(Topic ID: 223449)

PPB Board- I'm guessing this white powder shouldn't be here?

By jaybeedee

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

david (resized).jpg
PBB data e (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I was getting started on disconnecting the connectors from the playfield so I could do flipper rebuilds and VUK tune-up, when I saw the white powder on the resistors on the PBB!

Is this just age, or does it suggest a different underlying problem ?

Is it important to replace them, and would any deterioration be likely to cause gameplay issues?

Thanks for any help.
John

PBB data e (resized).jpgPBB data e (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Looks like the cement is breaking down and dropping onto the resistors below. I've never seen that before. Usually they don't go bad.

#3 5 years ago

Those are cement resistors that are starting to crumble. You could have them easily replaced by Chris Hibler @chrishibler.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Looks like the cement is breaking down and dropping onto the resistors below. I've never seen that before. Usually they don't go bad.

This can happen if machine spends time in a basement with high humidity.
-Mike

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Those are cement resistors that are starting to crumble.

I'm probably just confident enough with a soldering iron to be dangerous! and have a go at replacing them myself. Presumably the cement resistor has some properties such that I need to replace like with like, rather than just looking at any resistor with equivalent resistance & wattage ?

How important to replace them quickly ? My quick maintenance of the flippers might have just turned into something bigger.

#7 5 years ago

I would vacuum off the mess and change them out within the next month before a real issue starts.
-Mike

#8 5 years ago

I’ve never seen that before. That material is part of the thermal design of the wire wound sand resistor.

Easy replacement.
Clip the leads close to the board.
Heat the leg from the solder side and gently extract it.
Clean up the hole in your favorite way.
Install new part leaving plenty of air gap between the part and the board.
Clip the left over leg =outside= of the solder meniscus (the solder volcano).
Have a beer and marvel at your handiwork.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from altan:

It's snowing.

Better call Crockett and Tubbs.

#10 5 years ago

The devil's dandruff

#11 5 years ago

I've heard of cementmites. Never really saw the result of being infested with them, until now.

LTG : )

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Easy replacement.
Clip the leads close to the board.
Heat the leg from the solder side and gently extract it.
Clean up the hole in your favorite way.
Install new part leaving plenty of air gap between the part and the board.
Clip the left over leg =outside= of the solder meniscus (the solder volcano).
Have a beer and marvel at your handiwork.

Thanks Chris. How important is the resistance? I am about to order some replacements, and I see that on my board the resistors are 5ohm and most of the other images I see online, they are 3ohm.

The local supplier doesn't have 5ohm, but has lots of other specs - 2.7, 3.3 .... etc with 4.7ohm and 5.6ohm the closest to what is currently on the board.

Otherwise it is ordering from China

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from altan:

It's snowing.

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

The devil's dandruff

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from altan:

It's snowing.

david (resized).jpgdavid (resized).jpg

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from jaybeedee:

Thanks Chris. How important is the resistance? I am about to order some replacements, and I see that on my board the resistors are 5ohm and most of the other images I see online, they are 3ohm.
The local supplier doesn't have 5ohm, but has lots of other specs - 2.7, 3.3 .... etc with 4.7ohm and 5.6ohm the closest to what is currently on the board.
Otherwise it is ordering from China

Yes...5 ohm are a bit scarce these days. I can't say why DE settled on that value, but 4.7ohm is a good replacement.
Those are current limiting resistors for the flash lamp side of the function.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#16 5 years ago

I know I'm no one to contradict CH, but if I were you I'd just vac the mess and not worry about it. Maybe check occasionally in case the deterioration accelerates.

They're for flashers, so low duty cycle. The ones that are snowing don't look like they've overheated. Worst case, resistor opens and flasher stops flashing.

If it ain't broke...

Still, it'd be an easy repair to get your feet wet with on board work, I suppose.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton Twp, MI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ppb-board-i-m-guessing-this-white-powder-shouldn-t-be-here?hl=jdissen87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.