12 months ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by Dono
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 months ago

Live in Maryland with strict restrictions on the types of clears allowed ... the only PPG option available for my paint shop is one called Omni MC730... it’s supposed to be a bit hotter than other Omni clears and a lot less solid content... anyone have any experience with this clearcoat product?

#2 12 months ago

No experience with that exact clear but tons of experience in general so what I can tell you is that “hotter” generally means faster and “less solids” means lower build.
    I prefer the opposite. Slower and higher build.
    Slower generally means less die back and less heat within the chemical reaction.
    Higher solids gives a better build and gloss retention as it cures.
    Both these qualities make for longer cure times as a result.

#3 12 months ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

No experience with that exact clear but tons of experience in general so what I can tell you is that “hotter” generally means faster and “less solids” means lower build.
    I prefer the opposite. Slower and higher build.
    Slower generally means less die back and less heat within the chemical reaction.
    Higher solids gives a better build and gloss retention as it cures.
    Both these qualities make for longer cure times as a result.

Makes total sense and helps, thanks for the input.. my guy also has a few products from Cromax (LE5100/LE5600) and a cheap option called Vietek 33-390, any experience with these? The Cromax is crazy expensive - $480 vs $165 for the Omni and $120 for the Vietek.

#4 12 months ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Makes total sense and helps, thanks for the input.. my guy also has a few products from Cromax (LE5100/LE5600) and a cheap option called Vietek 33-390, any experience with these? The Cromax is crazy expensive - $480 vs $165 for the Omni and $120 for the Vietek.

The Cromax LE5100 would be the best option of those because it is a two part clear so you save a little money there instead of the three parts needed for the 5600
    Also the 5100 is a slower dry time meaning it will flow out better and retain gloss best.
    Most “snap dry” or accelerator type product are made primarily for the auto body industry geared solely towards production and less significant uses like trimming out parts(painting the inside of them prior to install) and they don’t carry over as well into Pinball uses when compared to the more traditional slower products.

#5 12 months ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

The Cromax LE5100 would be the best option of those because it is a two part clear so you save a little money there instead of the three parts needed for the 5600
    Also the 5100 is a slower dry time meaning it will flow out better and retain gloss best.
    Most “snap dry” or accelerator type product are made primarily for the auto body industry geared solely towards production and less significant uses like trimming out parts(painting the inside of them prior to install) and they don’t carry over as well into Pinball uses when compared to the more traditional slower products.

Thanks so much for the much-needed info Ill go with the 5100.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 22.50
    $ 279.95
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 142.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 57.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 199.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 35.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside