You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gnr_(resized).JPG
gnr_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Ordered and received a colordmd for my GnR. Unfortunately it did not come with the needed power tap to tap into power. I shot an email late yesterday to colordmd but have not heard back yet. Was hoping to see if anyone could tell me specifically which three pins/wires I need to tap into and in what order (color) and I can just hack into it so I can have this thing up and running for a party I am hosting this weekend.

This is not a knock on ColorDMD. Just want to see if I can workaround.

Thanks

#2 7 years ago

The power connector on the colorDMD board matches a Williams wpc j116 connector. It's 5v, g, 12v, nc. See the photo below

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

You'll need to find unregulated 12v and 5v on your power board. I know 12v power and ground are run to your audio board. You'll want to make a cable not solder to pins on the colorDMD. Also make sure you are using a dmm to test the voltage. Don't snag the 12v regulated or you'll under power your game. It needs be unregulated. It might measure 12-14v with the meter.

#3 7 years ago

I did receive the power cables from them, so no need to solder or make a cable on that end. I know which board I need to use as the instructions are clear. The problem is I don't know which pins. Normally you would just add the power tap that is missing and everything is easy. Please see attached for what I am talking about. Thanks again

gnr_(resized).jpggnr_(resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Straight from the GNR manual. Verify with a DMM.

gnr_(resized).JPGgnr_(resized).JPG

EDIT: Now, the connector right next to it previously went to the DMD. It looks to me like you could get +5, +12, and ground from that connector without having to do a piggyback, but that just an assumption. Do creative wiring at your own risk.

#5 7 years ago

Do I take Pin 6, one pin between 7 and 9, and one pin between 11 and 13?

#6 7 years ago

Man the ColorDMD guys are great. I got a response from two of them. One by email and one by phone. They will be sending me the part. It was "missing" because I ordered it from one of their vendors and that part is specific to data east games. Here is the what they had to state as well in case someone in the future needs this.

Gray/yellow +12Vdc
Black. GND
Gray +5Vdc

Thanks again guy and thank you Starwriter and Markmon

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from sbjmg:

Man the ColorDMD guys are great. I got a response from two of them. One by email and one by phone. They will be sending me the part. It was "missing" because I ordered it from one of their vendors and that part is specific to data east games. Here is the what they had to state as well in case someone in the future needs this.
Gray/yellow +12Vdc
Black. GND
Gray +5Vdc
Thanks again guy and thank you Starwriter and Markmon

Good to hear and all within a few hours. They are great. Very responsive to customers and one of the reasons I became and early [and frequent] supporter. I wish other companies would follow their lead.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powering-color-dmd-guns-n-roses-data-east-missing-colordmd-power-tap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.