A4AD7E55-EA51-4F54-8F7A-A0B694EEFDB0 (resized).jpeg
506_large_image (resized).jpg
bench-press-back (resized).jpg
IMG_1504 (resized).jpg
IMG_1504 (resized).jpg
IMG_7797 (resized).jpg
20181126_153453 (resized).jpg
20181121_151726 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AVH7401.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi! I was interested to see if anyone on the forums is into powerlifting. I am a recreational lifter and I follow a strength-based/powerlifting program. Feel free to share your program/routine, PRs and numbers, training tips, lifestyle habits, etc.! I would love to hear how other people train, especially from people who compete.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I only got into basic lifting because pinball machines are heavy!
can only deadlift 280 but working towards 300 before I hit 40. But I'm not serious or anything, just train once a week.

Good luck on hitting 300! I bet you can easily accomplish this if you deadlift for low reps/heavy weight once or twice a week. I would recommend doing a warm-up set or two and then doing one work set. cait001

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

These days with raw/non raw benching, the numbers can seem biased. A benching shirt makes a huge difference.
I had a goal of benching 300# and was working towards it, about 10 years ago, got to 275# and could bench 185# 17 or 18 times with regularity. I was happy with those numbers until a guy walked up, probably weighed 220#, put 315# on the bar benched it 10 times, immediately took a plate off each end and benched that (225#) 10 times, re-racked the weights and walked away like it was nothing. No spotter, no fuss, no benching shirt just raw. I never talked about my bench numbers again after that.

KozMckPinball My advice: Never compare yourself to another lifter. Inspire yourself to be better than they are now and keep training hard! Never become complacent.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I was s bodybuilder in my mid 20s and was super strong and pretty dam big. I fell off for 10 years and didnt take care of myself. Im now 38 and found the gym again within the past year and half. I have been watching my diet and was working out 5 days a week for 2 hrs a day for the 5 months i was off during winter. I got back up to bench pressing over 350 and squatting 400 or so (never really maxed) and i dont really deadlift bc of lower back issues but did some repping of 315 pretty easy. Now that im back to my mowing business i can only make it few times every few weeks. Im probably in the best overall shape ive ever been in .... im not the 215 pound huge monster i once was (415 bench, 21in arms) ...but im happy at 196 and 18.5 inch arms and im just conditioned better. I lift with no help (raw category) Im looking so fwd to this winter and maybe even doing a meet or show......

Quoted from bigd1979:

In high school( 11th grade) i went to a state benchpress meet and wld of had the state record but wasnt clear on the rules at the time.

I do not compete, but I train raw for the sake of my pride. I only use a powerlifting belt for squats. Could you please tell me more about what happened at the competition? bigd1979

#12 5 years ago

I don't mean to sound rude, but I would prefer if this thread remained serious. I can enjoy joke, but please do not post on this topic if you are only here to be funny.

1099436_1 (resized).jpg1099436_1 (resized).jpg
#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’m no powerlifter, but I’ve got back into the gym. I’ve been hitting it hard and lifting 5 days a week. I run too and like to compete in 5k and 10k races. It’s easy to get out of going and come up with excuses, definitely takes dedication

Coz I used to run as well. I had to stop a month mainly due to my body not being able to handle it. I hope you continue to put in the hard work!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I need to get back into it. I was deadlifting 500, squatting 400, bench was a weak @ 255.
I've trained hard for years then my gym partner moved, my gym chained up the doors one day and I had a second kid. I haven't touched a weight in 6 months.
I'm a fat slob. I need to get back to it. I do have memberships to two gyms so does that count?

Deez I have never tested my max reps, but I believe that my bench is weak. I don't make excuses, but my scoliosis and long arms probably do not help me out under the bar.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Damn, I only ever got to 235 bench before I fell off. I was pretty happy with my dumbbell press, got up to 105's before I stopped working out on the regular. HATED!! leg day.
Usually work out maybe 2-3 days a week now, Not as religiously as before.

hocuslocus I powerlift three days a week and have a fourth day aside for working on my arm strength. I will tell you that you can make good strength gains if you only train three days a week and work both your upper and lower body each session. Rely on compound lifts if you do not want to lift several days a week.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep i got my lady in also and shes doing very well and is very strong.... her body is really changing and looks great. She was always a runner but has gotten more results from 1.5 years of weights than a lifetime of running. Its fun to lift togeather sometimes also and im glad my knowledge is getting passed on....

"A couple that sweats together, stays together"

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I benched 405 once upon a time, and could rep 300 easy. After many years of working out my shoulders started to get injured occasionaly, so i decided to stop with the heavy weight before i tore something and just get my excersise at work. Occasionally ill play with a bowflex which is the only equipment i have left beside dumbbells. And that 405 was excruciating, im 6'4 with a 6'9 wingspan.

wisefwumyogwave I do wonder how long I will be able to push myself. I plan on lifting until I am dead or disabled. While I am not as tall as you (6'2" and still growing), I can relate to height being a disadvantage on the bench.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

My best advice for someone who wants to start powerlifting, or Strongman, is to go to a gym where you can see and work out with those people. If you spend all of your time at a regular gym, you start thinking that a 300 pound deadlift is pretty strong. When you walk into my gym, you will find at least 10 women who can do that for reps. It is insane. When you see guys squatting 900 pounds, deadlifting 800 pounds, and benching nearly 600 pounds, it makes everything seem a little more possible.

Watching top competitors really puts you in your place, unfortunately.

#32 5 years ago

I want to hear your guys' opinions on mixed grip vs. hook grip for deadlifting. I use hook grip, myself, because I prefer going overhanded and mixed grip personally doesn't work for me because my right shoulder hangs lower than my left. Does anyone else prefer hook grip over mixed? To my knowledge, mixed is a lot more common.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I don't remember numbers now but I used to lift constantly had heart and back problems which derailed my intentions of competing in strong man competitions. I'm 6 foot 1 300 pounds. My avatar is not me, like so many people like to think.

My heart is not in the best condition, either, which is why I don't compete. I hope you are doing well, brother. Frippertron

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

One of my buddies can deadlift close to 900 with straps, but struggles at 750 due to grip. I want to cut up his straps every time I see him use them, because he only needs grip strength at this point.

Quoted from Deez:

My partner always used straps but I just thought that was a crutch and thought it screwed up my set up and focus.

I am anti-equipment. No disrespect to the man who can actually attempt a 900 lb. deadlift, but 750 to 900 is a bit of a gap. I remember there was a dude who benched pressed around 1,000 lbs. but he was wearing a bench shirt with just about every other piece of equipment available and with about 9 spotters. At this time I believe the raw bench record was around 700 lbs.. This dude's bench with a belt and wrist wraps was around 600, so the equipment gave him a 400 lb. increase, which is just ridiculous. Raw ftw!

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Ah, powerlifting. At 20 years old, it's behind me. I got too heavy, and not as strong as I imagined I would. My diet was rubbish.
I was regularly deadlifting around 450, but just shy of actually deadlifting a quarter ton. Always used straps and a belt.
Squatted 405 occasionally, always wrapped my knees. Never tested my ORM.
Started to get into Atlas Stones, towards the end of my "lifting things up," years.
It wasn't right for me. High Blood Pressure at 19 due to my size and heavy lifts just didn't suit me.

I have had two episodes of high blood pressure: one at 15 and one at 16 years old. I don't know how I am doing now since I have not had it checked anytime recently. @mistermoberg

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Same with pinball, same with anything really.

Always be humble

#51 5 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

3 years. 37yrs now weigh 155lb at 5'9". Dead 345 Clean 210, C&J 190, Front 245, back 270, bench 165 lol.

Be proud of yourself! Do you train routinely? You could improve your back squats if you cut out the front squats and only focus on those. I am not too happy with my benching ability, either. I am not a fan of olympic-style lifting, but that is none of my business if that is what you like. catboxer

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

At 54 I find cardio is way more important to me these days. I like watching Steve Austin’s broken skull ranch...good stuff

Cardio is important, but most people do not like doing it (especially running).

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I am not a power lifter, just a heavy lifter. I am not interested much in my 1 rep max as reps give me pump and size.

I could say the same thing, myself. I train like a powerlifter, but I have never tested my max reps.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

51 years old 5' 9" and 193 lbs (need to lose 20). Recently cranked up my workouts. Lifting 6 days a week. 3 days heavy (5 rep sets) one day off then 3 days light (10-15 reps). Right now my bench is still ahead of my squats and deads. I have a longer history of benching when I was younger but neglected my legs. Then it got worse when I started my career. Spent all day sitting in a chair or in my car. Got so bad that I was having knee and ankle issues due to muscle atrophy! When I started squatting I could only handle 115 lbs.
Now I'm up to (working sets) 230 bench, 225 squats and 225 deads.
All freeweights...in my basement with a rack.
Next plan is to cut my weight down into the 170's but at minimum maintain my lifts.

Don't be a "captain upper-body"! Astropin

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The other night, I did 3 sets of 6, with 185 pounds on the branch press itself...pretty cool since my doctor told me the day of surgery that I would never bench press again.

I respect that; I still lift even though doctors have told me not to. Trekkie1978

#66 5 years ago

Thank you to everyone who gave their opinion on mixed grip vs. hook grip. I also wanted to share a tip for when you use a overhanded grip on deadlifts: if you hold the bar closer to your fingers, instead of low in your palm, then you skin will not get as pinched as otherwise.
I also wanted to bring two other topics into the thread:
1. Calluses - I have had calluses since the day I started lifting. I don't mind them; I actually view them as a badge of honor. Does anyone else deal with them?
2. Fear/Nervousness of heavy lifts - I always feel nervous (not scared, my balls are too big to feel fear) before performing squats due to two back injuries I have experienced. Does anyone else feel uneasy when lifting heavy or when performing a particular lift?

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Thanks! I do like the oly stuff because I don’t want to put on mass for more strength and they require just as much work on form and movement. I train 3x a week, MWF. I hardly ever try to bench and I have never maxed my backsquat, I’m always off the rack with no cage. No belts, and I like the front squat. It comes into play catching cleans and standing back up. I only lift to stay in shape while drinking a ton of beers

I admire the technique and form that goes into olympic-style lifting. I have never liked front squats, myself. Keep up the hard work! catboxer

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Back in college, I was benching over 300 pounds. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I felt like a shell of my former self.
It’s so nice to get some strength back. My shoulder injury was 15 years of constant pain. 10 of those winters, I would be in physical therapy trying to fix it. All because when I broke my arm, the surgeon, aka butcher, touched my shoulder when he shouldn’t have. That is what lead to the rotator finally tearing. My 2nd surgery in 2006, was to fix the first surgery from 2002. My 2nd surgeon warned me, that I could have future problems due to the first surgery. 3rd surgeon is a magician in how he fixed me back in 2015.

I hope you feel better, brother. I deal with constant pain, myself. Trekkie1978

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Calluses- no big deal until the weight gets really heavy. If they build up a lot, you will eventually rip them off. I sand mine down with sandpaper, or an Emory board.
Nervousness - the only lift I am 100% comfortable on is bench. I will get under 500 pounds on bench no problem (using a slingshot for over load training), but I am nervous under 500 on squat. I just haven’t done it enough to be comfortable.
Here is the video of my 450 bench. Definitely not a paused comp lift. I missed this in my last comp, which is why my best comp bench is 424.
Here is the ugly 500 with the slingshot. Not sure why I tried for the second rep, there was no way that was going to happen. Lol

I checked out your Instagram the other day. I really admire the work you put in! Nexyss

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

That’s a big deal, get it checked. I have borderline BP and check daily with this
amazon.com link »

Quoted from kklank:

Serious? Go buy a blood pressure machine. Slide on the cuff, push a button and it tells you in 30 seconds. It's worth the investment of 65 bucks. Peace of mind.

I think my mother has one, but I have never used it. I have not had the best medical history and it is just something I deal with. Thank you for the advice and showing your concern. ovfdfireman kklank

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I have to admit it is hard to find the ambition to keep going when your not trying to get any stronger but I keep at it. In hindsight when I was a kid I wish I would have listened to all the old guys that would tell you to lift with your legs and not your back and I might not have messed my lower back up the way I did. I have twin 13 yr old boys and have been teaching them how to workout the proper way and how not to injure yourself by using good form. Anyway sorry for the long post

It is great to hear that you are teaching others from your own mistakes. I hope you are doing well. crlush

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

You guys need a Hardbody!

Cool reference, but this thread is for powerlifting, not bodybuilding. They are two separate activities.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I picked up a pin and loaded it into a truck before. It was big and awkward to lift, so now I use some leverage instead of just muscling it. I really just wanted to see if I could do it.

That is cool! Do you remember what game it was and how much it weighed? Nexyss

#95 5 years ago

Power bump

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Discipline. Intensity. Effort.
Do those 3 things everyday and you will be successful.
It’s 7am and I’m one of like 10 people at the gym on the 4th...just doing my stretching right now before I hit the treadmill.

I trained on the 4th last year but that was just because it was a workout day. This year, Independence Day lands on a rest day for me.

#100 5 years ago

Hello again, everybody! I would like to hear your opinions on supplements. Besides protein powder and maybe creatine, I think supplements are useless and not needed because you can get all the nutrients and energy you need from good quality food. When I am out of school, I eat an animal protein and a vegetable for the meal before my training session. I usually feel a lot better lifting when I eat a meal like that instead of the packed lunch I would take to school. What kind of supplements do you use, or are you against the use of them?

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Love to lift. In my mid forties and squat/ deadlift/overhead press/ bench every week. Deadlifting for low reps and heavy weight has cured all my back issues. If your back has pain (weakness). How would it get better (stronger) without training?
I love the stuff from Mark Rippatoe and Alan thrall on YouTube (starting strength).

Do you follow the Starting Strength program? Alan Thrall makes great informative videos that are educational and comical. TZBen

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I think they are all pretty much worthless. If anything does end up actually working, it is usually banned pretty quickly.
If you eat a lot of red meat, creatine will do nothing for you as you are already getting plenty from the meat. Protein powder can be convenient, but that is the only real benefit. Anything else will either do nothing, or very little. I wouldn't waste your money.
The only supplement I ever used that worked was Ultimate Orange back in the 90s. It gave me a ton of energy. Then it was banned, and they changed the formula. It didn't do anything after that.

Why was Ultimate Orange banned? As someone who does not compete, could you please explain to me how and why some supplements are banned (besides PEDs, of course)? Nexyss

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I take protein shakes (2-4) a day depending on things. Also take multi vitamin,fish oil and and glutamine and bcaa on workout days. The extra protein and your diet are the most important imo but the rest does help recovery. Also if your over 35 go get blood work done to see testosterone levels as they are super important for everyday life and especially building muscle and losing fat.

I agree, rest is very important. Especially if you train relatively early in the morning. I feel a lot more confident and energy-filled hitting the weights if I got decent sleep the night before.

#110 5 years ago

What do you do in a situation where you are traveling for an extended period of time and you still want to train? I have gone on a few vacations where I was not able to lift weights and I definitely lost some of my strength when I was finally able to get back into routine.

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Thinking about picking up an SSB (Safety Squat Bar)...anybody used one?

Quoted from Nexyss:

I think they are great. I am old and benched too much to have good mobility in my shoulders, so the ssb really helps me.
I am not sure what your budget is, but check out the transformer bar from kabuki strength. It is very versatile.

I have no experience with that type of equipment, but I wonder if a contraption like this would compromise your form. Even if you are not competing or planning to in the future, I would stick with the conventional, traditional way of squatting with a straight barbell. But that is just my take, I would listen to Nexyss rather than myself.
Nexyss Astropin

3 weeks later
#116 5 years ago

Does anyone do assistance work besides the big three and other compound lifts? I have a day dedicated to arm strength in which I do weighted chin-ups, weighted dips, barbell curls, and skullcrushers/tricep extensions.

#118 5 years ago

Earlier in this thread I brought up the topic of mixed grip vs. hook grip. I have used hook grip since switching from full grip, but yesterday was my first time trying mixed grip and I hit a new PR! I think I am fully committing to mixed grip now. For reference, I have always deadlifted completely raw and with no chalk.

2 weeks later
#122 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Just since posting that my deadlift has increased to 275lb working sets and around a 350 max. And that was with taking two weeks off for a vacation. Although I did switch to doing deads with a trap/hex bar.

Great progress. I am very routine and consistent with my lifting and find that if I miss two or more sessions, I lose some strength unfortunately.

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

You will probably want to start using chalk before you get too heavy. It helps, and is allowed in any powerlifting competition.
I hit a new PR on deadlift today, even though I used straps. I keep my grip strong doing farmers walks without straps, so for now, I am not going to risk my bicep tendon on mixed grip. If I decide to do a powerlifting comp again, I will go back to it.
Anyway, here is 600:

When did you start using a belt on deadlifts? I have never injured myself or felt any pain from doing deadlifts so I have chose not to wear a belt for now. Nexyss

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I use a belt for anything above 400. A belt is not used to protect your back. It is used to give you something to brace against. You protect your back by activating your core and pushing out. The belt just makes it easier to do that.

I understand that. I was wearing a belt during the time both of my injuries occurred, so I know that they are not a safety net. Nexyss

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

happy to share that I hit my goal of a 300 deadlift! As a woman, I wanted to say that I could lift a pinball machine.

Congratulations! Have fun slamming machines around. cait001
(P.S. Don't drop the weight or a pinball machine...)

#130 5 years ago

Bar position for squats: High bar or Low bar

Which method do you prefer?

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Low. I follow Mark Rippetoe for squats and find the low bar hold way more comfortable. I also squat as low as possible ("ass to the grass") and have no problems going well below parallel.

"Hip Drive!"... Rippetoe is an awesome man! I find it interesting that you can perform ATG squats from a low bar position. Most people can only go that low if they are in a high bar position with an upright torso. Anyways, go with whatever feels natural. Astropin

1 week later
#137 5 years ago

Could anyone here give me advice on meal prep? I want to eat a better lunch at school, specifically on my lifting days.

1 week later
#152 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Still shopping for new accurate plates. I've decided I really don't need (or care to pay for) Rogue's competition steel plates that are accurate to 10 grams. I'm not competing.
So I've narrowed down to a set of "Six Shooter" Rogue machined plates (accurate to within 1%) with an extra set of 45's thrown in for a total of 335lbs worth (I have one pair of 45's that I will be keeping that are both 45.4lbs).
OR
Fringe bumper plate set (custom set). Mostly their "Black Training Competition" plates. Very accurate and a total of 295lbs including four 45's. I like that their competition bumpers are very thin compared to most. The 45's are only a hair over 2" thick. I also like that they have a color stripe around the outer edge (blue for 45's green for 25's...etc...).
Price is very close between the two sets with the Rogue's being a little cheaper and including an additional 40lbs of weight. But the Fringe plates are thin bumpers which might be nice for quieter lifting...especially on deads.
decisions...decisions.

I have a Rogue barbell; I would recommend any of their weights. All of my weight plates are from the "Fitness Gear" line, which is a Dick's Sporting Goods exclusive. They are cheap plates imported from somewhere in Asia, most likely. They are probably a pound heavy or light, but if you are on a budget, $0.99 per pound is a hard to beat price for brand new plates. Astropin

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Just picked up a black zinc Ohio deadlift bar . I'm assuming most people won't care, but you guys likely will

I have the Rogue Black Zinc Ohio Power Bar; I would definitely recommend it!

#163 5 years ago

Has anyone ran Madcow 5x5/Bill Starr's 5x5 Intermediate Program? Tomorrow is my first day of running that program.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Quick update. In 17 months, I’m down 132 pounds. I’m 11 pounds lighter than college graduation weight and 9 pounds heavier than my high school weight. In high school, I never lifted. I have a lot more muscle today than I did when I was 18.

Congratulations! Keep up the good work, brother. Trekkie1978

2 weeks later
#174 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

for those of you who work out at home, have you ever taken what you felt was a dumb risk trying to bench a new PB without a spotter? Any stories?

I lift at home and I have a power rack. I bench press inside of the rack, but the safety bars can only go above or below my chest, so I can not make use of them when I bench press.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

?
That sucks but there are multiple ways to fix that. Raise the rack. Raise your bench (easiest). Get a new bench. Get a new rack. If the pins are only a little below your chest than that can still work. Compressing your chest a little is okay vs the bar being able to hit your neck.
I would never bench without safeties in place now. Seen to many accidents with benching.

Thank you for the advice. What I mean is that the two closet peg positions that I could slide the safety bars into are either below my chest (which would serve no purpose) or above my chest (which would prevent me from even bringing the bar to my chest because it would be blocked by the safety bars). I have an excellent bench, but I discovered that it wobbles a bit. I may disassemble it this weekend to make sure I put it together correctly. I would not consider a new rack either. Anyways, my bench is garbage and I have been working on getting perfect form for now. Best of luck to your bench! Astropin

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Is it just me or does anyone else say "fuck you" to the barbell before doing a heavy lift?

No, I respect my weights (I am being completely serious).

1 week later
#188 5 years ago

I like that you program for yourself. I also liked how you include a back off set at the end of your bench press routine. As you mentioned, StrongLifts 5x5 is a beginner's program built for people who have never lifted real weights before or are new to strength training/powerlifting. It was the first program I ran and I enjoyed it. By the way, do you only perform one lift per session? To my understanding, your last post made me think that you squat, bench, and dead lift on separate days. Astropin

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I have a "push" day, "pull" day and leg day. My main lifts are bench, squat and deadlift because I'm focusing on building those lifts.
After benching I will also do dips and some incline dumbbells, overhead press... then blast my triceps.
Pull day has been a little off lately since I'm dealing with a tendon injury. But I mix up lat pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, pullups, cable rows, landmine rows... then blast my biceps.
Leg day is focused on squats and deadlifts but I will mix in lunges, nordic curls (hamstrings) landmine squats (single leg) and a couple other movements.
I hit abs in different ways every workout.
Right now it's push day, pull day, day off, legs, day off, repeat.

Nice routine! I hope your injury heals soon and well. I know that being injured can really put you down, especially when it prevents you from training. Astropin

#195 5 years ago

Has anyone tried the three finger/eagle grip for squats? I have been dealing with wrist pain from squats due to my lack of shoulder mobility. Last training session, I tried this new grip and fell in love with it! I completed all of my sets without any wrist pain. When I first learned about this technique, I was skeptical if it would stay secure. However, I was able to control the bar with each rep that I performed. I would recommend that you try this grip if you are having wrist pain, even with a thumbless grip.

Three Finger Grip (resized).jpgThree Finger Grip (resized).jpg
#198 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Good timing...about to squat...I'll try it.

I would like to hear your opinion if you end up trying it. You place your index, middle, and ring finger above the bar and place your thumb and pinky finger under the bar. I discovered this grip in this video:

I did not watch the full video, I only watched the part where the man discusses grip and bar placement.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Okay...for whatever reason it didn't work for me. It created more flex in my wrist then my normal grip which is all five fingers on top/side of the bar. Something like this (but not exact):
[quoted image]
I'm just able to keep my wrist the straightest with this grip. I also normally wrap my wrists when I squat to avoid any possible/accidental over flexion. My wrists are very injury prone if I'm not careful. I really wrap them tight when I bench heavy.
And just for the heck of it, here is my deadlift setup:
[quoted image]

Thank your for responding. Just do whatever works for you, brother. I started using the grip I shared because I get over flexion with a full grip or thumbless grip. Remember to train hard, but stay safe. Astropin

3 weeks later
#201 5 years ago

Poll Question: Do you like to train with music, or do you prefer to train in silence?
I prefer training in silence, it helps me focus and engage in my reps more.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just want to give you guys a quick update. Not sure if anyone remembers what I wrote about for weight loss.
4/15/17 - 336 pounds
11/11/18 - 199 pounds
I think I have 15 more to go, until I am all the way done.

That is incredible, brother! What is your height? Trekkie1978

1 week later
#211 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

what kind of lifts do people find most worrisome for their knees?

Squats, if you don't pay attention to breaking parallel and/or pointing your toes out enough.

2 weeks later
#219 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Just picked up a Titan monolift for my rack. I love it for benching! Haven't tried it for squats, but I'm not sure I really need it for squats.
[quoted image]

Monolifts are controversial. Most federations do not use them in competition. The biggest argument that competitive lifters have against monolifts is that they do not require the lifter to walk out the weight. All records have been set by walking the weight out. Therefore, using a monolift may be seen as unfair because modern lifters could potentially handle heavier weight compared to the old school lifters because they would not have to walk it out.
Astropin

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

No one liked the monolift? I think it's Amazing! Also picked up the Rep fitness all stainless steel power bar on black Friday. What an amazing bar for the price.
[quoted image]

I have never used their barbells or weights, but my weight bench is a Rep Fitness product and it is the best bench I have ever used. Astropin

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

My daughters have kept me going! It's been slow and steady. Just hit 245. End of year 250lb Goal is still possible. I know this is small potatoes for most of you guys but hopefully some are encouraged to get back to it.[quoted image]

Hey, man that is not "small potatoes". I wish I could bench that much! pindel

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Other feds make you bring your own lift off guy, or you have to unrack it yourself.

Real men unrack the weight themselves.

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Imagine if this happens while you are lifting that bar over your face. You can be a real man all you want. Just catch it on video if shit goes wrong.

I understand your point. I have no problem with using spotters in a competition where you will probably be pushing your limits to the max. In my opinion though, you should not rely on a spotter in training. If you can only unrack the bar with the help of another person, then you really didn't lift it 100% by yourself. To me it is a matter of pride. In this man's case, he could have prevented this from happening. He could have called for the spotter earlier, he could/should have lowered the bar back down to his chest instead of dropping it, he could have used a rack with safety pins as astropin mentioned, or he could have used any other number of safety devices. Nexyss

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from Push600:

Incorrect. I’ve never heard of them being controversial. They’re always used at the highest level.

Yes, you are correct that they are used in some organizations and by many elite lifters. I was stating why monolifts have not become a new standard. I personally have nothing against monolifts. You may have not heard the debate about walking weight out. Push600

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Which is why I always bench inside a rack! Bench press is one of those rare lifts that can actually kill you with one mistake...no thanks.

I can't confirm this statement as a fact, but I read somewhere that twenty-five people die each year from a bench press accident.

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

But...I HATE reaching back for the bar on bench press. ...no pulling the bar into position.

The only time I have come close to having a bench press accident so far was when I was racking the bar after a set of bench press. I got one end of the barbell on the hook but the not the other side. I did not realize that both sides were racked so I let go of the bar. The left side of the barbell fell down to the side and hit the base of my power rack. Luckily, it did not touch my body. The situation could have ended up a lot worse.

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

For me it's always been touch and go. For training I often pause at my chest (not resting on my chest though), for 1-3 seconds. Not on every rep...I just sprinkle them in.
Competition benching needs to address the back arch! You should have some arch when you bench. But some of these competitors/contorsionist have taken it WAY to far. They need a height off the bench limit I think. Like no more than the height of a football...or something.

I touch and go since I don't compete right now, as well. Like Nexyss said, the bar must touch your chest. Otherwise, you did not complete a full range of motion and doing so should not even be called a "bench press". Could you explain why you have a problem with excessive arching? Arching takes the load off of your back/spine and makes your upper body tight and more activated. This is vital to performing a good heavy bench press. As long as your butt doesn't come off the bench, then arch as far as you can/like. But don't look like this guy... Astropin

bench-press-back (resized).jpgbench-press-back (resized).jpg
#244 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Lifting off is not part of the lift in competition in any federation, so I don’t consider it part of the lift. The lift starts when the bar is out over your chest with your arms locked out, and it is complete when you are back to that position.
It is impressive to see someone unrack a heavy weight, and lift it. I am just not willing to risk it.

I completely understand your point and have absolutely nothing against staying safe while lifting heavy weights. However with that logic, would it be considered fair to allow spotters to unrack the bar for you on squat. Picture having a guy at each end of the barbell pushing it up for you while a third person supports you from behind. If that were to happen, then you might as well compete in the equipped division. Nexyss

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I have no problem with arching...I arch. But I do have a problem with excessive arching (like in your picture). It's just absurd and not a real bench press at that point. They need to institute a height limit on the arch. Or maybe say the bar must travel at least "x" number of inches. A height limit would be easier.
Got a new PR on bench just yesterday...4 clean reps with 265. I've been following a powerlifting program called nSuns since December 1st. It's a lot of volume but seems to be working so far.

Congrats on hitting a new pr! I have increased my three rep max for bench press by ten pounds this month, myself. I have never heard of the nSuns program, so I may check it out. I have wrote my own intermediate program and may share it on this thread. I plan on making revisions to the program so I am going to wait for now before I share it online. For all I know, I might become the next Mehdi or Mark Rippetoe. Astropin

#248 5 years ago

Santa placed a copy of Practical Programming for Strength Training 3rd Edition by Mark Rippetoe under the tree yesterday. Is anyone else familiar with the book? I have only read the first chapter so far. Some of you may be familiar with Mark Rippetoe for the Starting Strength program or the Texas Method.

506_large_image (resized).jpg506_large_image (resized).jpg
5 months later
#257 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So...it's been roughly 4 months since my last post. Took a vacation...took a "de-load" and then recently got back on the nSuns powerlifting program since it was working well before.
PR on bench this past week - 280 lbs for 4 clean reps. Puts my estimated at 310. Getting close to my "3-plate" goal.
Still Deadlifting 420 max....just kind of holding there...not really pushing it.
Making progress on my SSB squats. Got 3 clean reps at 275 which is where I was on back squats before switching to SSB. Seems like no matter what I do my bench is staying ahead of my squats and I've been really going hard on the squats. Just not my best lift I guess.

Quoted from Astropin:

I'll keep this alive...another PR on bench press...4 clean reps at 285. Felt like I might have been able to pull off 5 but I had a long workout in front of me.

Quoted from Astropin:

Man, I've just been killing it on bench press lately...not sure why but I'll go with it until I hit a plateau. I got 4 good reps at 290 lbs this week. That should equal a 316 lb max (315 has been my long term goal). Now If I can just get my squats to 315 I will have reached all of my big goals - 3 plate bench, 3 plate squat and 4 plate deadlift. Working on my (strict) overhead press as well. Up to 165 on that and would love to get to a bodyweight OHP. Not bad for a 52 year old.

I am proud of you, brother! Astropin

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

This thread is quiet for one reason. Most pinsiders are out of shape. I am not into powerlifting but I love running and pull ups. I also use some free weights by bowflex(select tech). I can do 100 real pull-ups in 25 minutes. I bought this awesome pull-up bar that has three different grip positions. I average 13-15 pull-ups per set at each different hand grip setting x 3. I weigh 168 and am 5’-8”.

To be honest, a lot of elite powerlifters could be considered "out of shape". They are clearly obese by BMI standards, and maybe body fat standards, but they sure can put up a ridiculous amount of weight. I would rather be super strong than have a magazine model physique. Multiballmaniac1

3 weeks later
#260 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Benched 300 lbs for 3 reps yesterday. I remember the last time I tried 300 I wasn't even close to pressing it.
On a bad note, I hurt myself for the first time on squats. It was during a 280 lbs set and I felt a strain in my left leg on that way up. That ended leg day. That being said it does not appear to be serious. Just two days later and it already feels a lot better...think I just lightly strained it; thankfully.

Congratulations! Be careful with the squats; I have had two back injuries that took me out of training for over a week. Lift heavy and stay safe! Astropin

1 week later
#270 4 years ago
Quoted from mdelorenzo:

I am built weird. I have shorter legs and a longer torso it seems. Squats are easy. Deads are not. I've been working my way back up to the 4 plate squat and can do 335 pretty easy on my last set. But deadlifting the same weight is difficult. Weird!

Long legs favors deadlifts, while short legs favors squats. mdelorenzo

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

when people here do squats what do you use on your shoulders? Are you just laying the bare bar across, using one of the padded bars, using other forms of padding assists?

You should place the bar bare on your back unless you have an injury or physical disability that prevents you from doing so. I like to follow Mark Rippetoe's advice: place the bar "right on top of the posterior delt". cait001

Squat Bar Position (resized).pngSquat Bar Position (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AVH7401.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powerlifters-of-pinside-?tu=AVH7401 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.