Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 311 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

just-had-a-xray-done-on-my-knee-to-see-18260566 (resized).png
    Resized_20180909_202231 (resized).jpg
    scar (resized).jpg
    IMG_0655 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5942 (resized).JPG
    Untitled (resized).jpg
    20160728_004849_(resized).jpg
    making-friends_(resized).jpg
    944841_10207026535636791_4963489731621511887_n_(resized).jpg
    IMG_30951_(resized).jpg
    IMG_30741_(resized).jpg
    IMG_30701_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3060_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3058_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3054_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3051_(resized).JPG
    There are 311 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 8 years ago

excellent news Geoff ! Thanks for the updates following closely with prayers going out for full recovery!

#52 8 years ago

Sunday update from Geoff:

--------------------------------------

Today Mike remains in critical but stable condition in the ICU (11 days).

Mike is still waking up, he was very tired today.

He did not get a full spectrum of PT.

He did make an OK symbol with is fingers on the bed for the nurse.

His Mom was with him most of the day.

They began a steroid treatment last night to help with the swelling on the brain.

As it is approaching 10 days post surgery it is nearing the time the time for the tube in his brain to be removed.

The longer it takes, the greater chance of an infection, so they want to get that out – but balance that against the risk of swelling.

He is tracking people as they enter the room, his is alert and conscious and aware of his surroundings.

The staff would like him to be speaking more, but he is mouthing and whispering but it is very quiet.

He is making slow progress, he is very tired and needs time to heal.

He indicates he is not in any pain, but he does seem frustrated when he cannot accomplish some fine motor function tasks, but that comes with time.

The regular Dr’s will be back tomorrow and hopefully we can get some more details about his condition and prognosis.

Please continue to pray for Mike.

We all want to help him and protect him, and have him heal faster.

Good Evening to You All:

Geoff

#53 8 years ago

Monday update from Geoff:

0----------------------------------------

His BP was 117 / 62 very good, but controlled with medicine.

Pulse was 82 – good

The ICP was not readable because the tubes in his skull have become plugged, not great but not really bad.

He had a CAT scan today, to check the swelling and the tubes.

The care team started him on steroids yesterday, to expedite the reduction of swelling to get the tubes out, so this is part of the process.

The tubes will need to come out sooner rather than later, hopefully before any kind of infection sets in.

He was resting with his eyes closed when I walked it, he woke up when he heard me talking to Evelyn.

I brought Mike up to speed on Donald Trump.

He is not in pain, shakes his head no.

He knows who I am, slow nodding of head, no speech today, could move his lips but very quiet whisper.

He was able to give me a thumbs up, with both hands on the bed and move his forearms more than I had previously seen.

His legs were active, he has the best looking feet on the ICU according to the PT guy, Ev lotions them daily.

He remembers hanging out at Robert the Vets house with Kevin (short term memory) and was teary when he heard of all the people asking about him.

I asked if he wanted visitors and he indicated no, Evelyn also agreed, so all please be patient.

His Mom put his glasses on and he seemed to focus better.

We told him his care plan was “bedrest”, written on the board, we laughed, he didn’t.

He managed a wan smile (partial) a couple time, it was balanced, no sign of droop.

He is tired and needs to rest, I know you’ve all heard it before.

He was grateful to hear of the support his family.

He needs to hear your prayers and well wishes, it helps!

Hope you all have a good day, I did.

Geoff

#54 8 years ago

Geoff I don't mean to pry, we Canadians take it for granted because it's all paid with our National Health Care but I'm sure Mike's bill is going to tally up eventually and was wondering if there was a plan of some sort to raise funds?

#55 8 years ago

In America, you get to keep your job for 12 weeks after a non work related medical condition because of the Family and Medical Leave Act that Bill Clinton got passed into law. You won't get paid, but at least you still have health insurance.

But after that, you have to start paying for your medical insurance yourself, let alone whatever co-pay you would be libel for even when you were insured by your company (commonly the ratio is 20% on you, 80% on your insurance company).

Being in an ICU is about $6,000 a day, so Mike's share might be ~$1,200 per day even while his insurance is still in effect.

That's just for the ICU room, you can imagine what the brain surgery itself will cost him (20% of $75,000 to $150,000).

There has been talk of a GoFundMe to try and raise some much needed cash for Mike.

#56 8 years ago

A pretty good sounding day today:

==========================

Mike got to visit with all three of his kids simultaneously today, they were there for a couple hours.

He was very happy throughout the visit and smiled often and tried to engage with them.

This took a toll on him physically and he was tired by the time I got to visit.

When I walked in the room, he tracked me and closed his eyes to rest (passed out with excitement) so I didn’t get to spend any time talking to him this evening.

-
    The tubes were removed this morning and the plan was to move him from the ICU to a step down unit. (Thumbs Up)

Unfortunately the A-fib, that I had highlighted before last week kept him in the ICU.

His heartrate was not within a comfortable range that would allow him to be moved at this time.

He resumed IV medicine for the A-Fib and they will be making adjustments so that he can be transferred to a floor and continue healing.

-

When Mike was asleep, I did notice a significant improvement in his range of motion while he was sleeping.

His left arm lifted completely off the bed.

He was turning his head from side to side in a much stronger manner.

His hips, legs, knees and feet were all moving, which I took to be very positive signs of returning strength.

Yet to be determined is the amount of control and fine motor skills, which will come with time, care and hard work.

Mike is making progress, he will continue to improve from his current condition and we all hope and pray for the maximum recovery possible.

#57 8 years ago

Everyone:

Flashinstinct has generously offered to donate all the funds from his decal sales to Mike Bodak this Christmas!

I have some of Flash's decals and they of superior quality.

Thanks so much!

If anyone is restoring a game, and needs some excellent decals, here is your chance to help out Mike and your game at the same time:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mike-bodaks-azmodeus-help-fund-page

#58 8 years ago

Now RDVD has donated a Heavy Metal Meltdown pin to Mike's cause !!!!

Totally cool move (and a totally cool pin)!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mike-bodaks-azmodeus-help-fund-page

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Being in an ICU is about $6,000 a day, so Mike's share might be ~$1,200 per day even while his insurance is still in effect.
    That's just for the ICU room, you can imagine what the brain surgery itself will cost him (20% of $75,000 to $150,000).

Surely he's hit his policy's max out of pocket limit? After that everything's covered, unless I grossly misunderstand the concept.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Surely he's hit his policy's max out of pocket limit? After that everything's covered, unless I grossly misunderstand the concept.

Every policy is different.

They all sound good until you actually spend some time in the hospital and then find out all the things that are not covered, or require co-pays, or you hit the policy's coverage limit (one surgery can hit the coverage limit), or find that only certain tests are covered, or that you only get one MRI covered a year (and you just had 6), or........

The NUMBER ONE reason for bankruptcy is the USA is not a bad mortgage, or credit card debt, or failed business - it's a stay in the hospital.

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The NUMBER ONE reason for bankruptcy is the USA is not a bad mortgage, or credit card debt, or failed business - it's a stay in the hospital.

...and that's pathetic!

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

...and that's pathetic!

I know it.

People in other countries always ask me how the USA employers got saddled with providing the nation's health care.

#63 8 years ago

In the USA they'll work you to death and then take everything you've got when you get sick.

#64 8 years ago

Thursday update from Geoff

-------------------------------------------
    Got to spend some time with Mike tonight.

His BP was better than mine, his body temp was good, blood sugar good, pulse good.

Big difference over yesterday

We talked about a lot of stuff.

He was able to give me hand signals and we did a poor job of charades, I’m not good at it.

He was able to tap out some numerical sequences for me to give me some information.

Mike most enjoyed hearing about the debate on last night and Donald Trump.

He almost laughed, kinda snorted about the exchange with Bush, if any of you saw it.

He seemed surprised the Star Wars release was this week, he didn’t remember the San Bernadino incident.

I kept asking him if he was ok and wanted to talk about more stuff and he said yes, his BP, pulse and vitals were steady on the monitor so we plunged on.

We talked about bills, a kickstarter and visitors.

He indicated he was not ready to have anyone in to see him yet until he feels stronger, he was able to decide for himself, I asked him a couple different ways.

He is not in pain, but does have a headache.

He really appreciated hearing all the well wishes and some e-mails that I read to him.

He knew his Mom had been visiting, he seemed sad that she had to leave, she flew out this morning.

I promised him we would bring her back when he was ready.

He did have PT this morning while Evelyn was there and they had him standing up, with support.

All in all a good day.

Please keep the prayers, e-mails and FB posts coming.

He has hope and will continue to try based on what he did today

Geoff

#65 8 years ago

Great news!

#66 8 years ago

Truly all the best.....This scares the crap out of me, as Ive had dozens of mini strokes recently, and could not get the testing I needed done.....truly a mess....Prayers...it looks like good news going forward.

#67 8 years ago

Your a good friend Vid. We should all have someone like you in our corner.

#68 8 years ago

VERY good news from Geoff:

----------------------------------------

Our friend Mike has been moved from ICU !

He is on a regular floor in the hospital.

He is not ready to receive visitors yet.

He is down to a liquid diet and a single IV.

He is off all major forms of monitoring and is receiving “normal” hospital care.

He does have a caretaker / sitter with him just to be sure he remains stable.

Mike had PT this morning, they got him standing, well supported and he took a few shuffling steps, progress.

I know many of you want to see him and visit, please continue to respect the families, and his wishes.

Mike wants to be stronger and progress before seeing anyone.

Mike was completely asleep and wouldn’t awaken when I was there.

As of this date / time, we do not know how long he will be in this room, where is going next.

The choices are local rehab, acute care, sub-acute care or long term care.

-

Have a blessed evening
    Geoff

#69 8 years ago

Awesome

#70 8 years ago

SWEET! I like how good he's doing, get that strength back Mike.

Steve

#71 8 years ago

Atta boy Mike! We'll get a shallow pitched EM into therapy for you. Start off slow.

#72 8 years ago

Latest Geoff update:

--------------------------------

Another good day with some progress to report.

Mike is in a regular room, he is off all the heavy duty monitoring.

BP, Body Temp, Pulse etc all within good ranges.

He had Occupational therapy (Waist to below neck) before I go there this morning.

He “washed his face” with assistance and showed other small signs of progress and slightly improved dexterity.

Mike was asleep when I got there.

He woke up and we had a good visit.

We communicate mostly by face expression and knods, finger taps and stuff like that

He is making an effort to speak, but just a whisper, it tires him quickly.

Mike is a little confused sometimes but he knows where he is and why his is there, he lost about a week in his mind that I can assess.

He did some basic arithmetic, he corrected me when I made some factual errors (on purpose).

Read to him some emails and texts.

He can receive cards etc, but no visitors, he was clear about that himself

The PT therapist showed up and he got a good workout, was able to sit on the bed for over a minute unsupported.

He was stood up and held onto the walker.

He got back on the bed and comfortable.

Evelyn showed up.

So did the Speech Therapist.

Mike was able to wallow ice chips and drank some water, took a few bites of yogurt and tried ice cream.

He even tolerated a few pieces of banana.

They are going to try him on some finely chopped hospital food tomorrow.

That’s the path to getting the g-tube out of his stomach when he can eat enough calories.

He still needs assistance to eat, but can chew and swallow.

He wanted to listen to a specific song, and he asked for a book on tape, so we’ll make arrangements for that.

That exertion really tired Mike out.

He headed back to the bat cave.

He will be in the hospital for a few more days to be assessed to see where he is going next.

#73 8 years ago

========================================

Today was a steady day.

Mike had PT in the morning and got to sit in a regular chair for a short bit.

His vitals all stable now and have been for a few days running.

We communicated back and forth a bit about current events.

He’s interested in the presidential debates and run up to the vote.

He raised his right hand and took his glasses off and rubbed his eyes and put them back on.

It was interesting to watch as he did it slowly, but very deliberately, almost as if it was subconscious action.

He is eating finely chopped food.

Once he can get his caloric count up orally, the g-tube will come out.

I asked again about visitors and he said he wasn’t ready.

I read the daily e-mails to him and he enjoyed them.

My family and I are travelling to England to visit family, so there will be no update tomorrow

1 week later
    #74 8 years ago

Just read this thread today. Any new info?

Mike's in my prayers.

#75 8 years ago

Geoff is back from England with update:

---------------------------------------------------

Returned from England late last night, my apologies for not being able to communicate more updates while overseas.

However, as sometimes happen in life, unforeseen events take place that are outside of our control.

-

Saw Mike this morning from 10 til 1230ish.

He has a full beard and has definitely lost weight since I was last with him.

He is still in Saddleback Memorial Hospital in Room 321B.

Mike was asleep when I got there and I tried to wake him up, but he was out cold.

I saw on his care board that he was scheduled for PT at 11 so I hung out and was in the room when the nurse came in to check on him before that.

His BP is still not under control, it is too low, he is getting medication for it, he has an infection and is getting antibiotics, his blood sugar is still high.

He still has the tube feeding him and they have been trying to introduce solid food, but it is a slow process.

He is on dietary restrictions, no carbs and is tolerating some solid food.

-

The PT was hard, he had to do some bed pull ups, trying to lift his back off the mattress about 1-3 inches.

After 5 he was spent.

He got assistance to sit up and move to a wheelchair, he was able to sit for a couple minutes.

Mike was rolled out into the hall and stood behind a walker, with a lot of support he made it to the end of the hall.

His vitals were taken at the end of the hall and they had come up, but were not too high.

That walk was a new record for him according to the PT guy.

Mike wanted to quit, but he was pushed into making the return trip, which he did.

It was hard but he made it.

He wants to get out of the hospital.

-

He has OT in the morning, PT mid-day (11ish) and Speech after lunch (1400ish).

-

He was obviously tiring, but we got to talk, he can really only whisper a few words at a time, so it was hard for him.

Mike wants to get better, it is very hard for him, confusing and a struggle.

He remembers some things and forgets others.

Sometimes he says yes he remembers – but when pressed admits he forgets the details.

He seems “all there” sometimes and then quickly falls asleep and wakes up, not remembering what he just said.

He remembers other things, places and people just fine.

At least for me it is still an evaluative process, there’s a lot that needs to get done to get him to be self-sufficient.

I believe he will get better, but after the last 10 days, I am as confused as ever as to what “better” is going to be.

-

Mike is still in the hospital because of the low BP, infection and blood sugar issue(s).

Once those are “under control” he is going to be moved.

When and Where are still unknown.

It has been 29 days since he has been admitted to the hospital after the stroke.

-

Please continue to pray for Mike.

Will provide another update tomorrow.

I wish you all a Happy New Years Eve and a Prosperous 2016.

#76 8 years ago

Heres to a speedy recovery and great 2016!

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I wish you all a Happy New Years Eve and a Prosperous 2016.

To you in return, and especially to Mike.

#78 8 years ago

As a Physician I am optimistic that Mike's condition will improve, especially with continued proper medical care and PT.

Currently, all three acute medical issues should be fairly easy to address with appropriate medications and monitoring (if the proper diagnosis was made in the first place; eg.-the bacterial infection(s) has/have been identified and the proper antibiotic has been chosen based on the isolated organism(s) and antibiotic susceptibility testing).

Once the acute issues have been solved, Mike's underlying condition, which most likely caused the major medical issue in the first place (?), needs to be addressed, as well as his continued PT. In proper hands, I have no doubt he will get better. Especially with his strong will and great family and friends.

#79 8 years ago

Jan 2 update from Geoff:

--------------------------------

Hope You All had A Happy New Year

-

Mike is still in room 321B in Saddleback Hospital.

It would be great if he could get some visitors, I know that some of you have already visited, but it would be good for Mike to have more of you visit.

He gets Occupational Therapy in the morning and Physical Therapy mid-morning and speech in the early afternoon.

Tomorrow, I will be there around 1030 to noon, M-Fri, I am trying to shoot for 530-630PM, please feel free to join me or go on your own.

My cell phone number is 949-235-xxxx if you want to call or text. (PM me (Vid) if you need Geoff's number or email, obviously I'm not going to post it on public forum)
    -

Mike is eating solid food, but his blood sugar is still high so he has to avoid carbs and sweets.

His blood pressure was better today but they are still adjusting his meds, trying to find the sweet spot.

-

Today PT was bed pull ups.

After that it was wheel chair exercises and navigation.

After that it was walker practice.

-

He seemed to be more aware of his circumstances and overall condition today.

As a result, there may be a need to put together a working party for next Saturday to begin moving personal effects from his apartment.

Mike realizes his lease is up in May and it is likely he will not be going back there by that date.

If you are available to help move and have any small tools, dolleys, blankets boxes, tape, etc, please let me know.

There are some prority items that need to get moved and I’d appreciate any help you all can offer.

I will adjust the plan and goals once I know what resources are available.

I will communicate throughout the week as to what needs to get done.

-

I hope you all have a blessed day

Thanks

Geoff

#80 8 years ago

Jan 3rd update from Geoff

-------------------------------------------------------

Really only managed a short visit with Mike today, he is still in hospital.

-

Saddleback Memorial Medical Center

24451 Health Center Dr, Laguna Hills, CA 92653

Room 321B

-

Please keep in mind, that Mike is on a controlled diet, he is not supposed to eat sugary sweet stuff.

A tasty healthy snack would be better for him considering his dietary restrictions.

Try to stay away from junk foods and carbohydrates.

-

As I mentioned above, he was very tired.

He had quite a few visitors over the last couple days, which I know he appreciated.

If you get to visit Mike, and haven’t yet, please try to keep the visits to 30 -45 mins.

-

Mike has a full beard now and is thinking about shaving it off.

His goals are more independence and to get out of the hospital.

He also wants to take a shower.

-

To those of you that volunteered to help move items from his apartment, thanks, I will pass along details as the week progresses.

Most likely this first move will be to get the (4) pinball machines out as well as comics and books.

The second part of the day will be to get stuff boxed and the next Saturday will hopefully will be the big move.

I think doing it in stages makes the most sense for reasons I cannot put in e-mail.

We will need more boxes, tape and bubble wrap based on responses so far.

We are set for tools, dollies and trucks.

-

Please pray for Evelyn, her Mom, Dad and Sister were involved in a car accident the other day and she is under a great deal of stress.

Please pray for Michael, Matthew and Madison, they need your support.

Mike appreciates, the visits, thoughts and prayers.

Have a great evening

Geoff

#81 8 years ago

Sam_(resized).jpgSam_(resized).jpg

#82 8 years ago

Speedy recovery Mike!!!! Get out of there ASAP an back home!. Unfortunately I am all too familiar with Strokes. My Dad had three in his lifetime. It's extremely difficult for the family members and it does take it toll. Life is going to change a bit for him and his family but with lots of PT and strong will..it is amazing how one can bounce back..From everything I have read about him..it sounds like he is strong and willing. I am praying for him and his family at this tough time.
    Get home soon man!

#83 8 years ago

A couple of you guys emailed me; yes that is Sam Harvey and Mike.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Mike has a full beard now and is thinking about shaving it off.

Got to see a photo of the beard yesterday, full is right!

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Got to see a photo of the beard yesterday, full is right!

He should keep it, makes him look much more dangerous.

#86 8 years ago

Update from Geoff.

Everyone, go visit Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

===================================

Just wanted to let you all know that Mike has been moved from Saddleback Memorial Hospital.

I was as surprised as anyone and learned of this late yesterday afternoon.

He has been relocated to a reputable and well regarded Acute Care Facility, where is expected to undergo rigorous therapy, multiple times per day, for the next two weeks (hopefully more).

-

Due to the nature of Mike’s condition (physical and mental), the curriculum and the facilities policies, visitation is strictly controlled and limited.

Unfortunately, unlike the hospital, not everyone or anyone can visit at anytime, a password is required to visit.

It has been explained to Evelyn and I that this period of recovery for Mike is going to be extremely intense, tiring and strenuous both emotionally, intellectually and physically.

Evelyn had to provide a list of authorized persons that will be able to visit him, this list can be amended and added to based on his ability to withstand the workload.

Most that visited are already on the list, those that want to visit and that can schedule in advance will certainly be added also.

DO NOT be dissuaded or discouraged, he needs as much as he can take.

I hope you all will understand, those of you that were able to visit Mike in the hospital, I know he appreciated very much, also the cards and flowers and gifts.

-

Please do not misinterpret the above to mean that Mike cannot have, nor does not want visitors, he absolutely does.

It is very important that Mike continue to have visitors and he continues to receive stimulation from friends and family.

It is simply that in this care facility it has to be more controlled, the visiting hours are far more structured and limited.

There are 100+ people on this list and sometimes Mike had more than one group show up at the hospital, which is great, but not optimal in the new setting.

He will continue to read / hear every prayer, e-mail, text of encouragement and support to him.

-

Based solely what is known from discharge from the hospital last night to his admittance to the new ACF, he should be there for at least two weeks.

If he continues to progress then he “may” be able to stay longer.

As his progress is assessed and adjusted by his care team, visitation will also be adjusted, the team fully recognizes the vital importance of visitors to add to his well being.

Stay in touch.

This is very difficult to convey in writing, so if you have any confusion or require clarification, please e-mail, call or text.

The first couple days are going to require the most patience from all you, his cherished and valued friends.

PLEASE DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED by the content of this e-mail, he is in a great place and is going to need your help and support.

Geoff

#87 8 years ago

Jan 11th update from Geoff

-----------------------------------------

Mike is well settled into the new Acute Care Facility.

The first couple days were a difficult adjustment, but now he has a much better understanding of where he is and what he is doing there.

If the schedule is upheld he will be at this facility for about another week, if he continues to show progress, the care team may advocate for a little more time.

The longer he can stay and improve, the better it will be for him log term.

-

He has a positive attitude about his recovery process.

He understands where he is and what he needs to do.

Mike still is having trouble eating solid food and has lost a lot of weight, but it is being monitored.

He gets headaches occasionally and still gets a little confused, sometimes, but he is definitely making progress

-

Thank You to all of you that have been to visit Mike.

Considering the limitations imposed by the facility and the program he has had a good stream of diverse folks that have been able to go.

Please let me know when you would like to go , or go again and we’ll work on that, the later evening after 7PM are the most open currently.

-

A very special thanks to the team that helped clear out his apartment on Saturday.

That was a great show of love and support for Mike, I know he appreciates it very much.

We will have to have one more working party day on Saturday the 23rd to get the boxed items out of the garage and into storage.

Please let me know who is available, will target 1000AM to 2PM, but fully expect we will be done faster than that.

-

Next steps for Mike are to continue the rigorous PT, OT and Speech therapy at the current facility.

Evelyn and Mike have decided on a(n) assisted care facility / house / home in Mission Viejo that Mike will be moving to next.

The house is run by a very nice couple and has three other guests in the home.

He will be in a semi-private room on the lower floor.

This will be where Mike stays for the foreseeable future in terms of months as he continues to gain strength and independence.

This is when Mike is going to need the most help and support as far as transportation to appointments and visitation.--

-

Again, please keep Mike in your thoughts and prayers.

Visitation is greatly anticipated and appreciated.

Geoff

#88 8 years ago

Thanks for continuing to post these vid.

1 week later
    #89 8 years ago

Geoff Lee here ([email protected])
    Anyone who would like to be added to the e-mail updates regarding Mike Bodak, please feel free to e-mail me.
    I have enjoyed reviewing and reading the posts, I just learned of its existence.
    Thanks to all of you that have helped with Mike so far!

#90 8 years ago

Some good news from Geoff today:

==============================

It has been a grueling week for our friend Mike.

-

He has been undergoing 3 to 4 hours of therapy a day since his relocation to the Acute Rehabilitation Facility.

Progress is slow and frustrating, he maintains his cheerful attitude and positive outlook regarding his condition and his future.

He continues to care for others as much as himself and has become popular with the Care Team and Staff, quite shocking I know.

-

Mike still has a feeding tube in his stomach to ensure he is getting sufficient calories to maintain the physical aspects and need for energy of his OT and PT.

Unfortunately, he is still prone to vertigo, dizziness and has difficulty keeping solid foods down.

This has delayed the care teams decision to remove his feeding tube, which in turn has created an issue wherein he is not able to go to a private home for additional recuperation.

It creates a circumstance where he may have to go to a SNF (SNIFF) Skilled Nursing Facility for intermediate recuperation, which could slow recovery in the short term, until he can eat more.

He has developed type (2) diabetes and is receiving training, care and treatment.

Blood pressure is under control and stable.

No issues with recurrence of any forms of asthma.

-

The timeline for his discharge from ARU was for two weeks, which would have been today.

He is undergoing additional tests under the care of a specialist and is most likely going to get a couple more days in the ARU, which is good.

-

Speech is much improved.

Mike can speak clearly and has full faculty of his vocabulary.

He is able to carry on a full conversation and we had a nice chat on the phone with his Mom, in Michigan last night.

If you would like to talk to Mike, if you are from a distant land or State, please contact me and I will help set something up.

-

Long term memory is largely intact (99%).

He remembers almost everything on every subject we have covered since he has been in the ARU.

Mike does tend to digress and skip subjects a little (pretty normal for Mike -vid), but the speech therapists indicate this is perfectly normal and should regulate as he continues to retrain his mind.

-

Short term memory still has some bumps and bruises.

He still needs a lot of care, patience and understanding.

Mike has not come to terms, nor is he completely aware and cognizant of the ordeal that he has gone through, but he is positive and will continue to make progress.

-

During the week, Mike decided to get up and walk to the bathroom – unfortunately he didn’t make it and had a fall.

No injury, but he did receive a fairly intense and humbling reprimand from the Nursing Staff and promised not to try again, this he remembers.

In physical therapy, he is making progress, far from dancing a jig, but continuing to get a couple more feet each week.

Again, he is committed to getting better, he needs prayer, encouragement and support.

-

Visitation has been regular, thanks to all of you, he has at least (2) scheduled visits every day and I know he enjoys them.

I know he looks forward to them every day.

Please keep it up.

He should be in the current facility until the end of this week and once the next location is determined, based on feeding / eating needs, will communicate any changes to visitation.

-

Current and ongoing needs:

Prayer

Working Party for Saturday the 23rd from 1000AM to 1400 (2PM) – 4 hours Max.

- We have to vacuum, dust, clean and present for final inspection his apartment.

o Everything regarding supplies is onsite, need labor, please

- He needs to be completely moved out by Jan 31st and this is the last chance.

o So far, I only have (1) family of (3) persons committed, really need more help, please!

- Furniture will be moved from garage to POD for longer term storage.

- Need location or ideas on where to store his car.

Visitation

- Needs to continue, please contact me for schedule, times and dates.

- Food, He is asking for soft peanut butter cookies.

Support at the next facility

- TBD

Finances

- Everybody’s favorite subject.

- Still awaiting permission to run a Kickstarter or crowd funding campaign of some sort.

- Insurance / Employer stable, Mike works for a great company, with great people and his needs are currently being met.

- Apartment / Lease Co. wonderful caring staff and was able to get Mike out without penalty early.

-

Additional thanks to those in the Pinball Community that have rallied behind Mike on the Pinsde Forums.

Thanks to those that participated in and contributed to the Community Fundraiser on that industry site.

-

Arcade EXPO in Banning was also rewarding to hear from all of you that I got to speak with regarding Mike and his condition.

He sends his best to all of you!

As Do I,

Geoff

#91 8 years ago

Today I got a phone call from Mike himself!

Mike Bodak: Hey, It's Mike.
    Vid: Holy shiite!
    M: I had a stroke. I mean a REAL stroke, like with brain surgery and everything!
    V: I know. Man, it's damn good to hear your voice.
    M: Yeah, everything good you hear about strokes is overrated. Do not have one.
    V: So many of us have been praying for you. For a while there, I honestly though you may have checked-out.
    M: You've got to check out this giant dent in my head! It's serious.

gogar-speaks_(resized).jpggogar-speaks_(resized).jpg

So, yeah. I think we might just get our Mike Bodak back.

#92 8 years ago

Update from Geoff:

========================================================

Happy Wednesday Everybody:

Sorry for the mid-week e-mail on the update from Mike, had “other stuff” going on and all is well.

Mike is settled in at the new Sub-Acute Facility.

He was moved in one week ago and I can’t believe how fast the time flies on the outside, in our world.

The facility is still located in Orange County but is further away from the hospital(s) he has been in previously.

The facility is a little dated and not of the same caliber as the ultra-modern hospitals Mike was in previously and he is taking some time to adjust.

To all of you that helped move the rest of his stuff last weekend, he sends a BIG THANKS.

All of his effects are safely in storage, and he can save some money from rent towards the inevitable expenses heading his way.

He mostly understands his situation and has to face some hard decisions about pinball machines, his car and other effects based on his improvement and condition.

He is coming to terms with his condition and prognosis, what I am specifically referring to are the unknowns of long term recovery and his ability to cope independently.

This is still to be determined, it is difficult to come to terms with due to the impact on his short term memory and ability to cognitively plan for the future in a sense of time.

-

Mike’s speech is basically completely normal now, he has spoken on the phone to his Mom and a few people this week.

He does not have a phone, nor does he have the fine motor skill and dexterity to operate one at this time, we are hopeful that will return with therapy, practice and time.

-

His Long Term memory is very stable and he can recall events, people and memories from all parts of his life.

Short Term Memory is still an area that needs to be improved, however, it is VERY COMMON with patients that have experienced strokes and brain injury.

In conversations with Mike he does get distracted / disoriented and forgets where he is and has some difficulty maintain a linear conversation.

Time orientation and location are difficult for him in this phase of his recovery.

-

The most concerning issue in the short term, at least to me, (I am not a medical professional) is the inability to keep food down.

He still has the g-tube and has lost considerable weight.

In order to move from this facility he needs at least two weeks of keeping regular food down, the current record is (2) days, that was last week.

I stopped by to see him last night and brought Pizza Port Pizza for him, he kept it down for about 45 minutes, nothing has seemed to work to subdue the nausea and inability to keep food down, yet.

His regular requests include In-N-Out Hamburgers, Peanut Butter Cookies (soft), Brownies and Pizza.

Medication does not seem to be working, so he gets food supplements at night via the tube.

-

Physical therapy is ongoing, though not at the same pace as in the previous care facilities.

His is getting Physical, Occupational and Speech therapy at least once per day (M to F).

I have not seen him walk, or sit in a chair recently, he has spent a lot more time in bed.

Based on (my own) personal observations at this time, a laptop and iPad would be difficult for him to use and hopefully he will improve in the near time to use independently.

-

He has had a haircut, looks good, and is keeping the full beard (at least for now)

-

THANK YOU to all that have gone to visit Mike at the new facility and for sharing your experiences.

This week, Thursday is open, tomorrow.

-

Reminder - Visitation is welcome, for M-F, please let me know and I will coordinate.

Phone Calls, same thing, I am visiting Mike Tuesday and Friday this week, if you have an iphone or ipad, maybe I get face time up and running

Weekend visitation is unscheduled and open from 1000AM to 8PM

-

Please feel free to contact me, phone, text or e-mail.

Please continue to keep Mike and His Family in Your thoughts and Prayers

-

Have an Amazing Week
    Geoff

#93 8 years ago

Lord_of_all_Pins finally took a pic of the Wolf-Mike.

He said he visited him for 3 hours today, and that he is not getting enough visitors.

Mike can fully talk now, but does not have the motor skills to dial a phone.

C'mon Orange County Pinheads, your prayers brought Mike back, do not abandon him now!

mike_(resized).jpgmike_(resized).jpg

#94 8 years ago

Go visit Mike
    Sunday and Saturday 10-8

-edit: we have been asked to remove the address, please contact Geoff or Vid if you want to visit -

#95 8 years ago

I love this man!
    Not sure about the beard though

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#96 8 years ago

Hi Everyone
    I managed to get in to visit Mike on Sunday night for about 2 hours. More about “managing” to get in to see Mike below. The good news is that he was doing a lot better than when I had seen him the week between Xmas and NYE. His nervous tick was mostly gone. He has full motion in his hands and legs. I’m pretty sure he can use a phone, ipad or playstation. If it was me, I’d get them for him asap as I feel like they would be invaluable to his recovery. As he can use a walker and his hands, I also felt a pinball machine would be amazing for him as well and help strengthen his legs and brain at the same time.

As you may know, he is still having a hard time keeping food down and was asking for hamburgers. He seems to remember anything from before the stroke. Anything after the stroke seems to be up for grabs.

- edited -

Thank you – in Mike Bodak’s friends I trust.

#97 8 years ago

Truly a sad situation! How can anyone override Mike's request?

#98 8 years ago

The nurse said that his wife makes decisions for him.
    Mike was really sad, I could not hold tears back. He was really confused.
    It was sad to see that.
    I am trying to get social worker involved in the facility .
    Just want the best for him and nothing else.

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Truly a sad situation! How can anyone override Mike's request?

To be honest, I'm not sure at all. If anyone knows a lawyer who can assist, I have a feeling one will be needed.

#100 8 years ago

Oh my God, have you no respect for Mike or his families privacy.
    Mike's relationships are NOT the subject for discussion or display on forums or facebook.
    Mike's condition and relations should not be the subject of open forum.
    It's great we all care about the guy but seriously stop the drama, this is not what Mike would want discussed in the pinabll community.
    It is a private matter.
    Posting his location is against the families wishes and a violation of his HIPAA rights.

There are 311 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prayers-go-out-to-azmodeus/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.