(Topic ID: 286786)

Precious Metals? Gold, Silver, Prospecting and Collecting.

By phil-lee

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 647 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
F5107C5A-5953-4106-BD37-FD65485BE74E (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
_20240404_112124 (resized).JPG
_20240404_111942 (resized).JPG
image_67226625 (resized).JPG
IMG_6312 conv (resized).jpeg
IMG_6311 conv (resized).jpeg
Copper map (resized).jpg
gold_20_year_o_jpy_x (resized).png
_20231028_130347 (resized).JPG
_20231028_130309 (resized).JPG
1DAD5E23-1CAB-42CE-8E38-9957B65892F6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8369 (resized).jpg
_20230112_083641 (resized).JPG
pasted_image(Image) (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Perspective from a rare coin seller. Posted by Coindork (3 years ago)

Post #86 Amazing photos from actual miner and a great story. Posted by Onwallst (3 years ago)

Post #109 Great power point on gold demand. Posted by ManyQuarters (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jaeg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Bought a dozen each of the 1 oz silver eagles and buffalo indian head coins to pass out as gifts this up coming christmas. Got them from JM Bullion before the reddit boys hype for $31.5 each . They look pretty nice so hope the kids like them. I see someone is going to make a redditboys and 2 oz bigfoot coin .Im a first timer but looks like a fun hobby .

For years I've purchased from Lincoln Coin and Bullion which is a brick and mortar store not too far from you. They have been great to work with.

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Yes so most of what we get is gold dust. Nuggets are rare in total gold weight volume. We then smelt it. Did that my self. We also have seconds that come off the gold MSI shaker table. The seconds have gold with black sand. At the end of year you will have a few buckets. You use acid and the gold comes out of it. That is where that bar came from. It is usually 2-3 percent of your total production but a nice end of season winter gift. Gold usually has small impurities and mainly silver with it. When you smelt you get the silver and gold to separate. I have found silver nuggets but they are extremely rare. Usually the acid from the rain breaks them down.

This is super interesting to me. I'm curious how difficult is it to get proper permits and permissions needed such as water usage and what if anything do you have to do once a spot is mined out? Do you have to replant, grade in holes etc?

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

There are different levels of permits. The exploration permits are easy buy really low volume and just for testing. 60-120 days depending on state. You have to post a bond. A full mining permit can take 18 months-4 years. Full permits are broke down by disturbed acreage. You have to post a bond for everything. In certain counties you have to get a special use permit. This can be hard. Every large scale permit has public input at the state and county level. You have to go in front of the zoning committee and then county commissioners for approval. If commissioners vote you down you are stopped. You can appeal to district court. After you get a special use and state reclamation permit you have 30 days to post the bond. Your permit shows your mining plan. You have to reclaim constantly and replant grass or trees. Then you need a air emissions permit. It is a calculation and usually 12-18 months. Depending how close to the River you may need a army Corp of engineers permit. Water rights you need industrial or mining rights. You can buy or lease the water. Depending on the state you have to do engineering and get approval for your substitute water augmentation plan. 6-12 months. You may never get the permit and be stuck with fees. You can run all permits at the same time but have to have local approval prior to getting a state reclamation permit. I have been successful but have also had ones that politics required me to withdrawal or certain things that we could not comply with based on location to structures or neighbors. If you comply with the laws they use to not be able to deny you. That game has changed in recent years, as many are anti mining. This will cause the rise in construction materials to continue. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the detailed response. I suspected it was a complex and costly process that likely will only get worse.
You might have touched on this but what minerals or metals do you get other than gold. And if silver is a biproduct, what ratio is average of gold to silver. For example do you get 10 ounces of gold to 1 ounce of silver.

1 year later
#484 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

We saw $1900 an ounce gold today for the first time since 2011!

I sold gold about 3yrs ago over 2k per ounce

2 years later
#627 15 days ago

Sold Gold yesterday. Hoping I hit near peak.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jaeg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/precious-metals-gold-silver-and-everything-else?tu=Jaeg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.