(Topic ID: 286786)

Precious Metals? Gold, Silver, Prospecting and Collecting.

By phil-lee

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 621 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6312 conv (resized).jpeg
IMG_6311 conv (resized).jpeg
Copper map (resized).jpg
gold_20_year_o_jpy_x (resized).png
_20231028_130347 (resized).JPG
_20231028_130309 (resized).JPG
1DAD5E23-1CAB-42CE-8E38-9957B65892F6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8369 (resized).jpg
_20230112_083641 (resized).JPG
pasted_image(Image) (resized).png
seasonalgc2015 (resized).png
greenstuff-final (resized).png
F63D4CA3-4678-4B32-9BCE-EB9E5E8481E9 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
Arrgh!_009 (resized).png
0B7D8000-BBDD-48E4-B69F-33134AB3FE0F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Perspective from a rare coin seller. Posted by Coindork (3 years ago)

Post #86 Amazing photos from actual miner and a great story. Posted by Onwallst (3 years ago)

Post #109 Great power point on gold demand. Posted by ManyQuarters (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I wanted to start a discussion group for all things concerning precious metals. Gold Panner or Collector? Stacking Silver as a hedge or just like Collecting coins?
Instead of Metals being a scab on the back of day trading I felt it deserved its own place.
Personally I like the cull American coins, cleaned or not.
Morgan dollars are usually a little pricier than Peace but it fluctuates. Like both. I purchase a lot of Silver Eagles but they usually come with a high premium due to popularity.
Are you a Stacker? What are your goals?

#4 3 years ago

Brien Lundin, editor of Gold Newsletter, meanwhile, urged caution amid indications that the “RobinHooders and their ilk will soon target silver as the next market to flood into to trap the shorts.”

“That would be interesting to see…but be careful what you wish for,” he said in emailed commentary. “There are certainly enough fundamental forces driving silver higher over the coming years that we don’t need a manipulation in the positive direction to shorten or possibly forestall the trend already in place.”

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Look up what the Hunt brothers did in the 80s.

Well aware of the Hunt Brothers.
This may be a new time or paradigm for silver/gold.
There is a lot of it out there, but if all these Reddit folks just bought 1 coin it will change everything, price,availability, desirability.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I buy and sell coins for a living and have done so for nearly 30 years.
I’m not saying it not doable, but it’s going to take a lot more than them each buying one silver coin. I think you underestimate how much silver there is in the world and how much of it has been minted into coin form.

As I understand it there are 20 million people on that sub Reddit. If one percent bought one coin it would drive the price much higher for the short term and lead to shortages in the stock of more popular offerings like silver eagles.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I like shipwreck treasure. Much cooler than regular coins and bars.
[quoted image]

Like the Atocha? I looked some up years ago and they were only selling the copper, and it was high. Thanks for reminding me, need to check this Market again, would love to have a few examples.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I’ve liked the Canadian maples silver coins. They have some nice variants. At some point silver has to trend up.

In 1983 The Boss took all of us to dinner and gave us an ounce Maple Leaf (gold), my first gold coin. I have collected since a kid but never had any gold.
Think he was doing it for a tax break or something but it was a nice gesture.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

They would have to target specific items and not silver in general. One percent of 20 million is only 200,000.
At roughly $26 an ounce you are only talking about 5.2 million dollars worth of silver. That is not enough to make a massive move on the price of silver.
That is a small amount of money in the global metals market.
It is however enough to manipulate the market on a specific item.

I hear you and hope they don't move their profits into silver. I like it being cheap.

#19 3 years ago

Silver up 5%
Gold up 12%
Will it hold till Monday showing a trend or is it just a blip? We will see.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Collected coins with my dad since I was a kid.
I’ve been in the auction business for like 10 years, so I have been through tons of jewelry boxes “digging” for gold and silver.
It’s always good to diversify, and like my dad said about coins it’s always good to collect money.

My Mom was a waitress at a popular restaurant and brought home bags of tips, every night the family set around a table and helped roll the coins. In 1964 word went out silver would be phased out so we started throwing pre-64 coins in a box.I became really interested in collecting and kind of took over the box when interest had waned.
She continued to help as silver trickled through the system for the next 10 years. People would also try to pay with odd Mexican/foreign silver coins and she negotiated with the others to get them.
As it became scarce in the early 70's I converted allowance money to purchase rolled coins which I went through, picked out silver, then re-rolled them and traded for more.
A Family member who works at a bank still brings me pre-64 silver that shows up, though its few and far between.
I guess thats why cull American silver is my favorite, though I do have some collectable quality as well.

#24 3 years ago

Anyone remember Steve Martin in "A simple twist of fate"? Lives alone, drinks booze and plays with a massive collection of gold coins.
One of my favorite scenes.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yep, junk Silver is fun. The days of finding it in rolls seem to be behind us though.
The silver market moved a good deal the last couple of days. There just hasn’t been much industrial demand for silver since photography changed.

Sometimes hard times make people reach back in a box and spend a few. My friend from the Bank gave me a few Barber dimes the other day so its still out there.
I remember having to spend silver certificates for diapers and formula during a down period.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yep, junk Silver is fun. The days of finding it in rolls seem to be behind us though.
The silver market moved a good deal the last couple of days. There just hasn’t been much industrial demand for silver since photography changed.

A few years ago people were sorting real copper pennies out from change. Never really respected copper unless it was a large cent or rare indian head.
Notice Dealers starting to sell a lot of copper variations.
I guess if a DOGEcoin, which was created as a joke, now has value copper is a contender.

#29 3 years ago

APMEX has suspended Silver sales. The are waiting for the Contract Market to open tonight at 11.
All large silver traders seem to be doing the same, they are either out of physical or refusing to sale.
When silver went to 11 dollars an oz a few years ago they did the same.
Friends in Europe and Ireland are saying they cannot find silver anywhere.
This can only mean they expect POSSIBLE higher than usual prices and wish to hold on to current stocks rather than sell and the price continue to rise after its in the mail. Logical from a Business standpoint.

#30 3 years ago

It appears Youtube is jamming all comments for recent silver discussion videos. Hmm..

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

Getting sick of the censorship everywhere. I understand YouTube is a private company, but in a sense it is not. Where would YouTube be with without the public uploading videos?

The chatter out there on silver is crazy right now. Perhaps the unknown that currently presents itself is so big it freaks them out. They don't know what side to get on so they shut down speculation until they figure it out.
Tomorrow will tell the tale as to whether there is an actual movement that strays from the norm or just a blip.

#38 3 years ago

When you purchase a PM coin or bar from one of the Dealers it won't be near spot price. A "Premium " is added to the cost.
Today the Premium approached 15 dollars on a one-ounce silver eagle, thus making a 29 dollar spot price for an ounce of silver coin 44 dollars. Add in shipping (if you don't order a minimum amount required for free) and it rises.
The current silver hype is manufactured and pushed so that hedge funds with large silver futures contracts that lost in the recent GME debacle can recoup.
I wouldn't recommend anyone buy silver right now. If the Premiums come down in a few days maybe.
Listen to Coindork, he has extensive experience in the PM Markets.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

Here's a few of my silver treasure coins, large 8 is from the Bahamas, the other 3 are from Florida.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Found diving or purchase? Cool either way, they blended into the game. The big one should be permanentally mounted.

#42 3 years ago

There is a free (somewhat) source of Gold, it's called Prospecting.
This Summer into late Fall scouted out some creeks. You want virgin Creeks, means they have been flowing a long time.
Too many snakes and insects then, now is the time to go back and do some panning.
Gold veins run all over the Eastern Seaboard, North to South along whats called "Fall Lines".
In the Colonial Times people followed this source of power and water and all the early Mills were built along it.
Thats where people are still finding, daily tracer, flek and yes nugget gold and having fun doing it.
Going to hit those creeks. Not going to get rich but it is profitable in so many ways

1 week later
#46 3 years ago

January purchase (before the rise of premiums). Going to concentrate on Gold this Month.IMG_2268 (resized).JPGIMG_2268 (resized).JPG

#48 3 years ago

I will continue with Apmex for gold but silver is out for now. My friend at the Bank just helped me upgrade the safety deposit box. I wasn't aware SPD were under pressure .
Silver is no longer a deal at these high premiums and takes up too much real estate. Gold premiums don't bother me as much.

#50 3 years ago

Inflation is well on its way. Even though the metals Market is heavily manipulated it would stand to reason they will still go up in value. What were your goals when you purchased them? Have those goals changed?
When you sell for fiat currency you negate the reason for holding metals as a hedge against inflation.
When you need dollars to pay bills thats another thing. Hold long term otherwise( this is not financial advice, just some random guy on the internet opinion.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from chiefbrody:

I would love to try that here, but I don't think there's much gold in the rivers in Texas

I live in NC and there is a defined gold streak from North to South through the State.
Wish I could give an easy link but every State has an Assayers Office.
Reports on finds in your area are Public knowledge.
Go where Gold has been found in the past and branch out from there.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Some pictures over the years.

That pan looks healthy! Divide it by 5 is what I have been getting. Need some dynomite (kidding).

#79 3 years ago

Nice nugget! North Carolina gold is deep, California much easier to access. Did they ban non-powered sluice rigs? I would probably use one anyway and claim ignorance if the fine wasn't too high.

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Agreed been doing it long enough got it down to a science and it is a fun living

It's a priviledge to have you here!

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from ManyQuarters:

Need to see more of this happening!
(Feb.12, 2021, Kitco News)
"Idaho State House approves bill to hold gold as inflation, risk hedge."

Are you sure this is a good thing?

#90 3 years ago

Holding precious metals can be an excellent therapy. People are happy to hold them, even more happy to find them.
Anyone watch the Prospector scene in "Ballad of Buster Scruggs"
It made sense to me as far as finding a main.
There had to be some Historic research for them to film this scene.

#104 3 years ago

Remember that simply Panning a potential Sight will tell the tale as to whether deposits exist.
Hone your Panning techniques and don't be afraid to dig down a little.
Look for Native Creeks that have been flowing since the beginning versus Man Made offshoots.
Go to the lowest point if you can. Dig deveral samples from the center of the Creek and to the sides.
Dig in curves of the Creek, move a few rocks.
Above all, have fun!

#108 3 years ago

The "Green" initiatives will rely heavily on copper and silver remaining affordable as well as obtainable. There is a lot of pressure right now for purchases of physical silver from "mom and pop" investors.
Pure speculation, I would not be surprised to see initiatives from the Feds to label these resources as Critical.
Much like key assets were labeled necessary during WW2 thus removing them from the Market along with the inherent speculation that leads to shortages.
I do not see Gold facing the same restrictions unless former buyers of Silver turn to the yellow stuff(which they will).
The Government turning to electric Fleet vehicles, massive increase in charging stations along with already astronomic production of wind turbines, solar cells and battery production will require a massive amount of copper and silver.
For it to be implemented successfully these resources must remain affordable.
Faith in precious metals threatens the same in fiat currencies (the dollar).

#110 3 years ago

Excellent Presentation! Always loved good Powerpoints.
May be my imagination but some switch points on EM look gold, or gold plated.
I like all the Noble metals, Silicon and Manganese Bronze boat parts, Copper isn't too shabby either.

#111 3 years ago

I hold PM for Mad Max scenarios. In this scenario power is down or sparse, Internet access a precious luxury. Barter with something of value thats Universally recognized.
However security has always been a sticking point with precious metals.
Where the gold is, who has it are liabilities. "That guy just paid with a 2 gram bar, bet he has more"
Old timers buried it in yards, lowered jars of it into outhouses tied by a string under the seat, stashed it in chimneys and under stairwells.
My Friend owned an undocumented Civil War field Hospital (basically a really nice house in Souther Virginia).
They metal detected it and found stashes of coins and odd keepsakes in a predictable half circle in the back. Wounded patients couldn't go far but feared being ripped off while under the knife.
If crooks know you have a safe they throw a rusted 25 in your face to open it. Going around Town paying for things with PM when everybody else is struggling can go 2 ways, slipping tips for good will and some semblance of security or everybody watching and waiting to rob you.
Bottom line? If you are stacking for a grid down future keep your dealing with a few key Players, fuel, food, hardware.

#112 3 years ago

So where do you hold PM?
There is no perfect place. Home in a pinball machine coin tray? Slow them down a couple of hours.
A Bank safety deposit box? Safest, until the Bank locks its doors due to a run or other circumstance prevents access (Federal intervention, audit or internal limitations imposed by the Branch.)
Hidden? Backyard vault, mattress, vehicle? You must share the location with loved ones, opening them to repercussions.
Vehicles are open to random searches, the LE can seize cash and assets through forfeiture laws.
In the 1800's (and earlier) people sewed valuables inside their coat, or garment.
Home safe? Gun safe or any safe? A liability if anyone knows about it.
If you have precious metals keep it to yourself. This thread was a mistake in a way. Not a time to toot your horn when so many criminals roam.
Thanks for everyones input, good to meet a Miner, shipwreck aficionado and a professional coin Dealer.
As well as the Grey Men, everyday collectors you couldn't pick out from a crowd.
Embrace the Grey Man Concept.

#116 3 years ago

I am beginning to feel that pinball machines are an actual hedge on par with precious metals.
They have a set price that remains solid even during periods of wild pricing.
The consistency of same or higher pricing during the last 14 Months has been remarkable, it would be interesting to see a chart detailing this period.
A desirable shopped EM has reached commodity status. An unlisted, unregulated untracked commodity.
So has the usual player-status or better fully working Bally SS machine.
Bottom line certain pinball machines can be an excellent hedge equal to gold and silver for wealth preservation.
Of course this can change at any moment.

Quoted from Coindork:

In the 90s we had a client that was buying 1000oz silver bars. He would paint them completely white and put them in his back yard as bricks around a planter box.
Sounds crazy, but no one knew what they were or even looked at them twice.

Wasn't there a true story of a Guy with a gold toilet?
In plain sight.

#117 3 years ago

While silver has been quietly creeping up to 29 spot an oz Gold jumps 30 to back over 1800.
Hard head stackers have not been swayed by ridiculous premiums over spot and continue buying what they can find.
I am curious what will happen if the Market corrects for a few days.

#119 3 years ago

I am glad you recognize the PPT, many do not.
No matter how skillful the days come when they cannot manipulate and all chaos takes over for awhile.
I could care less if silver goes to 30, or 50.
When it hits 100 (and it will) then my ears perk up.

#120 3 years ago

The younger Crowd enjoys quick results, hence their preference for Crypto Vs physical metals.
The older Crowd goes by the adage "Good things come to those who wait".
The few Royal Families and Monarchs left in the World hold gold.
Many Countries have went through the repatriation process to return reserves held in foreign vaults.
JP Morgan is famous for its bullion holdings, many others less famous hold more.
There is a good reason for this.

#122 3 years ago

An important point.
Gold is a vital high tech metal because of its unique properties as a superior electrical conductor that does not corrode or tarnish (unlike copper or silver). So for important, reliable and quick electrical connections that cannot fail gold is used in communication devices, computer networks, cell phones, ABS brakes, air bags, car keys, lab and medical equipment, smoke detectors, pacemakers, satellite dishes, TVs, jet engines, fuel cells, military devices and other applications.
Interesting that in that regard cryptos require gold, however gold does not require cryptos.
Quite ironic that the vast and growing amount of electrical use and connections required for the digital and crypto worlds requires an ever increasing amount of gold! I can embrace that fact and it essentially means that high tech and cryptos are dependent on gold.
Over a ten year average, 2008 - 2017, the technology sector used an average of 9% or 384 tonnes (~12.3 million troy ounces) of annual gold supply. (source: World Gold Council)[quoted image]

Do you have a Chart that shows how much is thrown in landfills/ not recycled?
The chemical process to recover these metals can be gnarly but there are a couple of state of the art large scale facilities that make it look easy.

#124 3 years ago

There are those who envision one day the landfills being dug up to reclaim metals.
Thanks for the insight, a throwaway economy doesn't last forever.

#125 3 years ago

Locked in a good price on 2 gram gold bar and 1 ounce Krugerrand. Krugerrands were hot 20 years ago, not sure why they fell out of favor but always wanted one.
Now we will see what kind of delay is involved with shipping.

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

During apartheid the importation of Krugerrands was illegal due to U.S. sanctions on South Africa.
It’s lifted now, so they are easier to get.

That makes sense. Do you know if the purity for the gold and silver Kruger is the same as the American Eagle?

#129 3 years ago

You know your Business, thanks! My first ounce was a Maple Leaf, the owner of the Company gave all the employees one. This was around 1980, seems it had shot up but was rapidly dropping.
Once you get your first gold coin you are hooked for life.

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I know it probably won’t happen in my lifetime, but I like to envision future man mining the asteroid belt between Jupiter and Mars. There’s a lot of raw material and metal just floating around out there.
Many iron/nickel asteroids contain a lot of other metals in their alloy. Some contain precious metal and other rare earth elements in the mix.
It’s interesting to think about.

We have had some close calls in the past few years, it is possible one may deliver the goods directly to a neighborhood close by.
Looks like higher ten-year yields have led to a stronger dollar, tanking gold prices. Or something is "Broken" in the system as the talking finance heads keep saying.
Any other analysis/guesses?

#133 3 years ago

Older people who may have been poor at one time in their life appreciate precious metals.
These Folks were angry when they took silver out of currency in 63. There were as many
rumors and conspiracies back then about this one act as there are today concerning Fed and Bank manipulation.
It didn't help that a few years later Nixon dropped the Gold standard and rendered gold possession illegal.
This fueled a Generation that eagerly purchased silver coins directly from the US Mint when it the option became available.
All of my Uncles, poor dirt and hog farmers suddenly waiting at the mail box for their silver shipments. Soon, they all had Uncirculated in sealed plastic bags, usually with some Emblem denoting what it was on the other side.
This fit neatly in a bank-envelope usually dark blue.
Kids began to receive them as stocking stuffers, we all became aware of "Real money" Versus the other kind.
I read a comment the other day, " Old Men with their silver and guns won't survive whats coming."
You need to understand where they are coming from.

#134 3 years ago

As I understand it if gold drops below 1700 this week the next threshold is 1630. As the Stock Market trades sideways in a general downward trend gold will follow in the short term.
Of course the stimulus arrival has a lot to do with both Markets.
I don't see silver getting hit as hard percentage wise.
Not purchasing right now. Premiums are too high, waiting on availability.
A buying opportunity will result from a significant drop in price.

#135 3 years ago

Will we see sub 17 gold today?

BOOM! 1692. At least it was predictable.
1630 here we come.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from Londonpinball:

Who would you buy gold from online ?

Currently APMEX, however they are delaying my purchase for 10 days. Going to research local Dealers including pawn shops.
Up until my last order APMEX was on time, description accurate and Tracking given quickly.
This last order I thought was for in stock items and wouldn't experience delays, guess they pulled one over.

#143 3 years ago

Just an update.
Small order from APMEX Feb.25th
Shipping date given as March 5
March 5 they changed my shipping date to March 3?
When a Company that was promoted as "The Best" for precious metals starts pulling crap like this they get a
APMEX NOT RECOMMENDED.
I could understand if it was a large order, given current conditions.
But my items were listed as IN STOCK, not "Pending or pre-order"
They still flood my e-mail with "Just arrived" offers everyday. Going to find another supplier.
Won't be using APMEX in the future, not recommended.

#144 3 years ago

Update. I tried a live chat on the APMEX site but gave up after 30 minutes.
So I called and got the most pleasant sounding Rep. She looked it up and said there was no reason for this to be held up.
Also said everyone was just trying to get caught up so give it a couple more days.
I said thanks and thought, whatever they are paying you isn't enough, lets get married, now.

Precious metals suppliers have it rough right now, give them a break.

#145 3 years ago

Apmex shipped today. Just to let you know what you can possibly expect if you place an order. I pay with a debit card so it may be quicker if you pay another way or have a larger order..
Precious metals are a lot like pinball machines, when you do your research you find what is "Best and worst".
Right now 1/4 and 1/2 ounce gold American Eagles coins are hot despite the high premium.
American Silver Eagles have a high premium, are the most desirable to many people, easiest to sell.
Canadian Maple leafs both gold and silver are second and the premium a little lower.
Britannias are the most attractive, a little harder to get.
Krugerrand seems to have lost its luster a little. Deals can be had on the silver but the gold is as desirable as ever.
1 oz sliver bars are a great commodity, if from a reputable Supplier you will always get spot price if you decide to sale, perhaps a little more.
Worst? Huge 1000 oz silver bars, or larger.
Tiny 1000th of an ounce gold bars.
Gold foil "Bucks".
Non Assay gram gold.

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Currently my favorite coin. Best security features available, lower premium over spot than the eagle, Buffalo, or maple leaf, great design, backed by England and IRA qualified.

My next oz purchase.. Heard (Coindork could verify) that the security background pattern is lazer etched.

Sticking to fractional gold right now, despite the higher premiums I can budget Monthly purchases.

#148 3 years ago

I've become bearish on silver and bullish on gold.
Bigger investment with perceived smaller rewards with gold ,if you value physical weight.
Gold seems eternal, silver industrial. The potential for upside short term profits is with silver.
Gold is a long game, but a solid one.
People are buying gold quietly while silver harkers shout from the rooftops.
Silver will remain a Player no matter what happens. There is an underground economy that recognizes silver.

#150 3 years ago

If inflation rears its ugly head too bad all bets are off.
Stackers think they are going to sit back, watch the dollar sink and enjoy an underground economy.
Just like Bitcoin, if the manipulation of gold and silver prices fail, so does everything else.
All are related to the dollar.
Its a given any and all assets will be controlled, and taxed.
Gold and silver collections are "Feel good" movements in many ways removed from reality.

#151 3 years ago

Junk gold, silver, diamonds and copper, its everywhere.
The Lions Club was famous for collecting no longer used eyeglasses on drives. They provided vision enhancement for many that couldn't afford it, they still do.
The Pair in the photo without lenses are 12kt, low grade but still refineable.
The other pair are pince de noise, or pinch the nose. 22 Kt and I'm converting them to polarized sunglasses.
Also pictured is a heavy copper "Arthritic copper bracelet" popular in the 80's.
The Ladies watches are gold filled, the Company Fob solid 24kt.
All the other bric brac has little value, gold plated, gold filled.Small bag of diamonds removed from jewelry. On a bed of Euros.
Many of us have junk valuables piled up in boxes and scattered.
If it is a usable piece, like the sunglasses, bring it out and use it. Collect the rest and separate and identify it.
My Uncle Mickey bought bags of this stuff from Pawn Shops in Miami in the 70's, it was his job.
I was fascinated while he picked through it wearing a monacle and squinting.
In Miami at that time many rare watches in various need of repair was scrapped for gold and silver.
Uncle Mickey taught me the Trade. Miss him.
IMG_2305 (resized).JPGIMG_2305 (resized).JPG

#152 3 years ago

Mickey taught me how to differentiate grades of metal,based on color foremost, then hardness.
Showed me that any vintage gold will have some kind of stamp no matter how small.
It took a magnifying head piece to see the stamping on the glasses, really minuscule but there.
He only did the acid test if the Customer was adamant it was solid, otherwise, he knew the results.
Mickey and my Aunt Lilly lived in the Fountanblue Hotel in Miami. After the Jackie Gleason heyday it fell in disrepair and was rented out in apartments.
Remember going through the basement to the one working elevator and seeing the old Jackie Gleason Props stored there in piled up and cobweb condition.
Mickey also ran a salvage warehouse at that time, he gave us early Spanish-language Superman comics and fishing lures.
He had a hooked pick that he used to tear apart watches, brooches, rings. we went through many bags, everyday.

He also ended up with many musical instruments, I remember a rare piccolo he brought to our house at Christmas and played and sang a dozen Hannakah songs live in our living room.
We were amazed.

#154 3 years ago

That is awesome right there! Thanks for sharing Tiger. I'm not quite there yet in the gold department.

#160 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Eagles and Buffalos going bandannas with the premium

There is perceived higher value with American gold.
I read several comments today from younger stackers and one stood out.
"Coin collecting is over, it's all about bullion weight now"
I am sure many collectors would disagree, these revelations are coming from a new (younger, less experienced)breed.
I did notice some silver Bar offerings in the 1 ounce range not only out of stock but commanding like premiums with coins of the same size.

#162 2 years ago

Small order for March, arrived in 5 days. 5 Gram Credit Suisse and 2 Krugerrand's (silver). I really like the fractional Liberty Valcambi and will go for a 10 gram in April. The milk spotting problems with the earlier Krugers seems to have been resolved, nice looking coins.
Going to concentrate on gold and let silver ride for awhile until premiums come down.

IMG_2306 (resized).JPGIMG_2306 (resized).JPG
2 months later
#177 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I buy and sell coins for a living and have done so for nearly 30 years.
I’m not saying it not doable, but it’s going to take a lot more than them each buying one silver coin. I think you underestimate how much silver there is in the world and how much of it has been minted into coin form.

This early advice from Coindork was spot on.
There is TONS of silver and gold out there.
Ask yourself, by stacking what do you intend to achieve?
Do you hope to have something of value to Barter with in a tight spot?
Or replace your cash or the majority of your currency with a PM?
Perhaps its somewhere in between.
Either way, just be aware this stuff isn't rare, as far as silver and gold bullion bars and coins go.

#179 2 years ago

The 10th ounce Brittania at 220 looked attractive compared to the alternatives.
Credit Suisse bars (which I like) are still too high.

1 week later
#181 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammer1021:

New coin arrived, thought I'd share.
[quoted image]

Looks killer! A silver round that could become collectable. Interesting that they used a Rickenbacker guitar in the image.
Could you share where this is available?

2 weeks later
#184 2 years ago

Watching the price movement of gold and silver and I imagine some guy in a dusty office.
"Silver is at 28 dollars Sir, what should we do?"
"Drop it to 26.30"
"What justification do we publish for this move?"
"Just do it, and raise the price of gold 12 dollars. We don't need no justification"

Seriously, holding and watching for now, premiums are just ridiculous, especially on Silver Eagles.
Most stackers seem to be doing the same. Plenty of overpriced stock out there.
It doesn't help that the Type 2 ASE is butt-ugly and looks like a generic round.
When I buy again it will be gold, given up on silver realizing any significant gains unless SHTF.

2 weeks later
#202 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinplayer:

Just picked up this beauty last week. It's the 1/2 oz version.
[quoted image]

Really nice!
Despite the premiums people want American gold and silver.
Do not worry if gold or silver goes up or down. Its a store of wealth.
So what if it drops in price along with the Stock Market?
It will drop in price along with the Market for awhile. Then, it will rise, despite manipulation.
Economic Reality will dictate it.
Crypto too difficult to access. Dollar purchasing power annihilated especially considering Visa-Type fees.
All of the Vendors you actually interface with, tow trucks, fuel, tires, supplies on a local level begin to sense the dollar is weakened.
Suddenly, if you can pay in silver an ounce of recognizable quality jumps to 100 dollars for a tow.
2 grams of Gold will buy you 500 dollars in supplies.
Precious metals are for times like these. Prices are controlled for now, seriously controlled.
But there will come a time they can't control them.

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

Ok thanks so no reason to go thru all of the dimes? Best place to sell or just hold onto them really don’t collect coins?

Silver American-issue dimes are the perfect bartering tool.
If Silver jumps in price due to a catastrophe the price will be much higher.
Someone with a 100oz Bar may have a hard time moving it at the higher value.
Dimes are a small, easily recognizable source of silver that can be traded at true value.
Hold on to them!

#213 2 years ago

Took advantage of the dip and placed an order for 1/10 gold Eagle and some Maple Leaf 1oz. Premium still high but overall price way down ( from 290 a few Months back to 239 today for the Eagle).
Going to continue to buy if the price keeps dropping. Going to limit purchases to North American products (even though I still love Brittanias, Perth Kangaroos and Krugerrand.
Remember, for the long term stacker price dips like these are a blessing.
We all know that when SHTF the price on Gold will skyrocket. Not so certain about Silver but can't resist when it gets low.
Pics when it comes in.

#215 2 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

which 1 oz gold coin is best to invest in? american gold eagle, maple leaf, krugerrand?

If you live in the US the American Eagle, followed by the 24 karat American Buffalo.
Third the Maple Leaf. The Maple Leaf is actually 24 carat, versus 22 for the Eagle.
Familiarity dictates desirability. You may have to use it for Barter one day or sell to a less than knowledgable Buyer and not everyone is familiar with all the different Mints of the World.
A new type of Buyer is emerging that wants ONLY 24 karat (pure) Gold and snubs Eagles and Kruggerands.
The Gold Brittania is 24 carat and employees better security features than all the rest.
The SA Kruggerand is (or was) the most recognized gold coin in the World, anywhere but North America.
But everyone likes and prefers the American Gold offerings, hence the highest premiums upon purchase.

It all depends on what your goals are, short term, long or apocalypse.
Some prefer maximum weight like Bars or generic rounds.
Counterfeiting is rampant so make sure whatever you buy is REAL.

#216 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, my order from earlier in the week arrived and will be headed to the bank for safe keeping. If you ever wondered about the size of a one gram coin…it is truly puny. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

First 1 gram maple leaf I've seen. At 89 (today) more desirable than a generic bar. Will order one next time, thanks!
That little coin could buy your groceries for a week in the future.

#224 2 years ago

Just couldn't resist making another purchase while prices for both metals are still on the down-low (even though Gold is creeping back up to previous levels)
I found that the 1/4 ounce gold Kangaroo (both available and a decent price at 516) the best deal of the day.
Always try to include a little Silver with every order so ..
A 1 OZ Silver Perth Mint Kookaburra.A coin I would have not considered a few weeks ago since it enjoys semi-collectible potential and carried a hefty premium.
As far as Perth purity Gold is 999.9, 24 karat, same as the Britainia and Maple Leaf.
Even though the American Eagle still contains the same amount of pure Gold it is an alloy containing Silver and Copper (it actually weighs over an ounce to compensate for these alloys.)
I topped off the order with an old favorite and what I consider an under-appreciated coin, not for its silver bullion value (its 40 percent per 1 OZ) but its iconic Moon Landing Eagle reverse design, the Eisenhour silver dollar.
I bought a Proof at 12, great deal in my opinion.
Here is the deal, tucking away cash you waste every week in to a viable asset is not a bad thing if you enjoy it.
Cash is like water, it only flows by you one time. Stop a little of it and put it into something long lasting.
Worried about the bottom dropping out?
So are Bitcoin, Real Estate, Equity and Commodity aficionados.

#226 2 years ago

Think of where and what the POG (Price of Gold) would scream

I think its getting ready to scream.
Gold is where its at right now. Too much Silver on the Market with inflated premiums.
Too many bulk bars and generic rounds.
Silver is for two kinds of people. Those who believe it will double in price the next 6 Months.
And those who imagine spending it (Barter) when other currencies collapse.
Gold is a different story. Many advise you to become your own Central Bank (hypothetically).
Precious metals play a part in having a well rounded Portfolio.
You can carry around a million dollars worth of gold coins and bullion sewn in your coat. (OK, maybe not a million) but try that with Silver.
It's too heavy Man! Its too damn Loud!
Gold may be the perfect currency. !000 dollar coin and your purchase is 240?
Pull out some nippers and cut a corner off. Got portable scales? Get it exact.
May come to that, only works with gold.
Just think gold is where you need to be right now.

#228 2 years ago

Is your gold and silver real? Do you know how to tell?
Following from the ACTF.org. (Anti counterfeiting task force)
The Morgan silver dollar is the most frequently counterfeited U.S. coin.
U.S. silver and gold American Eagle bullion coins top the list of most frequently encountered fakes. Some 43.3 percent of coin dealers in the United States report encountering customers seeking to sell them counterfeit silver American Eagle bullion coins. Similarly, 41.2 percent report customers trying to sell them fake gold American Eagle bullion coins. Fake foreign gold bullion coins encountered include the South African gold Krugerrand at 30.4 percent, the Canadian gold Maple Leaf at 24.2 percent, and Mexican gold 50 pesos at 20.1 % percent. PAMP (Suisse) gold ingots and bars are the worldwide market leader; 57.8 percent of U.S. dealers in the survey reported customers seeking to sell them counterfeit gold PAMP bars and 36.1 percent reported encountering fakes of Australia’s Perth Mint gold bars.

Learn some simple tests like the ping test.
Use a rare earth magnet to check for iron.
Buy from reputable Dealers.
If unsure have your coins and bars checked by a Pro,its worth the Fee.
Packaging and Registration numbers MEAN NOTHING until the coin/bar itself is verified.
They are counterfeiting EVERYTHING Folks!

1 week later
#233 2 years ago

We have reached the point where gold and silvers true value will only become reality when most other diversions fail.
These include crypto, Bonds and cash.
The price is trying to reach a point to where it too expensive for Joe Six Pack but still affordable for major players.
Fractional Gold (1/10, 1/4 oz, 1- 5 grams) is still where its at. Insist on 24 KT (this excludes Eagles and Krugerrand.)
A one ounce gold coin could actually be a burden in a SHTF scenario, nobody is carrying around several thousand dollars in viable goods or cash.
If they know you have a big coin it opens you up to robbery or worse.
The 2200 dollars worth of gold I have recently acquired fits in my wallet. Really amazing.
Same amount of silver would require a hand truck (exaggeration but you get the point)
Now realize those Ladies during the Civil War who sewed pouches of small gold in the hem of their skirt or in their jacket were wise. Out of sight out of mind.
Buy a few grams to make sure you can get groceries. Do it now.

#238 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

If we are talking about a Mad Max style apocalyptic future, I would tell you that gold and silver would be worthless.

Rather then Mad Max or Walking Dead I see Venezuela as the example the US may follow.
The Civil War is another.
In both cases those who have items with value could barter for necessities.
Thanks for the comments everyone, good stuff.

#243 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

How do you get in good with a pawn shop? Thanks again!

I have been ripped off several times by Pawn Shops until I learned.
Paid a ticket for Months to save my Brothers Gibson only to find out it was gone when I went to redeem it.
Took a box of junk rings with high quality diamonds in them and got spot price for the gold.
Those stones don't grow on trees. Learned later this is "Gravy" for coin dealers.
What was so precious when purchased becomes dingy rocks in a ring. The Diamond Market is a whole different subject.
When I sold my first gold coin, a 1 ounce Maple Leaf gifted by my Employer in 1985 there were several Gold Buyers that popped up overnight, usually in Hotel Lobbies.
Walked in, a beautiful Girl at a small glass plant stand with a scale(electronic but not yet digital.)
She looked bored. Couple of glances and threw it in a bin.
Few minutes later left with a check for 580 bucks.
There will always be serious people buying gold.
Every Pawn Shop is different though, many are reputable.

#245 2 years ago

Took advantage of the recent price drop in metals, gold and silver.IMG_2336 (resized).JPGIMG_2336 (resized).JPG

1/10 OZ Eagle, Liberty, Philharmonic and 1/4 OZ Kangaroo

IMG_2339 (resized).jpgIMG_2339 (resized).jpg

Some coins to note, 1948 Mexican 5 Peso, a nice Kookaburra and a first strike Eagle. The Eisenhour Dollar is 40% silver but almost looks copper in this pic.
Now waiting for another dramatic drop in price and premium, keeping the powder dry till then.

#246 2 years ago

Closer look at a few US Mint offerings. 2018 Gold Liberty 1/10. Lot of swag comes with a Proof set. This one is 24Kt unlike the American Eagle. Caught this at 285, still offered at 335. Not a very popular coin but I think it should go up a little in years to come since its the first portrayal of Liberty as a Black Woman and collectors realize its significance.
Purchased for my 1st Granddaughter for her birth year.
IMG_2348 (resized).jpgIMG_2348 (resized).jpgIMG_2346 (resized).jpgIMG_2346 (resized).jpgIMG_2341 (resized).jpgIMG_2341 (resized).jpg

Next is a 2021 Silver Proof set that included 2 extra quarters. Dime, Quarters and Kennedy half 999 silver. Some people break these up and sell the coins separately. Purchased for my second Granddaughters birth year.
IMG_2352 (resized).JPGIMG_2352 (resized).JPGIMG_2354 (resized).JPGIMG_2354 (resized).JPG

Deals from the US Mint are hard to come by so shop wisely.

#250 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

A German woman burning stacks of paper money

Germans gold purchases have went up markedly, the Philharmonic a steady favorite but Perth Mint a second choice with the Brittania a close third. Again, Europeans prefer 24 Kt over 22.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’ve been flirting with making another order for more than a month now

For some reason I feel like the Walking Liberty halves are a deal, recognizable American silver with a low premium.
If you are like me you want to take advantage of free shipping for 200 bucks worth.
But that Ultra Man is...Ultra!

Quoted from Coindork:

Take building material as an example and the rising costs of lumber.

Lumber has come down a lot, at least here.

Quoted from Onwallst:

Those are beautiful. Gold is going to start to run as inflation is real in my opinion.

Thanks,I like this rendition of Liberty. People are smart, they know Gold is the..shit.
Silver has been pumped and continues to be pumped.
People like to lump Gold together with Silver, like Silver will gain from the association.
I'm convinced we are talking about 2 different things.
Do not look at Gold/Silver ratio charts. Why do it?
Countries of the World are buying Gold. Period.

#253 2 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Phil-Lee where do you buy the walking liberty halves with free shipping over $200? Thanks

Amex offers free shipping for orders over 200.
Haven't bought any Walking Liberty halves yet. Just exploring alternatives to the over-priced Silver Eagle. May get into American 90% more since its recognizable to most people.

#259 2 years ago

Excellent collection Athen! As times get hard people will dig in to their collections and spend silver, I had to use silver certificates to buy formula and diapers one time long ago.
APMEX is kind of expensive compared to other places but the service and quality is great, thats why I go there. Always look for the guy at a glass case in Flea Markets and Antique Shops.

#260 2 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Great thread! I’ve never been an active buyer of precious metals but I’ve always kept any silver I’ve ever come across. I’d like to start diversifying my portfolio and am interested in gold and silver. I have stocks, bonds, bitcoin, etc. and would like to own physical gold and silver. I’ll post a couple pics of some of the silver I’ve come across over the years in a bit.

Post it,we all love precious metals porn.

1 week later
#261 2 years ago

Some people are trying to peg Silver to Copper, a marked change to Silver being the cousin of Gold.
Makes sense, silver is primarily an Industrial metal, a key player for future alternative energy and communication devices.
Except the purity required for efficient electronics is much less than a 4 nines Maple Leaf.
These guys don't want silver to spike, at all. It has to be readily available at a cheap price.
Just like copper.
I don't want to say silver prices will become political. Instead I will say silver, and copper prices have become political.
Gold rises above the fray. It is a Standard by which all other alternative currencies or stores of wealth are compared.
So you pay 450 dollars for gold. Its damn small. Gold is expensive.
The average person isn't going to fill up an old tackle box with it.
So every dollar put in to PM is a dollar taken out of circulation and stored for a future fund.
A lot of people around the World are trying to obtain PM. Hell, anyone with any sense is trying to buy PM.
Joe Six pack in Germany buying so much gold coin recently perked my ears up.
I admire the German people.

#262 2 years ago

I like coins that have that "Klink"
Coins you can handle and play with and look up close without a plastic covering.
Don't like coins stapled in cardboard holders with Misc wrote all over.
Don't really like Proof Sets hermetically sealed in plastic or thick Poly cases.
Do like Proof Coins, ultimate cool.
Basically my future purchases will be coins that I can handle. Don't mind wearing cotton gloves to keep them nice.
The "Mint Direct and First strike eligible" sealed coins are crying out to be freed from their bogus packaging.
Theres really nothing like having a pile of vintage coins to play with.
The tactile experience in many ways drives the current hysteria. Thats a good thing.

#264 2 years ago

Really like, especially the George Washington. Thanks for sharing!

#265 2 years ago

How to get deals in Precious Metals
This could turn in to 2 parts, bear with me.
Metal Detecting/Ground Sonar/ River digging and sifting.
Many excellent videos out there, I will just add for the best results think like Gold.
Its heavier than everything else and will settle in cracks.
Research! Contact Owners of obscure properties and search foundations of vanished dwellings.
Gold and Silver reclaim.
Nasty Business but lucrative if you know the Process. Again, several good videos out there on how to reclaim Gold and Silver from electronic components and it will involve chemicals and heat.
Lot Purchase from Estate Sales. Many people luck up.
I was dumping my garbage in a bin at the local County-run Collection Center.
Noticed a desk and then noticed a ceramic coin Bank that was broken.
Coins were spilling out of it. This observation took 2 seconds.
Retrieved 57 Susan B. Anthony dollar coins (shared them with the Girl working that day)
A wad of Paper money (most from Haiti and Northern South America, worthless)
Start accepting Silver and Gold coins as payment for your product.
You would be surprised how quickly your Collection will add up.
Purchase from others.
Let your friends know you are interested in buying their old coins. No need to try and rip them off, be honest.
It will pay dividends in the long term.
No telling what they may present for sale.

#266 2 years ago

Anyone following please do me a favor;
Have a local store you regularly stop in? Maybe one operated by a friend or relative?
Asl them if they would ever take silver or gold as payment.
Just curious. I have identified several local Vendors that would take silver and gold for their services.
May just be a small Town thing, like to know how it is in your area.
Thanks!

#268 2 years ago

Friday night meandering thoughts, didn't know a better place to say it.
A lot of talking heads are shouting Prepare!. Still unclear what to prepare for, already have some emergency supplies.
So been rebuilding my truck. Used to joke at work if they seen me driving this wheelbarrow with an engine I was making money. Hauling.
There is untold accumulated wealth sitting around in storage right now.
We have been blessed living during prosperous times most of our lives. The poorest among us still have it better in many ways to medieval Kings.
Old cars? Deals are out there if you can work on them (kinda like EM pinball)
Functional Antiques? The Market is down generally for Antique furniture.
But if its an old item thats still useful, made solid in America, it is valuable.
I'm starting a "I will clean out your shed/need something hauled away?/ -Type local Business.
Basically a sign at the road with a Number and word of mouth.
Need the exercise. Meet a few folks. Make a few contacts.
Lived here since 98 and know very few people.
You may say "Right" but the money is not the main goal.
I love junk. Salvage. It's in my blood.
Seeing true value in cast out items, gleaning (second harvest) another viable albeit shorter life from something deemed near-worthless.
Looking to sell something? Been thinking about it for awhile but it just gets put off?
There is no better time than now.
The "Old" pricing is still here. Inflated prices for trinkets.
When the "New" pricing takes effect it will be quick, and mind blowing.
People will not have as much disposable income (if any)
Until then I'm going to, Like my Pop always said, "Strike while the pans hot"

#271 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I've heard over $300,000 in Goldbacks have been sold and there is a waiting list for states to have their Goldbacks certified and made. Seems to be taking off.

Researching these now, so far very interesting concept.

Quoted from Crash:

John Deere push mower out of the shed from the early 80s

Something like that is worth repairing and using, unlike these plastic throw away mowers sold now.

Quoted from PinPatch:

If I decide to start stacking will probably go for Aussie silver as the transport fees are negligible, being in Australia.

Big fan of the Perth Mint offerings, quality 24k gold and 4nine silver. Would bet 100% percent mined in Country. Don't see many Aussie generic silver rounds but wouldn't hesitate to purchase.
Glad you are buying what you like and having fun, thats what its really all about.

#272 2 years ago

Let's look at the Philharmonic Gold from Austria.IMG_2361 (resized).jpgIMG_2361 (resized).jpg
Usually the lowest cost 24Kt Gold coin that enjoys Country of origin backing offered by the major Dealers.
Why?
There are several great videos from the Mint in Austria. These guys offer old World skill coupled with the highest technology.

So why is it so cheap?
The Design, primarily. Boring unless you share the Music Heritage of Europe and appreciate its importance (I do, Handel and Bach are close friends).
The other detriment could be considered a plus in the near future.
The denomination is in Euros.
So this is a black sheep Gold coin under-appreciated Globally with strictly bullion value?
Right now, yes. The Philharmonik is the perfect high quality,recognizable Gold coin that will redeem spot price with no problems. In certain Regions where 24Kt is demanded a Premium is not out of the question.
Lower initial purchase price, lower premiums,consistent quality.
Wouldn't Euro denomination be desirable should the US currency highly inflate/deflate or fail?
No comment.
IMG_2362 (resized).jpgIMG_2362 (resized).jpg

I prefer American Gold. So do a lot of people. But the Standard is changing.
People want bullion weight, not collector value speculation.
Not when precious metals are used as a hedge to protect some wealth when all else fails.
The American Gold Eagle premiums are putting it in a Collector price category millions Globally are rebelling against.
The Group that prefers American Gold, both new and Pre-1933, is waning.
The Group that prefers pure Gold for its Gram weight is increasing.

#275 2 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I feel like I've been overpaying.

No joke. Gold is at 1794 and APMEX has it at 1800+ all day.
Been watching some prices closely for a week and they actually go UP as the spot price goes down.
Thanks for reminding me, going to visit a few Local Coin guys for my next purchase.

#276 2 years ago

Recommendations coming from a variety of Preppers, Financial Gurus etc telling us to put fiat currency in to viable commodities such as Generators, Solar, Guns, Precious Metals, long term storage food, water filters.
Evidently Pinball machines have been identified as a commodity that holds/increases its value.
One of the only reasons I can reach as to the astronomical prices from the recent Banning Auction.
People want to get out of the Dollar and put it into something viable.

#279 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Most sites have veteran discounts. Gets you the 100+ price even if you are purchasing only one. Just FYI. Canadian maple leafs are a decent premium and liquidity. IMHO.

You are right, Silver Maples have been affordable. The fractional 1/10 Gold Maples are still too high though.
Thats what I'm shopping for. Love the small Gold.

#280 2 years ago

Be aware if the Online source for your PM purchases keeps a running record.
This is usually under "Account".
If a seizure were to take place they would have your records.
if you have a store of metals (wealth) anonymity is best.
How much? Location?
This is Proprietary information to only be shared among Family.
Eliminate the E-Trail

#285 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Government doesn’t know what you do with your gold. You could buy today sell tomorrow. Lol.

Thousands of new IRS Agents are being hired.
Every transaction over 600 dollars will be recorded.
Yes, you could have traded or sold your purchase, may need receipts.
The "Lost it in a boating accident" is already taken for 2nd A.
No need to be paranoid, just saying Federal snooping in our sales/purchases will increase dramatically.
Again, with a store of PM anonymity is best.

#290 2 years ago

Price is down on PM? Not really.
Coins I was looking at yesterday and the day before dropped very little or not at all.
Still not a time to buy or sell.
Coins anyway.

#297 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Thats grey sheet on eagles with mint packaging which is a different animal, but it shows you which dates have bigger premiums as greysheet doesn’t list rolls.
Here’s the buy sell spread on rolls at the moment, however thing like the 1986 and other early date rolls are better.
[quoted image]

Appreciate you Posting the Chart, simple and very informative.
Rookies or old timers need one of these printed out/laminated.
Even when it is out of date the difference can be easily figured.

#300 2 years ago

I would like to see both Stock and PM Markets return to realistic levels.
Allows old money to re-enter Investments.
High Premiums will continue to a certain level. They are easier to fathom when the Spot price is down.

Not a good time to buy or sell. Prices could go much lower.

#302 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Silver is still down, buy the dip!

In response to your earlier question,
There are many youtube videos on copper ingot manufacture. I've watched these guys and basically the ingot mold is the critical part.
Otherwise wrap all of your wire (I assume its been stripped?_ on a chunk of pure copper, not a copper pipe.
Put the tightly wrapped coil in a heavy cast iron pot.
Hit it with a torch. Support the pot where heat can be readily applied under and around the pot.
Use a big torch, not some portable weenie unit.
The Sh%t will melt.
You will notice a "Scum" layer form on the top of the liquid metal.
These are impurities, scoop them off (a quick flick of the wrist.)
Then pour the copper in the mold.
Cool, then remove.
People used to use cast iron "Corn Cob" baking pans to pour ingots. Especially for lead but works for copper/brass too.

#303 2 years ago

Discovered the Bavaria Mint. Oldest Mint in Europe. They produce most of the general circulation Euro coins as well as Olympic coins, Medals and Legal Stamps (think Notary stamp machines.)
They also produce Somalia Gold and Silver coins.
I ordered the Elephant 1/10 and 1/25 ounce Gold coins.

Kind of an inside secret on this coin,impeccable mintage, detail and collectibility produced by a German Mint.
The 24Kt Somalia gold elephant coins are not recognized by Somalia. Seems some long-ago Finance Minister or Prime Minister signed an agreement to mint the coin years ago.
The current Head Honcho of Somalia disputes the Bavarian Mints right to make the coin.
So We have what could become an illegal coin.
Don't matter, its an affordable 24Kt coin backed by the Bavarian Mint.
Pictures will come upon arrival.
Also ordered one of the Silver Elephants just because..

1 week later
#306 2 years ago

As promised the Somalia Gold / Silver.
The 1/10 ounce is 20MM, same size as a 1/4 OZ Kangaroo(included a AMGE 1/10 and 1/4 Perth Kangaroo for comparison) This makes the coin extremely thin. You can see the Design better.
Same quality on the 1/25 OZ 2021 that comes in at 14mm.
The Bavarian Mint does an exceptional job on the strike and presentation. 24Kt/ 999.9 Gold.
The Silver coin is a perfect mirror background with proof-like Elephant (not a milkspot but a stray finger smudge). Difficult to photograph where the background doesn't appear black.
They change the design annually so there is somewhat of a Collectors angle. Will be revisiting This Series but very pleased with these coins.IMG_2373 (resized).jpgIMG_2373 (resized).jpgIMG_2371 (resized).jpgIMG_2371 (resized).jpg

#308 2 years ago

People freak out when the price of silver drops like it has the past few weeks.
They don't understand the commodity.
Forget looking at charts, ratio to gold, past performance. The Market is controlled by large holders of the metal.

When it goes down you would think it would be dramatically cheaper to buy. Not so.
If you watch PM Retailers prices the premiums remain close to the same. Or they pull availability for existing stock.
When certain items become unavailable everyone screams "Silver shortage"
The price creeps back up/ availability returns.
There is no shortage of silver, TONS out there.
If you are waiting for fire-sale prices on silver Eagles it's not going to happen.
They are now numismatic (collectors) coins.

I no longer believe in silver as a viable asset to accumulate with current inflated premiums.
Tired of hearing "to the moon" price predictions from people pushing sales.

Realize that the premiums allow coin dealers to survive and thrive.

Gold, however, is in a different league.
It's simple really, 200 pounds of silver to sell? I don't want tonnage. Thats for truck loads of scrap iron,copper,aluminum and stainless.
China, European Nations, many others are buying gold. I don't know one of them buying silver bricks and storing it unless its for Manufacturing purposes.
JP Morgan owns enough silver bricks to control the price Globally.
As long as the silver price remains manipulated I have enough.
Gold value to weight ratio is more important to me.
Small, transportable, concealable,universally recognized as valuable.
Consistent small purchases over time wins over "Corner the Market" schemes.

#310 2 years ago

https://cdn.jmbullion.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/who-owns-the-most-silver-bullion-today-image-4-e1492548619938.jpg
Thanks for the comprehensive charts!
A companion Chart illustrating JP Morgan silver holdings.

#311 2 years ago

What would you rather have?
2 each 1 Oz American silver Eagle type 1 OR
1 gram of gold

Your input will help. Thanks.

1 week later
#314 2 years ago

I appreciate your response, the American silver and gold offerings have a strong following.
The reality is anything from the major mints is recognizable. Most everyone knows a Maple,
Krugerrand or Brittania. The Perth Mint in Australia continues to produce coins and bullion in
a class of their own.
999 or 999.9 silver or gold will always be in demand and liquid. If it's on the coin and can be verified
it will sell, no matter the mint.
Silver rounds? Some of these are gaining street cred, Buffaloes, Sunshine Mint, Apmex are a few examples.
Foreign buyers are starting to snub the American Eagle. Not pure enough, too expensive (with premiums)
I personally do not like the design of the Type-2 Eagle silver and won't buy any at this time.
Do have a platinum 1/10 coming (pictures when it arrives) along with a Perth Swan and Tiger.
Stack a little at at time.
Stack what you can afford.
Never borrow money to purchase precious metals.

#315 2 years ago

Thought I was done with silver.
Took advantage of lower spot to snag a couple Perth Mint offerings.
The Swan, Kookaburra and the 2022 Tiger have higher premiums then the lowly Kangaroo, but are much higher quality.
They also enjoy limited numbers of coins minted.
In a nutshell, they are collectable numismatic coins whose value should grow with time.
IMG_2374 (resized).jpgIMG_2374 (resized).jpg

Find it interesting the 1/10 Oz Platinum Kook has a value of 15 dollars, where the much larger silver coins are a dollar.
Will be collecting more Platinum in the coming Months.
IMG_2379 (resized).JPGIMG_2379 (resized).JPG

It is near impossible to capture the beauty of these coins, sorry for the shoddy photos.
Really like Perth stuff, no milk spots, comes in capsules and the premium coins look almost proof-like.
Just another bad picture that shows the Tiger a little better.

IMG_2377 (resized).jpgIMG_2377 (resized).jpgIMG_2383 (resized).JPGIMG_2383 (resized).JPG
#317 2 years ago

"53.62 by late Summer early Fall 2023."
Countries have been formed, prospered,and destroyed in lesser time frames.
Thanks for the information!
Current conditions with possible unforeseen event probability high prevent me from looking that far into the future.

#320 2 years ago

I'm bullish on Platinum. Increased 56 bucks an Oz.today
Platinum is a sleeper metal with great upside potential.
There is a buzz going on about Platinum right now, probably started with the 1 trillion dollar coin rumors.
What will sustain it is important uses in hydrogen cell- fuel engines.
Whether it drops tomorrow or not shopping for more, looking at 5 gram bars.

#326 2 years ago

I like the Credit Suisse bars, others prefer PAMP or Apmex. As long as its from a reputable Dealer even the Secondary Market stuff is fine. These have the Assay Certification and fit easily in a wallet. IMG_2335 (resized).JPGIMG_2335 (resized).JPGIMG_2385 (resized).JPGIMG_2385 (resized).JPG

As far as size, Marker D is correct, 1Oz is a better price for the amount you get.
Depends on what your goals are. I like fractional even with the higher premiums. If you are not flush with cash purchasing a 2 gram or a 5 gram won't put the rent in jeopardy.
Also if in the future goes up to say 3000 dollars? A 1 ounce coin may be a little to difficult to move outside of a PM Dealer.
1/2 Oz is the largest I want to hold right now.

The best gold purchase is the one you can afford.

#330 2 years ago
Quoted from MarklarD:

Physical metals should be a long term mind set in my opinion.

KEY POINT
The reason I don't mind premiums is a belief the metals I purchase will go up in value.
The paper PM Market cannot keep prices down or fixed long term, though they have done a good job so far.
My stack is going in to a coin collection for two little girls, 2 and 4.
Not sure I will be here when they sell them but want to give the maximum "WOW" factor when they do.
Why I'm still tempted by certain silver offerings. Gold will always be.. golden.
Platinum? Speculation.
All long term.

1 week later
#332 2 years ago

Something lit a fire under gold and silvers ass.
Perhaps Folks buying metals for Christmas gifts.
Giving 1/2 ounce silver to the younger kids this year.
Not sure how sustainable these price hikes are. Bears watching.

#334 2 years ago

A little rant here...
The Us Mint re-issued Morgan and Peace silver dollars this year.
Collectors are now receiving these offerings and Posting videos.
First, in my opinion they were overpriced, for 80 bucks I can purchase a good example of the real thing.
Second, Mint mark Carson City (CC) dollars are fake, since they were not minted at the now defunct Carson City Mint.
Third, the actual Bullion value is around 26 bucks.
They were hoping the collectible value would make up for all of these shortcomings.
Others saw a flip opportunity to make some fast cash.
As a collector, a stacker, I do not care for these coins. I see no inherent value and predict they will become a footnote instead of a lucrative item.
The pre-sale price has dropped significantly and will continue to drop.
You can't force collectability, it happens naturally.

#335 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Just got a new silver coin.
First of its kind
It’s 1 ounce .999 silver also loaded with .01 Eth and an NFT.
Pretty rare, mint of 200.
https://opensea.io/assets/0x09568688e4023e5d0c066dd171d678a97c72836d/1[quoted image]

A very interesting coin. Combining the best of both Worlds. Wonder if coins like these will become the norm in the future?
Is there a similar coin for Bitcoin? Thanks!

#341 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Ok got it. It seems folks on this thread seem to be more “accumulation” mode here. And yes kind of like the crypto people, but different.
Thanks

Some stackers want the prices to go up so they can liquidate current holdings. Enough people do this and the supply blows up and the price goes back down.
Others want the price to go down so they can accumulate more, the "Bulk Bullion" Folks.
I simply want a certain amount of PM so if the Dollar fails, or comes close to failing resulting in catastrophic inflation I have another means of paying for essentials.
Good reporting recently where people in Venezuela are shaving off Gold to pay for Motel rooms and haircuts.
A Room goes for half a gram (about 45 bucks US).
My motivations are drastic and not mainstream.
If all else fails I will have a great coin collection and store of wealth for my Granddaughters.

#342 2 years ago

A Trend that was in the background a few Months ago but gaining steam is "do not buy coins that feature the Queen".
First it was Buyers in Europe, India, parts of the Middle East insisting on 4-nines purity(24 Kt) in their coin and Bar purchases. American Eagles and Kruggerands were out,among others.
Then it was the insistence for 4-Nines Silver. Canadian Maples and Perth Mint Kangaroos are examples of 999.9.

A sizable portion of PM investors do not want to support National Mint offerings featuring the Queen.
Their reasons for this preference strays in to Politics.
I like Perth Mint coins and Maple leafs as well as Brittanias.
All feature various renditions of the Queen.
So what precious metal gold and silver coin offered currently in the World is 4-nine purity and doesn't feature the Queen?
Not much choice. The Austria Philharmonic and Bavarian Mint Elephant come to mind, any others?
Such a coin (or bar) could become the next preferred bullion offering.
A changing World and younger Investor that doesn't follow the status quo will change Traditions in the PM Market.

#343 2 years ago

And don’t worry I won’t post here all the time - Outsider

Your input is always welcome! I'm just a duffer trained by a OG Miami Beach gold picker.
You and several others are the Experts. The richest 2 Guys I ever knew carried 10,000 cash in their wallet or front pocket at all times. One a junk Dealer, the other a long haul truck driver.
You never know about Folks. Don't ever judge.
Howard Hughes drove around the Desert in an old Chevy and stinky clothes wearing a beard.
Sam Walton was near the same with his Station Wagon around Arkansas.
Everyone here (I think) is looking for tips to increase wealth.

#347 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Is this the article about Venezuela?
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/venezuelans-break-off-flakes-gold-120000884.html
Very interesting read. Assuming the spot price of gold is $1800 per ounce, let's do a little math. For a haircut, it's 1/8 of a gram. So, there are about 31.1 grams in a Troy ounce of gold. $1800 / 248.8 = $7.23. That's spot on for a haircut, actually on the cheaper side. Now, what about Goldbacks in Venezuela? The problem is the premiums are so high you will end up losing a lot during the exchange, if the shop owners don't recognize the "standard" premiums on the gold bills.
If a Goldback is worth $3.77, but they only have $1.80 worth of gold in each one, will that same haircut cost you 1.92 Goldbacks (basically 2) or 4 Goldbacks? If premiums don't matter to Venezuelan merchants, using Goldbacks so you don't have to shave fractions of grams could potentially cost you twice as much. Without an intermediate currency like silver to make change, that would be a deal breaker for small transactions.
However, the premiums come down as you buy larger bills...

Venezuela has the advantage of natural gold deposits nearby, so the people can go out and pan it or gather by other means.
Goldbricks are a good idea. Unfortunately the Citizens have had so many versions of their currency issued the past few years they no longer trust any paper money except the dollar.
However all it would take is a Local using them and explaining the advantages to possibly take off.
If there is gold in the creeks I'm going to be out there everyday!

#351 2 years ago

Every Stacker runs in to APMEX eventually.
Here is the lowdown on APMEX. You will get what you ordered and it will be genuine.
What you want is usually in stock. There is a great selection to choose from.
If you order 200 bucks worth you get free shipping.
However you are going to PAY for that Service.
They are usually higher than other sources including local coin shops.
There are really few deals on APMEX unless you are knowledgable and or speculating.
If you do find an obscure offering and buy it expect the price to rise the next day. They watch what sells.
Their precious metal Spot prices at the top of the screen are usually higher than actual prices being traded at that moment.
They will stop sales with no explanation.

I located a great LCS (Local Coin Shop) and will be pointing my Business there in the near future. No minimum purchase VS shipping hassles and the prices are more realistic.
They will put individual coins on the electronic tester in front of you by request.
Plus the old guy at a local Antique Mall with a small glass case and a chair.
Pretty much OVER APMEX, even though they have items you may not find easily anywhere else.

2 weeks later
#357 2 years ago

Who here thinks inflation can continue to rise yet the price of silver will remain in the 25 dollar range?
Do you believe the price of silver is manipulated to keep it in this range?
Can (or will) economic conditions in the U.S. deteriorate to a point where the price cannot be manipulated?

Before you begin accumulating silver research and answer these questions for your own piece of mind.

#359 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I think it is only a matter of time before a world currency. I am not sure where precious metals will land when it happens but they always prop up the new economies. So I am optimistic.

Its strange that as hard as China is pumping a digital Yuan they continue to purchase massive amounts of gold. If they propose to claim a gold-backed digital currency but do not allow the option to cash out for physical can't see it working.
They certainly are not proponents of audits for their metal holdings, and if they were it would probably be fiction.
So they proclaim " Our currency is backed by gold" and everyone just accepts it?
Not much different than "In God we trust".
India, Germany, Russia and a host of other Countries are purchasing tons of gold bullion as well.
They must believe it has staying value.

#361 2 years ago

Pinny, the majority of your Posts seem to push this guy. You are free to Post what you think is relevant or helpful, but I have to ask, do you receive compensation to promote this individual?

#363 2 years ago

Don’t worry, I won’t post a lot though.

Not worried, as you can see this is not exactly a hot thread. Everyone seems to have said all they wanted to say about PM and moved on.
It will probably fade away pretty soon down that dark hole dead threads go to.
It's all good though. Post all you want.

You mean manipulation by traders, institutions or Governments? All?

From what I understand whales like JP Morgan who own a gazillion ounces play with the silver futures through contracts to keep it at a certain price point.
This of course makes it easier for them to stack more for cheap.
Can't have a bunch of rednecks making a windfall profit from their bars or coins.
Or any other Investor for that matter.
The only way to break this control is a massive sustained mining shortage.
Or Federal intervention. They just paid a 60 million dollar fine for metals manipulation. On top of a similar 1 billion dollar fine a year ago. On top of a 15 million dollar fine 2 Months ago for Stock Spoofing.
Pocket change.
Cost of doing Business. Rinse and repeat.

#365 2 years ago

What is your favorite gold or silver coin?

#367 2 years ago

Thats cool Crash. Saves using nippers and a scale.
You do realize if things keep going the way they are going we will be buying gas with silver soon?

#369 2 years ago

I watch him on Yankee all the time, he needs his own show. Really straight up Dealer.

#372 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Its interesting how gold went up yesterday but silver remained low. The ratio almost hit 78 to 1. The banks can't manipulate silver much longer, look what happened just a couple weeks ago.

I'm hearing JP Morgan and others have shorted silver and will lose big if its above 21 Oz at the end of the year.
Tired of the psy-op with silver, doubling down on gold.
Have a 1/20 and a 1/10 coming tomorrow. Still love the small coins.
Plan on a 1/2 oz Presidents Spouse coin (24Kt) in January. Avoiding silver and gold Eagles.

#373 2 years ago

Poor Retail sales and less than stellar black friday.
Repercussions from the Evergrande default and China economic woes.
Turkish currency= huge drop in value.
GDP to Debt ratio skyrocketing.
These are the actual reasons the Market is dropping. The new variant means little.
Silver normally does well under these pressures, not now.
Gold is holding its on in comparison.

Will venture in to some Mexican gold coins on sale. Last purchase of the Year.
This Month will get rough if current Trends continue.

1 week later
#378 2 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Picked up this Harry Potter silver piece for my niece for Christmas!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Love it! Harry Potter was a special time while my Daughter was growing up, I know she would appreciate one of these. Glad the coin comes out of the holder, Kids love to handle and hold silver.
Thanks for sharing.

#379 2 years ago

I had to change the battery in my car keys (2018 Toyota) and...
...there it is inside, nice beautiful shiny gold, doing its high tech thing, making critical electrical connections that don't corrode and fail. Now multiply this by billions if not trillions of essential electrical connections used around the world by the public, industry, internet and government agencies and it's easy to see where 10% (and growing) of annual gold production goes. That amounts to more than the #1 (Newmont) and #2 (Barrick) world gold producers, combined, can produce in a year (source, World Gold Council).
Gold is vital to the nations of the modernizing world but it is very unequally distributed, with more than 75% of reserves present in only twenty countries. Also, the top producing countries so far in 2021 are, in order, China, Australia, USA and Russia. Gold is very strategic, not just vaulted (swapped/stolen/depleted) away as a monetary cornerstone or secured in a jewelry box but stockpiled, coveted, protected and used as a strategic high tech asset.
Gold helps to make sure and start my car in -20 degree winter weather from fifty feet away, gets my car to the grocery store, opens the trunk remotely and locks the valuables inside!
So...as for "You can't eat gold,"...Well, seems to me I can't get food without it!
And, oh yeah..."It's a barbarous relic,"...indeed, hardly! [quoted image][quoted image]

When it absolutely has to work gold is the only choice with electronics.
ALL of the Space technology uses gold in their switching/optic applications.
Surprised to see the new contact points from Pinball resource look like solid gold, could be plated but a very quality product.
I use to show Recycle videos in my Environmental/safety meetings and there was one where they dumped tons of E-waste on a conveyor belt.
As it went through the Plant a magnet pulled all the ferrous out.
Human Sorters pulled visible trash.
A negative charge device ejected noble metals.
At the end an Operator sat in a chair in front of 3 spouts.
Liquid gold poured from one and filled containers like a Coke fountain machine.
E-Waste is full of gold and silver

#381 2 years ago

I don't know Crash...but multiply by an ever increasing number of these gadgets/cell phones/MIC stuff/cyber miners/self drivers/e-bikers and other electrical varmints hogging on the quality of gold electrical connectivity and you're talking a lot of tons!
Industrial use of gold in 2020 = 357 tons.[quoted image]

That last Chart is shocking. 90% of cell phones are not recycled? A lot of buyback programs for old phones in the US. What are these phones being tossed in the trash? Prepaid flip phones from third world countries?
Need to freshen up my knowledge on the recycling market.
Thanks!

#383 2 years ago

phil-lee, many cell phones and lap tops etc. are stored away in a drawer, warehoused or wiped and sold after upgrading, not taken to the recycling. Always a chance contained information will be needed again or...cough...inadvertently make its way into a courtroom.
Best if kept stacked and unhacked!

Makes sense. I knew a lot of silver is thrown away and outright destroyed.
E-waste is the worst. Yeah, a lot of recycle efforts for the electronic innards but the plastic left over used to be non reusable, don't know if that has changed.
A friend used to run a shredder for hard drives, I asked him why were the rare earth magnets destroyed, "Too much trouble to remove".

#385 2 years ago

When China becomes the Worlds reserve currency provider it will be in part due to it being backed by something tangible, perhaps the massive purchases of gold bullion it hoards.
When the US defaults on its debts and loses reserve currency status it will in part be due to its currency backed by nothing.
Study current use of gold by Venezuela citizens for one example of what will happen.
The profitability of equities will continue until.. it doesn't.

The young people I know are getting discouraged by wild swings and hacking incidents with crypto and looking for alternate places to put their money.

#386 2 years ago

This morning I watched the following commentary shows.
"How will War with Russia effect silver prices?"
"Will War with Russia cause a dip in Bitcoin?"
"Will the Market drop or rise during a War with Russia?"

It's official Folks. People have lost their damn minds.

#388 2 years ago

I think we all have a sneaking suspicion silver is dropping below 20 bucks soon, very soon.
No surprise, still like gold.

#389 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I agree. There is nothing going on with Russia, no different than 2 years ago.

I will go ahead and answer these questions.
Silver will be real liquid in the major Cities, near worthless in rural areas.
Bitcoin will experience a major dip when EMP weapons kill the power grid. Long term.
The Market will experience fluctuations when WW3 becomes a reality. Day trading may be suspended.

#391 2 years ago

You speak as if you are an authority, and I am your student. Like you have hidden knowledge. Do you read your Horoscope every morning? Get your palm read?
Wonder if the folks in Wienmar had a chart telling them a wheelbarrow full of money would be needed for a loaf of bread?
Did the Venezuelans follow any youtube economic gurus warning them haircuts would cost 1/8 gram of gold in 2021?
Where is the chart that accounts for and accurately predicts Black Swan events, or acts of God like occurred in Kentucky?
I'm glad you have found something to put your faith in and like an economic evangelist want to spread the truth to all the unwashed.
Your guy knows NOTHING, and comes from a long of KNOW NOTHINGS. Slick words, charts, and don't forget to pay your subscription.
One event and all those tidy prognostications come tumbling down.
You have to be young. This is the same way people are sucked in to cults and start believing in mystics and gurus.

#393 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

If only you knew who you were speaking with…

Any time someone gives me this line my ears shut off. Don't care.
Experienced so many people who thought they had the answers, all of them save maybe Warren Buffet turned out to be wrong.
Remember the Heritage (Jim Baker) scam? Billions of dollars invested after "Sessions" with brilliant forward thinkers "Teaching" the masses with charts and prognostication. At that point had nothing to with religion, just peoples inherent greed wanting to believe these slick talkers.
Go by the place now. Weeds.
Seen the Amway scam first hand. Family members, friends and neighbors "Trained" to be millionaires and falling hook and line with a blind faith in their economic guru snake oil salesman.
Anyone still invested in Amway?
Know a dozen co-workers taken during the 2008 period, one of them "knew a guy" that was a genius economic adviser and Investor, who could "Get their money back they had lost". Heard him speak, promised %26 returns, had all the charts to prove it.
They all signed up for his Newsletter and gave him their money. They all lost again.
Nobody can call a bottom, or a top.
Nobody can predict the future. Maybe a 30 day call, not 2 years.
Too many variables right now.

#395 2 years ago

Do you know who you are speaking with?
I do not toot my own horn much, perhaps the anonymity of the Forum has allowed a certain typecast to come across that is not entirely accurate.
Suffice it to say I was born with a high intelligence quotient. Financial independence for me has came about from listening to many and making my own decisions, as well as what many now call old school tried and true.
Pretty obvious the connection to religious charlatans would gleam the quickest commentary, could easily give a dozen examples from the secular Community (Bernie Madoff?)
Bottom line is so-called Professionals were hired by these groups with little to no connections with a Church.
A common thread among Financial Advisors or whatever you wish to call them is they are Sales People. Great communication skills, well dressed and groomed, and trained in delivering a presentation.
Many hint at or downright push the notion they have the secret, or a radically different approach to success. This sales angle evolves over time.
Many are successful at what they do, many more fail.

I have no beef with Pinny and apologize if I came back too harshly. Sorry Pinnyhead!
Glad that his success has made an impression on you and that you would defend a slight.
Right now I do get a little miffed at anyone advising long term prognostications (predictions).
Things are simply too volatile to do so accurately.

As far as EMP weapons. Any thermonuclear explosion has a side effect of electromagnetic pulse. Rather than a dedicated EMP being deployed I would expect the likely hood of a major wholesale bombing to be greater.
When these maniacs let off something fear will drive an engagement anything but limited.

#397 2 years ago

Don't sell yourself short. Ha.
Seriously I admire several friends who are in to Sales. One, Bill, told me "You think its all fun and games huh? I had to drive to West Virginia, meet with a mine Owner in his house last night. He wanted to drink whiskey the first 3 hours and tell stories. Then, around 11 we got down to Business and I had to figure out a 100.000 Order for a million hydraulic parts.
Then drove back after 3 hours of fitful sleep and prepare a presentation in Greensboro at a Hotel. They expect you to look fresh and sharp the whole time"

I've made it clear I do not depend on Metals, just collecting to leave to my Daughter and kids. Dropped silver from contention awhile back.
I do still like gold, if the US pulls a Venezuela and doesn't get destroyed I'm ready. It's not an Investment, or an inflation hedge. It's gold, unique. As long as China and Russia buys tons every year I figure its got to be worth stacking a little.
As far as intelligence goes? I have always heard a genius is one step from an idiot and I concur.
Had a friend in School (we will call him Mark) who was always doodling weird pictures, completely out of line, just a misfit. The Teacher came in one day when he was out. "Class, all of you are bright or you wouldn't be in here. I was just in the Office looking at records, who do you think has the highest IQ of all of you?"
Yeah, it was Mark. 240 or something. He eventually killed a guy and went to prison.
So IQ doesn't mean shit.
Like Mark, I have always had problems interacting with people. One of the reasons pinball worked so well, I could go out and be a part of the night while in a corner playing a game.

#405 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I stack copper…. J/K. I just wanted to break the tension.

Thanks. May I ask what J/K is.

#410 2 years ago

I just follow and subscribe to folks because I don’t use an expert to manage my money.

Brother, you don't need to follow anyone or pay anyone by the Month. I can tell you are a Leader, just do it.
I am sorry you took me wrong. I apologize if I caused you any grief.
You are the Expert. Guarantee you could teach me many things concerning this crazy Business.

#411 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

2) It’s not legal to melt or deface Federally issued coinage.

Always wondered if there is an exemption for these penny flatteners you see at Amusement Parks. Some place a logo in the center of the copper.

#415 2 years ago

Turkey is a good example of what can (will? ) happen in the US.
Currency Lire has dropped 50% in value.
Inflation is rampant. Workers seek to convert their paychecks in to other currencies as well as gold.
President passes law against hoarding. Rumoured confiscation of gold soon.

It is said the Leader is setting on millions in gold bars to use should he need to move quickly.
Local produce/bread and other items are being paid for in gold and silver. Local Towns commerce developing alternative payment means separate from the Official Government.
Barter commonplace.

#419 2 years ago

There is a massive move away from silver bullion underway.
Many who purchased during the so-called "Silver Squeeze" regret the investment they put into silver.
The latest drop in the price and continued manipulation took the wind from their sails. These Buyers were evidently not intent on holding long but expected the price to rise for a quick profit.
I stopped purchasing silver a few Months ago, but its still tempting.
So everybody is singing golds praises now. The same scam can happen with gold too. High premiums, artificial shortages created through rumor.
Glad I was able to accumulate a few ounces this year to go with what I already had. I do expect gold to go up in 2022.
At which time I will stop buying.
Gold, silver, platinum, its all a 10 year hold game.

Going to Crash' advice and return to copper salvage.
Where I used to sell whole motors and insulated wire now its worth cleaning.
Copper is the new silver in many ways, the price is going UP.
Could copper actually pass silver in price if current trends/demand continues?. Yeah, sounds crazy.
Won't happen since the same manipulation by large holders will be put in to play.

Will Post a photo of my last gold purchase for 2021 Christmas. Wanted a few things to open up under the tree.
Most of the silver and a little gold going in a cigar box for the Annual Pinball Tournament prize. I call it The Best of 2021.
One or other of the Parents will win it so the Grandkids get it.
If I beat both of them I'm KEEPING IT. HA HA..

#421 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I too noticed that about the "Wall Street Silver" craze on Reddit. All these entitled young kids who buy all this silver then sell it at a loss when the spot price drops $0.50. Which causes further gluts in the market and prices to drop, more selloffs, etc. The real winners are the people that buy and hold for 10, 20, 30 years, realizing inflation and industrial demand for these metals will both continue to rise. Silver's still on sale!

Yeah, noticed your Post on the Inflation thread.
Silver would be on sale if not for these inflated premiums.
They have it marked up to a point they know it will not turn a profit for years,if ever.
Sorry, I have given up on the shiny unless something changes.
If everyone would stop buying for awhile these greedy Exchanges would have to drop premiums.

I am bullish on copper. Like you,taking a second look at electronics.

#423 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

PSA, evidently microwaves have high voltage capacitors and potentially hazardous materials in the magnetrons. No thanks (for me that is).

Thanks, never took one apart, don't even use one.
Electric motors are copper hordes. No matter how old or cruddy, the copper inside is good.
Cleaning metal salvage is fun and relaxing.
Pile it up with an idea of like metals inside.
Crack a beer on a boring day with some pliers and tools and start dismantling.
A Guy gave me a small engine pile to haul off. 100 pounds of Cast. 1000 pounds of sheet.
You will not get rich, I promise. Gleaning metals will result in some serious cash if you do it right.
Haul off old Tractors, cars or machinery? May be worth more parting it out, do the Research.
These Folks who want to buy Crypto can knock themselves out.
Tax-free cash from junk is the future, and you hold it in your hand.

1 week later
#429 2 years ago

Posting from the Bunker tonight with 2022 Predictions and precious metals outlook.

1. Copper through the roof. Not enough supply. Supply shortages. Unprecedented demand. Lack of investment in copper mining. The World has decided to go electric without the necessary supplies of materials and amperage.
2. Germany shutting down nuclear plants. Yet nuclear is the only hope to supply the amperage needed to replace oil for fuel and heating.
3. Uranium price will continue to skyrocket. Again, lack of mining support, supply shortages = unheard of prices. New Plants are under construction, old Plants need non-depleted renewal.
4. Gold is king. Gold will breakout in 2022 to new highs. Shortages will occur. Russia, China will continue to horde more and purchase tons. 3rd World Nations will call back reserves and sue to recoup (Afghanistan, Venezuela.)
5 Silver will continue to be manipulated, with wild price swings. Sell before it kisses 34 an ounce. Start over.
6. Aluminum is being reintroduced as wiring. Remember the aluminum wiring fires of the 70's- 80's? Expect more.
6 Nickel alloys will be explored as an alternate to copper. Expect wild pricing on all conductive metals.
7. Wars, physical and pricing, will be conducted over Lithium.
8. Platinum will increase in price due to the EV surge as long as its successful.
9 Palladium will drop in price as EVs become prevalent. New uses for Palladium will result in wild price swings in 2022.
10. Rhodium will languish due to scarcity.
Dependable gas-engine cars will continue to enjoy high values. Parts availability will be paramount.
Diesel vehicles will skyrocket in value, depending upon Manufacturer. Farm equipment is included.
To be continued .....

#430 2 years ago

May be back in January. Everyone have a great New Year!

#431 2 years ago

Gold is dead?
Seems like a competition between different assets classes has reached a point to where "My Bitcoin is more valuable, gold is dead". Outright hostility between crypto and bullion Buyers.
Wise Investors dabble in both and realize the shortcomings of both gold and crypto.
I will stick with gold in 2022. I don't like crypto, don't trust it for longterm value.
So what is the best gold to buy?
Unless you are a Collector versus a Stacker, stay away from high premium coins and bars.
Purchase the cheapest 24Kt gold coins and bars on the market.
Forget the American gold eagle, it's not pure gold and the premiums are astronomical.
Kruggerands are not pure gold and look like copper in the right light.
Maple Leafs are pure, have security features and high liquidity but again premiums are high.
Right now the cheapest gold coins you can buy are Perth Mint Kangaroos and Austria Philharmonics.
Both are 24Kt and enjoy the lowest premiums.
I have left the semi-collector mindset where I purchase coins that are cool, limited, diverse etc.
All you need is 24kt gold bullion at the cheapest price.
Also, I prefer smaller denomination fractional gold. Smaller 1/10, 1/25 and gram sizes will make it easier to use in a SHTF scenario.
Again, Perth Mint and Philharmonic are the lowest fractional gold available, along with generic gold bars.
Whatever you purchase make sure it is backed by a reputable Seller. Use cash or a check to get the cheapest price.

#433 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Also, not sure why you're hung up on the "not pure gold".... There's still a full Troy ounce of gold, plus an extra gram of silver. Think of it as a bonus!

I'm not hung up on it. The World Market for gold has increasingly turned against non 24Kt gold coins. There is a trend and even though the American offering still enjoys desirability the premiums along with its alloy could change.

Quoted from mattosborn:

I will sell you American Gold Eagles at no premium.

I believe you but statements like this raise flags.

#436 2 years ago

Watching Youtube videos of what people are buying in 2022 and amazed.
Home poured silver bars or poured bars with no pedigree?
Coin Dealer- I can't verify purity. Can't buy them or 25% under spot.
Cool cast or poured silver figurines, pyramids, Icons or idols,etc.
Coin Dealer- Try advertising them to recoup investment, not interested.
When you sell it comes down to bullion price or Numismatic value.
It also more importantly comes down to a Coin Dealer who is willing to purchase your bullion.
I am not including Ebay or other online methods of selling coins.
When you need to sell, now, its either a pawn shop or a precious metals dealer.
If the price of silver were to rise to 50 an ounce there would be a line out the door of people looking to sell.
People would not be buying at these prices, only selling.
The Dealer would quickly be up to his ass in high-priced silver nobody is buying.
Silver Unicorns, Pirates, swords and 50 caliber bullets will not garner a premium price. They may not reach spot price.

I am not purchasing silver coins in 2022.
10 ounce silver bars from a reputable source like Royal Canadian Mint, Engelhard or Apmex possibly.
If you envision possibly needing to sell your silver one day go with trusted sources.
Canadian Maples.
American Silver Eagles.
Royal Mint Brittanias
SA Krugerrands.
Perth Mint Kangaroos.
Mexican silver is expensive but you may recoup the price with the right Buyer.
Same with Perth Mint Swan, Kookaburra and Tigers.
Show up to the Dealer ready to sell with Star Wars, Peanuts, John Wick, "Limited rounds", unique poured bars or coins, foreign silver one-offs, less then 999 fine, or even less then an ounce Pandas and;
Prepare to be shocked, offended and pissed at what the Shop will pay.

#439 2 years ago

Those are nice finds! By no means meant to disregard treasure hunting in all its forms.
I picked up (free) a complete set of Mittertiech Bavaria China with real gold rims.
Used it a couple of Christmas and tried to sell.
Its looking like I can't give it away.
Art like you have is another story. Sometimes it can be really lucrative in normal times. Now? Have no idea.
Miss the normal.
Have a stack of various Art in the back, William Magnum, others more obscure. Snapped them up at great prices.
Seems the new Generation (yeah,old man talking) couldn't care less. They see this stuff as a burden.
I too am starting to see it as a burden so my comments may have grown cynical.
Now, it's like Gold is the last Frontier for some sort of wealth insurance.
I think that will hold as long as Sovereign Nations continue to purchase it. It is rumored China may introduce a digital coin backed by gold.
If they can pull that off all bets are off.
Thanks for sharing!

#440 2 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Something else I've noticed, when you buy gold, most dealers will have a buy back price listed. For silver, no buy back price listed. Hmmmmm.....

It's troubling that Independent Coin Dealers and Pawn Shop Owners become the new Bankers when it comes to liquidating PM assets.
There really is no "Official " Buyer.
All of these Dealers have their own standards and pricing. What if they are closed? Or broke?
I envision bartering for value of goods based on a mutually agreed value of gold with pre-identified local Suppliers.
These Guys with all of this myriad silver? They may be able to do the same, it will just be more difficult.
Think Commodities like a pound of coffee or..wait "Pork Bellies.
Gold lends itself better to commodity purchases.

#444 2 years ago

If, as you say, China tips over the financial apple cart with a gold backed currency, one would think preparations are being made on many sides for such a possibility.

The Fed absolutely despises the notion of returning to any gold standard, fiat currency or digital. Seems all these years of being the Reserve currency of the World has made them resistant to backing anything in anything but "God we trust".
I trust God. I do not trust the Fed.
So what if China backs the digital Yuan with gold?
Will they offer digital "Gold Certificates" where the Holder of said currencies can cash out in gold? Very unlikely.
They wish to give the perception their currency is superior, not actually doing anything to make it so.

#445 2 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

It seems like Gold Britannia is an excellent buy, it’s four 9s and has the “security” features not found in most bullion coins. It’s also a very beautiful coin.
I visit a lot of coin shops in different states (my job is transportation) and all of the have gold eagles, maples, krugerrand, etc. the two coins that seem to always elude me at these shops are American Buffalo and Britannia. That tells me those two are in high demand and would be easier to sell. One commands a higher premium and the other is on the cheaper side.

Forget "Beauty" for a moment.
You buy a gold coin and one day go to sell it.
The Austrian Philharmonic is a 4-9 gold coin with the lowest premium. When you go to sell you will get spot, no premium.
It's boring, not really collectable or beautiful.
But its pure gold bullion in a recognized form that can be purchased at the lowest price.
It doesn't have the Queen on it either ( I don't have a problem with this and love Perth Mint offerings).
But a lot of Buyers do.
Would I rather have a pile of Gold Eagles, Brittanias, Maples and Swans?
Yeah.
Are you a person trying to get the most pure gold for the lowest price you can easily liqudate if the need arises?
Or are you a coin collector?
Thats the question you should ask before getting in to gold.

#446 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I'm making about $5 / ounce profit buying the rounds you mention on JM Bullion, SD Bullion, APMEX, Bullionexchanges, etc and immediately flipping them on ebay. Not a get rich quick scheme, but I've sold around 400 ounces since early November. I figure it's a good inflation hedge, and I'll take those $5 bills in the meantime.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Jan. 1 enactment of the new IRS rules will kill millions of re-sellers.
Once you reach 600 dollars in sales for a year you are rewarded with a 1099 Form. This treats you as a small Business and opens you up to taxes and scrutiny over your Bank accounts.
This is huge, just how huge is quickly becoming apparent to a lot of Folks who are just trying to earn a little extra income and found a side hustle that works for them.
I was an Ebay seller for 20 years. There is no way I want to be treated like a Business selling old junk I have accumulated over the years.
It's now down to local sales, yard sales, personal sales among Groups, or even donations to reduce tax liability.
It really sucks, study the new law and you will agree.

#449 2 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

I agree, but that’s because it’s a philharmonic, it’s plain and uninspiring. A Britannia is cheaper, it’s beautiful, has security features and inspiring. A Buffalo is always an easier sell and sells above spot. That’s one reason I have not been able to pick up any Buffalos lately, when they come in they go out almost right away. I can pick up the “cheap” gold at any shop, not the case with a Buffalo. Besides, it’s $20 of over a philharmonic on the internet, local shops always have a better deal.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Made it no secret I only purchase fractional for its liquidity in a bad situation. I consider holding a 1oz coin as a liability unless its in a safe. Fractional is more like "Pocket change".
In fractional sizes 1/10 and 1/4 Philharmonics are much cheaper then ASE, Maples and Brittanias.
Love the gold Buffalo but it is not available in amounts less then 1oz. The reason they are so popular is they are 24kt versus the Eagle, people are starting to prefer 24kt in the US. In Europe and India among others 24kt has always been preferred.
Remember the "Premium" paid when you sell is determined by an individual Dealer, its his prerogative what you get.
In a time of stress where many people are trying to sell and a glut of stock there is no guarantee you will get any premium.

#450 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I'm a business. I've been an online business for close to 20 years. I sell hundreds of thousands a year on ebay and Amazon and pay all my taxes. This is just one more product I decided to carry.

Good to hear Loneacer!

#453 2 years ago

Sounds good, thanks for sharing.

#455 2 years ago

There is little logic involved with gold stackers.
Silver stackers too.
They just want to HOLD silver and gold.
They do not listen to prognostication or forecast.
Become your own Central Banker is the call.
So you pile up gold coins, silver bars, cash and if you are so inclined Crypto.
I just want my great grandmas leather-skinned jewelery chest filled with gold.
Doesn't really make sense from a modern standpoint.
It just feels right.
A gold horde helps you sleep at night during these uncertain times.

#456 2 years ago

I don't want big gold.
Also don't want hassles if it comes down to buying necessities with gold.
The bottom line with gold purchases is price per gram. 1 ounce currently comes down to 59 dollars a gram.
You may deal with Folks who do not understand gold. You may have to "School" them.
You have a gram of gold, it doesn't really matter where it came from.
Once people figure out and get used to dealing with the 1 Gram measure of Commerce it will flow.
Forget the " I only want American"
All the Pro Dealers say the same thing, "Gold is gold"
That is why I prefer small fractional ( 1/25, 1/20, 1/10 1/4) ounce gold coins.
People don't trust gold bars, and they should well be careful. Many are counterfeit.
Gold bars are good outside the packaging where they can be tested, weighed, held.
Same with coins.
Unless you are a Collector forget slabbed (packaged or graded coins in a container)
Silver comes in because your Seller prefers silver.
They remember Pre-1963 silver currency and feel comfortable using it.
Keep a roll of Mercury dimes, Franklin Halves just for this purpose.
Roosevelt dimes, Kennedy halves and Washington quarters may be looked upon with suspicion as not being silver.
You want to pull out something that is unmistakenly silver and valuable.
Till next time...

#460 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

6 Nickel alloys will be explored as an alternate to copper. Expect wild pricing on all conductive metals

Check out the price increases on Nickel.

Quoted from phil-lee:

1. Copper through the roof. Not enough supply. Supply shortages. Unprecedented demand. Lack of investment in copper mining. The World has decided to go electric without the necessary supplies of materials and amperage.

Hate to quote myself but stand by these forecasts.

Quoted from Crash:

Oh and copper pennies broke 300% face value today according to coinflation.com.

Copper Rounds and Lincolns are getting popular. Any metal coin that is REAL is in demand. Zinc/clad junk?
We don't want it!

10 months later
#538 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m thinking gold drops to $1,700 an ounce by the end of August, but then pushes to around $1,900 by the end of the year.

Yep. Spot on!

1 month later
#542 1 year ago
Quoted from rod90:

I have to stay away from precious metals. One guy at work was buying estate jewelry and processing it. He was then confronted at work about it. We do a huge precious metal recycling process at work and it is not worth the trouble of losing my job over a side hustle.

Learn the Process and set up a smaller Hobby version in an outbuilding.
Keep it to yourself.
Valuable knowledge.

2 months later
#558 1 year ago

American "Junk" silver (Pre-1965 US coins) desirability has jumped time during the last 80 days.
Seems like a consensus among stackers, hoarders, novice collectors and concerned citizens has settled in.

2 weeks later
#560 11 months ago
Quoted from palmab03:

I sold all my Junk at $20FV when spot was at $18 after buying all my junk for $20FV when spot was $25 a few months ago. Thought I was making a good arbitrage trade at the time, but now I miss my junk!

Prices have went insane. If you want a good laugh go on APMEX and price 1/10 ounce gold coins and silver eagles.
Still,its strange the attraction for junk silver. Perhaps because its the "Other American silver coins".

Really glad I have all I need and took advantage of the dips in recent Months.

1 week later
#562 11 months ago

People are buying Buffalo silver rounds. Look a like Walking Liberty, Peace and Morgan rounds.
Real Silver Eagles have become a rich persons coin.
Folks cant get enough Junk Silver and silver rounds.

1 week later
#564 11 months ago

Yeah, funny how it always happens on a Friday.
I reached 10% of my net worth in gold and silver so no longer buy. More concerned with stacking cash at the moment.
Still consider Nickle a "Sleeper" metal that could experience explosive growth.
I used to clean all my scrap but was paid so little for my last load just piling it up for now. After a remodel I have a stove, fridge, washer and dryer and air conditioners. Electric heaters, hardware and copper pipe too.

#567 11 months ago

Thanks for the tip Pincoin ! Not into searching rolls for American. I would actually like to purchase Kilo ingots of the stuff but haven't researched it yet.
Seems the Market in the States still leans heavily toward US Mint products, old and new. People are willing to pay very high premiums for this stuff even though they could get much more actual bullion weight with other Mints and Generic.
Remember, you are purchasing another form of currency to SPEND. Once its gone will be hard to get back.

2 weeks later
#569 10 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

So they tared me 10 pounds over which is annoying, basically got 320 cans for free. Is that normal? Their container is over 200lbs according to the ticket.

Salvage metal dealers used to pay a nickle or dime more per pound if the cans were flattened.
When I had flattened cans I weighed them before trying to sell.
Hard to weigh non' flattened,actually had a guy transfer the cans by hand looking for debris one time.
On the silver/gold front I still insist gold is king. Silver is close to feeling like a scam.
Watch silver for awhile and you begin to see the pattern.
Slow Dow Jones day? Paper silver sells off. Then its allowed to rise for awhile,price shoots up, then it sells off again.
Until this scheme is deep-sixed silver can be a losing game.
World purchases of gold is hampering their price fixing, the lid will come off soon.

5 months later
#573 5 months ago

People say to stock commodities. Items of tangible wealth.
Gold is a Tier One asset. Silver is an also ran as long as CB manipulation continues.
Food has become a Tier One in my opinion. So has fuel.
Land is still number one. The ability to grow food and enjoy some semblance of privacy.
Tools are primary. so are electrical generators that run on diesel and propane/natural gas.
Precious metals are fun but they won't save us.
Keep stacking aluminum, copper, bronze and high grade iron.
Keep a little physical gold and some spending silver.

#574 5 months ago

Please make sure your pantry is full. Stuff you like to eat. Stuff that stores well like rice, pasta and beans.
Country Ham and Summer sausage along with jerky and pepperoni.
Throw back 20 gallons of water. I like the 5 gallon Primo bottles, Lowes has a simple pump for 13 bucks.
Cheap cold preps like NyQuil (or off brand), aspirin, vitamin C and cough suppressants. Cheap whiskey has its place.
Batteries (AAA and AA) are real handy to have around. So are flashlights and a FM or Shortwave radio.
Space blankets could be lifesavers. Fill your fuel cans and propane tanks.
These sort of preps are desirable right now.

#577 5 months ago

Crash, high octane non ethanol fuel is even better. You can get it at the airport and some stores near race tracks.
My motorcycle Dealer told me they put it in all their bikes for sale since they may sit around awhile before they sale. It takes a good while for 105 octane to drop to 89.
Thanks for the video. I have learned a lot from Taryl Dactal and Zippo Varga about small engines.

...along with a good supply of other 'medicinal' beverages!

Everclear would probably be best since it is so potent(pure grain alcohol). The stuff scares me after a youth consuming PJ.

#580 5 months ago
Quoted from ManyQuarters:Thankfully, I have moved on to brandy, cognac and more pinball.

So do you do "The glass Roll?"
Cognac can be dangerous too!

#581 5 months ago

Really weird today when gold went STRAIGHT UP and stayed there.
It was like everyone put in large orders at the same time. Still not sure why other then the usual suspects.

#584 5 months ago

would expect when that mysterious PM trading desk opens tonight they will return to POUNDING these prices back down.
don't think it is easy as it once was.
Pretty much given up on silver doing anything until the manipulation ends.
Still purchasing gold though, its kind of unique compared to the other metal offerings.

2 months later
#588 70 days ago

Stripped some copper wiring recently.
Good indoor activity when its freezing outside.
Took a huge load of scrap metal to sell today.
The small container of copper wire sold for 40 percent of the load.
Got copper?
The new cash metal.

#589 69 days ago

Got copper?
Cut off/remove any metal attached to get best price.
Use a good magnet to determine the metal.
Aluminum, copper, bronze? Not magnetic.
Stainless? A slight magnetic pull for certain grades.
DONT BURN WIRE TO GET THE COPPER OUT!
Recyclers don't want it. 80 cents a pound versus 3.20-400.
Pollutes like Hell.
Small amounts of copper are in everything. They add up when extracted.

#590 65 days ago

Scrap is hot.
One of the last Wild West cash businesses left.
Regional, hard for Whale - Type Buyers and Sellers to take over with pricing controls.
Recyclers want it and are paying.
Learn to scrap something. Take a stove apart and separate the different metals.
Stress reliever as well as profitable..

#591 62 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Pretty much given up on silver doing anything until the manipulation ends.

That was 85 days ago.
Seems there is a lot of chatter about silver hate.
A Great awakening about silver and its failure to meet expectations.
Is it real?
Or do they just want to crush and control the Market?

Still buying small gold, no silver.
Probably wrong.

#593 61 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

I sold a bunch of old service conductor copper wire last December and got $58 for 18 pounds of that. The bare bright wire fetched $3.24 per pound.

Most salvageable copper is in dumps from the 40's.
The price has reached a level where a little research done on where these dumps are is valuable.

1 week later
#595 54 days ago

You have done your homework, very good points.
The old saying " as gold rises silver follows" may be quietly changing, at least in Comex areas.
Silver is heading toward full Industrial Commodity like copper. Price manipulation helps steer it.

I add a few ounces to a gold order to round it off.
Its came down to 4 choices to me;
American Silver eagle
American Peace dollar, VG or higher
Germania Mint 1 ounce bar
Mexican Mint Libertad or 5 Peso

There are better deals but I have a reason for each of these.

#597 50 days ago

Good afternoon MQuarters.
Global Manufacturers of copper wire are hamstrung through Regulations.
You probably remember the fire disasters that occurred in the recent past (and still occur from older installations)
using aluminum wiring.
Other metals can conduct well but simply cannot replace the resilience of copper.

Chile as well as other South American sources are under constant Cartel pressure that threatens innovation that would increase extraction/export efficiency.

Gold used to be a byproduct of copper extraction.
Now they concentrate on the gold and copper mining suffers, hence, a shortage of supply.

Simply there is no alternative for copper right now.
Without price controls applied to it much like what is occurring with silver the price of copper would skyrocket to a point of UN sustainability.

#598 50 days ago

Why am I concentrating on Cash?

If There is a blip from the Power Company cash is the only way to procure goods.
People rapidly transfer their accounting to accept cash when the System is down.
(cash boxes, mechanical cash registers, adding machines with paper, calculators)
For a short period of time cash will be preferred over all other sources for transactions.
United States cash for us in the lower 50.
Companies that recently refused cash transactions change policy.

"Cash on the glass"

1 week later
#599 40 days ago

Quick tip for the weekend;
Stay away from Mining Stocks. All of them.

#601 40 days ago

Never spoke to anyone who actually profited from gold mining stocks.
If you are the exception congrats.
Perhaps they need a second look.
I know there are a lot of influencers pushing them.

#605 39 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

The problem with mining stocks is while resilient value of the metals themselves is guaranteed, operation and expansion of mines is not. Energy costs, supply and demand, and other factors cause mining of these metals to wax and wane pretty heavily.

Crash, your statement is both true and profound.

1 week later
#606 29 days ago

It is incredible how much gold you can accumulate over a short period of time.
A gram, 1/10. What you can afford that Month that doesn't hurt the bills.
Like many, the most frequent purchases started during the dark days of covid.

Forget people saying the premiums are too high on small gold.
Its affordable and very liquid if you need to use it.

#609 28 days ago

Thanks ManyQ for the report.
I couldn't tell if it was good news or bad, seems the profit increase came from a higher spot price and selling other holdings.

1 week later
#611 19 days ago

Gold kissed 2205 this morning.
The usual talking heads tried to label it a "False rise" and said it was "Overbought"
Doublespeak can't change the fact people are turning to gold to allay fears of inflation and War.
Several of the Billionaires who recently sold large volumes of stock have admitted much of the cash went into gold.
In their newly built fallout shelters seems they prefer a safe full of yellow metal.

Of course the influencers are screaming "Silver Silver Silver"
People don't want silver. They have grown tired of JP Morgan manipulating price.
Silver is becoming (already?) an Industrial metal.
Dealers like silver cause it is their cash cow. They are angry the Consumer has wised and woke up
to their high premiums and manipulation.
Silver, like Bitcoin leeches onto gold for credibility. No longer working.
Neither are in the same category.
Gold is unique.
They will try and beat it down like always.
This week those attempts failed.

#613 19 days ago

Do you live in one of the Goldback friendly States?
I understand some States have passed laws to accept gold as money for payment for State and local bills

2 weeks later
#615 17 hours ago

Gold is showing a surprising resiliency lately (translation, it keeps recovering and going higher).
There has been a marked increase from Influencers pushing silver. Silvers performance is lagging severely.
This trend higher for gold will be watched closely during the Holiday weekend primarily in the foreign exchanges.

If gold serves as a canary in the coal mine the bird is singing. Loud.

#617 16 hours ago

Oh yeah. When you sell 1/10 Eagles you should get a premium from the Buyer, right now
4 to 6 %. Hot coins to hold, in demand and very liquid.

#619 15 hours ago

I see silver seriously controlled through shorts and timed purchases.
It won't change until the lid comes off the economy, its too needed by Industry.
Best case in 2024? 31.80
If wrong will be the first to admit it.
To be honest lost all favor with silver, only order gold.

#621 4 hours ago

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy collecting silver, just no longer stacking for weight. My favorites are Libertads and Peace dollars.
Also like the Germanium 1oz silver bars.
Still have quite a bit of 90 Percent US, Franklin's ,Walking Liberty halves and Mercury dimes.
Keep tubes of American Eagles, Maple Leafs and Krugerrands for "Spending"

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/precious-metals-gold-silver-and-everything-else?tu=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.