(Topic ID: 98940)

PPS / MMR communication - it's NOT about the coin mechs (or is it?)

By jfh

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 700 posts
  • 130 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

40478.jpg
Capture.JPG
Screenshot_2014-08-10-11-49-20.png
batman.jpg
cash.jpg
image.jpg
625x465_3483_85994_1338413385.jpg
Going in Circles paint.png
Fullretard.jpg
pnisnose.jpg
not_insane.jpg
DSCN2940.JPG
Used-Cars-trailer-still.jpg
8223761335_3a5bcf76a4_c.jpg
ironmanlite7.jpg
batmanlite1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#4 9 years ago

Nobody is perfect. No company is perfect. No new product release is perfect. It's only $20.

#34 9 years ago

Door, wires, bucket, lid, everything is present. You need to snap the mechs in, but do nothing else. It has been confirmed.

Quoted from tamoore:

Is the door still fully wired and set up for them? Is this known, or is this the next shoe to drop?

#57 9 years ago

But then we couldn't complain about it over and over and over and over again on Pinside!

Quoted from LTG:

Call Rick and ask ?

He's posted his phone number and said many times to call.

If I had any questions, I'd email or call him.

LTG : )™

#153 9 years ago

Seriously, take a break man. Obviously the Novus fumes are having an effect on you. Go outside and get some fresh air.

Quoted from Firebaall:

I'm curious about this too. Is this a way to skirt UL testing or other commercial regulation? Pretty serious questions pop up when the explanations aren't up to snuff.

#301 9 years ago

So, after all is said and done, what's the point of this thread? Are we all supposed to be inspired to cancel our orders? Are we all supposed to feel and admit we were ripped off? Are we supposed to form a mob and demand coin mechs?

You seem to not care for how Rick presents himself, and this was some sort of final straw, but if he's been one thing he's been consistent.

He's answered most questions, skipped some, and invited anyone who wants to call his cell.

You say this is a communication / trust issue. So, why are you a customer? I don't mean this as trolly or condescending, there is no tone of voice on Pinside, I'm curious why you still want to buy this machine at this time. Rules or not, I know a couple people who have successfully bailed after the coin mech issues blew up (not because of coin mechs) so I'm confident you could have, but you didn't.

The most powerful voice you have is your wallet, if you really want to make a statement, demand a refund. That is the very best way to show PPS how you really feel. My guess, because I don't know for sure, is that you could probably get one. If you bought from JJP, he's worked with a couple people to get refunds. I can PM you the details if you'd like.

Quoted from jfh:

A mod suggested that a new thread be created to discuss "the MMR coin mech issue", rather than having the discussion continue in the main MMR thread. I wasn't going to do that, but was encouraged to do so after some private discussions.

In thinking about it, I realized that some missed the point that the larger issue isn't about whether or not coin mechs ship with MMR, but rather how PPS handled the issue.

In case anyone doesn't know, here are the facts:

- Shortly after deposits on MMR became non-refundable, Rick announced that MMR would ship without coin mechs.
- This was the first indication that the remake would not ship equipped for a primary function of a commercial pinball machine and one that was obviously present in the original.
- Rick stated the reason for this omission was a logistics issue due to non-domestic orders and implied that it would be difficult for Stern to handle getting the right type of mechs with the right game on the assembly line.

There was a lot of discussion about the missing mechs. Rick stated that that PPS believed that only a small percentage of MMR buyers would be impacted by this decision, since the significant portion of the games produced were going into homes of private collectors who, for the most part, don't use/need coin mechs. I happen to agree with this point, and I know many others do, but using that as a rationalization/justification for not including mechs.

Any good project manager would conclude the same thing I did - that either this was a cost cutting move or the issue of needing different types of mechs by country wasn't appropriately planned for. I think it is the latter, as it doesn't make sense as a cost-cutting move for a number of reasons.

Instead of something like:

"Hey guys, we underestimated what was required to efficiently install the proper coin mechs during the production of MMR, so we believe it's best for the project that machines ship without them. PPS will send a set of coin mechs at no charge to the registered owner of a machine if they would like them. In addition, we would like to offer [something/discount coupon/whatever] to all owners as our thanks for your understanding on what we hope is a minor inconvenience."

What did we get?

- you guys don't understand how hard this is to do
- what's the big deal? Nobody uses mechs anyway
- if you want them, we'll sell them to you cheap (totally ignoring those folks would essentially pay for them twice)
- It wasn't our decision not to include the mechs, it was our contractor's fault.
- feigned ignorance over "missing parts"
- total ignorance of the real issue.

I don't think this is acceptable. I believe, as I know many do, that Rick has done (and plans to do) much for the pinball community and I am quite grateful for his efforts. I was one of the first to place an order for MMR, despite the fact I own a pristine original, as I wanted to show support for MMR and the concept of reproducing classic WMS titles. I want a new AFM, CC, BBB and maybe some others.

There seems to be a disturbing habit when someone questions a PPS decision/move. Many of the replies we get don't acknowledge the issue, but
- repeat the original answer, as if we didn't read or understand it the first time.
- tell us we wouldn't understand the issues involved
- slyly disparage the person asking the question
- totally ignore any constructive criticism or suggestions
- fail to attribute any responsibility to Rick and/or PPS. Everything is someone else's fault.

Let me be perfectly clear - the issue that mechs aren't shipping with the game don't bother me anywhere near the perception I have that Rick is tone deaf to the concerns that have been expressed in the MMR thread (mechs is the latest, but certainly not the first). Yes, I can afford mechs if I want them, but that's not the point - I shouldn't even have to think about having to do so.

Yes, nobody cancelled their order over missing coin mechs (which would have cost them $1k). Would anyone have cancelled before the deposit deadline? I suspect not, but no one had the opportunity.

Most don't care about the missing coin mechs. Fine. What if the game were to ship without legs? Most of us have a spare set or two - no big deal, right? What if it was "too hard" to figure out what power supply needed to be installed in the game?

Doesn't matter - it's not a parts issue. It's a communication and trust issue. I don't want snarky answers from someone who doesn't think I'm intelligent enough to handle the truth. If I mess up, I take responsibility for it. I expect others (including Rick) to do the same.

I say it's not about the mechs - what do you think?

#303 9 years ago

So, answer the question then. He's really mad, he's down on the project, he doesn't trust Rick or care for his communication. Why buy? That's all I was asking.

Quoted from RobT:

Good lord.

If the OP hasn't cancelled his order for MMr, why in the world would you interpret his thread as being an attempt to get you to cancel your orders?

Form a mob?

Hyperbole much?

#306 9 years ago

Comments usually end in periods, questions end with question marks. I was genuinely wondering, those were the best ideas I had.

I made no comments about that at all.

Quoted from RobT:

No, that's not "all you were asking".

You made a bunch of other comments about convincing people to cancel their orders, forming a mob, etc. Remember?

Quoted from jalpert:

Are we all supposed to be inspired to cancel our orders? Are we all supposed to feel and admit we were ripped off? Are we supposed to form a mob and demand coin mechs?

#336 9 years ago

That's cool. Personally, if I lost trust in PPS I would bail, but I think they've done a great job so far. I really do understand where you're coming from, the mechs should be included.

In terms of JJP and not shipping games or Stern shipping incomplete games, I don't think this is that. Without having the game, or having a shell of a game code wise, you are either not playing the game at all (I know, obvious) or your gamplay is severly limited or affected. With the coin mechs, you can throw $20 at it and make it go away.

I have a feeling that if you ask any Stern owner with incomplete code, or any JJP owner who is still waiting for their game, if they could pay $20 to make their problem go away, they would pay it in a hearbeat.

Quoted from jfh:

I think I was pretty clear about the point of the thread in my OP and it was more about how Rick/PPS handled the issue, rather than the issue of mechs not shipping itself.
I wanted to see what others thought to see if I was alone and to see if the PPS estimates that only a tiny fraction of the customers cared. Clearly what we see from this thread is that people do think it was handled poorly by PPS and that PPS may have also underestimated the number of people who were bothered by either issue.
I had hoped to see a response from PPS admitting what everyone now knows which is that this was also handled poorly. I really wanted to see PPS say "we'll make it right by sending mechs to those who are really upset by our announcement they won't be installed on the game". That wasn't my suggestion, but that of a number of other people. An incredibly logical and simple solution if you believe the PPS estimates are correct.
What really got me was why such a logical solution was totally ignored (i.e. Not responded to) by Rick in both the threads and private messages when he responded to ideas that were a lot less logical. There had to be a reason, but it is now abundantly evident we will never get the real story on mech-gate because that would require Rick to answer questions he clearly wants to ignore.
I've also said that I think MMR is/will be a great product. I want it to succeed because I want to own likely future titles.
Not liking how someone chooses which questions to answer is a far cry from "wow, you must really hate this product - why would you ever want one" (which seems to be a conclusion a lot of people have jumped to in my case).
Was I trying to incite people to cancel their orders? Of course not. I'm pretty sure there isn't even a hint of that suggestion in any of my posts. (I wouldn't cancel an order where I would forfeit $1K because I was t getting $50 in parts. I've walked away from deals before on principle, but it seems that would be cutting off your nose to spite your face)
Are people supposed to feel/admit being ripped off? Of course not, though I totally understand that some do.
All I want people to do is to not give PPS (or anyone else) a free pass when they do something that so many people see as wrong on one level (poor communication with their customers) or another (taking something away, whatever it is, at the 11th hour after locking deposits) or even worse (maybe Rick wasn't being honest when he said he posted as soon as he knew there was an issue).
People got really upset over WOZ delays, over the Tron coin door, over Stern games coming out with beta level code. It sure seems like JJP and Stern are working to see that those are historical issues, not perpetual ones. Did most people impacted by any of those cancel their orders? No, though WOZ may have pushed the envelope.
No reason PPS/CGC should be any different.

#343 9 years ago

It was until about 2007. Ever since, I think you can argue that it isn't.

Quoted from metallik:

A coin mech is an integral part of the machine.

#349 9 years ago

They don't. The pinball market has shifted to a much larger percentage of home buyers, that was the point. Coin mechs are not an integral part of the machine since the majority of the games are not going to operators. Per Rick, most games are going to the home market.

It didn't used to be this way, but times have changed.

Quoted from Whysnow:

??? How the heck does one add credits to a location game w/o a coin mech?

DBVs sure aren't the norm from the factory, but it would be cool if they were.

Quoted from jalpert:

It was until about 2007. Ever since, I think you can argue that it isn't.

#351 9 years ago

True. Out of the box, MMR cannot earn on location. I don't think anyone will dispute you on that.

Quoted from metallik:

"coin mech" = "money-taking device"

Out of the box, MMR cannot earn on location. It's balls are cut off.

#353 9 years ago

Those are all things that 100% of the buyers use. Everyone will see the dragon wings, everyone will see the translite, everyone will use the legs and leg bolts.

Only a very small percentage of people will need coin mechs.

I actually agree with you, it sucks the mechs won't be there. But arguments like this don't help your cause.

The difference is blatantly obvious between the coin mechs and those things.

Quoted from jfh:

What if the game didn't come with dragon wings? Or the translight? Or bolts for the legs? Or legs?

None of those are irreplaceable either.

It would only be comparable to the Stern Pro if the MMR flyer said "ready for coin mechs (not included)"

#378 9 years ago

Before Rick came along, a NIB MM would have been upwards of $20,000. Now we are getting them for $8,000 but damn him for not including the $20 coin mechs! Oh, and he told us about it in a shitty way so there's that too!

Quoted from vex:

all you 8k pre order guys showing good faith and supporting rick and pps with mmre deserve better treatment then this imo. yet another reason why pre ordering is a suckers game. i will bet the next game comes with the ridiculous coin mech installed. on principle alone i won't support this behavior. i give a shit about a lousy 20$

#380 9 years ago

You're right. MM does not = MMR. MMR is better. Better audio, brand new parts, extra clear on the play field.

No, we realize it's not the same, why can't you realize that in a lot of ways it's better?

Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not sure why it is so hard for many to realize that apples and oranges are different things?

#419 9 years ago

Strictly for location and those one or two guys who like to coin up the games in their basements.

Quoted from XLdad:

Would any of the people who ordered the game for HUO want the Coin mechs or is this strictly a issue for people who put the game on location?

#450 9 years ago

He asked who utilizes coin mechs. It appeared to be a serious and genuine question. I answered his question. You are a tad too angry about this, even for this thread.

Quoted from TVP:

Or those of us buying a $8,000 advertised replica (excluding licensing issues) of a $3,000 machine back in 1997.

#554 9 years ago

Since this thread isn't about coin mechs and is about PPS's communication, how about the lack of communication regarding the missed estimated production date? The silence is getting pretty old.

#559 9 years ago

Whoa partner. Let's not get all conspiracy theory just yet The distributors all had their own money collection policies, my distributor (Automated) hasn't asked me for the payment yet. PPS isn't in control of that.

I do agree with you. When you are this close to production, no news is bad news. Because if there was good news, we'd know already.

I think there is a delay. I think it's another 3-5 weeks. It's not "BIG" though.

Quoted from viper001:

Agreed. Especially given they went out of their way to collect the rest of the money owed, which originally wasn't supposed to happen until the games were 2 weeks away from shipping. The other thread is reporting MMr won't even go on the line after AC/DC. Something is up, hopefully there will be an announcement soon since everyone seems to just be making up their own theories right now.

Past experience has shown when things go silent the next announcement is never good news. I suspect the missing coin mechs are soon to be a completely forgotten topic...

#592 9 years ago

Right after an, "I know something you don't know," I was expecting a, "nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doo doo."

Quoted from indypinhead:

Guess I shouldn't have said anything to begin with,

Quoted from indypinhead:

Let's just say I've heard some things from a reliable source, and have promised to keep it to myself.

#634 9 years ago

If you want to talk to Rick, call him. His email response is spotty at best.

Quoted from Nilroc:

I have emailed Rick a couple of days ago.
I'll post if I hear anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 64.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pps-mmr-communication-its-not-about-the-missing-coin-mechs?tu=jalpert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.