A4AD7E55-EA51-4F54-8F7A-A0B694EEFDB0 (resized).jpeg
506_large_image (resized).jpg
bench-press-back (resized).jpg
IMG_1504 (resized).jpg
IMG_1504 (resized).jpg
IMG_7797 (resized).jpg
20181126_153453 (resized).jpg
20181121_151726 (resized).jpg
There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 5 years ago

Poll Question: Do you like to train with music, or do you prefer to train in silence?
I prefer training in silence, it helps me focus and engage in my reps more.

#202 5 years ago

Fairly loud (but not ear damaging) hard rock. I specifically look for certain songs for my heavy sets. I can lift without it, but definitely get something extra with the music. It does not ruin my concentration on good form at all.

#203 5 years ago

Just want to give you guys a quick update. Not sure if anyone remembers what I wrote about for weight loss.

4/15/17 - 336 pounds

11/11/18 - 199 pounds

I think I have 15 more to go, until I am all the way done.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just want to give you guys a quick update. Not sure if anyone remembers what I wrote about for weight loss.
4/15/17 - 336 pounds
11/11/18 - 199 pounds
I think I have 15 more to go, until I am all the way done.

That is incredible, brother! What is your height? Trekkie1978

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

That is incredible, brother! What is your height? trekkie1978

5’ 7”

I can never get down to like 160, I’m built too big for it.

#206 5 years ago

Down to 197....far enough under 200 that I won’t need to worry about any fluctuations to put me temporarily over 200.

Last time I was this light, was when I started college in August 1996. I was 195 when I started.

However, I didn’t lift before I started college...so I’m in much better shape today than when I started.

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Down to 197....far enough under 200 that I won’t need to worry about any fluctuations to put me temporarily over 200.
Last time I was this light, was when I started college in August 1996. I was 195 when I started.
However, I didn’t lift before I started college...so I’m in much better shape today than when I started.

Fantastic job! You probably just added a decade to your life expectancy.

#208 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Did you ever max on bench raw? I am always curious what the difference is. I have talked to some people who got 300 pounds out of their shirt.

Best raw was my best raw was #490. They’re getting over #200 out of those stupid shirts now.

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from Push600:

Best raw was my best raw was #490. They’re getting over #200 out of those stupid shirts now.

I really don't get the whole "shirt" thing....wtf? How did that ever happen? Raw is the only thing that makes sense.

Now arching I get...but they really need to limit how much you can arch...its gotten beyond carried away.

#210 5 years ago

what kind of lifts do people find most worrisome for their knees?

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

what kind of lifts do people find most worrisome for their knees?

Squats, if you don't pay attention to breaking parallel and/or pointing your toes out enough.

#212 5 years ago

Squats is what I’m most careful with after two ACL reconstructions from sports in college. I never go below parallel and keep weight range at 10 rep sets to limit stress on my knees. I’ve been doing that since I was 30 (50 now) and haven’t had any issues with the knees from lifting.

#213 5 years ago

Just picked up a Titan monolift for my rack. I love it for benching! Haven't tried it for squats, but I'm not sure I really need it for squats.

20181121_151726 (resized).jpg20181121_151726 (resized).jpg

#214 5 years ago

No one liked the monolift? I think it's Amazing! Also picked up the Rep fitness all stainless steel power bar on black Friday. What an amazing bar for the price.

20181126_153453 (resized).jpg20181126_153453 (resized).jpg

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

At the beginning of summer, my kids wanted to get a gym membership to do squats. I instead purchased a rack( amazon.com link » ) to do at home. I joined in with them and started to bench for the first time in 25-30 years(51 now). In HS football I did around 315lbs. I had no idea what i was capable of at this age so set a summer goal of 185-225. I have been doing half marathons over the last year so was in good cardio shape. First starting my bench was 165. I didn't want to hurt myself going too heavy. By the end of the week I was at 175. 10 weeks later which was last week I hit 230lbs. I'm so happy I was able to get back into it. My 3 kids and I have a great time working out together & I have more daily energy. I run about 100 miles a month to maintain for 1/2 marathons. Eating mostly rotisserie chicken rice, eggs, and beef seems to give me energy. I would encourage all you 50+ year olds to jump back into it. The rack is perfect and I loaded up on weights from Play-it-again Sports. Age 51, body weight is 165-170. My body weight is down from 185-190 before running again over a year ago. My new bench goal is 250 this year. I would recommend the Stronglifts 5X5 app. It is a nice addition to my normal workout. App is free and includes how-to videos on form.
[quoted image][quoted image]

My daughters have kept me going! It's been slow and steady. Just hit 245. End of year 250lb Goal is still possible. I know this is small potatoes for most of you guys but hopefully some are encouraged to get back to it.

IMG_7797 (resized).jpgIMG_7797 (resized).jpg
#216 5 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

My daughters have kept me going! It's been slow and steady. Just hit 245. End of year 250lb Goal is still possible. I know this is small potatoes for most of you guys but hopefully some are encouraged to get back to it.[quoted image]

What are the kids lifting on bench? You know that feeling you had the first time you hit 2 plates, then 3 plates? Small girls like that feel exactly the same the first time they hit one plate. It is fun to watch. Most girls never seem to want to lift more than a dime or two, but they are easily capable of more. There are a couple of girls at my gym getting pretty close to 2 plates now.

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That's amazing progress. Did your strength gains taper off after awhile? I've been lifting while losing weight and while I made great gains at the beginning, they've really slowed. From what I gathered it's hard to gain strength while cutting.

Also want to say that if anyone is on the fence when it comes to adjustable dumbbells, Powerblocks are worth every penny.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

That's amazing progress. Did your strength gains taper off after awhile? I've been lifting while losing weight and while I made great gains at the beginning, they've really slowed. From what I gathered it's hard to gain strength while cutting.
Also want to say that if anyone is on the fence when it comes to adjustable dumbbells, Powerblocks are worth every penny.

My strength progress really stalled when I started my Dopey Challenge training back in August. The strength gains are coming back now. Guess my body finally adapted to the amount of miles I’m running every week.

1 week later
#219 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Just picked up a Titan monolift for my rack. I love it for benching! Haven't tried it for squats, but I'm not sure I really need it for squats.
[quoted image]

Monolifts are controversial. Most federations do not use them in competition. The biggest argument that competitive lifters have against monolifts is that they do not require the lifter to walk out the weight. All records have been set by walking the weight out. Therefore, using a monolift may be seen as unfair because modern lifters could potentially handle heavier weight compared to the old school lifters because they would not have to walk it out.
Astropin

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

No one liked the monolift? I think it's Amazing! Also picked up the Rep fitness all stainless steel power bar on black Friday. What an amazing bar for the price.
[quoted image]

I have never used their barbells or weights, but my weight bench is a Rep Fitness product and it is the best bench I have ever used. Astropin

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

My daughters have kept me going! It's been slow and steady. Just hit 245. End of year 250lb Goal is still possible. I know this is small potatoes for most of you guys but hopefully some are encouraged to get back to it.[quoted image]

Hey, man that is not "small potatoes". I wish I could bench that much! pindel

#222 5 years ago

Well i lifted logs on a daily basis (lumberjack) and i also lift pinballs, that enough?

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Monolifts are controversial. Most federations do not use them in competition. The biggest argument that competitive lifters have against monolifts is that they do not require the lifter to walk out the weight. All records have been set by walking the weight out. Therefore, using a monolift may be seen as unfair because modern lifters could potentially handle heavier weight compared to the old school lifters because they would not have to walk it out.
astropin

Well I don't compete so I think it's fantastic. But don't most powerlifting competitions allow the spotter to lift and position the bar? I was talking to a guy who does compete and was mad beacasue at his last meet the spotter brought the bar out too far and it threw him off.

Had a new PR on bench yesterday...7 reps with 240lbs.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Well I don't compete so I think it's fantastic. But don't most powerlifting competitions allow the spotter to lift and position the bar? I was talking to a guy who does compete and was mad beacasue at his last meet the spotter brought the bar out too far and it threw him off.
Had a new PR on bench yesterday...7 reps with 240lbs.

Monolifts are just for squats. They make it so the lifter doesn’t waste energy walking it out. Anyone who can squat the eight on the bar can fairly easily walk it out, so I don’t think there is a huge difference.

On bench, some federations have one of their people lift off for all of the lifters. This can definitely suck if they don’t lift off like you are used to. Other feds make you bring your own lift off guy, or you have to unrack it yourself.

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Other feds make you bring your own lift off guy, or you have to unrack it yourself.

Real men unrack the weight themselves.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Real men unrack the weight themselves.

Imagine if this happens while you are lifting that bar over your face. You can be a real man all you want. Just catch it on video if shit goes wrong.

#227 5 years ago

Sheesh thats a-lot of weight, I dont think I could even help him lift it off the rack for him or help him much if something like that goes wrong, looks like he was focused to much on pushing and not enough gripping, theres another good youtube fail of a guy with his thumbs under the bar benching and when he picks it up the bar rolls right down his arm on his chest.

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I really don't get the whole "shirt" thing....wtf? How did that ever happen? Raw is the only thing that makes sense.
Now arching I get...but they really need to limit how much you can arch...its gotten beyond carried away.

Absolutely!!!

#229 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

astropin

Incorrect. I’ve never heard of them being controversial. They’re always used at the highest level.

#230 5 years ago

I competed in a few strongman competitions in college. Spent 10 years competing in grip (hand strength) contests. Won a few local comps. Did my first armwrestling comp last winter, won left hand amateur class.
Did my first pinball tournament this past weekend and after 15 years of dabbling in strength sports I think I found my new competitive outlet. It was the most fun I've had at a competition. I'll still lift weights but just to stay in shape and be healthy from now on.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Imagine if this happens while you are lifting that bar over your face. You can be a real man all you want. Just catch it on video if shit goes wrong.

Which is why I always bench inside a rack! Bench press is one of those rare lifts that can actually kill you with one mistake...no thanks.

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Monolifts are just for squats.

Originally yes...but not anymore. I'm not yet squatting weights that I can't "walk out"...probably never will. But...I HATE reaching back for the bar on bench press. Especially when I'm doing heavy (95% of my 1RM) sets. Now I can get set up perfectly under the bar and just press up and then come straight down...no pulling the bar into position.

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I understand your point. I have no problem with using spotters in a competition where you will probably be pushing your limits to the max. In my opinion though, you should not rely on a spotter in training. If you can only unrack the bar with the help of another person, then you really didn't lift it 100% by yourself. To me it is a matter of pride. In this man's case, he could have prevented this from happening. He could have called for the spotter earlier, he could/should have lowered the bar back down to his chest instead of dropping it, he could have used a rack with safety pins as astropin mentioned, or he could have used any other number of safety devices. Nexyss

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from Push600:

Incorrect. I’ve never heard of them being controversial. They’re always used at the highest level.

Yes, you are correct that they are used in some organizations and by many elite lifters. I was stating why monolifts have not become a new standard. I personally have nothing against monolifts. You may have not heard the debate about walking weight out. Push600

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Which is why I always bench inside a rack! Bench press is one of those rare lifts that can actually kill you with one mistake...no thanks.

I can't confirm this statement as a fact, but I read somewhere that twenty-five people die each year from a bench press accident.

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

But...I HATE reaching back for the bar on bench press. ...no pulling the bar into position.

The only time I have come close to having a bench press accident so far was when I was racking the bar after a set of bench press. I got one end of the barbell on the hook but the not the other side. I did not realize that both sides were racked so I let go of the bar. The left side of the barbell fell down to the side and hit the base of my power rack. Luckily, it did not touch my body. The situation could have ended up a lot worse.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

What are the kids lifting on bench? You know that feeling you had the first time you hit 2 plates, then 3 plates? Small girls like that feel exactly the same the first time they hit one plate. It is fun to watch. Most girls never seem to want to lift more than a dime or two, but they are easily capable of more. There are a couple of girls at my gym getting pretty close to 2 plates now.

I know what you mean. They are not super big on bench yet. They are into squats and deadlift.

IMG_1504 (resized).jpgIMG_1504 (resized).jpg
#238 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

In this man's case, he could have prevented this from happening. He could have called for the spotter earlier, he could/should have lowered the bar back down to his chest instead of dropping it

That's the thing... he didn't drop it on purpose... it just happened. A spotter can't help you when that happens. Which is why I only bench in a rack with safeties. I've never dropped... doesn't mean it can't happen.

#239 5 years ago

I have a question? What do you consider a legit bench press? I always touched the bar to my chest before pushing it back up, but see guys lowering it inches before hitting there chest and raising it back up. When exercising i wouldnt think it really matters but while lifting heavy it seems like cheating if your that far away?

#240 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I have a question? What do you consider a legit bench press? I always touched the bar to my chest before pushing it back up, but see guys lowering it inches before hitting there chest and raising it back up. When exercising i wouldnt think it really matters but while lifting heavy it seems like cheating if your that far away?

In competition, the bar has to touch your chest, and you have to pause there until the judge tells you to press. He makes sure that all movement has stopped. To me, that is a legit bench press. For gym lifting, I count touch and go as well. Anything else is just a training variation.

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

I understand your point. I have no problem with using spotters in a competition where you will probably be pushing your limits to the max. In my opinion though, you should not rely on a spotter in training. If you can only unrack the bar with the help of another person, then you really didn't lift it 100% by yourself. To me it is a matter of pride. In this man's case, he could have prevented this from happening. He could have called for the spotter earlier, he could/should have lowered the bar back down to his chest instead of dropping it, he could have used a rack with safety pins as astropin mentioned, or he could have used any other number of safety devices. nexyss

Lifting off is not part of the lift in competition in any federation, so I don’t consider it part of the lift. The lift starts when the bar is out over your chest with your arms locked out, and it is complete when you are back to that position.

It is impressive to see someone unrack a heavy weight, and lift it. I am just not willing to risk it.

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

For me it's always been touch and go. For training I often pause at my chest (not resting on my chest though), for 1-3 seconds. Not on every rep...I just sprinkle them in.

Competition benching needs to address the back arch! You should have some arch when you bench. But some of these competitors/contorsionist have taken it WAY to far. They need a height off the bench limit I think. Like no more than the height of a football...or something.

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

For me it's always been touch and go. For training I often pause at my chest (not resting on my chest though), for 1-3 seconds. Not on every rep...I just sprinkle them in.
Competition benching needs to address the back arch! You should have some arch when you bench. But some of these competitors/contorsionist have taken it WAY to far. They need a height off the bench limit I think. Like no more than the height of a football...or something.

I touch and go since I don't compete right now, as well. Like Nexyss said, the bar must touch your chest. Otherwise, you did not complete a full range of motion and doing so should not even be called a "bench press". Could you explain why you have a problem with excessive arching? Arching takes the load off of your back/spine and makes your upper body tight and more activated. This is vital to performing a good heavy bench press. As long as your butt doesn't come off the bench, then arch as far as you can/like. But don't look like this guy... Astropin

bench-press-back (resized).jpgbench-press-back (resized).jpg
#244 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Lifting off is not part of the lift in competition in any federation, so I don’t consider it part of the lift. The lift starts when the bar is out over your chest with your arms locked out, and it is complete when you are back to that position.
It is impressive to see someone unrack a heavy weight, and lift it. I am just not willing to risk it.

I completely understand your point and have absolutely nothing against staying safe while lifting heavy weights. However with that logic, would it be considered fair to allow spotters to unrack the bar for you on squat. Picture having a guy at each end of the barbell pushing it up for you while a third person supports you from behind. If that were to happen, then you might as well compete in the equipped division. Nexyss

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

I completely understand your point and have absolutely nothing against staying safe while lifting heavy weights. However with that logic, would it be considered fair to allow spotters to unrack the bar for you on squat. Picture having a guy at each end of the barbell pushing it up for you while a third person supports you from behind. If that were to happen, then you might as well compete in the equipped division. nexyss

It just wouldn’t be necessary on a squat. There is no dangerous movement going on with lifting it off the rack. Well, maybe dangerous, but probably not life threatening. Lifting off on bench is a terrible position for your shoulders, so I would think it is the most dangerous part, especially since you are lifting it over your face.

I think a lot of feds are using the monolift on squats because the walkout is not part of the lift. If you want people to try to lift the most weight possible, it makes sense to take out the unnecessary part that burns energy. Personally, I would probably walk out from a monolift to make sure I am set right. I would need to train using it for quite a while before I trusted an unloaded setup with max weight on my back. I probably should try it someday. My gym has 6 monolifts now.

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Could you explain why you have a problem with excessive arching? Arching takes the load off of your back/spine and makes your upper body tight and more activated. This is vital to performing a good heavy bench press. As long as your butt doesn't come off the bench, then arch as far as you can/like. But don't look like this guy... astropin

I have no problem with arching...I arch. But I do have a problem with excessive arching (like in your picture). It's just absurd and not a real bench press at that point. They need to institute a height limit on the arch. Or maybe say the bar must travel at least "x" number of inches. A height limit would be easier.

Got a new PR on bench just yesterday...4 clean reps with 265. I've been following a powerlifting program called nSuns since December 1st. It's a lot of volume but seems to be working so far.

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I have no problem with arching...I arch. But I do have a problem with excessive arching (like in your picture). It's just absurd and not a real bench press at that point. They need to institute a height limit on the arch. Or maybe say the bar must travel at least "x" number of inches. A height limit would be easier.
Got a new PR on bench just yesterday...4 clean reps with 265. I've been following a powerlifting program called nSuns since December 1st. It's a lot of volume but seems to be working so far.

Congrats on hitting a new pr! I have increased my three rep max for bench press by ten pounds this month, myself. I have never heard of the nSuns program, so I may check it out. I have wrote my own intermediate program and may share it on this thread. I plan on making revisions to the program so I am going to wait for now before I share it online. For all I know, I might become the next Mehdi or Mark Rippetoe. Astropin

#248 5 years ago

Santa placed a copy of Practical Programming for Strength Training 3rd Edition by Mark Rippetoe under the tree yesterday. Is anyone else familiar with the book? I have only read the first chapter so far. Some of you may be familiar with Mark Rippetoe for the Starting Strength program or the Texas Method.

506_large_image (resized).jpg506_large_image (resized).jpg
#249 5 years ago

Been working on my goal since Spring. Have lifted most of my life. As I’ve gotten older I’ve found I’ve had to adjust my routines and goals accordingly.

This year I turned 50 (about a week ago). Since trying to increase strength wasn’t likely anymore and having had my fair share of injuries and athletic related surgeries, I decided to try for a body fat goal. I’ve always been in shape and generally have hovered around 12-14% bf and 210lbs at 6’0”. I decided I would see if I could get under 10 at 50 and hold decent muscle mass. Wasn’t really sure what to expect as it’s been a while since I’ve had bf that low...

It took forever to get the first bit shaved. Once I started dropping, it went fast and I had to adjust to make sure I wasn’t shedding too much lean mass while dropping bf. For diet I went high protein shooting for 300+ grams a day and got my carbs from veggies primarily with minimal start hyperventilating intake. Fat was moderate and primarily came from the proteins I consumed. I also fasted nightly between 8PM and 7AM with 20 mins of cardio in the AM before I ate.

I’ve been working out a long time and primarily respond to volume. My workouts were 5 days per week, combo push pulls and all supersets with no rest. I work to keep my heart rate above 115 throughout my workouts which typically last about 55 minutes.

Well my birthday just came and went. I hit my goal a few weeks early but am Holding up my current weight for the last 3 1/2 weeks. I’m going to see if I can continue to refine into summer and maybe add back a few more pounds of lean mass. Here’s where I ended up

Height 6’0”
Weight 186lbs
BF 9.7% tested on Inmotion

Few lifts:
Bench 225 x 16 reps (I haven’t maxed out for years)
Pull-ups 24 body weight

This old man is pretty happy!

9FBAFDC8-078E-47AE-A320-C819963691FC (resized).jpeg9FBAFDC8-078E-47AE-A320-C819963691FC (resized).jpegA4AD7E55-EA51-4F54-8F7A-A0B694EEFDB0 (resized).jpegA4AD7E55-EA51-4F54-8F7A-A0B694EEFDB0 (resized).jpeg713BBC26-7E57-415B-B518-40ED5D7C2573 (resized).jpeg713BBC26-7E57-415B-B518-40ED5D7C2573 (resized).jpegBA923290-C19B-40C3-99B1-666D301FE5DA (resized).jpegBA923290-C19B-40C3-99B1-666D301FE5DA (resized).jpeg095874BB-5FD9-4D7C-A774-521C99C60EA4 (resized).jpeg095874BB-5FD9-4D7C-A774-521C99C60EA4 (resized).jpeg
#250 5 years ago

Got 275 for 3 reps on bench today. Still 5' 9" and still 190lbs. Deadlift is up to 420 max. Squats took a dip because I have switched to doing Safety Squat Bar (SSB) squats. I really like the SSB squats but they are like a cross between front and back squats. They do hit your quads more than back squats.

There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powerlifters-of-pinside-/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.