(Topic ID: 98940)

PPS / MMR communication - it's NOT about the coin mechs (or is it?)

By jfh

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 700 posts
  • 130 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 34 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

40478.jpg
Capture.JPG
Screenshot_2014-08-10-11-49-20.png
batman.jpg
cash.jpg
image.jpg
625x465_3483_85994_1338413385.jpg
Going in Circles paint.png
Fullretard.jpg
pnisnose.jpg
not_insane.jpg
DSCN2940.JPG
Used-Cars-trailer-still.jpg
8223761335_3a5bcf76a4_c.jpg
ironmanlite7.jpg
batmanlite1.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 700 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.
#601 5 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Check your back door, the goodie bag is hanging on the knob.

#602 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

I was just thinking. Rick has had our deposits for 9 months approximately.
I'm sure that money was gaining some interest. Maybe Rick could apply that to some co$& mec@& for the machines.
Especially if there is a delay. Or a nice Goody Bag.

Well if PPS tossed the $1 million in deposits in a CD for a year at 1.25% (maybe you could get a better rate with a large deposit but CD interest rates are pretty rough these days), he'd have a cool $12,500 in interest, or $12.50 per buyer. Not sure how much good will that's going to generate ...

#603 5 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I just don't see an upside to this preorder BS, you guys have no idea what you are going to get or when you are going to get it.

I see the following upsides to pre-ordering:

1) Better Value - $1000 discount for WOZ LE, $500 discount for Hobbit LE. MMr LE is same price as the Standard.
2) Locks in the price - perhaps more important when prices were increasing at a crazy rate.
3) Might be the least expensive way to get a very limited game - Predator and JPOPs games come to mind.
4) May get the game faster - though this is clearly not always the case.

Edit: All of the pre-orders have offered refunds up to a certain date, so the initial risk is low.

#604 5 years ago

There shouldn't be any grey about the company that is producing the game and selling it through a network of distributors. Until Rick's recent note, it was clearly presented that PPS was the game supplier with Chicago Gaming providing engineering and toll manufacturing. PPS's logo was on the translite. CG and PPS then apparetnly decided to subcontract a large portion of the manufacturing process to Stern. I'm not worried about getting a quality game within the next several months, but uncertainty about who is selling and ultimately responsible for the machines at this late stage is kind of crazy.

#605 5 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I don't understand why this preorder model isn't dead yet.

The only reason I rushed to order one of these was a pinball friend phoned me while I was on the road driving, and he told me there had been an announcement that ONLY 1,000 MM's would be reproduce by 'a company' and that they were going fast! He thought it was JJP. I got excited and got to thinking . . . . (worst thing I usually do!), and a few minutes later I got another call from him saying nearly all 1,000 had sold in the first 3 hours. With that, I put in an urgent call to JJP and asked could I still get on the list. Was told to mail a quick Bank Check and I'd get one of the 'last few left' depending if my check beat others who have phoned and committed. I raced to my bank and mailed the check immediately. I didn't want to lose out!

THEN . . . days or a week or so later, I find out there there will be an unlimited supply of standard MM's to be made AFTER the initial release of the LE's. THAT busted my bubble REAL FAST! I would probably not have ordered an LE and waited until the Standards came out and put my own shaker motor on.

I don't want to participate in any pre-order thing AGAIN!!!!
Mike in Kentucky

#606 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Well if PPS tossed the $1 million in deposits in a CD for a year at 1.25% (maybe you could get a better rate with a large deposit but CD interest rates are pretty rough these days), he'd have a cool $12,500 in interest, or $12.50 per buyer. Not sure how much good will that's going to generate ...

Was just bringing attention to the fact overall it's a good chunk of change.

#607 5 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

The only reason I rushed to order one of these was a pinball friend phoned me while I was on the road driving, and he told me there had been an announcement that ONLY 1,000 MM's would be reproduce by 'a company' and that they were going fast! He thought it was JJP. I got excited and got to thinking . . . . (worst thing I usually do!), and a few minutes later I got another call from him saying nearly all 1,000 had sold in the first 3 hours. With that, I put in an urgent call to JJP and asked could I still get on the list. Was told to mail a quick Bank Check and I'd get one of the 'last few left' depending if my check beat others who have phoned and committed. I raced to my bank and mailed the check immediately. I didn't want to lose out!
THEN . . . days or a week or so later, I find out there there will be an unlimited supply of standard MM's to be made AFTER the initial release of the LE's. THAT busted my bubble REAL FAST! I would probably not have ordered an LE and waited until the Standards came out and put my own shaker motor on.
Mike in Kentucky

I got a similar call but I am not fazed by the hype simply because people rotate games when they tire of them.
Most of the HUO Sterns I have bought have right around 300 games on them.
This is nothing for a commercial piece of equipment and the buy it before you are locked out simply isn't true.
Take a crappy nightclub for example that has low patronage stick a velvet rope out front and a couple of bouncers and people want to be the select few that get in.
Still the same crappy nightclub with watered down drinks and high prices it is the idea that you might not be able to get in that makes people want to get in.

#608 5 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

No offense, but if that's the case why didn't you just cancel your order when the Standards were announced (about three days after the LE was announced, if I remember right) and get your money back? I was in with JJP day one, requested a refund in early December, and got it within a week. Super easy.

#610 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

why didn't you just cancel your order when the Standards were announced

I just didn't have the heart to call Jack and tell him I changed my mind. Plus, I believe this is my last major foray into buying new pins. I'm kinda get up in years and planning on keeping this MM for a long, long time and slowly sell off my other pins. I bit the bullet! And . . . . kept on thinking how nice and different the LE version would be. I'm okay with this. I definitely want it now even though it will be shy of two coin mechs! Ha.
Mike in Kentucky

#611 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

PPS seems like at the least a very involved "licensor", or maybe even a "partner" depending on which part of Rick's statement you look at. If PPS wanted CGC to take lead on manufacturing but wanted to retain control over distribution, the contracts could easily be negotiated to allow for that.

OK, but as a very involved "licensor" or maybe even partner, I wouldn't expect PPS to give up control of what is spec'ed for the machine, which is what we are being told WRT the coin mechs.

I'm a little biased because whenever I think of CGC, I think of cabinets (good) and Pinball America (not so good).

#613 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

OK, but as a very involved "licensor" or maybe even partner, I wouldn't expect PPS to give up control of what is spec'ed for the machine, which is what we are being told WRT the coin mechs.
I'm a little biased because whenever I think of CGC, I think of cabinets (good) and Pinball America (not so good).

I hear you. And frankly, I'd be surprised if the contracts give full and final control over specs to CGC -- in other words, if PPS really put its foot down on this it's hard to imagine the games wouldn't end up shipping with coin mechs, despite the added complexity (and/or delay if sourcing 1,000 coin mechs on short order is a problem as some have speculated). I took Rick's post to mean that they're business partners, so when CGC told PPS late in the game that they didn't want to install coin mechs, it wasn't a matter of PPS saying "just do it, damn it" and CGC saying "yes boss," and instead they collectively decided, based on CGC's expertise on the game production side, that it was best to move forward without the coin mechs. But this just gets back to the point that none of us know very much about the nature of the PPS/CGC contractual relationship (which again, at least to me, is not unusual) so it's all speculation.

#615 5 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

or me it is The Stockade in Crestline.

BRAVO to you!!! From a Vet . . . .
Mike

#616 5 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

that's odd many commercial coin op games get operated with tokens so those "must have" mechs are pulled out anyway. Does that make those games not commercial coin op games?

Maybe Mr. Personality/PPS figures all of the ops are placing them in fun centers that are equipped with Sacoa card readers so the coin chutes will getr covered up anyway. Yeah, that's it.

#617 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wrong.
Zizzle and The Pin do not have coin slots. They are absolutely incapable of accepting coins for coin-op use.
This game has a commerical Happ coin door with coin slots. It's capable of accepting coins for coin-op use. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Fullretard.jpg 36 KB

I assume it's so difficult to comprehend because like you said, I went "full retard".

#618 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I assume it's so difficult to comprehend because like you said, I went "full retard".

I hate it when that happens.

#619 5 years ago

No coin mechs ? Really ? Well just leave out the coin box and the coin door! WTF no need for a Manuel ! I guess I can go on line for that ! BS

#620 5 years ago

Has anyone heard from Rick at all???

#621 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Did you call him?

#622 5 years ago

Maybe he went to Italy for a pre planned family vacation, and will commence production when he gets back?

#623 5 years ago

Sounds like bullshit ! Well leave out the coin box and coin door ! MM home version for $8000 grand.I have 80 plus games and everyone has a working coin door ! I'm finally getting the Holy Grail ! What else is gonna be missing ? More remakes ? Or BK .

#624 5 years ago

No coin mechs? What kind of hash cow shit is that? For 8K I would expect at least USA slots with mechs. If not you are talking about a throw away pin with no history.

#625 5 years ago

I agree with Gorf , might as well rename it ! Delete the the goodie bag also! Everyone leaves it stapled in the cabinet ! You don't need it!

#626 5 years ago

This has to be JJP (Jacks) brilliant idea! He's the clown that talked Rick into standard versions .
1000 was just right ! Oh well.The titanic floated for awhile

#627 5 years ago

I would have expected Stern to do this first , it goes well with plastic light sockets, one bulb in the backbox !
Coming Soon ! PVC Legs !

#628 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

WTF no need for a Manuel !

You want them to include the guy who builds the game!? It never ends!!!!

#629 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You want them to include the guy who builds the game!?

Shipping would be outrageous.

#630 5 years ago

I spoke to Rick and he is aware of the need to compromise on this so he decided to make the coin door slightly smaller to offset the cost of the coin mechs.

625x465_3483_85994_1338413385.jpg
#631 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I have emailed Rick a couple of days ago.
I'll post if I hear anything.

#632 5 years ago

Artist rendering of Rick at this moment:

image.jpg

#633 5 years ago

Just curious? I've read a lot of guys quoting you don't need them ? Did you just mail off 8K . I was expecting something extra not missing.

#634 5 years ago

If you want to talk to Rick, call him. His email response is spotty at best.

Quoted from Nilroc:

I have emailed Rick a couple of days ago.
I'll post if I hear anything.

#635 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

If you want to talk to Rick, call him. His email response is spotty at best.

Should I call him collect?

#636 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

he is probably too busy counting his haul to be bothered by pesky customers

cash.jpg
#637 5 years ago

So how will panzer, I mean rare hero defend pps when they announce this things not coming out until next year?

#638 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I spoke to Rick and he is aware of the need to compromise on this so he decided to make the coin door slightly smaller to offset the cost of the coin mechs.

625x465_3483_85994_1338413385.jp... 29 KB

What is this? A coin door for ants?!

#639 5 years ago

So much fake outrage from people who aren't even buying the game.

#640 5 years ago

It would be nice to hear some type of update from Rick himself.
It has been well over a month since last update.
They do have all the money now.
Just to know if they are on schedule or behind schedule .
Not too much to ask.

#641 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Not too much to ask.

They are behind schedule, that much is clear.

#642 5 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Not too much to ask.

FAQ on PPS website was just updated 7/25.

Quoted from vicjw66:

After arrangement with Stern, it was stated that there would be a several week delay from original timeline to start production, however manufacturing would be faster. 1000 LEs by Xmas is what I remember.

Continue melting down all...

#643 5 years ago
Quoted from 2000_Alum:

1000 LEs by Xmas is what I remember.

xmasish? why have some distributors demanded full payment already? i thought money was to be paid in full 2 weeks before production begins?

#644 5 years ago
Quoted from vex:

xmasish? why have some distributors demanded full payment already? i thought money was to be paid in full 2 weeks before production begins?

Has PPS requested full payment? Other distributors are their own business that he does not control. JJP stated full payment gets you a spot in line for shipping, "We understand that the games will be built in batches by color trim. The sooner you pay the balance the sooner you will be added to our queue of customers in the category of color choices." At no time was there a threat to lose deposits. I cannot speak for other distros.

#645 5 years ago

thanks for the quick response.

#646 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

This has to be JJP (Jacks) brilliant idea! He's the clown that talked Rick into standard versions .
1000 was just right ! Oh well.The titanic floated for awhile

This is one of your first posts and this is what you write. Nice contribution.

#647 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

What's the last pinball project that's BEEN on schedule??

#648 5 years ago
Quoted from 2000_Alum:

FAQ on PPS website was just updated 7/25.

Just what the machine will or will not have not an update on schedule of manufacturing and shipping.
The last update regarding that was June 30th

#649 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

What's the last pinball project that's BEEN on schedule??

Stern releases pins pretty much on schedule.

Wish they'd do the same with code updates, which have no schedule at all.

#650 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Stern releases pins pretty much on schedule.
Wish they'd do the same with code updates, which have no schedule at all.

Doesn't Stern just announce the next big thing when it's pretty much on the production line?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 87.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
There are 700 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside