Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jayvo86
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 10 years ago

Watch this. Learn this. Love this.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from ahanson:

I'm still working on patience. It's very hard to trust a dead flipper bounce as it just seems counter intuitive and I don't think I do enough of it. I also notice many of my drains are due to anxious slap saves that I probably didn't need to try resulting in the ball draining between the flippers.
    I see myself as more of a precision style player than an on the fly flow style at the moment although my multiball play is generally a flail fest, working on that though for tournaments.
    I also have started playing multi-player games while practicing to get used to having to wait for other players in between balls.
    Oh and nerves seem to get me every time.
    The pros just make it look so easy.

Play a few games one-handed. The bounce passes will just happen.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Personally, I hate to say it, but while ball control is of paramount importance, what separates the winners from the losers is knowledge of the game they're playing. And that's really time consuming. The top-level players know every nuance in a game, which shots to go for, even down to the software versions and any special idiosyncrasies the game version may have.

Knowing every little detail certainly gives you an edge, but for the vast majority of competitors it's not the difference between winning and losing. The first thing on any game is to figure out a basic strategy to score quick, safe points. Watch the PAPA tutorial on STTNG for an example of this using the Picard Maneuver.

At league night last week, I noticed the lock shot was super hard, but the beta ramp was very easy and I could hold the right flipper up on the return, bop it over and repeat. I quickly racked up 500M just shooting it over and over. At 50M per shot, there was no reason to go for anything else. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until the 3rd ball...

Big tournaments like PAPA will often set up the game to neuter such strategies. For example, at Pinburgh, the Earthshaker left flipper had a little shim below the rubber that causes the ball to bounce. It was to intentionally make the center ramp extremely difficult because that's the safest way to score a lot of points. Or on Addams, they put big post rubbers on the electric chair. That's where knowledge of the game starts to come into play, because you need to go for plan B or C.

But if you're playing in league or a local tourney, you can generally assume your plan A strategy will carry you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/practicing-for-tournaments?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.