A4AD7E55-EA51-4F54-8F7A-A0B694EEFDB0 (resized).jpeg
506_large_image (resized).jpg
bench-press-back (resized).jpg
IMG_1504 (resized).jpg
IMG_1504 (resized).jpg
IMG_7797 (resized).jpg
20181126_153453 (resized).jpg
20181121_151726 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nexyss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 5 years ago

I started training for powerlifting 3 years ago when I was 43. I did 3 competitions. My best competition lifts were:
Squat 551
Bench 424
Deadlift 578
Total 1554

I hurt my lower back in the last competition (not sure what happened as it didn't start hurting until later that night), and it took about a year before I could start really lifting again. That was last summer, and I decided to give Strongman a try instead of powerlifting. My wife was already doing strongman, and it just looked like more fun.

I have since done one unsanctioned strongman competition, which I won, and one sanctioned event, which I took 3rd place. I am currently training to compete in Master's Nationals in Las Vegas in mid September.
These are the events I will be doing at Nationals:
Log Clean and Press - 280lbs for reps
Yoke Walk - 800 lbs for 60 ft
Axle Deadlift - 580lbs for reps
Farmers Carry - 320lbs per hand for 60 ft
Steel stone over bar for reps - 320lbs

After nationals, I may change gears for a few months and train to do another powerlifting meet. I want to try to add about 300 pounds to my last total, so I want to see how close to that I can get.

There are a few videos up on my instagram if you want to see an old fat guy lift some stuff. @powerliftingandpinball

My best advice for someone who wants to start powerlifting, or Strongman, is to go to a gym where you can see and work out with those people. If you spend all of your time at a regular gym, you start thinking that a 300 pound deadlift is pretty strong. When you walk into my gym, you will find at least 10 women who can do that for reps. It is insane. When you see guys squatting 900 pounds, deadlifting 800 pounds, and benching nearly 600 pounds, it makes everything seem a little more possible.

The numbers I list here are all for raw lifting. We only have a couple of guys still doing geared powerlifting. It seems to be dying off for the most part.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Why do you think that is? The cost to compete/travel? I have a friend that was a competitive lifter and I know that as he started to age a bit, training was taking a toll on him. I mean it makes sense, even with a shirt on, he was still benching 600+ on a competitive level. That is a ton of weight to be throwing up on a regular basis.

I think it is just too much of a pain in the ass for most people to get started with it. With raw lifting, a lifting belt and maybe knee sleeves are all you need to get started, and really all you need period. The shirts and squat suits are uncomfortable, and you have to maintain your bodyweight pretty closely, or you have to go by new gear that fits you. I also think the gear was getting too good. When a fairly little guy is 700 pounds or so, I think most people realize it isn't really him lifting the weight.

I am glad raw starting becoming popular. I would have never got into geared lifting.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Nice... what's your height/weight?

I'm always super heavyweight. I am 6 feet tall, and my weight has fluctuated between 370 and 424 during the last 3 years. I need to work on diet and conditioning a lot more to be more competitive. I work out with a pro strongman who is way stronger than me, and I outweigh him by 65 pounds right now at 385. It is kinda ridiculous, and my size definitely makes this stuff harder.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Watching top competitors really puts you in your place, unfortunately.

I prefer to look at those guys as seeing what is possible. I could only deadlift about 300 pounds when i started. I thought that was decently strong. Then I started watching people half my size deadlift more (one guy weighed 160 pounds, and could deadlift 600). Seeing that that was even possible forced me to deadlift more. 300 feels heavy, but that doesn't mean 400 is not possible. I deadlifted 484 at my first competition which was only 3 months after I started training. I added close to 100 pounds to that in the following 9 months. If you are smaller, it will take you longer than that, but if you see other people doing it, I think it makes it easier to improve. Deadlift is almost all mental. You have to train yourself to pull that hard, because it sucks. lol

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

I want to hear your guys' opinions on mixed grip vs. hook grip for deadlifting. I use hook grip, myself, because I prefer going overhanded and mixed grip personally doesn't work for me because my right shoulder hangs lower than my left. Does anyone else prefer hook grip over mixed? To my knowledge, mixed is a lot more common.

Theoretically, I like hook grip, but in practice, that shit hurts to much for me. lol
I have used hook grip up to about 450, but really didn't want to go any further. Now that I am doing strongman, I use straps a lot more, which gets rid of the unevenness of the mixed grip. I will train more with mixed grip if I decide to another powerlifting competition. My grip is pretty strong already, so I don't think using the straps hurts me too much. If my grip was weak, I would be a lot more worried about it. One of my buddies can deadlift close to 900 with straps, but struggles at 750 due to grip. I want to cut up his straps every time I see him use them, because he only needs grip strength at this point.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

5’9 148lb. I walk and jog daily
I could walk up and kick you meatheads in the nuts and run away so fast you could never catch me...

You might need to work on your anger issues. lol

If I weighed 148 pounds, I think I could probably fly.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Thank you to everyone who gave their opinion on mixed grip vs. hook grip. I also wanted to share a tip for when you use a overhanded grip on deadlifts: if you hold the bar closer to your fingers, instead of low in your palm, then you skin will not get as pinched as otherwise.
I also wanted to bring two other topics into the thread:
1. Calluses - I have had calluses since the day I started lifting. I don't mind them; I actually view them as a badge of honor. Does anyone else deal with them?
2. Fear/Nervousness of heavy lifts - I always feel nervous (not scared, my balls are too big to feel fear) before performing squats due to two back injuries I have experienced. Does anyone else feel uneasy when lifting heavy or when performing a particular lift?

Calluses- no big deal until the weight gets really heavy. If they build up a lot, you will eventually rip them off. I sand mine down with sandpaper, or an Emory board.

Nervousness - the only lift I am 100% comfortable on is bench. I will get under 500 pounds on bench no problem (using a slingshot for over load training), but I am nervous under 500 on squat. I just haven’t done it enough to be comfortable.

Here is the video of my 450 bench. Definitely not a paused comp lift. I missed this in my last comp, which is why my best comp bench is 424.

Here is the ugly 500 with the slingshot. Not sure why I tried for the second rep, there was no way that was going to happen. Lol

#79 5 years ago

Here is some fun from my last strongman competition. Started at 590, then went up 20 pounds each of the first 5 reps, then finished the rest of the minute at 690.

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

in regards to inspiration, can people talk about how lifting has effected them in regards to pinball? particularly moving and manipulating machines...

I picked up a pin and loaded it into a truck before. It was big and awkward to lift, so now I use some leverage instead of just muscling it. I really just wanted to see if I could do it.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

That is cool! Do you remember what game it was and how much it weighed? nexyss

I’m pretty sure it was Demolition Man. It might have been sttng, but I think I was probably smart enough to not test that on the more expensive game. Not sure what it weighed, but those are some of the heavier pins out there.

1 week later
#102 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Hello again, everybody! I would like to hear your opinions on supplements. Besides protein powder and maybe creatine, I think supplements are useless and not needed because you can get all the nutrients and energy you need from good quality food. When I am out of school, I eat an animal protein and a vegetable for the meal before my training session. I usually feel a lot better lifting when I eat a meal like that instead of the packed lunch I would take to school. What kind of supplements do you use, or are you against the use of them?

I think they are all pretty much worthless. If anything does end up actually working, it is usually banned pretty quickly.

If you eat a lot of red meat, creatine will do nothing for you as you are already getting plenty from the meat. Protein powder can be convenient, but that is the only real benefit. Anything else will either do nothing, or very little. I wouldn't waste your money.

The only supplement I ever used that worked was Ultimate Orange back in the 90s. It gave me a ton of energy. Then it was banned, and they changed the formula. It didn't do anything after that.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Why was Ultimate Orange banned? As someone who does not compete, could you please explain to me how and why some supplements are banned (besides PEDs, of course)? nexyss

It had ephedrine in it. Everything with ephedrine was taken off the market. I am sure there is a potential for side effects, but I think the main reason is because it worked. Supplements are drugs, so one that enhances performance is by definition a performance enhancing drug (PED).

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Thinking about picking up an SSB (Safety Squat Bar)...anybody used one?

I think they are great. I am old and benched too much to have good mobility in my shoulders, so the ssb really helps me.

I am not sure what your budget is, but check out the transformer bar from kabuki strength. It is very versatile.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

I have no experience with that type of equipment, but I wonder if a contraption like this would compromise your form. Even if you are not competing or planning to in the future, I would stick with the conventional, traditional way of squatting with a straight barbell. But that is just my take, I would listen to nexyss rather than myself.
nexyss astropin

Variation is one of the best ways to get stronger. The body will adapt to anything over time, so it is good to mix things up a bit. Most people lifting at a really high level use bands, chains, specialty bars, and anything else available to add more variety.

1 month later
#119 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Earlier in this thread I brought up the topic of mixed grip vs. hook grip. I have used hook grip since switching from full grip, but yesterday was my first time trying mixed grip and I hit a new PR! I think I am fully committing to mixed grip now. For reference, I have always deadlifted completely raw and with no chalk.

You will probably want to start using chalk before you get too heavy. It helps, and is allowed in any powerlifting competition.

I hit a new PR on deadlift today, even though I used straps. I keep my grip strong doing farmers walks without straps, so for now, I am not going to risk my bicep tendon on mixed grip. If I decide to do a powerlifting comp again, I will go back to it.

Anyway, here is 600:

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

When did you start using a belt on deadlifts? I have never injured myself or felt any pain from doing deadlifts so I have chose not to wear a belt for now. nexyss

I use a belt for anything above 400. A belt is not used to protect your back. It is used to give you something to brace against. You protect your back by activating your core and pushing out. The belt just makes it easier to do that.

3 weeks later
#156 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

here is a question for those pushing 50 and beyond: what is the best way to treat power lifting and weight training to maximize safety and strength longevity?
i.e. in 10 years I'd rather not be someone popping back on to this thread talking about the injuries that derailed me...

I think you just have to listen to your body more. The young guys can live by the “I will lift this, or die trying” philosophy, but that just doesn’t work in your mid 40s or later. You also need to let yourself recover more.

I did a local strongman competition last weekend. I was originally planning to do masters nationals in Vegas tomorrow, but I had to drop back. My body just wasn’t recovering from the heavier weights in time.

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Push600:

I’m 48 now and beat up. My numbers were best at about 38 years old.
Bench #585 (shirt)
DL #560 raw
Squat #585 raw

Did you ever max on bench raw? I am always curious what the difference is. I have talked to some people who got 300 pounds out of their shirt.

2 weeks later
#172 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

for those of you who work out at home, have you ever taken what you felt was a dumb risk trying to bench a new PB without a spotter? Any stories?

I have benched 450 pounds, but I have never once benched more than 225 without a spotter, and almost always have a spotter at that weight as well. A pec, or a bicep tendon can rip at a pretty light weight, so it is never worth it to me to risk it. The last thing I want to do is get injured, then make it worse by trying to get the bar off of me.

I have never had it happen to me, but I have seen a lot of tears. It usually happens at what is a relatively light weight for the person, and it happens really fast.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Have you guys seen this 5'9" 150lb guy who can bench over 400lbs! - https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos
Very inspirational...or depressing...depending on your outlook I find him very inspirational. Totally legit...the guy must have some freak genetics in addition to his insane workout schedule. And before you ask...yes he pretty much only benches...but damn! Not many guys can press four plates...and virtually all of them are way bigger/heavier than this guy.
I was so inspired I've begun to incorporate some of his training...mostly "paused reps" and "heavy singles".
Next to Jen Thompson this guy has to be the best bench presser I've ever seen (pound for pound). This is more impressive to me than what Larry Wheels can do. Sure he does more total weight but he's also a huge guy.

Watching that, every instinct I have tells me that those are fake weights due to the length of his arms, but if it is real, that is the most impressive bench press I have ever seen. When I saw your title, I was sure I would see a 5’ tall guy with t-Rex arms. With this kid’s reach and body weight, 225 would be impressive as hell.

He definitely has a huge chest for his size. It is certainly not impossible as there are 7 Americans at 148 or under who have bench pressed 385-440 in competition in the last 11 years. The next class up is 165, and there are over 50 who have hit 385-501.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Thank you for the advice. What I mean is that the two closet peg positions that I could slide the safety bars into are either below my chest (which would serve no purpose) or above my chest (which would prevent me from even bringing the bar to my chest because it would be blocked by the safety bars). I have an excellent bench, but I discovered that it wobbles a bit. I may disassemble it this weekend to make sure I put it together correctly. I would not consider a new rack either. Anyways, my bench is garbage and I have been working on getting perfect form for now. Best of luck to your bench! astropin

Rubber mats under your bench will be the easiest way to lift it up. You could also try straps instead of the crossbars on your rack. I have seen quite a few people use those online.

1 week later
#190 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I have a "push" day, "pull" day and leg day. My main lifts are bench, squat and deadlift because I'm focusing on building those lifts.
After benching I will also do dips and some incline dumbbells, overhead press... then blast my triceps.
Pull day has been a little off lately since I'm dealing with a tendon injury. But I mix up lat pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, pullups, cable rows, landmine rows... then blast my biceps.
Leg day is focused on squats and deadlifts but I will mix in lunges, nordic curls (hamstrings) landmine squats (single leg) and a couple other movements.
I hit abs in different ways every workout.
Right now it's push day, pull day, day off, legs, day off, repeat.

If you are focusing on the 3 power lifts, I would suggest changing up your schedule. Each of the 3 lifts should get their own day. You can’t hit both squats and deadlifts hard enough in the same workout to improve both of them. A second upper body day would be ok if you want to add it, but I would make the primary exercise overhead press to give the shoulders and tris more work. I find rows to be a good accessory lift on deadlift day. On bench day, lat pull downs leaning back are good, since it is the same basic position as bench.

I think you will find, as the weights get heavier, that you only have enough energy for quick biceps stuff, since you really need to focus on things that improve the 3 main lifts.

I also wouldn’t go down to heavy doubles and singles on bench that often. Maybe the last 6 weeks before a contest, and I would drop the volume during that. Let those tendons heal up a bit with a little higher rep range farther away from a meet.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Has anyone tried the three finger/eagle grip for squats? I have been dealing with wrist pain from squats due to my lack of shoulder mobility. Last training session, I tried this new grip and fell in love with it! I completed all of my sets without any wrist pain. When I first learned about this technique, I was skeptical if it would stay secure. However, I was able to control the bar with each rep that I performed. I would recommend that you try this grip if you are having wrist pain, even with a thumbless grip.
[quoted image]

I haven’t tried it, but quite a few people at my gym have switched to it and like it. I am trying to keep my shoulders healthy for bench and overhead pressing, so I only squat with the safety squat bar these days.

1 month later
#216 5 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

My daughters have kept me going! It's been slow and steady. Just hit 245. End of year 250lb Goal is still possible. I know this is small potatoes for most of you guys but hopefully some are encouraged to get back to it.[quoted image]

What are the kids lifting on bench? You know that feeling you had the first time you hit 2 plates, then 3 plates? Small girls like that feel exactly the same the first time they hit one plate. It is fun to watch. Most girls never seem to want to lift more than a dime or two, but they are easily capable of more. There are a couple of girls at my gym getting pretty close to 2 plates now.

1 week later
#224 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Well I don't compete so I think it's fantastic. But don't most powerlifting competitions allow the spotter to lift and position the bar? I was talking to a guy who does compete and was mad beacasue at his last meet the spotter brought the bar out too far and it threw him off.
Had a new PR on bench yesterday...7 reps with 240lbs.

Monolifts are just for squats. They make it so the lifter doesn’t waste energy walking it out. Anyone who can squat the eight on the bar can fairly easily walk it out, so I don’t think there is a huge difference.

On bench, some federations have one of their people lift off for all of the lifters. This can definitely suck if they don’t lift off like you are used to. Other feds make you bring your own lift off guy, or you have to unrack it yourself.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Real men unrack the weight themselves.

Imagine if this happens while you are lifting that bar over your face. You can be a real man all you want. Just catch it on video if shit goes wrong.

1 week later
#240 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I have a question? What do you consider a legit bench press? I always touched the bar to my chest before pushing it back up, but see guys lowering it inches before hitting there chest and raising it back up. When exercising i wouldnt think it really matters but while lifting heavy it seems like cheating if your that far away?

In competition, the bar has to touch your chest, and you have to pause there until the judge tells you to press. He makes sure that all movement has stopped. To me, that is a legit bench press. For gym lifting, I count touch and go as well. Anything else is just a training variation.

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

I understand your point. I have no problem with using spotters in a competition where you will probably be pushing your limits to the max. In my opinion though, you should not rely on a spotter in training. If you can only unrack the bar with the help of another person, then you really didn't lift it 100% by yourself. To me it is a matter of pride. In this man's case, he could have prevented this from happening. He could have called for the spotter earlier, he could/should have lowered the bar back down to his chest instead of dropping it, he could have used a rack with safety pins as astropin mentioned, or he could have used any other number of safety devices. nexyss

Lifting off is not part of the lift in competition in any federation, so I don’t consider it part of the lift. The lift starts when the bar is out over your chest with your arms locked out, and it is complete when you are back to that position.

It is impressive to see someone unrack a heavy weight, and lift it. I am just not willing to risk it.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

I completely understand your point and have absolutely nothing against staying safe while lifting heavy weights. However with that logic, would it be considered fair to allow spotters to unrack the bar for you on squat. Picture having a guy at each end of the barbell pushing it up for you while a third person supports you from behind. If that were to happen, then you might as well compete in the equipped division. nexyss

It just wouldn’t be necessary on a squat. There is no dangerous movement going on with lifting it off the rack. Well, maybe dangerous, but probably not life threatening. Lifting off on bench is a terrible position for your shoulders, so I would think it is the most dangerous part, especially since you are lifting it over your face.

I think a lot of feds are using the monolift on squats because the walkout is not part of the lift. If you want people to try to lift the most weight possible, it makes sense to take out the unnecessary part that burns energy. Personally, I would probably walk out from a monolift to make sure I am set right. I would need to train using it for quite a while before I trusted an unloaded setup with max weight on my back. I probably should try it someday. My gym has 6 monolifts now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nexyss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powerlifters-of-pinside-?tu=nexyss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.