2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211024_163145~2 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I'm trying to resurrect a Brunswick Aspen with arduino.

Can I splice into the 6v rail to power an arduino mega (yellow/green on diagram, not colored)? I'm seeing elsewhere it might be ok, might not. Anyone do this successfully?

My electrical knowledge can fit into a thimble, but I'm trying to learn.

20211024_163145~2 (resized).jpg20211024_163145~2 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

It partly depends on the Arduino since there are so many models/clones. Assuming an Uno since they are so common, the power input through the barrel jack needs about 6.5-7.0 VDC minimum. The 5V regulator specified in the reference schematic is rated for 1V drop, but there is also an unspecified diode in series before the regulator input. If we estimate a diode drop in the 0.4-0.7 VDC range then 6.0 V on the barrel jack is not quite enough.

Maybe the Aspen supply runs a little high. Maybe the Arduino you have uses a low-drop regulator. Maybe you have a 3.3V Arduino. There are a lot of possibilities where it might work fine. On paper the Uno is borderline with 6.0 VDC source.

There is a Vin pin that bypasses the diode and feeds the 5V regulator. That might be another option.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks @PinNerd.

I'm using an elegoo clone of a mega 2560 r3.

I will probably just end up using the barrel jack and throwing a power strip inside the cabinet to power everything. I'm starting to get overwhelmed with this project.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powering-arduino-from-aspen-power-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.