(Topic ID: 286786)

Precious Metals? Gold, Silver, Prospecting and Collecting.

By phil-lee

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 668 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1896 (resized).jpeg
_20240424_124519 (resized).JPG
IMG_1888 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1860 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F5107C5A-5953-4106-BD37-FD65485BE74E (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
_20240404_112124 (resized).JPG
_20240404_111942 (resized).JPG
image_67226625 (resized).JPG
IMG_6312 conv (resized).jpeg
IMG_6311 conv (resized).jpeg
Copper map (resized).jpg
gold_20_year_o_jpy_x (resized).png
_20231028_130347 (resized).JPG
_20231028_130309 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 668 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.
#351 2 years ago

Every Stacker runs in to APMEX eventually.
Here is the lowdown on APMEX. You will get what you ordered and it will be genuine.
What you want is usually in stock. There is a great selection to choose from.
If you order 200 bucks worth you get free shipping.
However you are going to PAY for that Service.
They are usually higher than other sources including local coin shops.
There are really few deals on APMEX unless you are knowledgable and or speculating.
If you do find an obscure offering and buy it expect the price to rise the next day. They watch what sells.
Their precious metal Spot prices at the top of the screen are usually higher than actual prices being traded at that moment.
They will stop sales with no explanation.

I located a great LCS (Local Coin Shop) and will be pointing my Business there in the near future. No minimum purchase VS shipping hassles and the prices are more realistic.
They will put individual coins on the electronic tester in front of you by request.
Plus the old guy at a local Antique Mall with a small glass case and a chair.
Pretty much OVER APMEX, even though they have items you may not find easily anywhere else.

#352 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The difference is you can't buy food, fuel, or a roof over your head with a pin if the economy collapses. If that happens anything made only for amusement will become almost worthless. Gold follows inflation, rich man's amusement devices aren't guaranteed to do that. The gold was the better choice.

I met this financial writer, Avi Gilburt, tonight when he came in town for meetup for his subscribers. He is a market follower and follows metals also. He mentioned that during bad financial periods you want to own things that “hold value”. He explained that during the housing crisis stocks dropped 4 times lower than gold. He added that gold may not go up during the next down period but “could” hold value well during that time. It gave me good perspective on expectations of “holdings” during a down period - own items that hold value the best.

I think pinball machines could do “ok” value wise during a downturn. Why? Once you own them they provide entertainment at a low cost compared to say a second home, boat, or collector car. The people who own these machines now are more financially secure in general and they love their games. So pins will go down but will likely hold their value a lot better than say Apple stock, it that does not mean a pinball machine will not go down on value, it likely will.

And I was thinking, if folks here are accumulating gold as a hedge for an economic down period which will “probably” come in the next 2-3 years. I would follow the stock market. Avi Gilburt has free articles on Seeking Alpha that a very informative. He has been a bull and guided me through 2020, but is going to start preparing later next year for a possible “large” market pull back. He writes about the downturn sometimes. I would highly recommend him as one of the authors to follow as we go into 2023. He has interesting ideas. For example he recommended tonight that he will likely be taking his IRA accounts out of brokerages and transferring them by opening IRAs with certain banks which will be more stable than others - likely not the big banks. He said he is having one his analysts on his staff start to do research to find the most financially secure banks and will have a list next year for his members to reference. Might not be a bad idea.

I am a stock investor with one foot on the pedal but I have one foot on the brake and will hit it before the bad times come, so I am following metals.

Here is link to his free articles. And this is all FYI if you are interested. I wish you all well

https://seekingalpha.com/author/avi-gilburt#regular_articles

Example of a 2-3 year from now Bear article which he writes every now and then

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4429877-sentiment-speaks-its-the-roaring-20s-again-begin-to-prepare-for-the-same-ending

#353 2 years ago

Curious to see what happens to prices after the fed talks about interest rates.

#354 2 years ago

Reddit group Wall Street Silver has a coordinated Silver Raid tomorrow. The group is 160k strong. Should be interesting.

#355 2 years ago

It's a good time to buy now, even if price is up a bit.

1 week later
#356 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

It's a good time to buy now, even if price is up a bit.

I think you were right. Could drop a little and then go up again but looking reasonably good over next couple of months and into 2022 and good for a while from there, so not a bad time to add. And for price appreciation I still lean Silver over gold for the future. As I mentioned I don't hold actual metal but etf trusts an miners. It’s been a little bit of a ride but a month ago I posted about and GLD is up around 5% and SLV 11%. Minors I mentioned NEM up 8% and SILV up a huge 38% since then. I am holding a lot more SILV and riding it out into 2022 and likely 2023. I like a miner AG also.

Not to say how smart I am or brag but wanted to give you an update and also if miners do well Metals do well also, they kind of “rhyme” a little. Both could drop a bit before they go up. With pricing in metals or stocks pullbacks are good and actually healthy to get rid of the quick buck folks and will hopefully lead to a more steady rise as more longer term holders feel comfortable to join in. But pullbacks can test even the higher conviction holders.

I hope your holdings do well over the next year or two which is a view I am leaning towards as of now. But things can change and change quickly as we all know. Also the metals market does not give a flying crap what I think will happen or my plans for it. I fully know this and will adjust along the way.

Take care out there everyone

1 week later
#357 2 years ago

Who here thinks inflation can continue to rise yet the price of silver will remain in the 25 dollar range?
Do you believe the price of silver is manipulated to keep it in this range?
Can (or will) economic conditions in the U.S. deteriorate to a point where the price cannot be manipulated?

Before you begin accumulating silver research and answer these questions for your own piece of mind.

#358 2 years ago

I think it is only a matter of time before a world currency. I am not sure where precious metals will land when it happens but they always prop up the new economies. So I am optimistic.

#359 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I think it is only a matter of time before a world currency. I am not sure where precious metals will land when it happens but they always prop up the new economies. So I am optimistic.

Its strange that as hard as China is pumping a digital Yuan they continue to purchase massive amounts of gold. If they propose to claim a gold-backed digital currency but do not allow the option to cash out for physical can't see it working.
They certainly are not proponents of audits for their metal holdings, and if they were it would probably be fiction.
So they proclaim " Our currency is backed by gold" and everyone just accepts it?
Not much different than "In God we trust".
India, Germany, Russia and a host of other Countries are purchasing tons of gold bullion as well.
They must believe it has staying value.

#360 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Who here thinks inflation can continue to rise yet the price of silver will remain in the 25 dollar range?
Do you believe the price of silver is manipulated to keep it in this range?
Can (or will) economic conditions in the U.S. deteriorate to a point where the price cannot be manipulated?
Before you begin accumulating silver research and answer these questions for your own piece of mind.

You mean manipulation by traders, institutions or Governments? All?

I have been researching about how things will go over the next decade to try to plan the best I can for an economic downturn which is very possible as of now and pushing towards probable. Currency and metals come up a lot in my research. Lyn Alden is good at explaining financial systems with how things work and how the past got us to where we are at today.

https://www.lynalden.com/fraying-petrodollar-system/

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4470161-qe-wealth-concentration-and-political-risk

Avi Gilburt I follow for what will could happen with the stock markets and he follows metals also. He just goes over set pattens of human behaviors, their waves over time and how they can change. He follows charts and doesn’t care about “news” and follows investor sentiment for the overall market and looks for opportunities. He is not a perma bull or bear. Here is a recent video of his and he goes over his expectations for the stock markets, miners and metals 22:30, whether gold is a hedge during market volatility 33:00, and answers other questions at the end. In general his view on metals is he will accumulate when they are oversold but may sell at market tops. He mentioned gold hitting $2200 in next year or so and he may sell some of his long positions.

I follow Avi because he is the one who explained out the path of the stock markets the best coming out of the 2020 downturn. I will follow him more now as he focuses on the timing of my exit since there is a fairly chance of a major market pullback coming I. The next few years. He feels we have a lot more upside before this happens though.

All FYI. Have a nice Thanksgiving

#361 2 years ago

Pinny, the majority of your Posts seem to push this guy. You are free to Post what you think is relevant or helpful, but I have to ask, do you receive compensation to promote this individual?

#362 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Pinny, the majority of your Posts seem to push this guy. You are free to Post what you think is relevant or helpful, but I have to ask, do you receive compensation to promote this individual?

Not at all. To be honest I am just very interested how the financial markets may go through the end of the decade, what type of speed bumps we may hit along the way, and how assets stocks, bonds, real estate and yes metals will do before during and after an economic drop.

Metals interest me a lot and I like this guy and pay $100 a month for his service, with no referral discount by the way. Went to him for stocks but he follows metals and is an owner and follower BUT not a perma bull or bear. Over the last few months he got me interested in metals. He has 7500 members and 1000 of them are asset managers, 15 analysts on his team and has been doing what he has been doing for almost 20 years. He does give free guidance though and all his advice paid or free is just ONE way of gathering info so one can make better financial decisions. Good to take in a lot of views about metals. Once again no referral given on anything.

It’s hard to get information from someone who is very bullish or bearish not matter what. I would rather get info from someone who accumulates metals during certain years and is at least open to selling at certain tops. He also gives short term analysis of pricing waves which can be helpful. Really if metals raise up over next few years, which they have a higher chance of doing at this point, its likely going to be in part from folks buying who do not hold it for the same reason as you do. They will be out faster once things slow down. Like it or not the buy and holders will be along for the ups and downs which is true with any asset one owns or wants to own. Like he is a bull on stocks now, like he was coming out of Spring 2020, but warning of a bear market in the near feature and will start to plan an exit in late 2022. Stocks performance does not rhyme with metals, but sometimes they run together. For me it’s all part of learning and planning, keeping track of possibilities and probabilities of ups and down and with any asset including metals plan ahead before the masses join in or sell out. But always do what best for you.

With the whole background thing I am learning about the history of how we got to where we are at now. Why GOOG AAPL TSLA are so valuable and hard assets, commodities and metals a lot less. But it’s just views and you know a lot more about what has happened with metals over the years.

Following this thread because it interests me and interested in following and accumulating some metals over next few years. I just own some gold coins now and invest in miners and metal trusts as of now.

Hope I explained things ok. Don’t worry, I won’t post a lot though. And yeah my posts can be long. Sorry. : )

#363 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Don’t worry, I won’t post a lot though.

Not worried, as you can see this is not exactly a hot thread. Everyone seems to have said all they wanted to say about PM and moved on.
It will probably fade away pretty soon down that dark hole dead threads go to.
It's all good though. Post all you want.

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

You mean manipulation by traders, institutions or Governments? All?

From what I understand whales like JP Morgan who own a gazillion ounces play with the silver futures through contracts to keep it at a certain price point.
This of course makes it easier for them to stack more for cheap.
Can't have a bunch of rednecks making a windfall profit from their bars or coins.
Or any other Investor for that matter.
The only way to break this control is a massive sustained mining shortage.
Or Federal intervention. They just paid a 60 million dollar fine for metals manipulation. On top of a similar 1 billion dollar fine a year ago. On top of a 15 million dollar fine 2 Months ago for Stock Spoofing.
Pocket change.
Cost of doing Business. Rinse and repeat.

#364 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Not worried, as you can see this is not exactly a hot thread. Everyone seems to have said all they wanted to say about PM and moved on.
It will probably fade away pretty soon down that dark hole dead threads go to.
It's all good though. Post all you want.

From what I understand whales like JP Morgan who own a gazillion ounces play with the silver futures through contracts to keep it at a certain price point.
This of course makes it easier for them to stack more for cheap.
Can't have a bunch of rednecks making a windfall profit from their bars or coins.
Or any other Investor for that matter.
The only way to break this control is a massive sustained mining shortage.
Or Federal intervention. They just paid a multiple-billion dollar fine for manipulation.
Pocket change, they were hit with the same charges/fines several times in the near past.
Cost of doing Business. Rinse and repeat.

I see. Yes the article above “Wealth concentration and political risk” goes over how the US Fed 25 years ago decided that having a strong stock market was one of their jobs besides helping control inflation and keep employment at good levels. The Fed backs the large banks and they can manipulate the markets. This can work until it doesn’t and depositors may be more on the hook during the next drop compared to 2008 which is what that metals guy I follow has mentioned also. We will see. The more I look into things from the past the more I feel kind of blah about how things work.

Thread will be quiet but may pick up if metals make a run over the next year or two. Maybe then you won’t be “weird”.

Have a nice Thanksgiving

#365 2 years ago

What is your favorite gold or silver coin?

#366 2 years ago

Probably the Guns Up America round you can break in half.

Guns-Up-America-Your-Right-to-Bear-Arms (resized).jpgGuns-Up-America-Your-Right-to-Bear-Arms (resized).jpg

#367 2 years ago

Thats cool Crash. Saves using nippers and a scale.
You do realize if things keep going the way they are going we will be buying gas with silver soon?

#368 2 years ago

Yes, most likely silver quarters, dimes, and halves at first. A coin shop owner covers that well in this video, particularly at the 7:30 mark. I've seen a sign at a gas station someone shared on social media where a gallon of gas was $0.25, if you had a silver quarter. I can't find the photo now.

#369 2 years ago

I watch him on Yankee all the time, he needs his own show. Really straight up Dealer.

#371 2 years ago

Its interesting how gold went up yesterday but silver remained low. The ratio almost hit 78 to 1. The banks can't manipulate silver much longer, look what happened just a couple weeks ago.

#372 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Its interesting how gold went up yesterday but silver remained low. The ratio almost hit 78 to 1. The banks can't manipulate silver much longer, look what happened just a couple weeks ago.

I'm hearing JP Morgan and others have shorted silver and will lose big if its above 21 Oz at the end of the year.
Tired of the psy-op with silver, doubling down on gold.
Have a 1/20 and a 1/10 coming tomorrow. Still love the small coins.
Plan on a 1/2 oz Presidents Spouse coin (24Kt) in January. Avoiding silver and gold Eagles.

#373 2 years ago

Poor Retail sales and less than stellar black friday.
Repercussions from the Evergrande default and China economic woes.
Turkish currency= huge drop in value.
GDP to Debt ratio skyrocketing.
These are the actual reasons the Market is dropping. The new variant means little.
Silver normally does well under these pressures, not now.
Gold is holding its on in comparison.

Will venture in to some Mexican gold coins on sale. Last purchase of the Year.
This Month will get rough if current Trends continue.

#374 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Would anyone be interested in trading a pin for American Gold Eagles?

If anyone has a Godzilla or Stranger Things Premium and would rather have five 1oz American Gold Eagles, let me know.

#375 2 years ago

Picked up this Harry Potter silver piece for my niece for Christmas!

35F0278B-F07A-4846-A71E-4E618A230C24 (resized).jpeg35F0278B-F07A-4846-A71E-4E618A230C24 (resized).jpegABD1F6AD-9B53-4610-85DF-2E52EE43A360 (resized).jpegABD1F6AD-9B53-4610-85DF-2E52EE43A360 (resized).jpegD0355991-D211-4AB1-9D5C-46AEA3E6AD7D (resized).jpegD0355991-D211-4AB1-9D5C-46AEA3E6AD7D (resized).jpeg
#376 2 years ago

I had to change the battery in my car keys (2018 Toyota) and...

...there it is inside, nice beautiful shiny gold, doing its high tech thing, making critical electrical connections that don't corrode and fail. Now multiply this by billions if not trillions of essential electrical connections used around the world by the public, industry, internet and government agencies and it's easy to see where 10% (and growing) of annual gold production goes. That amounts to more than the #1 (Newmont) and #2 (Barrick) world gold producers, combined, can produce in a year (source, World Gold Council).

Gold is vital to the nations of the modernizing world but it is very unequally distributed, with more than 75% of reserves present in only twenty countries. Also, the top producing countries so far in 2021 are, in order, China, Australia, USA and Russia. Gold is very strategic, not just vaulted (swapped/stolen/depleted) away as a monetary cornerstone or secured in a jewelry box but stockpiled, coveted, protected and used as a strategic high tech asset.

Gold helps to make sure and start my car in -20 degree winter weather from fifty feet away, gets my car to the grocery store, opens the trunk remotely and locks the valuables inside!

So...as for "You can't eat gold,"...Well, seems to me I can't get food without it!

And, oh yeah..."It's a barbarous relic,"...indeed, hardly!

DSCF7983 (resized).JPGDSCF7983 (resized).JPGDSCF7987 (resized).JPGDSCF7987 (resized).JPG
#377 2 years ago

Very interesting, I wonder how much gold that is? Does it compare to a Goldback (1/1000th of a Troy ounce)?

#378 2 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Picked up this Harry Potter silver piece for my niece for Christmas!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Love it! Harry Potter was a special time while my Daughter was growing up, I know she would appreciate one of these. Glad the coin comes out of the holder, Kids love to handle and hold silver.
Thanks for sharing.

#379 2 years ago
Quoted from ManyQuarters:

I had to change the battery in my car keys (2018 Toyota) and...
...there it is inside, nice beautiful shiny gold, doing its high tech thing, making critical electrical connections that don't corrode and fail. Now multiply this by billions if not trillions of essential electrical connections used around the world by the public, industry, internet and government agencies and it's easy to see where 10% (and growing) of annual gold production goes. That amounts to more than the #1 (Newmont) and #2 (Barrick) world gold producers, combined, can produce in a year (source, World Gold Council).
Gold is vital to the nations of the modernizing world but it is very unequally distributed, with more than 75% of reserves present in only twenty countries. Also, the top producing countries so far in 2021 are, in order, China, Australia, USA and Russia. Gold is very strategic, not just vaulted (swapped/stolen/depleted) away as a monetary cornerstone or secured in a jewelry box but stockpiled, coveted, protected and used as a strategic high tech asset.
Gold helps to make sure and start my car in -20 degree winter weather from fifty feet away, gets my car to the grocery store, opens the trunk remotely and locks the valuables inside!
So...as for "You can't eat gold,"...Well, seems to me I can't get food without it!
And, oh yeah..."It's a barbarous relic,"...indeed, hardly! [quoted image][quoted image]

When it absolutely has to work gold is the only choice with electronics.
ALL of the Space technology uses gold in their switching/optic applications.
Surprised to see the new contact points from Pinball resource look like solid gold, could be plated but a very quality product.
I use to show Recycle videos in my Environmental/safety meetings and there was one where they dumped tons of E-waste on a conveyor belt.
As it went through the Plant a magnet pulled all the ferrous out.
Human Sorters pulled visible trash.
A negative charge device ejected noble metals.
At the end an Operator sat in a chair in front of 3 spouts.
Liquid gold poured from one and filled containers like a Coke fountain machine.
E-Waste is full of gold and silver

#380 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Very interesting, I wonder how much gold that is? Does it compare to a Goldback (1/1000th of a Troy ounce)?

I don't know Crash...but multiply by an ever increasing number of these gadgets/cell phones/MIC stuff/cyber miners/self drivers/e-bikers and other electrical varmints hogging on the quality of gold electrical connectivity and you're talking a lot of tons!

Industrial use of gold in 2020 = 357 tons.

Gold recycling (resized).pngGold recycling (resized).png
#381 2 years ago

I don't know Crash...but multiply by an ever increasing number of these gadgets/cell phones/MIC stuff/cyber miners/self drivers/e-bikers and other electrical varmints hogging on the quality of gold electrical connectivity and you're talking a lot of tons!
Industrial use of gold in 2020 = 357 tons.[quoted image]

That last Chart is shocking. 90% of cell phones are not recycled? A lot of buyback programs for old phones in the US. What are these phones being tossed in the trash? Prepaid flip phones from third world countries?
Need to freshen up my knowledge on the recycling market.
Thanks!

#382 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

That last Chart is shocking. 90% of cell phones are not recycled? A lot of buyback programs for old phones in the US. What are these phones being tossed in the trash? Prepaid flip phones from third world countries?
Need to freshen up my knowledge on the recycling market.
Thanks!

phil-lee, many cell phones and lap tops etc. are stored away in a drawer, warehoused or wiped and sold after upgrading, not taken to the recycling. Always a chance contained information will be needed again or...cough...inadvertently make its way into a courtroom.
Best if kept stacked and unhacked!

#383 2 years ago

phil-lee, many cell phones and lap tops etc. are stored away in a drawer, warehoused or wiped and sold after upgrading, not taken to the recycling. Always a chance contained information will be needed again or...cough...inadvertently make its way into a courtroom.
Best if kept stacked and unhacked!

Makes sense. I knew a lot of silver is thrown away and outright destroyed.
E-waste is the worst. Yeah, a lot of recycle efforts for the electronic innards but the plastic left over used to be non reusable, don't know if that has changed.
A friend used to run a shredder for hard drives, I asked him why were the rare earth magnets destroyed, "Too much trouble to remove".

#384 2 years ago

A friend of mine is big into gold and silver, buying mining stocks like Barrick instead of physical assets. We’ve had lots of discussions about investing and I’ve come to the conclusion that metals just aren’t what they used to be. Gold / silver used to be a traditional hedge against bear markets, but looking at the last 10 years it seems to me that dollar cost averaging into S&P 500 stocks regardless of market volatility is better. I suspect crypto is taking most younger investor’s interest as a hedge against inflation and the gold crowd is becoming the old crowd.

One trap I see my friend falling for is search engine algorithms feeding him information that only reinforces his confirmation biases. He wants his investments to do well, so he only reads articles that are reassuring to him. His example is a cautionary tale for me. When I’m ready to invest again, I’m steering away from traditional metals. I think the current state of play in this arena is unlikely to revert to traditional hedge strategies unless there’s heavy governmental regulation of crypto.

#385 2 years ago

When China becomes the Worlds reserve currency provider it will be in part due to it being backed by something tangible, perhaps the massive purchases of gold bullion it hoards.
When the US defaults on its debts and loses reserve currency status it will in part be due to its currency backed by nothing.
Study current use of gold by Venezuela citizens for one example of what will happen.
The profitability of equities will continue until.. it doesn't.

The young people I know are getting discouraged by wild swings and hacking incidents with crypto and looking for alternate places to put their money.

#386 2 years ago

This morning I watched the following commentary shows.
"How will War with Russia effect silver prices?"
"Will War with Russia cause a dip in Bitcoin?"
"Will the Market drop or rise during a War with Russia?"

It's official Folks. People have lost their damn minds.

#387 2 years ago

I agree. There is nothing going on with Russia, no different than 2 years ago.

#388 2 years ago

I think we all have a sneaking suspicion silver is dropping below 20 bucks soon, very soon.
No surprise, still like gold.

#389 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I agree. There is nothing going on with Russia, no different than 2 years ago.

I will go ahead and answer these questions.
Silver will be real liquid in the major Cities, near worthless in rural areas.
Bitcoin will experience a major dip when EMP weapons kill the power grid. Long term.
The Market will experience fluctuations when WW3 becomes a reality. Day trading may be suspended.

#390 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I think we all have a sneaking suspicion silver is dropping below 20 bucks soon, very soon.
No surprise, still like gold.

Here I am! Ha. Yes possible, not probable, drop to as low as $16-17 Phil. The expectation is still the same of a high possibility of a late 2022 and 2023 run though. All based on the chart voodoo magic mumbo jumbo.

Hope you are doing well

#391 2 years ago

You speak as if you are an authority, and I am your student. Like you have hidden knowledge. Do you read your Horoscope every morning? Get your palm read?
Wonder if the folks in Wienmar had a chart telling them a wheelbarrow full of money would be needed for a loaf of bread?
Did the Venezuelans follow any youtube economic gurus warning them haircuts would cost 1/8 gram of gold in 2021?
Where is the chart that accounts for and accurately predicts Black Swan events, or acts of God like occurred in Kentucky?
I'm glad you have found something to put your faith in and like an economic evangelist want to spread the truth to all the unwashed.
Your guy knows NOTHING, and comes from a long of KNOW NOTHINGS. Slick words, charts, and don't forget to pay your subscription.
One event and all those tidy prognostications come tumbling down.
You have to be young. This is the same way people are sucked in to cults and start believing in mystics and gurus.

#392 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

You speak as if you are an authority, and I am your student. Like you have hidden knowledge. Do you read your Horoscope every morning? Get your palm read?
Wonder if the folks in Wienmar had a chart telling them a wheelbarrow full of money would be needed for a loaf of bread?
Did the Venezuelans follow any youtube economic gurus warning them haircuts would cost 1/8 gram of gold in 2021?
Where is the chart that accounts for and accurately predicts Black Swan events, or acts of God like occurred in Kentucky?
I'm glad you have found something to put your faith in and like an economic evangelist want to spread the truth to all the unwashed.
Your guy knows NOTHING, and comes from a long of KNOW NOTHINGS. Slick words, charts, and don't forget to pay your subscription.
One event and all those tidy prognostications come tumbling down.
You have to be young. This is the same way people are sucked in to cults and start believing in mystics and gurus.

If only you knew who you were speaking with…Pinny has impressed me greatly with his knowledge in a variety of investment fronts.

#393 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

If only you knew who you were speaking with…

Any time someone gives me this line my ears shut off. Don't care.
Experienced so many people who thought they had the answers, all of them save maybe Warren Buffet turned out to be wrong.
Remember the Heritage (Jim Baker) scam? Billions of dollars invested after "Sessions" with brilliant forward thinkers "Teaching" the masses with charts and prognostication. At that point had nothing to with religion, just peoples inherent greed wanting to believe these slick talkers.
Go by the place now. Weeds.
Seen the Amway scam first hand. Family members, friends and neighbors "Trained" to be millionaires and falling hook and line with a blind faith in their economic guru snake oil salesman.
Anyone still invested in Amway?
Know a dozen co-workers taken during the 2008 period, one of them "knew a guy" that was a genius economic adviser and Investor, who could "Get their money back they had lost". Heard him speak, promised %26 returns, had all the charts to prove it.
They all signed up for his Newsletter and gave him their money. They all lost again.
Nobody can call a bottom, or a top.
Nobody can predict the future. Maybe a 30 day call, not 2 years.
Too many variables right now.

#394 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Any time someone gives me this line my ears shut off. Don't care.

Your issue is not with me. I am just taking up for Pinny who you were going after. I know Pinny to be a well read and sophisticated investor. I think you are off base with your assessment of the questions that he is asking you, but that is between the two of you. But for what it is worth, Pinny is not a young'un.

I grew up relatively near where you are from and have kin all throughout southern VA and NC. It does not surprise me at all that you know folks that were taking advantage of these scams as I do as well. A lot of them were perpetuated via church as that is a big part of the culture down there. AMWAY, Cosmetics, Tupperware, Clothing; hell, there was even a tire scam going on. You are right, it was a lot of greed that got people into this, but they were led there by folks that had somewhat "legitimacy" from whom they were or who they are affiliated with. From my experience these people were not stupid, but were gullible, too trusting, and not sophisticated at all when it came to money. In a lot of cases, they are behind on things, don't have a lot of options, and are looking for ways to get ahead. Makes them turn off their better senses. You do see this behavior everywhere.

FWIW, EMP's do not work the way that you probably think. An EMP is a fairly localized event, with the range being roughly line of sight of the fireball of the explosion. If it explodes higher, it would get more distance of course. And with the banking and internet being decentralized, you would need a bunch to take out the networks, all coordinated. There is a lot of inaccurate information out of the web in particular on a lot of prepper and science fiction sites. When I worked in this space right out of college, we spent a lot of time looking into this.

#395 2 years ago

Do you know who you are speaking with?
I do not toot my own horn much, perhaps the anonymity of the Forum has allowed a certain typecast to come across that is not entirely accurate.
Suffice it to say I was born with a high intelligence quotient. Financial independence for me has came about from listening to many and making my own decisions, as well as what many now call old school tried and true.
Pretty obvious the connection to religious charlatans would gleam the quickest commentary, could easily give a dozen examples from the secular Community (Bernie Madoff?)
Bottom line is so-called Professionals were hired by these groups with little to no connections with a Church.
A common thread among Financial Advisors or whatever you wish to call them is they are Sales People. Great communication skills, well dressed and groomed, and trained in delivering a presentation.
Many hint at or downright push the notion they have the secret, or a radically different approach to success. This sales angle evolves over time.
Many are successful at what they do, many more fail.

I have no beef with Pinny and apologize if I came back too harshly. Sorry Pinnyhead!
Glad that his success has made an impression on you and that you would defend a slight.
Right now I do get a little miffed at anyone advising long term prognostications (predictions).
Things are simply too volatile to do so accurately.

As far as EMP weapons. Any thermonuclear explosion has a side effect of electromagnetic pulse. Rather than a dedicated EMP being deployed I would expect the likely hood of a major wholesale bombing to be greater.
When these maniacs let off something fear will drive an engagement anything but limited.

#396 2 years ago

It's all good, @phil-lee. Unlike you, I was and am only blessed with moderate intelligence. It took a lot of time and effort and luck, but I found a way to stumble through life. After I worked for a major defense contractor for a few years I found my true calling: that of a dastardly sales guy! I shit you not, that is my profession. I think that I am only fair to middling at what I do, but others don't and they pay me well, so I guess that is all that matters. Another true fact: I have had to take a bunch of personality tests throughout the years for jobs (buyer wants to know what they are buying, you know what I mean?) and I had more than one test say that I would be good as either a sales man or a religious leader. Evidently, they share a lot of the same skill sets. Who knew? As for the secrets of being a sales guy, we dress based upon the occasion of whom we are meeting (I wear everything from suits to jeans and a sports coat), presentation skills are not as important as one would think, but communication skills are even more importation. I have never been able to shake my Piedmont accent, but I have found out how to overcome. But the real key to sales is differentiation; how do you make similar thing seem different. You figure that out and you can sell anything.

Enough about that. I fully agree that nobody knows what way anything is going in the longterm. As a dumb (but pragmatic) investor, I think precious metals are a crap investment for returns and a so-so hedge against inflation, I think crypto is a crapshoot right now and will ultimately fail due to crypto 2.0 due to regulation (governments are going to figure out how to get their beaks wet), I think tech stocks and reopening plays are good for about 60-90 days before a rotation occurs (don't know what that rotation will be, but I will figure it out then), and I will personally be lightning up my investment exposure for a bit. Could happen, could not; I'm just a dumb redneck from the VA/NC line who grew up in a trailer park. But I will let my financial advisors and my Ouija board figure it out for me.

#397 2 years ago

Don't sell yourself short. Ha.
Seriously I admire several friends who are in to Sales. One, Bill, told me "You think its all fun and games huh? I had to drive to West Virginia, meet with a mine Owner in his house last night. He wanted to drink whiskey the first 3 hours and tell stories. Then, around 11 we got down to Business and I had to figure out a 100.000 Order for a million hydraulic parts.
Then drove back after 3 hours of fitful sleep and prepare a presentation in Greensboro at a Hotel. They expect you to look fresh and sharp the whole time"

I've made it clear I do not depend on Metals, just collecting to leave to my Daughter and kids. Dropped silver from contention awhile back.
I do still like gold, if the US pulls a Venezuela and doesn't get destroyed I'm ready. It's not an Investment, or an inflation hedge. It's gold, unique. As long as China and Russia buys tons every year I figure its got to be worth stacking a little.
As far as intelligence goes? I have always heard a genius is one step from an idiot and I concur.
Had a friend in School (we will call him Mark) who was always doodling weird pictures, completely out of line, just a misfit. The Teacher came in one day when he was out. "Class, all of you are bright or you wouldn't be in here. I was just in the Office looking at records, who do you think has the highest IQ of all of you?"
Yeah, it was Mark. 240 or something. He eventually killed a guy and went to prison.
So IQ doesn't mean shit.
Like Mark, I have always had problems interacting with people. One of the reasons pinball worked so well, I could go out and be a part of the night while in a corner playing a game.

#398 2 years ago

I am not mad or upset Phil. But realize I am not Making money off folks here, not claiming to be an expert on metals or anything. And you saying I am following and spreading views from folks who are in on some kind of scam like Amway or scammer like Madoff or saying they are talking about “guaranteed returns”? What the heck are you talking about??

I just follow and subscribe to folks because I don’t use an expert to manage my money. I feel a lot of pressure on me since I have always managed my own finances, have done well over the years and recently subscribed to folks who help guide me for peace of mind. 2020 I was lost after the downturn. I felt clueless. For the first time in my life I felt I needed help and luckily got in with a few good folks. I would have not done what I did without them and actually folks on Pinside helping also last year. Go figure? I know.

And keep in mind the charts guys I am referencing who you keep your ears closed to are kind of rhyming with what you are saying Phil. In future could be problems with currency and debt which could effect markets poorly and effect the US and world economies negatively after. But they are not guaranteeing anything. Is that kind of your view of what could happen? So whats the problem? I hope they are wrong by the way.

Is what I mentioned all “guaranteed” no. Should you listen to me or anyone here? Maybe. Should you do everything I say? No. Is it worth looking at views and seeing how they go and following a group of folks who make sense, aren’t know it all aholes, or not perma bulls or perma bears who are guaranteeing they will be right and will stick with their views until they go down with their ship and then from all these views form your own opinion on what works for you, your needs, risk tolerance and time frame, get a plan and go and adjust along the way? Sure.

I really have to take this seriously since I have a lot of money in. Will I always be totally correct short term on stocks and my little play on metals? No but you can be damn sure I will have a good shot at getting some more gains i they come and of avoiding the next big stock downturn and being safer during a possible economic downturn. I am 50 and have no need for a risky victory lap when a storm may be brewing. That being said I am not a bear now. No. And I won’t do the story about how I grew up middle class, barely, then middle class divorced family worse - ugh, so didn’t have a lot or about how I had parents who grew up really poor. Not a competition here. Lol. But yeah that was me.

I just know DBLM from the stock thread we followed. We owned PLTR for a while and kept in touch on it. I sold half at $29 and half at $25 after buying thousands of shares at $13. He did well on it also. I also told him when I sold all my 2020 big winners last February. I actually told everyone on the stock thread. It saved me alot of losses. Posting in public what you do is the best. You can look good or bad. Oh but me selling all those stocks in Feb is a good lesson on following folks. A guy I subscribed to Spring of 2020 Andres Cardenal got me in those stocks early, but he still had a long term view on them in 2021. I won 2020, had a bad feeling about them and thought they were way to hot and didn’t need to take a victory lap in 2021, so I then sold all my 2020 winners. Some went up after but most are down and waaaaay down. Like PINS sold my last 1000 shares at $81. Now? Yikes! After I sold I messaged Andres and said thanks for all his help but I am selling out and his reply was “I am very happy for you and it seems like you know what you want from playing this game”. And thinking back he always said “I give guidance but the ultimate decision is up to you.” So figure out how you want to play the game, follow who you want or no one and it’s up to you what you do in the end. Pretty much right I think?

So no student teacher stuff Phil. Or preacher or expert views with guaranteeing returns stuff from me. Just started to lightly invest in and follow metals and stumbled upon this thread. All general discussion. Predictions- who knows? But have to have a little plan at least for what we all want to do. If you noticed I said “voodoo magic” charts because some folks follow and some say they are BS but that’s ok. What is interesting is that they were along the lines of what you said “possible lower then $20 coming on Silver.” Yes You could very well be right is all they were saying and I was posting. Not stealing your thunder but realizing I read the same thing last week. Just another view backing your opinion on possibilities of Silver pricing.

Like voodoo I also mention myself as the old man yelling at the clouds with my downward stock view coming within next few years. It means I take it seriously but not too seriously and saying yeah I could be wrong. I will tell folks when I am in or out though. But folks need to not do what I do and do what is best for them.

Just some background. All good and no ill will here Phil. I hope you everyone here does well.

#399 2 years ago

I just realized something interesting about nickels... check the 11:25 mark.

#400 2 years ago

I stack copper…. J/K. I just wanted to break the tension.

There are 668 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/precious-metals-gold-silver-and-everything-else/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.