#88 5 years ago

Here is another:

Quoted from SkitBPinball:

I wish I could say more, but I simply can't say anything other than the fact that we have legal right to use the Predator license for our purposes. I hate this legal crap just as much as anybody...

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Stakes are clear

pink slips for a current title and loser pays shipping. You are not publicly sharing your collection so hard to make a bet with you as I don't even know what you have or are willing to put on the line.

How about we just bet cash, it's way easier to paypal someone than ship a machine

#90 5 years ago

games are more fun.

Then I will get the joy of playing someone's old game for years to come

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Bram Stoker's Draculas, of course!

Hahaha...good one!

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

The original claim in this thread is that he has not.

the OP indicated Kevin was going to get him back in the communication loop, and then he heard nothing, but that could easily be that there has not been anything new going out to the buyers.

It is unclear when he asked for his money back and how long it has been. Kevin can be very slow to respond to emails and he will be the first to tell you that. We have seen others post similar statements and then responded back that they got their money. We know there have been a couple of dozen folks who have dropped out, and if they had not gotten their money back, this thread would be a lot hotter and Kevin probably would have been strangled at expo.

#93 5 years ago

Here is another mention that they have the license (see line 8 of post #1):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-predator-info-thread#postbox

"Game is officially licensed to carry the Predator brand and has a giant list of sound and voice clips cut from the movie itself."

#94 5 years ago

I heard from a reliable source the first 10 are being assembled right now.
I was very impressed with how smooth and nice the game played at expo and did note the new sling and inlane plastics.
we'll get our machines. relax.

#95 5 years ago

They had time to put on there site that another expo is over on their main page. I think anyone making such a pinball would have some mention on it on their site.

The Midwest Gaming Classic just ended within the last couple weeks!? Dang, whose running that crappy show now?

http://www.skitbpinball.com/endofexposeason.html

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I heard from a reliable source the first 10 are being assembled right now.

Why can't someone snap a quick pic and send it out to the buyers list via email? I got in about 2-3 months ago and haven't heard a word since. And I see that Kevin hasn't made a post here in 3 months either.

#97 5 years ago

as far as the licensing, the difficulty of a license can vary based on what rights the actors have in it. The Dutch Pinball guys in their seminar mentioned some of the hoops they have had to jump through on TBL, where some of the actors have approval rights on the use of their likeness. I believe every newsletter, brochure, etc they do requires approval by a variety of people. That can vary widely by license/property. Does not sound like that was an issue with Predator, but I am sure there were plenty of other constraints, approvals needed, etc. I suspect they will have more of those challenges to deal with on their second machine.

#98 5 years ago

This is fun
I am in on this game...much further down the list and will be pleasantly surprised if I see the game sometime in 2015.
Somebody take Whysnow's challenge....I am rooting for him.

Makes good theatre...

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The Midwest Gaming Classic just ended within the last couple weeks!? Dang, whose running that crappy show now?
http://www.skitbpinball.com/endofexposeason.html

I see what you did there!

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Stakes are clear

Ballzy... Guess they decided to skip the UL testing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Lighting - Interactive
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 9.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 689.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 35.00
$ 53.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.95
Cabinet - Toppers
COINTAKER.COM
$ 6.00
There are 841 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside