Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by altan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

While playing my TOM it is just shutting off in the middle of the game!!! I have plenty of power at the outlet other machines work fine on the same circuit?? where do i start to look?? Thanks Bob

#2 10 years ago

Is it totally dead, like you flipped off the switch, or still on and come circuits die like a tilt? And once it does this, can you power it back up right away with the main switch?

Also, do you have a multimeter?

#3 10 years ago

Following up deviman... assuming the game is acting like you turned it off and then back on immediately, there is no single "simple fix" but there is a lot of info available for this common issue.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#4 10 years ago

When the machine shuts down it goes completely dead. When you turn the main switch off and then back on it will come back to life... Should i just replace the heat sinks and the bridge rectifiers?? it looks to be not so bad of a job or should I just buy a entire new board??

#5 10 years ago

Any pattern to this? Consistent time from bootup to shutdown or totally random (something that would indicate ties to heating up)? Or are there any events that provoke it (hitting flippers, other solenoids acting?). Do the red LEDs on the mainboard go out as well? When you reset it how long does it stay on before going off again? Does it only fail when you play or also when it's just sitting idle but on? Any credit dot or errors on startup?

There are a lot of possible explanations detailed on the pinwiki site above but if you can narrow it down by observing the behavior it might help you know where to go next.

Before digging into or replacing a board I would start tracing where you lose the voltage with your dmm once it happens, if you are able. The more you can isolate the location of the failure the easier it will be to diagnose.

#6 10 years ago

When it goes dead where no leds are lit up on the boards, I would start with checking the power before and after the switch.

#7 10 years ago

Firstly devlman makes a good point about observing what causes the game to shut down. Also I would not start replacing stuff at this point since there's no way of even guessing where the problem is.

After the game shuts down, check the led's on the cpu as suggested. I would guess they will be off, but definitely worth checking. Since the game is turning off and staying off, the pinwiki page will be of little value (it's focused on resets rather than shutdowns).

Get out your meter and the power diagram from the manual and wait for the machine to shut down and then start checking voltages. I would start at the transformer and make your way upstream towards the boards. Of course you could start at the boards and work downstream if you prefer.

The good news is this should be much easier to troubleshoot than a reset problem.

#8 10 years ago

I'm interested in hearing the outcome. I've not come across a circuit or other element in the wpc that would cause a shutdown until the power is cycled. But just because I haven't seen it does not mean it does not exist.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powering-off-while-playing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.