Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 311 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

just-had-a-xray-done-on-my-knee-to-see-18260566 (resized).png
    Resized_20180909_202231 (resized).jpg
    scar (resized).jpg
    IMG_0655 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5942 (resized).JPG
    Untitled (resized).jpg
    20160728_004849_(resized).jpg
    making-friends_(resized).jpg
    944841_10207026535636791_4963489731621511887_n_(resized).jpg
    IMG_30951_(resized).jpg
    IMG_30741_(resized).jpg
    IMG_30701_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3060_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3058_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3054_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3051_(resized).JPG

There are 311 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 5 years ago

Got some bad news about Mike Bodak (Azmodeus) who is big in the Orange County pinball scene.

He had emergency brain surgery yesterday and is currently in a propofol coma.

Our prayers go out to you, buddy.

Get well soon!

#2 5 years ago

Our prayers go out to you and your family Mike

#3 5 years ago

From FB post

For those of you that do not already know. I have some sad news regarding Mike Bodak. He suffered a stroke earlier this week and was admitted to the ICU at a local hospital. He underwent brain surgery on Friday, it was considered a success. He is still in the ICU in critical but stable condition. He is expected to remain in the ICU for a few more days before being released to a regular room. Mike has shown signs of progress post surgery. If you would like to be added to an e-mail update list, please IM Geoff Lee with your e-mail, it is also listed on my page in the "About" tab to contact direct. As Mike's condition improves additional updates and information regarding visitation and other important information will be shared. The family appreciates everyone's positive energy, thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

#4 5 years ago

Mike-2014.jpg

#5 5 years ago

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

#6 5 years ago

Mike and his loved ones are in my thoughts and prayers.
    LTG

#7 5 years ago

We will miss Mike today at the OC Pinball League Monthly Tournament. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Miss you buddy! Get better soon!

Tim

#8 5 years ago

Damn. Always hate to hear about this stuff happening to people.

#9 5 years ago

Prayers are with Mike and his loved ones! Get better!

#10 5 years ago

Mike-20142.jpg

#11 5 years ago

Praying for Mike. Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple years ago at PAGG, super fun guy. He would call from time to time looking for AFM parts and we would have some really nice chats. If anyone knows where we can send him a card let me know. Thanks,

[email protected]

#12 5 years ago

Here is the latest update, from Geoff who is with Mike at the hospital:

Mike remains in critical but stable condition.

He has been off the propofol for more than 24 hours, which is good.

He is off the ventilator as of this am and they are going to let him breathe in CPAP mode to allow him to gain strength on his own throughout the day, which is good.

His body temperature which started increasing last night is back down (with medication) to a more acceptable range, which is good.

He has had blood drawn and cultures taken to look for any infection, but it will be three days before they develop and will yield any result.

He has had a chest X-Ray and the results have not been discussed with Evelyn yet.

The cardiologist has been in and he continues to remain satisfied with the readings and the condition of Mike’s heart.

Physical Therapy has been by and done basic movements, but it is way too early for assessments, he has to wake up and gain strength before a plan can fully develop.

Neurologist has been in and is satisfied with the indications and condition he sees..

The main question is; “If he is not waking up, should we be concerned?”

The basic answer:

It’s too early to tell, patients respond differently, the brain is a very tricky thing, Mike is just not ready to wake up - it is not overly concerning (to the Neuro) at this time and the rest of his body is doing well.

He is being scheduled for a CAT scan later this afternoon.

Mikes Mom is in the room with him today and will be here in CA at least through the rest of this week.

Evelyn has spoken to all the Doctors – so she is taking a break to go get some rest, shower etc..

She will return in a few hours and plans on spending the night again.

Michael, Matthew and Madison are doing well and having all their needs met.

Obviously Mike still has a long way to go in his recovery.

Once he is out of ICU and in a regular room, he will be allowed visitors.

It’s a good thing, but everyone will please have to be patient when that point arrives.

Based on the number of e-mails and texts I am receiving from all of you I think we are going to need a scheduling program or a lottery of some kind. :>

The outpouring of love, care and prayer is impressive, he hears every text and e-mail from everyone of you.

As most of you know Mike works for Grainger.

They are fully aware of Mikes condition and will be coordinating with Evelyn throughout this week and going forward until Mike is capable of making his own decisions.

From the regular room he will most likely be going to a rehab center for a while and that’s going to be some really hard work.

After that a discharge planner will work with him and the family for an even longer care and recovery plan.

It really will be the medium to long term where Mike is going to need the most help and support.

As Mike’s condition improves and we are able to better asses his needs, a plan, that is already under development will be adjusted and shared.

There will be requests for meals, transportation, probably some financial support.

It’s very premature, I know, but it has to start somewhere.

If any of you are compelled to offer assistance with anything at all, please send me an e-mail with a short description so I can put it in the matrix.

Meals, Transportation, Financial (no amount needed to be specified), Exercise Buddy, Phone support, Visitation etc…

No one but Evelyn and I will know, privacy / anonymity will be respected.

It will most likely be a few weeks before any requests are made, but we have to try figure out what we have to work with.

If you have already offered, as many of you have, you do not need to resend.

Times you are available as well as additional contact information, other than e-mail.

Please continue to send words of encouragement, prayer, positive thoughts and good feelings.

I hope to meet more of you as Mike gets better, you’re an awesome bunch of folks!

-

If anyone wants to be added to the "live updates" on Mike's condition, PM me your email to be added to the BCC.

#13 5 years ago

Mike is a great guy, always greets me with a smile, and just loves pinball. Missed him at league yesterday, hoping he pulls through this.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Mike is a great guy, always greets me with a smile, and just loves pinball. Missed him at league yesterday, hoping he pulls through this.

Yes…. He was missed yesterday. My prayers go out to Mike and his family.

#15 5 years ago

Sounds like a good dude. Sorry to hear about this

#16 5 years ago

Thanks for the updates Vid and Nifty, my prayers are with Mike and his family for a speedy recovery.

Steve

#17 5 years ago

The latest update shows Mike's #1 priority is still pinball:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrived at hospital at 4:45PM.

Mike’s condition was relatively unchanged throughout the day.

He had been off the ventilator all day and was breathing on his own, with underlying support from the vent in CPAP mode which was not necessary.

The results of the CAT scan showed a slight reduction in swelling.

The chest Xray from the AM was also clear.

His blood sugar was 203 – a normal range is around 120 – but it is not of a major concern at this time due to the way he is being fed.

The neurologist came back in the afternoon and talked to Evelyn some more.

As a result of Mike’s continuous slumber, he decided to order an MRI, which he hoped would provide some more definition that the CAT Scan, he was scheduled to go after 8PM.

A special thanks and shout out to Pastor Steve from Saddleback Church who came to visit and pray with Mike and Evelyn this afternoon.

It was immensely helpful and a great relief to Evelyn.

-

Evelyn, Karen, his Mom and I continued to talk to Mike throughout the afternoon about the texts and e-mails he has been receiving.

At 640PM Mike began to wake up when we were talking about PINBALL! (About 90 mins after Pastor Steve left)

He was able to move his feet gradually and tried to raise his legs.

After about 10 more minutes he was able to flex his right forearm that Evelyn was holding.

He was able to very slightly move his thumb on his left hand.

He has more control over his feet and was responsive to his Mom’s Voice, the mention of his brother’s name.

He was able to correctly answer questions regarding his kids by different movements of his feet in response to questions with right and wrong answers.

He was able to turn his head slightly and was very close to opening his eyes, he was fighting hard to our suggestions.

Some crying and much revelry ensued.

After 30 minutes, the nurse – who had been monitoring our antics came in and suggested we give him a rest, we immediately complied.

#18 5 years ago

Stay Strong.. NT>.

#19 5 years ago

That's good news. Prayers to Mike and his family.

#20 5 years ago

Does anyone have Geoff's email address? I don't have Facebook.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from zyx:

Does anyone have Geoff's email address? I don't have Facebook.

PM sent

#22 5 years ago

Thank you for PMing me Geoff's full name, however I'm looking for his email address or someone who will forward him my email address, which is [email protected].

I don't have Facebook.

Miss Mike

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from zyx:

Thank you for PMing me Geoff's full name, however I'm looking for his email address or someone who will forward him my email address, which is [email protected].
    I don't have Facebook.
    Miss Mike

I sent his name and email address.

Something must have got snipped off in cyberspace - I'll send again when I'm at a real computer and not my phone...

Did everybody else get the full email address?

#24 5 years ago

My account is three days old. It might be a limitation of being a new user.

#25 5 years ago

Thoughts and prayers coming your way Mike.

#26 5 years ago

Mike is one of the friendliest and genuine guys I've ever met. I hope you have a speedy and full recovery my friend.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

#27 5 years ago

Just saw this thread- terrible news...although glad to see the updates - sounds like progress is being made. Rooting for you Mike!

#28 5 years ago

Tonight's update: Mike opened his eyes!

------------------------------------------------------------------

As I am writing this e-mail to you all, I am receiving texts from Evelyn regarding Mike’s condition.

As of 5 minutes ago, HE OPENED HIS EYES and was able to recognize Evelyn.

He was able to respond to commands to move his feet.

He has decided to go back to sleep for a bit.

He needs more rest.

He has always really loved to nap.

#29 5 years ago

I enjoy his posts here. Get better soon brother.

#30 5 years ago

Mike, you gotta kick this thing's ass so you can play more pinball!

Quoted from Gryszzz:

I enjoy his posts here. Get better soon brother.

I honestly never knew his Pinside name, so didn't connect the poster to the guy I know.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I honestly never knew his Pinside name, so didn't connect the poster to the guy I know.

With a rare, Italian name like Bodak, he sure does not need some crazy Azmodius handle.

#32 5 years ago

IMG_0099.jpg

#33 5 years ago

Okay, I'm kinda pissed now that I've never met vid, and he knows Mike. Next time you're in SoCal you better let me know motherf—ker.

#34 5 years ago

Man, just saw this thread too.
    Crazy stuff. He was just out at Banning helping us a handful of weeks ago!

Godspeed Azmodeus!

Next time we see him Aurich, (when he recovers fully) we'll have to bribe Mike to give up Vid's identity!

#35 5 years ago

IMG_20150517_205125995.jpg

#36 5 years ago

Who knew Vid was such a "stalker..."

(Just kidding Vid. Lovin' the addition of the scribbled arrow though on the first pic.)

#37 5 years ago

He really does wear that Pinside shirt all the time too, guy represents!

#38 5 years ago

My best wishes for Mike's recovery. I know things look rather bad now but many stroke victims regain speech and movement rather quickly. My wife Susie had a stroke 3 years ago and was vegetative for several days - I really missed hearing her voice so I'd call her voice mail just to hear a snippet. But eventually she did get better and is almost 100%. I hope the same for Mike and his family.

#39 5 years ago

Thursday AM update from Geoff:

-------------------------------------------

As of this morning he is still sleeping and his overall condition remains unchanged.

He is scheduled for both a CAT scan and an MRI today.

The neurosurgeons did mention that if one has to have a stroke, this is an area that is more favorable than others, if such a thing is possible.

Strokes in this region of the brain are more rare and account for 2-3% of cases.

The neurosurgeons still feel Mike will recover, but they are simply unable to predict what, if any deficiencies, he may have.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but it will be a long process.

There will be progress and unfortunately there may be setbacks.

Mikes stroke occurred near / around his cerebellum and is bilateral, meaning it was on both sides of that region of his brain:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/128780-treatments-cerebellar-stroke/ - It’s kind of vanilla content, but it spells out the basics

The cerebellum:

http://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/cerebellum - Informative and interactive.

The information presented above is very general and cannot predict what Mike’s final outcome and results will be.

As I know you are all aware, the brain is a very complicated organ. No two patients respond the same.

After Mike woke up the first time on Monday it took him 2 full days to wake up again and open his eyes.

#40 5 years ago

Geoff update

--------------------------------------------------------------

Mike is still in the ICU and remains in critical but stable condition.

He woke up a couple times today and was able to respond to commands to move his feet.

He was able to move his hands a little.

He was able to recognize his Mom and Evelyn.

Results of CAT scan and MRI still show a fair amount of swelling.

His blood pressure is still elevated.

He is still getting treatment for his body temperature.

Didn’t get results of cultures.

There is a possibility they will take out the ventilator tomorrow.

The put in a picc line – which is basically a long term IV, and have reduced the number of IV’s they had going in which is good.

#41 5 years ago

I don't personally know Mike, but thanks for the updates. I have been rooting for him and it's nice to see the pin-community stick together.

#42 5 years ago

Picc lines are great.. ends the new IV every few days.. My thoughts and prayers got out to him and his family... I swear he looks familiar.... Not sure where I would have seen him at...

#43 5 years ago

Friday update PM from Geoff:

---------------------------------------

Today was a good day, progress was made!

At 3:40PM, he was taken of the ventilator and is breathing on his own!!!!!

His blood pressure is lower, he is still receiving meds for it.

His temp is down to 99, another good sign

He had his eyes open when I arrived, has been awake a good portion of the afternoon apparently.
    The pupil readings are steady.

The intercranial pressure is below 20

He was able to open his mouth slightly for the Neurosurgeons and stick his tongue out when asked.

Tonight they are going to try to get him to say his name.

The nurses told him where he was and recounted what had happened to him.

He had a strenuous Physical Therapy routine to begin to get him moving.

His Mom was by his side, holding his hand and when Evelyn walked in, a tear rolled down his cheek.
    His Mom is convinced that he was looking for her.

All major and vital organs are doing their thing.

He had his eyes open when I arrived, has been awake a good portion of the afternoon apparently.

I observed him moving his legs and feet.

Evelyn told him to give me a high five, I was on his left side, he tried to raise his hand, we settled for a knuckle bump while his hand was on the bed, but he moved his fingers.

I will be taking his Mom back at 1100AM

The kids are fine and Evelyn is going to be with him.

#44 5 years ago

Incredible news today!!!!

Sat update from Geoff:

-------------------------------------------------------

Got his Mom to the Hospital around 11:30.

Evelyn was there and meeting with Internal Medicine Dr.

All vital organs are doing good.

His BP is still being controlled with Medicine.

Blood Sugar elevated, but of no concern.

His cranial pressure is good and his pupils are stable – one just below 4 the other just above.

Mike was alert and tracked his eyes on me when I got a chance to talk to him.

I asked him if he knew who I was… He smiled and he barely, but audibly whispered;

“You’re Geoff – You are my friend” (AWESOME)

I told him about the OC Pinball League – Pastor Steve and The Church and about the e-mails and all the people that are asking about him.

He is not in any pain, he shook his head no when asked.

He remembers Steve, Eric and Carrie from the Michigan days.

He was able to lick his lips and move his tongue.

He was able to grasp with both hands and move his legs and feet.

The physical therapist came in and by 2PM, he was sitting up, with his feet touching the floor.

He had some balance on his own, but was mostly supported by the care team.

My palms were literally sweating, they worked him really hard.

His blood pressure stayed good, but his pulse went up a lot (which was expected)

The PT Guy said he was going to make him walk again.

They are going to stand him up tomorrow (with a lot of mechanical support and monitoring)

They aren’t wasting any time getting him going.

He was tired after that – and promptly headed back to the bat cave in his mind.

He is still in the ICU at Saddleback Memorial Hospital.

Pure speculation on my part, but I would guess a few more days with the tube in his brain and once that comes out he can go to a different room.

No one knows for sure….

Once he gets more stable and alert, Evelyn will decide who and when can visit and for how long.

He will be getting PT 3x per day and is going to be exhausted when they are not working him out, he is still very weak, but getting stronger.

His Mom is staying through next Thursday.

Keep up the Positive Energy and Prayer – It’s uplifting to All involved

Geoff

#45 5 years ago

That's awesome! Go Mike! Again, thanks for the updates Vid.

Steve

#46 5 years ago

Great to hear the positive updates. I don't know Mike, but I wish him the best and send prayers to his family. I could only hope that if I were to go through something like this I would have the same kind of friends as Mike does.

Pinball is a small community, and it's great to see everyone come together when needed!

Chris

#47 5 years ago

Coming soon : Vid's guide to being a great buddy

#48 5 years ago

That's really great news.

I'm going out to Banning tomorrow to work on games before Arcade Expo. This is what Mike looked like last time he was there to help out, rocking the head lamp.

11796449_10207893175949214_5077225955808404562_n.jpg

Keep fighting man!

#49 5 years ago

I have been praying for your friend, I pray for a full recovery for Mike and his family and friends, sounds like he is a great guy with lots of support, my sister in law just went through the same thing and she recovered very well, just a little trouble with her left arm, get well soon Mike

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This is what Mike looked like last time he was there to help out, rocking the head lamp.

He looks like he is ready to do some serious game surgery.

There are 311 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside