(Topic ID: 286786)

Precious Metals? Gold, Silver, Prospecting and Collecting.

By phil-lee

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 668 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1896 (resized).jpeg
_20240424_124519 (resized).JPG
IMG_1888 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1860 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F5107C5A-5953-4106-BD37-FD65485BE74E (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
_20240404_112124 (resized).JPG
_20240404_111942 (resized).JPG
image_67226625 (resized).JPG
IMG_6312 conv (resized).jpeg
IMG_6311 conv (resized).jpeg
Copper map (resized).jpg
gold_20_year_o_jpy_x (resized).png
_20231028_130347 (resized).JPG
_20231028_130309 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 668 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
#101 3 years ago

After seeing how many dollars are being printed the last couple of months (and always, really) I started stacking silver rounds to store what I have (NOT to invest for a return as precious metals aren't an investment). I have a few sovereign mint coins from various countries so far, whatever I can find as close to the spot price per ounce as possible. I'm brand new to this and have already familiarized myself with several methods to verify my coins and junk silver like the ping test, ice cube test, and neodymium magnet test. It's like a treasure hunt!

Watch videos from Silver Dragons and others on YouTube. This one excellently sums up why you should buy (trade your dollars for) silver:

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

This is super interesting to me. I'm curious how difficult is it to get proper permits and permissions needed such as water usage and what if anything do you have to do once a spot is mined out? Do you have to replant, grade in holes etc?

There are different levels of permits. The exploration permits are easy buy really low volume and just for testing. 60-120 days depending on state. You have to post a bond. A full mining permit can take 18 months-4 years. Full permits are broke down by disturbed acreage. You have to post a bond for everything. In certain counties you have to get a special use permit. This can be hard. Every large scale permit has public input at the state and county level. You have to go in front of the zoning committee and then county commissioners for approval. If commissioners vote you down you are stopped. You can appeal to district court. After you get a special use and state reclamation permit you have 30 days to post the bond. Your permit shows your mining plan. You have to reclaim constantly and replant grass or trees. Then you need a air emissions permit. It is a calculation and usually 12-18 months. Depending how close to the River you may need a army Corp of engineers permit. Water rights you need industrial or mining rights. You can buy or lease the water. Depending on the state you have to do engineering and get approval for your substitute water augmentation plan. 6-12 months. You may never get the permit and be stuck with fees. You can run all permits at the same time but have to have local approval prior to getting a state reclamation permit. I have been successful but have also had ones that politics required me to withdrawal or certain things that we could not comply with based on location to structures or neighbors. If you comply with the laws they use to not be able to deny you. That game has changed in recent years, as many are anti mining. This will cause the rise in construction materials to continue. Hope that helps.

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

There are different levels of permits. The exploration permits are easy buy really low volume and just for testing. 60-120 days depending on state. You have to post a bond. A full mining permit can take 18 months-4 years. Full permits are broke down by disturbed acreage. You have to post a bond for everything. In certain counties you have to get a special use permit. This can be hard. Every large scale permit has public input at the state and county level. You have to go in front of the zoning committee and then county commissioners for approval. If commissioners vote you down you are stopped. You can appeal to district court. After you get a special use and state reclamation permit you have 30 days to post the bond. Your permit shows your mining plan. You have to reclaim constantly and replant grass or trees. Then you need a air emissions permit. It is a calculation and usually 12-18 months. Depending how close to the River you may need a army Corp of engineers permit. Water rights you need industrial or mining rights. You can buy or lease the water. Depending on the state you have to do engineering and get approval for your substitute water augmentation plan. 6-12 months. You may never get the permit and be stuck with fees. You can run all permits at the same time but have to have local approval prior to getting a state reclamation permit. I have been successful but have also had ones that politics required me to withdrawal or certain things that we could not comply with based on location to structures or neighbors. If you comply with the laws they use to not be able to deny you. That game has changed in recent years, as many are anti mining. This will cause the rise in construction materials to continue. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the detailed response. I suspected it was a complex and costly process that likely will only get worse.
You might have touched on this but what minerals or metals do you get other than gold. And if silver is a biproduct, what ratio is average of gold to silver. For example do you get 10 ounces of gold to 1 ounce of silver.

#104 3 years ago

Remember that simply Panning a potential Sight will tell the tale as to whether deposits exist.
Hone your Panning techniques and don't be afraid to dig down a little.
Look for Native Creeks that have been flowing since the beginning versus Man Made offshoots.
Go to the lowest point if you can. Dig deveral samples from the center of the Creek and to the sides.
Dig in curves of the Creek, move a few rocks.
Above all, have fun!

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

Thanks for the detailed response. I suspected it was a complex and costly process that likely will only get worse.
You might have touched on this but what minerals or metals do you get other than gold. And if silver is a biproduct, what ratio is average of gold to silver. For example do you get 10 ounces of gold to 1 ounce of silver.

It depends on the location. Anything I do in Colorado we get aggregate. Alluvial granite rock is really hard. I crush it and sell it by rail or trucks. It is made in different sizes for strength known as road spec. It is put in concrete or asphalt and mixed with lower grade aggregate make road material. Round material won’t “bind” like mine does. I also get silica material used in the semiconductor industry. Silver is a by product. Anywhere between 10 to 30 percent of volume Troy ounce depends on location and source.

In Alaska there is no by products. Cost of operations is usually three to four times higher. You do run 24/7 there but shorter season. You bring in supply’s and material on a ice road in the winter.

It is true it all begins with a pan. I prospect constantly. I use a pan and a gold cube. Next I will “pot hole”, this is where I use a hoe and dig, pan and gold cube slowly all the way to first layer bedrock and I will usually go through bed rock to the next layer. That is the true test. That is usually were I find what the old timers missed. Gold bearing pay dirt is in layers. You have to know what layers to watch and mine. Big boulders are great! It is a natural gold pan. Glacier ancient dams are good also. Never trust outside reports or drill logs. Pot holing only way to really understand. There are many ancient rivers that don’t show above the surface.

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Look up what the Hunt brothers did in the 80s.

When I was growing up back in the 70s my uncle would slip me a silver dollar every time I saw him. They were beat up circulated silver dollars that he had hoarded when he found out that they were no longer going to use silver in coins after 1964. By the time I was a senior in high school I had about 20 of them. I heard about the Hunt Brothers and the price of silver being up around $40 an ounce. I called around and went down to a place in Philadelphia that was buying silver for a pretty good price. I remember walking out of there with a huge roll of money. I didn't tell my parents, and I brought that roll of money with me to college the next year.

#107 3 years ago

https://www.novoresources.com/
Interesting video on large aussie gold field .

#108 3 years ago

The "Green" initiatives will rely heavily on copper and silver remaining affordable as well as obtainable. There is a lot of pressure right now for purchases of physical silver from "mom and pop" investors.
Pure speculation, I would not be surprised to see initiatives from the Feds to label these resources as Critical.
Much like key assets were labeled necessary during WW2 thus removing them from the Market along with the inherent speculation that leads to shortages.
I do not see Gold facing the same restrictions unless former buyers of Silver turn to the yellow stuff(which they will).
The Government turning to electric Fleet vehicles, massive increase in charging stations along with already astronomic production of wind turbines, solar cells and battery production will require a massive amount of copper and silver.
For it to be implemented successfully these resources must remain affordable.
Faith in precious metals threatens the same in fiat currencies (the dollar).

#109 3 years ago

For interest sake and further to being a key asset to technology, gold unlike silver and copper, does not oxidize (react, tarnish or corrode) and therefor it is critical to vital applications in the high tech, space, communications, medical, industrial and military fields. To expand a little on this topic, here are a few slides from a 2014 local talk I gave (various sources: World Gold Council, Goldcorp presentation 2014).

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG
#110 3 years ago

Excellent Presentation! Always loved good Powerpoints.
May be my imagination but some switch points on EM look gold, or gold plated.
I like all the Noble metals, Silicon and Manganese Bronze boat parts, Copper isn't too shabby either.

#111 3 years ago

I hold PM for Mad Max scenarios. In this scenario power is down or sparse, Internet access a precious luxury. Barter with something of value thats Universally recognized.
However security has always been a sticking point with precious metals.
Where the gold is, who has it are liabilities. "That guy just paid with a 2 gram bar, bet he has more"
Old timers buried it in yards, lowered jars of it into outhouses tied by a string under the seat, stashed it in chimneys and under stairwells.
My Friend owned an undocumented Civil War field Hospital (basically a really nice house in Souther Virginia).
They metal detected it and found stashes of coins and odd keepsakes in a predictable half circle in the back. Wounded patients couldn't go far but feared being ripped off while under the knife.
If crooks know you have a safe they throw a rusted 25 in your face to open it. Going around Town paying for things with PM when everybody else is struggling can go 2 ways, slipping tips for good will and some semblance of security or everybody watching and waiting to rob you.
Bottom line? If you are stacking for a grid down future keep your dealing with a few key Players, fuel, food, hardware.

#112 3 years ago

So where do you hold PM?
There is no perfect place. Home in a pinball machine coin tray? Slow them down a couple of hours.
A Bank safety deposit box? Safest, until the Bank locks its doors due to a run or other circumstance prevents access (Federal intervention, audit or internal limitations imposed by the Branch.)
Hidden? Backyard vault, mattress, vehicle? You must share the location with loved ones, opening them to repercussions.
Vehicles are open to random searches, the LE can seize cash and assets through forfeiture laws.
In the 1800's (and earlier) people sewed valuables inside their coat, or garment.
Home safe? Gun safe or any safe? A liability if anyone knows about it.
If you have precious metals keep it to yourself. This thread was a mistake in a way. Not a time to toot your horn when so many criminals roam.
Thanks for everyones input, good to meet a Miner, shipwreck aficionado and a professional coin Dealer.
As well as the Grey Men, everyday collectors you couldn't pick out from a crowd.
Embrace the Grey Man Concept.

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A Bank safety deposit box? Safest, until the Bank locks its doors due to a run or other circumstance prevents access (Federal intervention, audit or internal limitations imposed by the Branch.)

This is the only reasonable answer frankly. I don’t know anyone who keeps them at their house. I had a friend keep a large amount in a ski locker he owned, not a terrible place either but many of the same risks as a bank safety deposit box.

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

This is the only reasonable answer frankly. I don’t know anyone who keeps them at their house. I had a friend keep a large amount in a ski locker he owned, not a terrible place either but many of the same risks as a bank safety deposit box.

I agree, bank safety deposit box is best and even better in the right country, Switzerland comes to mind. There are good reasons why banks and sovereigns hold and store vast amounts of PMs in vaults...safety, collateral, diversification, protection from (and allowing) fiat debasement etc. I don't buy the argument that there isn't enough gold to go back to the sanity of a gold standard...it's at what price! Back in 2010, $7,500 an oz. would have been needed to back paper fiat but now it seems that amount of increase is needed per month! Can't have that so, demonize it and print away but meanwhile, central banks hoard it and store it? Typical do as I say, not as I do.

In the Mad Max scenario (overhyped in IMO), unless you are dirt poor with nothing, thieves will be after anything anyways (incidentally, much like now), like booze, cigarettes, drugs, food, water, transportation, slaves etc. and PMs are just part of the list (like today). Gold and silver have always been desirable as part of a system, any system.

Personally, I like quality gold producing companies, their stocks and dividends. Let them worry about the risks of holding physical. It is one of (maybe the only) stock or other (fantasy) sector that is not nose bleed overvalued and pumped full of bs and hot air. Right now quality gold producers are making massive profits and increasing their dividends at a fairly good pace. My favourite KL (Kirkland Lake) even pays a US$ denominated dividend to its Canadian listed KL holders. Extra bonus!

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

In the 90s we had a client that was buying 1000oz silver bars. He would paint them completely white and put them in his back yard as bricks around a planter box.
Sounds crazy, but no one knew what they were or even looked at them twice.

#116 3 years ago

I am beginning to feel that pinball machines are an actual hedge on par with precious metals.
They have a set price that remains solid even during periods of wild pricing.
The consistency of same or higher pricing during the last 14 Months has been remarkable, it would be interesting to see a chart detailing this period.
A desirable shopped EM has reached commodity status. An unlisted, unregulated untracked commodity.
So has the usual player-status or better fully working Bally SS machine.
Bottom line certain pinball machines can be an excellent hedge equal to gold and silver for wealth preservation.
Of course this can change at any moment.

Quoted from Coindork:

In the 90s we had a client that was buying 1000oz silver bars. He would paint them completely white and put them in his back yard as bricks around a planter box.
Sounds crazy, but no one knew what they were or even looked at them twice.

Wasn't there a true story of a Guy with a gold toilet?
In plain sight.

#117 3 years ago

While silver has been quietly creeping up to 29 spot an oz Gold jumps 30 to back over 1800.
Hard head stackers have not been swayed by ridiculous premiums over spot and continue buying what they can find.
I am curious what will happen if the Market corrects for a few days.

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I remember back on black Monday, October 19, 1987 when the stock market swanned. It was more than a market dive though, as headlines show on a Toronto Globe and Mail newspaper I saved from Tuesday, the next day. Record breaking and tense geopolitical events were taking place.

Gold and gold stocks initially got a solid lift. However, after a tense week, on the following Monday, gold and gold stocks opened higher and then took a beating. This is much in line with standard procedure today by the PPT (Plunge Protection Team or officially known as the President's Working Group on Financial Markets), that is, they physically and psychologically manipulate the broader and PM markets.

They let a kneejerk PM rise take place and then crushed sentiment immediately after. Incidentally, the PPT were formed a few months after the 1987 crash on March 18, 1988. I expect more of the 'same old' today but given time, it did not stop gold then or will not now, from its inevitable rise.

1987 Black Monday G & M (resized).JPG1987 Black Monday G & M (resized).JPG
#119 3 years ago

I am glad you recognize the PPT, many do not.
No matter how skillful the days come when they cannot manipulate and all chaos takes over for awhile.
I could care less if silver goes to 30, or 50.
When it hits 100 (and it will) then my ears perk up.

#120 3 years ago

The younger Crowd enjoys quick results, hence their preference for Crypto Vs physical metals.
The older Crowd goes by the adage "Good things come to those who wait".
The few Royal Families and Monarchs left in the World hold gold.
Many Countries have went through the repatriation process to return reserves held in foreign vaults.
JP Morgan is famous for its bullion holdings, many others less famous hold more.
There is a good reason for this.

#121 3 years ago

An important point.

Gold is a vital high tech metal because of its unique properties as a superior electrical conductor that does not corrode or tarnish (unlike copper or silver). So for important, reliable and quick electrical connections that cannot fail gold is used in communication devices, computer networks, cell phones, ABS brakes, air bags, car keys, lab and medical equipment, smoke detectors, pacemakers, satellite dishes, TVs, jet engines, fuel cells, military devices and other applications.

Interesting that in that regard cryptos require gold, however gold does not require cryptos.

Quite ironic that the vast and growing amount of electrical use and connections required for the digital and crypto worlds requires an ever increasing amount of gold! I can embrace that fact and it essentially means that high tech and cryptos are dependent on gold.

Over a ten year average, 2008 - 2017, the technology sector used an average of 9% or 384 tonnes (~12.3 million troy ounces) of annual gold supply. (source: World Gold Council)

market-structure-and-flows-1-fs2 (resized).pngmarket-structure-and-flows-1-fs2 (resized).png
#122 3 years ago
Quoted from ManyQuarters:

An important point.
Gold is a vital high tech metal because of its unique properties as a superior electrical conductor that does not corrode or tarnish (unlike copper or silver). So for important, reliable and quick electrical connections that cannot fail gold is used in communication devices, computer networks, cell phones, ABS brakes, air bags, car keys, lab and medical equipment, smoke detectors, pacemakers, satellite dishes, TVs, jet engines, fuel cells, military devices and other applications.
Interesting that in that regard cryptos require gold, however gold does not require cryptos.
Quite ironic that the vast and growing amount of electrical use and connections required for the digital and crypto worlds requires an ever increasing amount of gold! I can embrace that fact and it essentially means that high tech and cryptos are dependent on gold.
Over a ten year average, 2008 - 2017, the technology sector used an average of 9% or 384 tonnes (~12.3 million troy ounces) of annual gold supply. (source: World Gold Council)[quoted image]

Do you have a Chart that shows how much is thrown in landfills/ not recycled?
The chemical process to recover these metals can be gnarly but there are a couple of state of the art large scale facilities that make it look easy.

#123 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Do you have a Chart that shows how much is thrown in landfills/ not recycled?
The chemical process to recover these metals can be gnarly but there are a couple of state of the art large scale facilities that make it look easy.

From the slide a few comments above that states that 1 billion cell phones are manufactured each year and only 10 % are recycled (2014 data), I will extrapolate and say this is roughly true for most PM's in related tech / consumer goods, so 90% of 384 tonnes = 345.6 tonnes not recycled annually. I would also guess that virtually all satellite / military applications are close to 0 % recycled for obvious reasons.

Another interesting point from my previous comment is that the 384 tonnes or 12.3 million troy ounces of gold used annually in the technology sector is greater than the top two gold producing companies annual gold production combined, Newmont (195.7 tonnes) and Barrick (170 tonnes). Essentially, technology applications of gold require the equivalent of the top two gold producers output every year. These companies and all the gold producers struggle to replace ounces mined every year. The trend is clear behind a backdrop of diminishing large gold discoveries, that is, the producing companies are increasingly replacing lost ounces by swallowing up other gold producers, for example: Newmont buying Goldcorp in 2019.

Here is another chart from the World Gold Council that shows world gold trading patterns from global exchange markets. It is truly a staggering amount of 'gold' that is traded on average every day, 2,692.2 tonnes or $US 112.2 BILLION. That, PER DAY, is almost equivalent to annual world gold mine production. This exposes the rampant paper gold ponzi trade, mainly taking place in London and New York, and why the price of gold is manipulated. Imagine TSHTF if even a small amount was (strategically) called in and actually removed for physical possession? This IMHO shows how extremely rare and important physical gold is and the utter fragility the fake paper gold market hopes to balance on.

market-structure-and-flows-2-fs2 (resized).pngmarket-structure-and-flows-2-fs2 (resized).png
#124 3 years ago

There are those who envision one day the landfills being dug up to reclaim metals.
Thanks for the insight, a throwaway economy doesn't last forever.

#125 3 years ago

Locked in a good price on 2 gram gold bar and 1 ounce Krugerrand. Krugerrands were hot 20 years ago, not sure why they fell out of favor but always wanted one.
Now we will see what kind of delay is involved with shipping.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Locked in a good price on 2 gram gold bar and 1 ounce Krugerrand. Krugerrands were hot 20 years ago, not sure why they fell out of favor but always wanted one.
Now we will see what kind of delay is involved with shipping.

During apartheid the importation of Krugerrands was illegal due to U.S. sanctions on South Africa.
It’s lifted now, so they are easier to get.

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

During apartheid the importation of Krugerrands was illegal due to U.S. sanctions on South Africa.
It’s lifted now, so they are easier to get.

That makes sense. Do you know if the purity for the gold and silver Kruger is the same as the American Eagle?

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

That makes sense. Do you know if the purity for the gold and silver Kruger is the same as the American Eagle?

So basically all of the bullion coins like this are 1oz of gold. Doesn’t matter if it krugerrands, maple leafs, eagles etc.
I.E. the gold content is the same.
The refining methods are a little different depending on where they are minted.
A good example is the Canadian maple leaf, which prides itself on being the worlds most pure gold coin. The Canadian use electrolytic refining to get all the other trace metals out on a molecular level. The do this like 3 time to get the gold extremely pure.
It’s still one ounce of gold. It may weigh slightly less because all the other metals have been refined out of it, but it more pure at 99.999% and weighs 31.10gms.
A krugerrand is 91.67% pure and weighs 34gms. Same actual amount of gold in both, just one is refined purer than the other. Gold eagles are the same at 91.67% or 22k.

#129 3 years ago

You know your Business, thanks! My first ounce was a Maple Leaf, the owner of the Company gave all the employees one. This was around 1980, seems it had shot up but was rapidly dropping.
Once you get your first gold coin you are hooked for life.

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

There are those who envision one day the landfills being dug up to reclaim metals.
Thanks for the insight, a throwaway economy doesn't last forever.

I know it probably won’t happen in my lifetime, but I like to envision future man mining the asteroid belt between Jupiter and Mars. There’s a lot of raw material and metal just floating around out there.
Many iron/nickel asteroids contain a lot of other metals in their alloy. Some contain precious metal and other rare earth elements in the mix.
It’s interesting to think about.

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I know it probably won’t happen in my lifetime, but I like to envision future man mining the asteroid belt between Jupiter and Mars. There’s a lot of raw material and metal just floating around out there.
Many iron/nickel asteroids contain a lot of other metals in their alloy. Some contain precious metal and other rare earth elements in the mix.
It’s interesting to think about.

We have had some close calls in the past few years, it is possible one may deliver the goods directly to a neighborhood close by.
Looks like higher ten-year yields have led to a stronger dollar, tanking gold prices. Or something is "Broken" in the system as the talking finance heads keep saying.
Any other analysis/guesses?

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Looks like higher ten-year yields have led to a stronger dollar, tanking gold prices. Or something is "Broken" in the system as the talking finance heads keep saying.
Any other analysis/guesses?

I don't worry too much about the talking heads or other distractions, the trend is more than clear. For timing things I keep it simple and just keep an eye on the seasonal gold chart.

Gold vs. fiat (resized).jpgGold vs. fiat (resized).jpgSeasonal gold (resized).pngSeasonal gold (resized).png
#133 3 years ago

Older people who may have been poor at one time in their life appreciate precious metals.
These Folks were angry when they took silver out of currency in 63. There were as many
rumors and conspiracies back then about this one act as there are today concerning Fed and Bank manipulation.
It didn't help that a few years later Nixon dropped the Gold standard and rendered gold possession illegal.
This fueled a Generation that eagerly purchased silver coins directly from the US Mint when it the option became available.
All of my Uncles, poor dirt and hog farmers suddenly waiting at the mail box for their silver shipments. Soon, they all had Uncirculated in sealed plastic bags, usually with some Emblem denoting what it was on the other side.
This fit neatly in a bank-envelope usually dark blue.
Kids began to receive them as stocking stuffers, we all became aware of "Real money" Versus the other kind.
I read a comment the other day, " Old Men with their silver and guns won't survive whats coming."
You need to understand where they are coming from.

#134 3 years ago

As I understand it if gold drops below 1700 this week the next threshold is 1630. As the Stock Market trades sideways in a general downward trend gold will follow in the short term.
Of course the stimulus arrival has a lot to do with both Markets.
I don't see silver getting hit as hard percentage wise.
Not purchasing right now. Premiums are too high, waiting on availability.
A buying opportunity will result from a significant drop in price.

#135 3 years ago

Will we see sub 17 gold today?

BOOM! 1692. At least it was predictable.
1630 here we come.

#136 3 years ago

Who would you buy gold from online ?

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from Londonpinball:

Who would you buy gold from online ?

Currently APMEX, however they are delaying my purchase for 10 days. Going to research local Dealers including pawn shops.
Up until my last order APMEX was on time, description accurate and Tracking given quickly.
This last order I thought was for in stock items and wouldn't experience delays, guess they pulled one over.

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I used to keep money in my safety deposit box but found out from a teller that it was against the law? She said she didn't hear me say that when I was talking to her.

By the way why is it that I see only small amounts when the shows mine in the united states? Makes you want to go to Canada or Australia?

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I used to keep money in my safety deposit box but found out from a teller that it was against the law? She said she didn't hear me say that when I was talking to her.
By the way why is it that I see only small amounts when the shows mine in the united states? Makes you want to go to Canada or Australia?

Keeping cash in a safe deposit box is not illegal.
That’s a bank policy, not a law.

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Hard head stackers have not been swayed by ridiculous premiums over spot and continue buying what they can find.

I’ve not been on Pinside much this last week and am just seeing this. Interesting thing is gold has kept going down a bit these last ten days and is now hovering around $1,700. People always say don’t try and catch a falling knife and what not, but I never thought gold would be back in the $1,600’s again.

Those premiums over spot are simply insane and no one has any inventory anyway right now. How can gold be dropping like it is and no one have any of the really desirable stuff in stock? I tried to order some gold for a client today and no one had the Valcambi CombiBars my client wanted...no retail distributor I would trust anyway. His second choice item was in stock but not BU...

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

It’s still one ounce of gold. It may weigh slightly less because all the other metals have been refined out of it, but it more pure at 99.999% and weighs 31.10gms.

Just to confirm my understanding, the Maples are usually 999.9 parts of our 1,000 but in some years they have been as high as five 9s. I guess it’s super expensive so they only do the five 9s runs occasionally?

You may be the best person I know to ask what is going on with these premiums over spot now? They have blasted off into the stratosphere. Has this been the case for some time? Premiums over spot for gold were under $70 per ounce a few years ago. The premiums on eagles and buffalos are approaching $300 an ounce now. Is Gary Stern in charge of the mint or something?

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just to confirm my understanding, the Maples are usually 999.9 parts of our 1,000 but in some years they have been as high as five 9s. I guess it’s super expensive so they only do the five 9s runs occasionally?

That I’m not sure.
My main thing is rare collector coins and I don’t don’t do a lot with bullion.
That said, I do have a pretty good general understanding of it because it relates to my business and I have a fascination with different minting and refining processes and how coins are made.
Here’s a pretty good video that explains how the Canadian mint does it. The fascinating part is the electrolytic process they use to separate trace elements on a molecular level. Really advanced stuff that didn’t exist with refining a century or so ago. In past times they simply could not get metal this pure.

Regarding premiums, it’s just a sign of the times. More demand and less supply means higher premiums.
A bunch of the normal supply chains are cut off or disrupted due to Covid etc.
A great example would be generic U.S. gold. A lot of double eagles and things like that come out of European banks.
There’s a ton of it over there for various reasons. Mainly because there was a time when the U.S. was paying its foreign debt in gold coins (and it’s still sitting over there in that form). but also because when the government recalled all the gold, many people that had it put in in banks overseas.
Anyhow, that entire supply line is disrupted due to the pandemic and premiums on generic gold has risen significantly.
Basic supply and demand.

#143 3 years ago

Just an update.
Small order from APMEX Feb.25th
Shipping date given as March 5
March 5 they changed my shipping date to March 3?
When a Company that was promoted as "The Best" for precious metals starts pulling crap like this they get a
APMEX NOT RECOMMENDED.
I could understand if it was a large order, given current conditions.
But my items were listed as IN STOCK, not "Pending or pre-order"
They still flood my e-mail with "Just arrived" offers everyday. Going to find another supplier.
Won't be using APMEX in the future, not recommended.

#144 3 years ago

Update. I tried a live chat on the APMEX site but gave up after 30 minutes.
So I called and got the most pleasant sounding Rep. She looked it up and said there was no reason for this to be held up.
Also said everyone was just trying to get caught up so give it a couple more days.
I said thanks and thought, whatever they are paying you isn't enough, lets get married, now.

Precious metals suppliers have it rough right now, give them a break.

#145 3 years ago

Apmex shipped today. Just to let you know what you can possibly expect if you place an order. I pay with a debit card so it may be quicker if you pay another way or have a larger order..
Precious metals are a lot like pinball machines, when you do your research you find what is "Best and worst".
Right now 1/4 and 1/2 ounce gold American Eagles coins are hot despite the high premium.
American Silver Eagles have a high premium, are the most desirable to many people, easiest to sell.
Canadian Maple leafs both gold and silver are second and the premium a little lower.
Britannias are the most attractive, a little harder to get.
Krugerrand seems to have lost its luster a little. Deals can be had on the silver but the gold is as desirable as ever.
1 oz sliver bars are a great commodity, if from a reputable Supplier you will always get spot price if you decide to sale, perhaps a little more.
Worst? Huge 1000 oz silver bars, or larger.
Tiny 1000th of an ounce gold bars.
Gold foil "Bucks".
Non Assay gram gold.

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Britannias are the most attractive, a little harder to get.

Currently my favorite coin. Best security features available, lower premium over spot than the eagle, Buffalo, or maple leaf, great design, backed by England and IRA qualified.

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Currently my favorite coin. Best security features available, lower premium over spot than the eagle, Buffalo, or maple leaf, great design, backed by England and IRA qualified.

My next oz purchase.. Heard (Coindork could verify) that the security background pattern is lazer etched.

Sticking to fractional gold right now, despite the higher premiums I can budget Monthly purchases.

#148 3 years ago

I've become bearish on silver and bullish on gold.
Bigger investment with perceived smaller rewards with gold ,if you value physical weight.
Gold seems eternal, silver industrial. The potential for upside short term profits is with silver.
Gold is a long game, but a solid one.
People are buying gold quietly while silver harkers shout from the rooftops.
Silver will remain a Player no matter what happens. There is an underground economy that recognizes silver.

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I've become bearish on silver and bullish on gold.
Bigger investment with perceived smaller rewards with gold ,if you value physical weight.
Gold seems eternal, silver industrial. The potential for upside short term profits is with silver.
Gold is a long game, but a solid one.
People are buying gold quietly while silver harkers shout from the rooftops.
Silver will remain a Player no matter what happens. There is an underground economy that recognizes silver.

I agree. Silver is nice but gold concentrates more value.

This of course seems obvious but what really brought the point home for me was, back a few years ago, a vendor showed me a 10 ounce bar of silver, about the size of a smart phone, then worth $250. He then pointed to a 1/4 ounce gold coin, slightly larger than a dime but worth over $400.

He went on to say, "A silver dollar might buy you a beer and a burger but a dime sized gold coin will buy you a bottle of Jack and groceries for a month."

This kind of reminds me of some prices in the old west boom towns of the 1880's and 90's. A 'dance' with a lady was 50 cents but a shot of whiskey was a dollar. Humm...today something doesn't seem quite right! By my figuring...well, a silver dollar won't get you jack but a small gold coin will get you 'way' laid!

#150 3 years ago

If inflation rears its ugly head too bad all bets are off.
Stackers think they are going to sit back, watch the dollar sink and enjoy an underground economy.
Just like Bitcoin, if the manipulation of gold and silver prices fail, so does everything else.
All are related to the dollar.
Its a given any and all assets will be controlled, and taxed.
Gold and silver collections are "Feel good" movements in many ways removed from reality.

There are 668 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/precious-metals-gold-silver-and-everything-else/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.