(Topic ID: 286786)

Precious Metals? Gold, Silver, Prospecting and Collecting.

By phil-lee

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 668 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1896 (resized).jpeg
_20240424_124519 (resized).JPG
IMG_1888 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1860 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F5107C5A-5953-4106-BD37-FD65485BE74E (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
_20240404_112124 (resized).JPG
_20240404_111942 (resized).JPG
image_67226625 (resized).JPG
IMG_6312 conv (resized).jpeg
IMG_6311 conv (resized).jpeg
Copper map (resized).jpg
gold_20_year_o_jpy_x (resized).png
_20231028_130347 (resized).JPG
_20231028_130309 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Perspective from a rare coin seller. Posted by Coindork (3 years ago)

Post #86 Amazing photos from actual miner and a great story. Posted by Onwallst (3 years ago)

Post #109 Great power point on gold demand. Posted by ManyQuarters (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnnypinball007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

You do realize that they are still mining silver and pulling it up out of the ground

And gold.

I never thought about how much of it is still coming out of the ground until I started watching the tv show Gold Rush many years ago. (I have never missed a episode).

I like a lot of things, no way would I get near a diamond though, not a good investment at all. (I have never bought any, but I have heard a lot about that).

#58 3 years ago

Back when I was young I loved collecting coins.

I liked the odd stuff like 20 cent pieces.

My favorite of all time was a 1854-O $3 gold piece.

When I sold all of it 20 years ago, the 1893-S brought the most money with a vintage of 100k

Amazing how Morgan Dollars were always so popular.

The rarest coin I ever had was the 1854-O with a 24k mintage.

I used to love having rare coins.

Yeah, at one time I had 2 3-legged Buffalo nickels.

Never had that 1955-s double die penny (not even sure that is correct, all I know is I never had one).(and was never interested in one).

Coins and stuff you just put away in a safe.

A pain in the ass at times but Real Estate will pay a lot better return on your investment.

At least that is what my friend tells me.

2 cent pieces, 3 cent pieces, 20 cent, old coins are very cool!

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

The more educated you are about what you are buying, the more likely you are to make good purchases.

Overall I ended up with around 8% yearly average investment return when I sold. I was happy with that.

10 months later
#412 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Always wondered if there is an exemption for these penny flatteners you see at Amusement Parks. Some place a logo in the center of the copper.

I also always wondered about that.

And until recently I have always saved all my pennies that were dated 1981 or older, because they are high copper content.

(I am still saving them, just not looking at my current pennies I get in change at the moment).

I always thought after we quit using silver for coins after 1964 and all of those coins even common ones sell for more than face because of their silver content, well, maybe 1981 and older pennies may someday follow suit to a extent.

And I don't think anyone is melting the silver coins, they are just traded along with the price of silver.

So I would think it would be possible that someday copper pennies could be traded the same way.

And I also have the wheat pennies and S mint marks separated also.

I used to look closely at all of my change, and the coolest thing I ever found was a 1987 P dime, that on the back it said ONE DIM (the E is totally missing).

And while on the subject of modern coins, I have a lot of Eisenhower dollars and 1965 and newer Kennedy halves I wish I could get something over face value for.

(and sometimes I do, sometimes I leave some of those as tips when I dine out, and stand outside and look in the window at the 20 year old that has no clue what that money is that they were tipped with). (2 dollar bills are fun also when leaving a tip).

With currency I used to save all of the star notes, and I had a lot of them, but years ago I needed some money to make some more money so I spent them on some inventory I needed while I was short on funds.

I know I need to start looking at all of that again, it can be like a free winning lottery ticket if I find the right stuff.

Like a note that is all 7's for the serial number. Luck up and find one of those and that can be traded for a whole lot of gold or pinball machines.

1 month later
#473 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Oh and copper pennies broke 300% face value today according to coinflation.com.

I saved and still have all the copper pennies I got in change for the last 35 years.

I recently stopped looking because it strains my eyes too much now to look at the date.

I will still glance at the back, looking for wheat pennies.

I always figured with silver coins selling for good money maybe someday copper pennies would bring more than a penny, and not losing anything if that never happens.

I may have around $700 face value worth of copper pennies from 1959-1981, and maybe $20 face value worth of wheat pennies.

I have a lot of Eisenhower dollars also I would love to sell over face value.

(I sold all the good stuff a very long time ago. My favorite was a 1854-O $3 gold piece).

When I was young I was big time into rare coins, and this cool old man gave me some awesome deals.

I held all that for 20 years and I did fine. Way better than most other investments.

Coins are fun, and if done right a pretty good investment.

Anyway, I wonder when Phil plans to post again?

2 months later
#513 2 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I used to collect and recycle aluminum cans about 35 years ago.

48 years ago I was picking up money back bottles. At first they were 5 cents, but luckily I had saved a whole bunch and when they went to 10 cents I cashed in. I had $35 worth of bottles when I cashed in. I spent the entire $35 on a rare mercury head dime.

When I was young I loved rare coins and I did well with them when I sold later in life.

Anyway, after cans were the thing, I used to ride a bike picking them up to cover a lot of area. The cheapest price I ever remember selling for was 30 cents a pound.

I no longer pick up any cans, but I save my beer cans, and normally I get around $80 for a pickup load when I cash in. It is like free money.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnnypinball007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/precious-metals-gold-silver-and-everything-else?tu=johnnypinball007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.