Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jayvo86
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I would say practice ball trapping and learn to try and cradle the ball more. The more control you have the better. If you know of the games in the tournament ahead of time, try and brush up on the rules and figure out how to get the big points.

Definitely. To expand on this advice: Control, Shot accuracy and Strategy are the three big elements to develop and practice. Flipper control skills and shot accuracy can be practiced on most games. Depending on how anal you want to get, you should practice on games with the same era of flippers as the tournament you're going to (there ARE differences that will alter some control techniques)...but that might be too extreme right now. ;P

How I tend to warm up before going to a competition is on something like F-14. I put a 4-player game in and I'll just work on putting the ball into screwed up situations and attempt to gain control. Then I might attempt to do 10-20 post passes in a row. Maybe shatz the lanes 10-20 times. Then point at a random shot and attempt to shoot it in as few tries as possible (while regaining control via flipper skills). I don't so much play for points, I put the ball into "situations" which I have to recover from.

Side-quick-rant: Patience is the key to control IMO...and patience is only developed through confidence...and confidence is only developed through experience. I feel a lot of players flail at the ball and send it into randomness because of a lack of confidence. I know that's when I wind up flailing in tournaments/leagues. The key is to always stay calm and learn to only flip when you have to. Catch yourself when you've entered a flailing meltdown and in the moment force yourself to calm down and gain control. It has done wonders for me in stressful situations where I was set to blow it big time. This is all IMO of course.

Rules...rules, unfortunately, you can't really practice. You gotta look them up. Unless there is something oddball or rare, you can usually look up a rule sheet/strategy discussion online. Or one of Bowen's tutorials.

Good luck!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/practicing-for-tournaments?tu=sosage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.