(Topic ID: 286786)

Precious Metals? Gold, Silver, Prospecting and Collecting.

By phil-lee

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 647 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 hours ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
F5107C5A-5953-4106-BD37-FD65485BE74E (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
_20240404_112124 (resized).JPG
_20240404_111942 (resized).JPG
image_67226625 (resized).JPG
IMG_6312 conv (resized).jpeg
IMG_6311 conv (resized).jpeg
Copper map (resized).jpg
gold_20_year_o_jpy_x (resized).png
_20231028_130347 (resized).JPG
_20231028_130309 (resized).JPG
1DAD5E23-1CAB-42CE-8E38-9957B65892F6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8369 (resized).jpg
_20230112_083641 (resized).JPG
pasted_image(Image) (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Perspective from a rare coin seller. Posted by Coindork (3 years ago)

Post #86 Amazing photos from actual miner and a great story. Posted by Onwallst (3 years ago)

Post #109 Great power point on gold demand. Posted by ManyQuarters (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

As it became scarce in the early 70's I converted allowance money to purchase rolled coins which I went through, picked out silver, then re-rolled them and traded for more.
A Family member who works at a bank still brings me pre-64 silver that shows up, though its few and far between.
I guess thats why cull American silver is my favorite, though I do have some collectable quality as well.

Yep, junk Silver is fun. The days of finding it in rolls seem to be behind us though.

The silver market moved a good deal the last couple of days. There just hasn’t been much industrial demand for silver since photography changed.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Never really respected copper unless it was a large cent or rare indian head.

I agree. Copper would be very challenging to collect for many reasons, where would you store it? Not worth enough to make the juice worth the squeeze, just buy a mining stock and don’t try and stack it.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

APMEX has suspended Silver sales. The are waiting for the Contract Market to open tonight at 11.

Wow! They just opened up again and it is $41 for a one ounce silver Eagle. That said, the spot price is $28.11 so it makes absolutely no sense for the mint fee to be $11 a coin, but that is what they are asking. I’d love to see silver go on a crazy run.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Call me skeptical, but I still don’t think they can inject enough capital into the metals market to really move it. Might they get it to $50 an ounce? Yeah maybe.
I would be shocked if they get it to triple or quadruple. There’s an awful lot of physical silver in the world and it would take a ton of funds to move it big.
A couple things to keep in mind about the mining industry. Mines have a fixed cost per ounce in pulling metal out of the ground and refining it. If the price gets too cheap where it’s not economically feasible, they simply stop production. If the price increases, the ramp up production.
The only issue would be the rate the refineries can refine the metal. With ramped up production, you might get a bottleneck in refining like there was in the 80s with the Hunt brothers run up. This would have to go for a while for that to happen.
Retailers have already raised their prices in anticipation of the run up and will continue to do so to stay ahead of the curve.
People with large position are going to hold and see what happens. The smart money will do this and when the gold to silver ratio gets too far out of wack they will dump their silver and put in in gold or whichever other precious metal they think is undervalued by ratio to silver.

This is very interesting and I totally agree, Silver is simply too big of a market for the manipulation the day traders are seeking. If silver doubles there will be a flood of it on the market. I remember when silver hit $45 an ounce some years back people were melting down old family silver Ware sets for scrap value.

1 week later
#47 3 years ago

The premiums over spot are just at comical levels right now. APMEX in particular is no longer worth utilizing. Safe deposit box prices are going up now as well as many banks close out their boxes, that could become a real problem as only a crazy person would keep a large stack at home.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Something about getting gold out of the ground that so many have failed doing for decades or centuries.

Gosh, your entire post was awesome and those photos were incredible. Thank you for sharing those and being in this thread. Marked as a key post.

#96 3 years ago

Regarding the brick in your final picture, did you smelt and cast that yourself as well?

I just can’t get over the sheer amount of equipment you have in those photos. How many employees do you utilize? How long does a mine generally last? Has all of your mining been in the US? Do you accumulate other ancillary metals while mining such as silver and copper?

1 week later
#113 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A Bank safety deposit box? Safest, until the Bank locks its doors due to a run or other circumstance prevents access (Federal intervention, audit or internal limitations imposed by the Branch.)

This is the only reasonable answer frankly. I don’t know anyone who keeps them at their house. I had a friend keep a large amount in a ski locker he owned, not a terrible place either but many of the same risks as a bank safety deposit box.

1 week later
#140 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Hard head stackers have not been swayed by ridiculous premiums over spot and continue buying what they can find.
I am curious what will happen if the Market corrects for a few days.

I’ve not been on Pinside much this last week and am just seeing this. Interesting thing is gold has kept going down a bit these last ten days and is now hovering around $1,700. People always say don’t try and catch a falling knife and what not, but I never thought gold would be back in the $1,600’s again.

Those premiums over spot are simply insane and no one has any inventory anyway right now. How can gold be dropping like it is and no one have any of the really desirable stuff in stock? I tried to order some gold for a client today and no one had the Valcambi CombiBars my client wanted...no retail distributor I would trust anyway. His second choice item was in stock but not BU...

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

It’s still one ounce of gold. It may weigh slightly less because all the other metals have been refined out of it, but it more pure at 99.999% and weighs 31.10gms.

Just to confirm my understanding, the Maples are usually 999.9 parts of our 1,000 but in some years they have been as high as five 9s. I guess it’s super expensive so they only do the five 9s runs occasionally?

You may be the best person I know to ask what is going on with these premiums over spot now? They have blasted off into the stratosphere. Has this been the case for some time? Premiums over spot for gold were under $70 per ounce a few years ago. The premiums on eagles and buffalos are approaching $300 an ounce now. Is Gary Stern in charge of the mint or something?

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Britannias are the most attractive, a little harder to get.

Currently my favorite coin. Best security features available, lower premium over spot than the eagle, Buffalo, or maple leaf, great design, backed by England and IRA qualified.

1 week later
#153 3 years ago

Absolutely not mine and not in my possession now or ever (or I wouldn’t post this), but check out what I helped put in capsules for a client today before she brought them to her bank for safe keeping...

00A3161E-22C6-4DF0-B869-43115633D596 (resized).jpeg00A3161E-22C6-4DF0-B869-43115633D596 (resized).jpegFB705658-C55B-4DD4-9510-7B59D9B1F3A8 (resized).jpegFB705658-C55B-4DD4-9510-7B59D9B1F3A8 (resized).jpeg
#155 3 years ago

I have to say, those Britannia’s are nothing short of the most gorgeous coin I have ever seen, much less held. The security features are off the chart, they make the Eagle look like a late 19th century coin by comparison. Also, the price over spot is an outright bargain.

So, my client wanted just under 100k of gold. After vetting the options, I gave her three proposals to consider among...she effectively obtained three extra coins by going with the Britannia’s over the Eagles (55 ounces instead of 52 for just $200 separation in price). I had never really considered the Britannia’s until the 2021 upgrade and the Eagles and Buffalos going bandannas with the premium. My guess is the Britannia outsells the Buffalo this year for sure. The Eagles are getting a mid-year refresh so we will see what happens with those, I’m sure they will finish the year #1 like they always do...but that premium over spot needs to drop before I’ll recommend it to anyone.

C4C7B352-EA32-45C7-95BD-6EE585671027 (resized).pngC4C7B352-EA32-45C7-95BD-6EE585671027 (resized).png
4 months later
#186 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Would anyone be interested in trading a pin for American Gold Eagles?

So, this is one of my favorite threads on Pinside. I’d love to see some more action in here. I know that I for one would trade pins for gold coins, I’d do this more readily than taking cash.

People always talk about how a gold coin 50 years ago, 100 years ago, 200 years ago, 300 years ago always had the same purchasing power (one suit and a nice pair of shoes). I wonder how this would translate into pinball purchasing power. Today, roughly three one ounce coins land you a NIB Stern pro. How many were needed for a Doctor Who in 1992?

#188 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Seriously, holding and watching for now, premiums are just ridiculous, especially on Silver Eagles.

Yea, I’ve not been adding to collection at all recently. Premiums are just too high right now. I think premiums will be dropping toward year end. I just couldn’t justify buying any silver right now with that mark up. I do want to develop a relationship with my local coin shop, I may go buy one of the new gold eagles from them and just eat the premium to gain the contact. Supporting local coin shops is important, I recognize that more now than ever.

The interesting thing will be to see what happens to precious metals when the inevitable crypto regulation hits…will some of the crypto people move into metals or will they ride out the regulation wave and see where things end up.

#191 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

What kind of premiums are we talking about over spot gold price?

It depends on the specific coin and the size of the coin, as the premiums are higher for local coins and premiums are bigger for smaller denominations of coins. The most popular gold coin in the US is the American Gold Eagle, for a one ounce gold Eagle today you’d be looking at around a $135 premium over the spot price to buy a single coin from a reputable online dealer, higher for an in the store purchase. The smaller you go the bigger the premium over spot.

Premium on silver is about $10 on an ounce…when the spot price is $25 an ounce that is a huge premium.

Quoted from Concretehardt:

Also what about these mail order gold sellers, is that a better way to go to buy one ounce coins? My dad just ordered one ounce coins from an online seller I didn’t ask him details but I was surprised that you can mail order gold coins.

Mail order is usually a bad idea. Sometimes on the silver coins they will cut you a good promotional deal on your very first coin (like a good drug dealer), but after that you get gouged. It really is better to buy from one of the major distributors line apmex or your local coin store. The Facebook things about fractional gold are all rip offs, you are paying vastly over what you could buy the gold for and most places have deposit plans if you want to work up to something (or something similar).

#193 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammer1021:

New coin arrived, thought I'd share.

That is super neat! I wonder if that is the first pinball theme’d investment grade silver round.

#195 2 years ago
Quoted from ManyQuarters:

Gold medal: Only 1.2% of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic gold medal is actually gold. The other 98.8% is silver.

I had no idea how low the gold content was. How long has it been that way? That is basically just gold plated.

So, this thread induced me today to make an order online…I plan to make the visit to the coin store next time. I bought a one ounce maple and a one gram maple, should be fun to see those side by side. I’ll take pics and post them when they come in.

#199 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinplayer:

Just picked up this beauty last week. It's the 1/2 oz version.

Is that version one or version two? Show the other side!

#201 2 years ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

any advice or just worth what the silver value is?

About $110 each roll. They call it “junk” silver sine it’s 90%, but you’d have no trouble moving it to a stacker. I think it’s a little over three and a half ounces of silver.

#205 2 years ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

Ok thanks so no reason to go thru all of the dimes? Best place to sell or just hold onto them really don’t collect coins?

I agree with Phil, hold on to them…they will keep going up. If you need a quick $2,500 you have it in those dimes and can sell them fast…but they are an investment and won’t just inflate away like your cash does.

#208 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I ended up keeping my coins and just going with cash. I got Mando pro and AIQ premium. My first machines and I am absolutely in love with these pins.

Congrats and big welcome to pinball. Getting a pinball machine is like getting a pregnant rabbit…they multiply.

Good choice on games. I’m waiting on my Mando Premium. I’m probably in the October run.

#212 2 years ago

So, my order from earlier in the week arrived and will be headed to the bank for safe keeping. If you ever wondered about the size of a one gram coin…it is truly puny. 7718992F-AE5A-49DC-BAB7-35882D7DC261 (resized).jpeg7718992F-AE5A-49DC-BAB7-35882D7DC261 (resized).jpeg68149C58-4CB5-4AB7-AFBF-41F2C535248A (resized).jpeg68149C58-4CB5-4AB7-AFBF-41F2C535248A (resized).jpeg3BA7D481-AC59-4879-AB24-56FA71F7731D (resized).jpeg3BA7D481-AC59-4879-AB24-56FA71F7731D (resized).jpeg

#217 2 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

which 1 oz gold coin is best to invest in? american gold eagle, maple leaf, krugerrand?

Consider not just what to buy but also where to buy it. If there is a coin store near you it is always good to support your local coin store. If you are looking online the 800 pound gorilla is www.apmex.com but for a lower premium over spot consider: https://www.bgasc.com/

Quoted from phil-lee:

First 1 gram maple leaf I've seen. At 89 (today) more desirable than a generic bar. Will order one next time, thanks!

Yea, the one gram coin was pretty cool. I just hope I don’t lose it!

Quoted from phil-lee:

That little coin could buy your groceries for a week in the future.

I’m a believer in the need to be prepared. This is why I like the combo bars from Valicambri.

#220 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I would encourage you check out Goldbacks as well. Official state issued gold currency that is legal tender in the issued states and is highly divisible. A single 1/1000ozt Goldback will roughly buy a loaf of bread or a gallon of gas.

Yea, but the premium over spot on those is super high. I have never understood why they would put the same amount of gold in the 25 or 50 note as they do in the 1 note…shouldn’t the gold content go up?

The concept is super interesting. I’d like to see more states make these.

#223 2 years ago

It is super tempting to buy the recent dip. I just wish these premiums would go down to where they were a few years ago. I’d love one of the type 2 American Eagles but I just can’t stomach these premiums right now. I’m really thinking of buying a bar next rather than a coin.

Inflation rates are 5.4% again year over year for July. The only reason gold hasn’t taken off like it did last year are the institutional investors are buying stocks right now with all the monetary easing and sustained stimulus…they are hoping the stocks will simply keep inflating upwards (and it seems like they will for the rest of the year at least). When the institutional investors eventually take their profits off this surge they will pour in to gold…both the mining stocks and tangible gold.

#229 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Similarly, 41.2 percent report customers trying to sell them fake gold American Eagle bullion coins. Fake foreign gold bullion coins encountered include the South African gold Krugerrand at 30.4 percent, the Canadian gold Maple Leaf at 24.2 percent, and Mexican gold 50 pesos at 20.1 % percent. PAMP (Suisse) gold ingots and bars are the worldwide market leader; 57.8 percent of U.S. dealers in the survey reported customers seeking to sell them counterfeit gold PAMP bars and 36.1 percent reported encountering fakes of Australia’s Perth Mint gold bars.

Crazy that someone would try and fake a gold coin. The amount of work that must go into that is off the charts.

1 week later
#237 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Things like food, water, bullets and medication will be far more valuable for use as currency barter and trade in a true apocalyptic setting.

I have a prepper friend who believes bottles whiskey will be the trading currency of the apocalyptic future. He has cases and cases of Jack Daniels…it is actually rather hysterical.

I think the current inflation we are seeing has many people looking at PMs closer. The big run in PM hit in the mid 00’s after nearly two decades of mostly stagnant value. I could see gold make another run like that and hit 4k an ounce over the next few years once the market cools off. The problem with gold is when the value goes up dramatically increased mining production becomes financially viable and the supply goes up and it’s not like gold gets consumed in any traditional sense (jewlery just gets recycled).

I’d like to buy some more gold jewlery but mark up on it is absurd.

#241 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

If your interested in gold jewelry try to get in good with someone that owns a jewelry or pawn shop. On the secondary market it’s way cheaper.
I don’t buy it because I don’t want the hassle that comes along with it.
That said a lot of the shops that I know that do are that are paying back of melt for it.
They pay back of melt because unless it’s something good they just throw it on a scale, figure it a little back and ship it to the refinery to make a few percent.

This is incredibly good advice. I need to find a pawn shop to make friends with, I’ve never had a pawn shop as a client sadly. How do you get in good with a pawn shop? Thanks again!

#248 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Venezuela is actually a really good example.
There’s people there that were millionaires that owned mansions who now their hard assets like gold, silver, rare coins and art are the most valuable items they own.
The mass inflation they have been going through in recent year has totally killed the buying power of any Bolivares they had in the bank.
Same goes for Realestate (which can and has been taken away from people).
Many of them keep US dollar accounts in places like Miami because keeping your money in Venezuela is a race to the bottom with hyper inflation.

Yea, my big concern is the inflation. Putting money into equities is also a good move, since many of the big companies can raise prices to keep up with inflation…but at the end of the day your ability to liquidate those assets (stocks) can be limited.

I’ve been thinking a lot since your post regarding the seizure of real/immovable property. I could absolutely see that happening one day…sadly.

Quoted from phil-lee:

Took advantage of the recent price drop in metals, gold and silver.

That’s a super nice score. I’ve been flirting with making another order for more than a month now, but I’ve gone a bit of a crazy pin purchase spree and my Ultraman is one of the first off the line and I’ll need to pay for that soon.

1 month later
#318 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

But keep in mind they are not Perma Bulls.

Permabulls are a real problem in the PM industry. Everyone in the industry seems to be one to some extent, which I get due to all the BS it takes to keep the fiat currency ship afloat.

1 week later
#339 2 years ago

And that leads me to the question being curious - do metals collectors hope for dips to buy more or want metals to go higher so there collection value is higher? Is this a type of question like “do you want you pins to go up, but if they do go up the price rises to add a new pin so it’s give and take?”
I am genuinely curious. Thanks

Well, you always want to buy things that are in demand…and if gold was stagnant for ten years like it was in the $250-$350 an ounce range it wouldn’t be a particularly exciting investment. That said, I think most try and buy the dips just like the digital currency people. You never want to try and catch a falling knife but it’s easier for me to buy it when it’s 10% below a recent high than at its all time high… Just speaking for myself of course, but gold isn’t really a momentum purchase for most…

1 month later
#406 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I think it is only a matter of time before a world currency.

And a totally digital one at that. It won’t be one of the existing ones either, it’ll one created and owned exclusively by the governments that band together to form it. Of course, the issue there is the governments are now accustomed to simply printing money…that would be harder to do if they switched to a digital currency.

8 months later
#531 1 year ago

I’m thinking gold drops to $1,700 an ounce by the end of August, but then pushes to around $1,900 by the end of the year.

#534 1 year ago

I don’t have any at all but if Silver hits a lower low I may buy some 100 ounce bars. My target is $40 over next couple of years. Whether it comes close is another story.

Silver is such a pain in the butt to store. I did snag some today myself and went for the ten ounce bars, but I am not sure if I ever see silver going on a real run due to the storage issue with it and there is just so much of it…

Silver is too rare and expensive to be a desirable industrial product (industry will always look to substitute it) and too plentiful and cheap to be easy to store. It is in a weird spot.

I see some experts think gold will drop to $1,500-$1,600 range, particularly if the conflict in Ukraine resolves. I’m all for it dropping in the short to medium term so long for buying opportunities.

1 month later
#536 1 year ago

Yesterday was just the dollar weakening, I do agree PM are positioned well but I’m not sure if we’ve seen the bottom yet.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/precious-metals-gold-silver-and-everything-else?tu=tigerlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.