3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Toasterdog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

belkin conserve (resized).png
    original (resized).jpg
    F5053FFD-2364-4FD1-898E-22438A78BA60 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Does it make any difference powering pins on /off via the wall sockets and leaving the local switches perminantly in the on position?

#2 3 years ago

Arcades have done that for decades without issue. As long as the game is properly wired and grounded, it’s fine.

For bonus points, hook them up to smart plugs. That way you can ask Alexa to turn on a specific game, or the group. It’s actually fun. Some nights I flip them on from the car so I walk in to running games.

And of course, watch all the power draws and ratings.

#3 3 years ago

My pins are turned off and on by two wall switches. I haven't had an issue except for my WOZ getting powered cycled too quickly once.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Arcades have done that for decades without issue. As long as the game is properly wired and grounded, it’s fine.
    For bonus points, hook them up to smart plugs. That way you can ask Alexa to turn on a specific game, or the group. It’s actually fun. Some nights I flip them on from the car so I walk in to running games.
    And of course, watch all the power draws and ratings.

Nearly went with smart plugs but went with chunky wall switches in the end.

F5053FFD-2364-4FD1-898E-22438A78BA60 (resized).jpeg

#5 3 years ago

There is no greater feeling than turning on or shutting off a whole room of games via a breaker. I used to do it at an arcade I managed and I miss it.

Never has a game I worked with had a power issue from it. Never.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

There is no greater feeling than turning on or shutting off a whole room of games via a breaker. I used to do it at an arcade I managed and I miss it.
    Never has a game I worked with had a power issue from it. Never.

Contactors. Every place I worked at or owned had these. A wall switch for each contactor, each contactor could handle up to 30amps (we kept them at about 15 games a piece for in rush current).

Come in in the morning, throw a wall switch, and you get a nice heavy 'clunk' from the electrical cabinet, followed by a slew of chimes, dings, bongs, and clacks as the games all boot up.

#7 3 years ago

I wish I was old enough to appreciate the chimes and dings from ems.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I wish I was old enough to appreciate the chimes and dings from ems.

Why does age have anything to do with appreciating chimes and dings from ems? Genuinely curious. I'm 34 and I love hearing the bells.

#9 3 years ago

I like the dings and chimes of it but I have no memories of being a 13 year old kid walking into the arcade and hearing the sights and sounds of it. My only nostalgia I remember from being a kid is when I use to play my grandma's Adams family. Those sounds bring me back

#10 3 years ago

"Throw the third switch!"

original (resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago

Oh man - This thread is bringing back memories of when I managed arcades. I used to love throwing the breakers on the games and hearing them all boot up. Also the feeling of working all day and shutting them down and "hearing the silence".

#12 3 years ago

I actually remembered when I managed the arcade at Sea World that the fire inspector came into the arcade with a device that measured the noise level and told us we needed to shut down the volumes on the games because it was too loud. It was interesting because you get used to it and don't even notice how loud it really is. This was when we first opened so it was really just the attract modes on the games. It would get much louder if peopler were actually playing.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Hmmmm. I don't think all that noise happens. On the EMs I have ever seen when applying power the GI lights come on and that's about it. You don't get all the clacks and noises until you coin them up and start.

Yeah the chimes and other sounds I remember are the early Bally and Stern SS games all coming up together after a few seconds. That's fun to hear.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from RoyGBev:

Yeah the chimes and other sounds I remember are the early Bally and Stern SS games all coming up together after a few seconds. That's fun to hear.

Remember, too.. There were other games than just pins. Redemption games with chimes, air gun games, while slew of noises..!

#15 3 years ago

This will probably make a few people cringe, but I've done this for at least two years now.

I have three of these in my game room. They all respond to the same remote frequency. I turn my entire gameroom on and off with the click of one switch. They are all plugged into their own outlets. 3 pins on one, two pins on two others. These also power my neon signs on at the same time. My fridge, clock and battery chargers are plugged into the always on outlets.

amazon.com link »

belkin conserve (resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 45.00
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.50
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 37.50
    $ 68.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    £ 70.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D Tech. Pinball Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 6,750.00
    Pinball Machine
    Guns N' Roses (SE) Out of stock
    The Pinball Place
    $ 5.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside