(Topic ID: 98940)

PPS / MMR communication - it's NOT about the coin mechs (or is it?)

By jfh

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 700 posts
  • 130 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

40478.jpg
Capture.JPG
Screenshot_2014-08-10-11-49-20.png
batman.jpg
cash.jpg
image.jpg
625x465_3483_85994_1338413385.jpg
Going in Circles paint.png
Fullretard.jpg
pnisnose.jpg
not_insane.jpg
DSCN2940.JPG
Used-Cars-trailer-still.jpg
8223761335_3a5bcf76a4_c.jpg
ironmanlite7.jpg
batmanlite1.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 700 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 14.
#551 9 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Coin mechs are the things that make a coin operated arcade game a commercial coin operated arcade game. Without them it is not a commercial coin operated arcade game but rather a game strictly for home use, like a zizzle or Sterns "The Pin".

Wrong.

Zizzle and The Pin do not have coin slots. They are absolutely incapable of accepting coins for coin-op use.

This game has a commerical Happ coin door with coin slots. It's capable of accepting coins for coin-op use. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Fullretard.jpgFullretard.jpg
#552 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It wasn't intended directly at that post…yes, it was rational but still playing off the multitude of irrational posts. My "insane" comment was generally directed at the "not coin op" crowd.

A coin op game in 2 easy steps.
1. Put coins into the game at which point game credits are registered
2. Press start and play game

As delivered MMr will be incapable of step 1.

Therefore, logical deduction would follow.....

#553 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I'm curious, what size coins will fit in the bezels on the coin mech-less doors or depending on the door type, the coin entry plastic/AKA coin entry plate? Asking so if a Canadian customer wants to put a Loon acceptor and a quarter acceptor on the door, will they need to change parts or get out the old hacksaw blade like we used to do in the good old days.
Funny how Bally, Williams, Gottlieb and even present-day Stern manage to ship games with Euro mechs for EU Countries, Pound and Pence acceptors for England, Canadian quarter and Loon acceptors for Canada.

I would say just ream out the slot but that step has already been done for you.

#554 9 years ago

Since this thread isn't about coin mechs and is about PPS's communication, how about the lack of communication regarding the missed estimated production date? The silence is getting pretty old.

#555 9 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Coin mechs are the things that make a coin operated arcade game a commercial coin operated arcade game. Without them it is not a commercial coin operated arcade game but rather a game strictly for home use, like a zizzle or Sterns "The Pin".

that's odd many commercial coin op games get operated with tokens so those "must have" mechs are pulled out anyway. Does that make those games not commercial coin op games?

#556 9 years ago

That would be "Commercial TOKEN op games".

#557 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Since this thread isn't about coin mechs and is about PPS's communication, how about the lack of communication regarding the missed estimated production date? The silence is getting pretty old.

Agreed. Especially given they went out of their way to collect the rest of the money owed, which originally wasn't supposed to happen until the games were 2 weeks away from shipping. The other thread is reporting MMr won't even go on the line after AC/DC. Something is up, hopefully there will be an announcement soon since everyone seems to just be making up their own theories right now.

Past experience has shown when things go silent the next announcement is never good news. I suspect the missing coin mechs are soon to be a completely forgotten topic...

#558 9 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Past experience has shown when things go silent the next announcement is never good news.

I have a STRONG hunch that you're right.

I'm guessing there is going to be a BIG delay on this project.

#559 9 years ago

Whoa partner. Let's not get all conspiracy theory just yet The distributors all had their own money collection policies, my distributor (Automated) hasn't asked me for the payment yet. PPS isn't in control of that.

I do agree with you. When you are this close to production, no news is bad news. Because if there was good news, we'd know already.

I think there is a delay. I think it's another 3-5 weeks. It's not "BIG" though.

Quoted from viper001:

Agreed. Especially given they went out of their way to collect the rest of the money owed, which originally wasn't supposed to happen until the games were 2 weeks away from shipping. The other thread is reporting MMr won't even go on the line after AC/DC. Something is up, hopefully there will be an announcement soon since everyone seems to just be making up their own theories right now.

Past experience has shown when things go silent the next announcement is never good news. I suspect the missing coin mechs are soon to be a completely forgotten topic...

#560 9 years ago

Would've been smart for MMr to just be shipped without any advanced notification that mechs aren't included. Wonder how many buyers would've noticed.... and *IF* they noticed, would they have cared? Betcha not many at all.

I have no idea if any of my pins have coin mechs in them right now. In fact, I have NEVER checked for coin mechs when I bought ANY of my arcade & pinball machines.

#561 9 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Coin mechs are the things that make a coin operated arcade game a commercial coin operated arcade game. Without them it is not a commercial coin operated arcade game but rather a game strictly for home use

then what are all the Sterns that ship to other countries without them?

#562 9 years ago

Going in Circles paint.pngGoing in Circles paint.png

#563 9 years ago

This is turning into MMr update thread 2.

#564 9 years ago

Nah not yet...PPS hasn't insulted anyone in this thread yet.

#565 9 years ago

I agree. This thread should be about trust. PPS and JJP are losing my trust.

This is the first time I am hearing that money is due beyond the deposit. Thank you for announcing this, because both PPS and my JJP the distributor have not informed me. They have my e-mail address, and phone number.

So, now the full payments are due?

ref: http://www.planetarypinball.com/2013/12/

"A: ... .The customer is then reponsible to pay the balance due to the distributor for the game,1-2 weeks before the game is ready to ship."

I never received advance notice of the deposits being locked.

Quoted from PPS:

As we also said we will give people advance notice of the deposits being 'locked down' (for lack of a better word). ... lol

#566 9 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

JJP the distributor have not informed me.

JJP required payment in full just over a month ago.

I made my payment on 7/4

#567 9 years ago

if you have the time, listen to all the plans from the original pitch.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2013/planetarypinball.mp3

spot how many plans have changed since then.

#568 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I made my payment on 7/4

how were you informed? they have not contacted me.
please.

is your game due within 2 weeks/
please.

#569 9 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Ice cream for everybody!

How far do I have to go to get it?
How long is the wait?
How much and are sprinkles extra?
Without this info I can't decide if the reward is worth the journey.

#570 9 years ago

please.

Like everyone else that purchased through JJP, I received a payment request via email.

#571 9 years ago

Does anyone here know, if there are other distributors asking for money beyond the original deposit?

There are 17 resellers listed on the PPS website.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/2013/12/

#572 9 years ago

Q: If I ordered thru PPS, can we make payments towards the balance ahead of time?

A: I suppose you can, but no need to, better to put that money in the bank and make a little interest! Again, the approach from PPS is that we request a small deposit which confirms a serious order which will get you a game. Shortly (a couple of weeks) before the game is ready to leave we will request the balance due for the game. If your distributor wishes to hold additional money on payment plans, that is up to them, but we do not require this to hold a game nor should your distributors.

#573 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

If your distributor wishes to hold additional money on payment plans, that is up to them, but we do not require this to hold a game nor should your distributors.

I wonder if I should be asking JJP for a refund on my full payment until the 2 week prior to shipping date arrives?

I have a strong hunch the machines won't be shipping until next spring, if we're lucky.

#574 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I should be asking JJP for a refund on my full payment

Nuff said.

#575 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I wonder if I should be asking JJP for a refund on my full payment until the 2 week prior to shipping date arrives?
I have a strong hunch the machines won't be shipping until next spring, if we're lucky.

WTF is a "hunch?"

#576 9 years ago

I wonder if PPS is having any reservations about their choice to be the 'face' of the game when it appears they don't have complete control regarding build decisions. Someone else makes the choice, they take the beating.

Quoted from PPS:

) CGC is the overall project 'owner' of the game - we are the licensee, and as such CGC has leeway to make decisions and we have a large degree of influence, there is nothing new to this. PPS is the 'face' for the pinball community because frankly while CGC is well known in gaming they are not 'in' the community and thus PPS (myself) provides the conduit for communication with the community. CGC is not a contractor, Stern in this case is a contractor (and important one). CGC is a partner and driving the bulk of the game development with our guidance.

Quoted from PPS:

The decision was made by Chicago Gaming for the mechs, and that is the way it is

Edit: I can also understand from this why PPS would be hesitant to simply ship out free mechs, when they weren't the ones who made the decision not to include them. Good luck getting CGC to compensate them if they did.

#577 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

WTF is a "hunch?"

Let's just say I've heard some things from a reliable source, and have promised to keep it to myself.

#578 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

We better hear about that sooner than later!

#579 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I made my payment on 7/4

JJP sent invoices to verify address etc, but I don't believe that implied they required immediate full payment.

#580 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

We better hear about that sooner than later!

Fuel , meet fire.

I hope for everybody involved this is just bs.

#581 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Let's just say I've heard some things from a reliable source, and have promised to keep it to myself.

Get the popcorn ready......

#582 9 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Get the popcorn ready......

I think the quote is "Grab your pitchforks and come with me!"

#583 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

not such a great thing to say and move along.....would have been better to say nothing at all.

#584 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Dude, this seems like a pretty big deal. First question, is your source teekee? If not, got any details on why you think the game will be shipping 6-9 months late?

[EDIT: Or are you just practicing the time-honored tradition of starting a horrible false rumor to spur PPS to make an official announcement about production delays?]

#585 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

JJP sent invoices to verify address etc, but I don't believe that implied they required immediate full payment.

They not only implied it, they stated it in the email I received:

"3- Pay your open balance of $6995.00 as you did for the deposit, via check payable to Jack Guarnieri Service Co., Inc."

The email also stated games would begin to be manufactured later in the month (July).

#586 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

well that promise was broken

#587 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

well that promise was broken

#588 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

[EDIT: Or are you just practicing the time-honored tradition of starting a horrible false rumor to spur PPS to make an official announcement about production delays?]

Kinda like how everyone kept baiting JJP? Hey, if it worked then....

#589 9 years ago

I'm not trying to stir up controversy. I truthfully think PPS has everything under control. Delays occur in all manufacturing. I'm just expecting a worse case scenario. Expect the worse, and if the delay isn't for very long, I can be pleasantly surprised in the end. It's really nothing major.

Guess I shouldn't have said anything to begin with, and from this point forward, nothing else will be said.

#590 9 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

They not only implied it, they stated it in the email I received:
"3- Pay your open balance of $6995.00 as you did for the deposit, via check payable to Jack Guarnieri Service Co., Inc."
The email also stated games would begin to be manufactured later in the month (July).

I can confirm this as well and I paid them right away. I don't mind being paid in full and waiting a few weeks, but if these don't ship until the end of the year or next, I think it's only fair to be refunded and pay when it gets closer to shipping.

#591 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Kinda like how everyone kept baiting JJP? Hey, if it worked then....

Yep, I didn't mean to imply that the baseless rumor/announcement bait tactic is only being used against PPS, it's classic internet troll jujitsu!

#592 9 years ago

Right after an, "I know something you don't know," I was expecting a, "nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doo doo."

Quoted from indypinhead:

Guess I shouldn't have said anything to begin with,

Quoted from indypinhead:

#593 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Hmmm, I haven't had to pay any more than the original $1000 yet. Sounds like your distributor is raking you over the coals. My distributor is Rick. Who's yours???

My distributor asked for the money, and from what I was told, MMR was going to be produced and begin shipping in August. I was given that information in early July. I really didn't care until I sent my check in, but now that I did, I am wanting my MMR!!

#594 9 years ago

I received an email and invoice with the DEMAND that I must pay in full by July 11, or my order would be cancelled and I would lose my deposit. If you haven't heard anything from JJP, you need to get in touch with them and explain the oversight of you not getting your payment notice. You don't want to lose your $1,000 deposit!

"Will we get our games in 2 weeks?"
Obviously not. I think we'll be lucky to get anything by Christmas.

#595 9 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I wonder if PPS is having any reservations about their choice to be the 'face' of the game when it appears they don't have complete control regarding build decisions. Someone else makes the choice, they take the beating.

Edit: I can also understand from this why PPS would be hesitant to simply ship out free mechs, when they weren't the ones who made the decision not to include them. Good luck getting CGC to compensate them if they did.

I still don't understand the CGC / PPS relationship. If the relationship is as Rick describes it (and we have no info to indicate otherwise), why is PPS the lead distributor and setting guidelines for the other distributors and not CGC?

#596 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I received an email and invoice with the DEMAND that I must pay in full by July 11, or my order would be cancelled and I would lose my deposit. If you haven't heard anything from JJP, you need to get in touch with them and explain the oversight of you not getting your payment notice. You don't want to lose your $1,000 deposit!
"Will we get our games in 2 weeks?"
Obviously not. I think we'll be lucky to get anything by Christmas.

wow, sounds like an ultimatum pintucky. nice to see a demand and a threat on an 8000$ paying customer, especially when machines are not even close to being finished within 2 weeks. under promise and over deliver once again i see

#597 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I still don't understand the CGC / PPS relationship. If the relationship is as Rick describes it (and we have no info to indicate otherwise), why is PPS the lead distributor and setting guidelines for the other distributors and not CGC?

I don't understand why this preorder model isn't dead yet.
The truth is if these games are made they won't be unobtainable and the market will be flooded with them and once the dump begins on the secondary market supply will outstrip demand.
If it turns out that the came is a cheap problematic knockoff you will be stuck with it.
I thought these games were supposed to be shipping by now but it looks like now the dates are being pushed back.
Haven't we seen this movie before?
I just don't see an upside to this preorder BS, you guys have no idea what you are going to get or when you are going to get it.
Crazy.

#598 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Not sure I follow your thinking here. There's a fair amount of gray in the way Rick described the relationship with CGC (which from my perspective is fine, how often do companies publicize the specifics of their private contracts?). Here's Rick's comment about CGC, again:

Quoted from PPS:

CGC is the overall project 'owner' of the game - we are the licensee, and as such CGC has leeway to make decisions and we have a large degree of influence, there is nothing new to this. PPS is the 'face' for the pinball community because frankly while CGC is well known in gaming they are not 'in' the community and thus PPS (myself) provides the conduit for communication with the community. CGC is not a contractor, Stern in this case is a contractor (and important one). CGC is a partner and driving the bulk of the game development with our guidance.

PPS seems like at the least a very involved "licensor", or maybe even a "partner" depending on which part of Rick's statement you look at. If PPS wanted CGC to take lead on manufacturing but wanted to retain control over distribution, the contracts could easily be negotiated to allow for that.

#599 9 years ago

I was just thinking. Rick has had our deposits for 9 months approximately.
I'm sure that money was gaining some interest. Maybe Rick could apply that to some co$& mec@& for the machines.
Especially if there is a delay. Or a nice Goody Bag.

#600 9 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

I was just thinking. Rick has had our deposits for 9 months approximately.
I'm sure that money was gaining some interest. Maybe Rick could apply that to some co$& mec@& for the machines.
Especially if there is a delay. Or a nice Goody Bag.

Check your back door, the goodie bag is hanging on the knob.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 700 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 14.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pps-mmr-communication-its-not-about-the-missing-coin-mechs/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.