Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by rgb635
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

120111151900.jpg
    120111160140.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0398.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

How would you hook up external sub woofer? Do you need cross over or can you just connect to speaker in cabinet .

#2 12 years ago

You need to have an external powered subwoofer. Such as one for a home theatre. They typically have high level inputs. Simply unplug the larger speaker in the bottom of the cabinet and run a speaker lead from that same wire out of the cabinet to a powered sub. plug it in and whalla! makes a world of difference.

#3 12 years ago

try that again.

IMG_0398.JPGIMG_0398.JPG IMG_0399.jpgIMG_0399.jpg

#4 12 years ago

I hooked an external powered sub to 2 pins (TZ and CV) recently. Just ran a wire from the bottom speaker in the pin cabinet out to the input terminals in the sub.

Many subs have 2 or more inputs and there is no reason you can't hook 2 machines to one sub. It will work just fine, as you are only driving the low frequencies.

Also important to mention, when initially I unhooked the speaker in the cabinet and jumpered the wires to the sub, all the speakers in the pinball machine didn't work. They must be wired in series. I just reattached the wires to the cab speaker and soldered the output wires to those terminals and ran them out to the sub. Worked like a charm.

#5 12 years ago

I found this a while ago where a guy used computer speakers

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album09/pinball/ww.htm

#6 12 years ago

Where do you feed the speaker wire through the bottom of the cabinet? Do you remove the grate under the stock sub speaker in the bottom of the cabinet?

#7 12 years ago

I've only done it on Tron so I just lifted one of the metal vent shields in the upper part of cabinet.

#8 12 years ago

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do is run 2 pins off this powered sub. Whirlwind and fish tales . FYI bought the sub at Costco for 99.00 . Seems like a pretty good deal

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

I've only done it on Tron so I just lifted one of the metal vent shields in the upper part of cabinet.

Can you take a pic of this please?

#11 12 years ago

Do NOT just connect it to the speaker in the cabinet, it will overload the cabinet speaker and blow it. I certainly never saw this happen in an AC/DC recently

#12 12 years ago

Good point

I did it on a CV and TZ. Again, it appears they must be wiring the speakers in series.

That may not be the case for a Stern or even other B/W games, and you should check the schematic or physically inspect the wiring path if you can. Also, it doesnt draw a lot of power to send a signal to a powered subwoofer but I dont want to cause you to damage your machine.

Id try disconnecting the bottom speaker and see if jumpering works first then go from there.

#13 12 years ago

Yes your replacing the subwoofer in the cabinet and using an external sub. Your not adding your replacing

#14 12 years ago

Tried hooking this external sub to speaker wire on bottom of whirlwind . No sound at all In sub .Matter in fact noticed sound level decrease in back box . Only tried for 10 sec . Didnt want to blow amp . Something wrong anyone know ?

#15 12 years ago

If you are unsure and don't want to damage your system, get a hi/low converter and just split into the speaker wire. They're super cheap, and you don't have to break the circuit. It'll convert the speaker signal to the same type of signal you'd get out of your home theatre receiver.

No worries.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from Fishmugger:

Tried hooking this external sub to speaker wire on bottom of Whirlwind . No sound at all In sub .Matter in fact noticed sound level decrease in back box . Only tried for 10 sec . Didnt want to blow amp . Something wrong anyone know ?

Can you give us a make and model of the sub?
    Also some pics of the connections panel?

2 months later
    #18 11 years ago

For the price, is there anything better then this 10" sub ??

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KVQBA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

#19 11 years ago

I did a custom install in my Gottlieb Genesis consisting of a Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier and dual 8" sub-woofers. Shakes the whole room

120111160140.jpg120111160140.jpg 120111151900.jpg120111151900.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powered-sub-woofer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.