A4AD7E55-EA51-4F54-8F7A-A0B694EEFDB0 (resized).jpeg
506_large_image (resized).jpg
bench-press-back (resized).jpg
IMG_1504 (resized).jpg
IMG_1504 (resized).jpg
IMG_7797 (resized).jpg
20181126_153453 (resized).jpg
20181121_151726 (resized).jpg
There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 4 years ago

So...it's been roughly 4 months since my last post. Took a vacation...took a "de-load" and then recently got back on the nSuns powerlifting program since it was working well before.

PR on bench this past week - 280 lbs for 4 clean reps. Puts my estimated at 310. Getting close to my "3-plate" goal.
Still Deadlifting 420 max....just kind of holding there...not really pushing it.
Making progress on my SSB squats. Got 3 clean reps at 275 which is where I was on back squats before switching to SSB. Seems like no matter what I do my bench is staying ahead of my squats and I've been really going hard on the squats. Just not my best lift I guess.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So...it's been roughly 4 months since my last post. Took a vacation...took a "de-load" and then recently got back on the nSuns powerlifting program since it was working well before.
PR on bench this past week - 280 lbs for 4 clean reps. Puts my estimated at 310. Getting close to my "3-plate" goal.
Still Deadlifting 420 max....just kind of holding there...not really pushing it.
Making progress on my SSB squats. Got 3 clean reps at 275 which is where I was on back squats before switching to SSB. Seems like no matter what I do my bench is staying ahead of my squats and I've been really going hard on the squats. Just not my best lift I guess.

This thread is quiet for one reason. Most pinsiders are out of shape. I am not into powerlifting but I love running and pull ups. I also use some free weights by bowflex(select tech). I can do 100 real pull-ups in 25 minutes. I bought this awesome pull-up bar that has three different grip positions. I average 13-15 pull-ups per set at each different hand grip setting x 3. I weigh 168 and am 5’-8”.

2 weeks later
#253 4 years ago

I'll keep this alive...another PR on bench press...4 clean reps at 285. Felt like I might have been able to pull off 5 but I had a long workout in front of me.

#254 4 years ago

I benchpressed 175 which is my PR

#255 4 years ago

Man, I've just been killing it on bench press lately...not sure why but I'll go with it until I hit a plateau. I got 4 good reps at 290 lbs this week. That should equal a 316 lb max (315 has been my long term goal). Now If I can just get my squats to 315 I will have reached all of my big goals - 3 plate bench, 3 plate squat and 4 plate deadlift. Working on my (strict) overhead press as well. Up to 165 on that and would love to get to a bodyweight OHP. Not bad for a 52 year old.

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I benchpressed 175 which is my PR

I miss my college days...that weight is what I used to warmup.

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Quoted from Astropin:

I'll keep this alive...another PR on bench press...4 clean reps at 285. Felt like I might have been able to pull off 5 but I had a long workout in front of me.

Quoted from Astropin:

Man, I've just been killing it on bench press lately...not sure why but I'll go with it until I hit a plateau. I got 4 good reps at 290 lbs this week. That should equal a 316 lb max (315 has been my long term goal). Now If I can just get my squats to 315 I will have reached all of my big goals - 3 plate bench, 3 plate squat and 4 plate deadlift. Working on my (strict) overhead press as well. Up to 165 on that and would love to get to a bodyweight OHP. Not bad for a 52 year old.

I am proud of you, brother! Astropin

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

This thread is quiet for one reason. Most pinsiders are out of shape. I am not into powerlifting but I love running and pull ups. I also use some free weights by bowflex(select tech). I can do 100 real pull-ups in 25 minutes. I bought this awesome pull-up bar that has three different grip positions. I average 13-15 pull-ups per set at each different hand grip setting x 3. I weigh 168 and am 5’-8”.

To be honest, a lot of elite powerlifters could be considered "out of shape". They are clearly obese by BMI standards, and maybe body fat standards, but they sure can put up a ridiculous amount of weight. I would rather be super strong than have a magazine model physique. Multiballmaniac1

3 weeks later
#259 4 years ago

Benched 300 lbs for 3 reps yesterday. I remember the last time I tried 300 I wasn't even close to pressing it.

On a bad note, I hurt myself for the first time on squats. It was during a 280 lbs set and I felt a strain in my left leg on that way up. That ended leg day. That being said it does not appear to be serious. Just two days later and it already feels a lot better...think I just lightly strained it; thankfully.

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Benched 300 lbs for 3 reps yesterday. I remember the last time I tried 300 I wasn't even close to pressing it.
On a bad note, I hurt myself for the first time on squats. It was during a 280 lbs set and I felt a strain in my left leg on that way up. That ended leg day. That being said it does not appear to be serious. Just two days later and it already feels a lot better...think I just lightly strained it; thankfully.

Congratulations! Be careful with the squats; I have had two back injuries that took me out of training for over a week. Lift heavy and stay safe! Astropin

#261 4 years ago

Just found this thread. Powerlifter turned crossfitter here. My barbell experience transferred over to crossfit well and now I am doing ring and bar muscle ups, 100 pull ups at a time, large sets of toe 2 bar, etc... I'm in the best shape of my life at 42. I was benching 405 before crossfit but I have lost some of that now. My endurance is off the charts now. I have lost 30lbs, 240 to 210 in about 8 months of crossfit.

1 week later
#262 4 years ago

Put up 315 today! I was pretty sure I could do it since I put up 300x3 last week...but it doesn't count until you actually do it so:

http://www.kizoa.com/Movie-Video-Slideshow-Maker/d282853023k2572355o1l1/315---3-plate-bp

Arms a little shakey but it actually went up pretty smoothly. I think I might have been able to get two. But I was excited to hit this milestone and already celebrating in my head so decided not to go for a second rep. I'm pretty sure I could have done a little more.
Felt so good that I treated it as part of my normal bench routine and then continued to finish out the rest which included 3 reps at 285, 5 at 270, 3 at 250, 5 at 235, 3 at 225 and finished with 10 at 205...then went on to do close grip inclines. Feeling good today.

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Put up 315 today! I was pretty sure I could do it since I put up 300x3 last week...but it doesn't count until you actually do it so:
http://www.kizoa.com/Movie-Video-Slideshow-Maker/d282853023k2572355o1l1/315---3-plate-bp
Arms a little shakey but it actually went up pretty smoothly. I think I might have been able to get two. But I was excited to hit this milestone and already celebrating in my head so decided not to go for a second rep. I'm pretty sure I could have done a little more.
Felt so good that I treated it as part of my normal bench routine and then continued to finish out the rest which included 3 reps at 285, 5 at 270, 3 at 250, 5 at 235, 3 at 225 and finished with 10 at 205...then went on to do close grip inclines. Feeling good today.

Easy dude, you could have knocked out another.

#264 4 years ago

I am built weird. I have shorter legs and a longer torso it seems. Squats are easy. Deads are not. I've been working my way back up to the 4 plate squat and can do 335 pretty easy on my last set. But deadlifting the same weight is difficult. Weird!

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from mdelorenzo:

I am built weird. I have shorter legs and a longer torso it seems. Squats are easy. Deads are not. I've been working my way back up to the 4 plate squat and can do 335 pretty easy on my last set. But deadlifting the same weight is difficult. Weird!

I'm your polar opposite...deads come pretty easy...squats are my bane. I can actually bench more than I can squat! I have a short torso and longish arms.

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm your polar opposite...deads come pretty easy...squats are my bane. I can actually bench more than I can squat! I have a short torso and longish arms.

We could combine our bodies into one proper lifter.

#267 4 years ago

when people here do squats what do you use on your shoulders? Are you just laying the bare bar across, using one of the padded bars, using other forms of padding assists?

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

when people here do squats what do you use on your shoulders? Are you just laying the bare bar across, using one of the padded bars, using other forms of padding assists?

I just use the bar. It shouldn't really hurt if it is in place correctly. I do have some rough skin / weak callous' where the grippy part of the bar meets the back of my shoulders.

I'm no expert but I think folks use the pads because the bar hurts, because they don't have the bar positioned correctly and are thus doing the squat incorrectly. Probably a highbar style but sitting on their bones haha. Ouch!

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

sounds like you are to high on your neck. Try resting the bar a little further back on your traps.

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from mdelorenzo:

Long legs favors deadlifts, while short legs favors squats. mdelorenzo

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

You should place the bar bare on your back unless you have an injury or physical disability that prevents you from doing so. I like to follow Mark Rippetoe's advice: place the bar "right on top of the posterior delt". cait001

Squat Bar Position (resized).pngSquat Bar Position (resized).png
#272 4 years ago

thanks for the tips, everyone. That placement is way better, but also I think it was the bar I was using had a very fresh grip and was digging in to me a bit. I'm enjoying the squats.

#273 4 years ago

I bought a new bench press rack with the spotter bars, been working out with my 15 yr old trying to get him up to 200lbs before the end of summer, had him up to 175lbs but we started slacking because we were busy and I needed my other son to help lift the bar because we were using an non Olympic size bench. I had him working this program a guy at work had been doing for years and has worked quite well, he was gaining 5-10 lbs a week. I have been doing it with him in the hopes of benching 300, we will see how it goes.

#274 4 years ago

Dicks had this on sale 20% off cost me 170 bucks, its not the greatest but allot safer than what we had. Here is a pic of the workout table we have been following, (sorry pic is blurry).

20190715_082741 (resized).jpg20190715_082741 (resized).jpg20190715_082801 (resized).jpg20190715_082801 (resized).jpg
8 months later
#275 4 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

At the beginning of summer, my kids wanted to get a gym membership to do squats. I instead purchased a rack( amazon.com link » ) to do at home. I joined in with them and started to bench for the first time in 25-30 years(51 now). In HS football I did around 315lbs. I had no idea what i was capable of at this age so set a summer goal of 185-225. I have been doing half marathons over the last year so was in good cardio shape. First starting my bench was 165. I didn't want to hurt myself going too heavy. By the end of the week I was at 175. 10 weeks later which was last week I hit 230lbs. I'm so happy I was able to get back into it. My 3 kids and I have a great time working out together & I have more daily energy. I run about 100 miles a month to maintain for 1/2 marathons. Eating mostly rotisserie chicken rice, eggs, and beef seems to give me energy. I would encourage all you 50+ year olds to jump back into it. The rack is perfect and I loaded up on weights from Play-it-again Sports. Age 51, body weight is 165-170. My body weight is down from 185-190 before running again over a year ago. My new bench goal is 250 this year. I would recommend the Stronglifts 5X5 app. It is a nice addition to my normal workout. App is free and includes how-to videos on form.
[quoted image][quoted image]

update 1yr later: I increased a little and fell back for almost 6+ months even with steady workouts. Then recently I started getting stronger with my benchpress. Two key things That seemed to turn it around. First was realizing benchpress every 4 days was optimal. 2nd was a change in diet. I found high protein Sea bass fish provided more energy. Finally hit my normal workout with a new max of 250lbs.

572B5503-6A57-4CAF-9948-F4EDB2FA58A5 (resized).jpeg572B5503-6A57-4CAF-9948-F4EDB2FA58A5 (resized).jpeg
11 months later
#276 3 years ago

I got into lifting again during the lockdown. Noticed that weights were going for crazy stupid prices so sold most of my remaining weights for 3-10x what I paid for them and I had a line of people waiting to buy them!
Got lucky and got the powerblock dumbbells when they were in stock, and the sale of my old plates covered them and then some. I’ve always wanted a set but never could pull the trigger.
Got the 90lb expansion set, ran about $650 with shipping.
I absolutely love them, I use them 3 days a week, twice a week doing upper body and once a week for legs doing things like lunges, goblet squats and deadlifts.
Really nice for drop sets, did some shoulder drop sets with them the other day and couldn’t even lift my arms over my head after!
I’m up to 80s for 10 flat bench, 90s for 6. I’m benching 245 on a regular bar right now and 200 for 10 for comparison. 90lbs per hand is the heaviest this model goes but I’ve seen where people add up to 4-2.5 plate mates to each dumbbell getting them up to an even 100lbs per hand. I’ll give that a try if I can get up to doing the 90s for 3 sets of 10. If you’ve ever thought about buying a set I would highly recommend it. This set and an adjustable bench is all the weightlifting gear I’ll ever need.

1 year later
#277 1 year ago

I haven't chimed in here in over three years. 55 now and still 190 lbs and holding. Can still bench and squat 315 and my deads are up to 500. Did a set of 10 with 400 lbs the other day. Injuries still keep creeping in...mostly tendons, which are a pain in the ass. I've been squating with a Buffalo (or Bison) bar and really like it...easier on the shoulders. Recently added and started doing boxing workouts with something called a LITEBOXER. I like it. I've always hated doing cardio so the Liteboxer is a nice/fun way to add some in.

#278 1 year ago

I gave up weightlifting during the pandemic. Unsure if I'll get back to it, because I like my home workout routine. Was able to do a 300 deadlift and was happy with that because duh of course I measure my success in being able to lift a pinball machine... but never got up the strength to try for a JJP lift.
My primary focus now is avoiding injury, and all that entails.

3 weeks later
#279 1 year ago

My twin boys are 18 now, my one kid can do 305 while doing the bench press workout I posted, I got up to 290, would like to get to 300 just to say I did but I'm almost 52 and really just trying to maintain what I have and not injure myself. My son's been into wrestling from when he was 9yrs old and I still go to the gym with him to mostly help him out and keep him from slacking, he worked hard to get where he is at as he struggled with his strength and had to work his ass off to get as strong as he is, my other son is naturally strong, hardly works out as he is not into sports after going into high school and can pick up a ton and bench over 200lbs without ever working out.

6 months later
#280 8 months ago

This thread too quiet. I guess we know why.

2 weeks later
#281 8 months ago

I never saw this thread. I was a powerlifter/gym-rat most of my life. I tore up my shoulders from years of heavy military presses, heavy bench, and humping 100+ lbs rucksacks for untold miles in the Army. I am 2.5 months into shoulder surgery recovery and hope to hit the plates again soon. It has sucked not being able to lift all these of these years, but I just didn't want the hassle of dealing with the long recovery. Now that I am 53, I am certain that I will never, ever see +400 bench or +600 squats again but it will be good to get some size and strength back. To be honest, if I can hear a 3 plate rattle of 315 again even if its just for a single, I will be tickled pink.

#282 8 months ago

Double post tyring to edit.

1 week later
#283 7 months ago

Still lifting 4-5 days a week. Had minor surgery on my upper back (melanoma...get checked)...so that knocked a few weeks out, but already back into my normal routine.

There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powerlifters-of-pinside-/page/6?hl=avh7401 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.