66CBD77B-4BEA-4EAD-8647-7D00B80C759D (resized).jpeg
B8934899-7E76-449D-A19E-C34B5A770577 (resized).jpeg
0Double-Barrel-Work-05 (resized).jpg
CD0D9F78-3784-4973-A7E6-9C9D4ACF3F57 (resized).jpeg
D09593A1-C7BE-46DF-9CDE-3A10660AF245 (resized).jpeg
CE9D3C9F-5726-44E7-821C-5CC334C8A285 (resized).jpeg
511C795D-1E33-4646-984D-C834CAFE8AD5 (resized).jpeg
0Double-Barrel-Bank-Relays-Work-A (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 5 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
I have taken Your pictures - I believe "my encircled blue" is the added main power switch. What is "my encircled red" - a burnt relay ? a relay in use ? a switch ? wired to ?
"My encircled green" is the Lock-Relay" - encircled "rosa / pink" is the so-called Kickoff-Switch (a bolt resting on the plywood can be made jumping up so switch in the cabinet opens).

Use a wooden stick and / or wear rubber gloves - plug-in , toggle-on the newly added main power switch - with the wooden stick press the armature on the Lock-Relay - do the lights in the pin turn on ? Does the Lock-Relay stays pulling on its own ? Greetings Rolf

0Doubl-Barrel-pinside-A-Work (resized).jpg0Doubl-Barrel-pinside-A-Work (resized).jpg0Doubl-Barrel-pinside-B-Work (resized).jpg0Doubl-Barrel-pinside-B-Work (resized).jpg
#29 5 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
in post-22 You write "when I (You) manually hold up the Game-Over-Relay I get the playfield to work" - question: do You You must force ? - fight against the coil on the relay as the relay actually wants to plunge / trip ? --- Try: Unplug the main-power-cord then do the hold up the Game-Over-Relay --- does it stays "up" once You manually have lifted ? I am not sure about this - so I ask. Usually pins want the Game-Over-Relay in state "Game-Over / tripped" when we toggle-on the pin. So in the JPG I put ?11 etc.

In a functioning Double Barrel You have some replays on the replay-counter - You plug-in the main-power-cord, then You press the Replay-Button - "my 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9" happens. Due to closed "my 8, 9" switches: The Lock-Relay should stay pulling (110VAC feeds the transformer - 24VAC is made - feeding through "my 6".
Try: Plug-in the main-power-cord - then (wear rubber gloves or use an wooden stick) press the armature on Lock-Relay - then let go --- question: Does the Lock-Relay stays pulling ? If not: You have one or more faults on "my 6 8 9" switches and / or the wires to these switches.

You force the Game-Over-Relay up - means You force state "relay is latched, pin is in play" - yes, when "in play": We can actuate flipperbats etc. --- when the pin is in Game-Over (relay is plunged / dropped / tripped): Playfield stuff is not operating - all the pins I know have this functionality. Greetings Rolf

0Double-Barrel-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Double-Barrel-Work-03 (resized).jpg
#38 5 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
my posts usually are long (lengthy ?) - so I did my post-29 short. You ask about #2, #6 etc. Here I write the post "long" - I take the same JPG , do not change the numbering but add "A B C ...": If I would have bought the pin - I'd then look up the schematics and say
There is a two-prong cord - on side "A" there is a direct connection to transformer-lug ("F"). Also coils and a motor has connection there (B C D E) --- no switch in this wiring. On the incoming cord on the other side (G) I see connection to the fuse "H" (so this side I call POWER-side) - no original Toggle-Switch (I) - a connection (J) where several wires are connected - several wires lead to "L" but ALL these wirings have one or more open switch(es) - 8 9 5 K - then to M (I call transformer-Power-Side).
When I plug-in the main-power-cord: Nothing happens as "8 9 5 K" all are open - the transformer is not hooked-on yet. I want to start a game by pressing the Replay-Button so I close "green 1" - I have (lets say) 11 Replays on the Replay-Counter - see https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=709&picno=30093 , in the first wagon - this means the "my green 2, Open At Zero RePlay-Stepping-Unit switch" is closed (happens to be open when there are no replays on the counter). The Lock-Relay is not (yet) pulling, the switch on the relay (green 3) is closed --- I press the Replay-Button and the Coin-Relay (green 4) must fire - its armature moves, all its switches actuate - "N" closes and "5" closes - I HAVE connection on the Power-Side to "M". "O" is shown open, the motor is not (yet) running - the "P" lets current flow - I HAVE established Self-Hold-Current power-side for the Coin-Relay (green 4) through "N P J 5 L M" (((on the other side is connection "4 C F" - the Coin-Relay stays pulling for a while.
O.K. - the Coin-Relay stays pulling for a while and the transformer is hooked-on (by closed green 5) - the transformer produces magnetism, produces 6VAC and 24VAC --- on the 5VAC side "green Q" I do not see switches - some lights must light at this time. On the 24VAC side I see a connection on the Lock-Relay (I drew green lines) - the Kickoff Switch (green 6) is drawn closed, is closed - as soon as the transformer is hooked-up - through "my green wiring, closed "green 6": The Lock-Relay-Coil (green 7) must fire, actuate the armature, actuate all its switches - (opens green 3) closes "green 8 and 9": The transformer is definitely hooked up - the Coin-Relay may let go and open "green 5" - the transformer is definitely hooked up through "green 8 and 9" - 6VAC and 24VAC are produced forever - the Lock-Relay stays pulling forever (through green 6).

I plug-in the main power cord - nothing happens as I expected it, I then press the Replay-Button - nothing happens - the Coin-Relay should pull-in but does not - I found the first fault --- I say "I simulate "Coin-Relay pulls-in": I wear rubber gloves / use an wooden stick, I actuate the armature on the Coin-Relay - do I see the lights light up ? - I should see. I let go on the Coin-Relay - it should stay pulling for a while - does it ? The Lock-Relay should pull-in - does it ? If it does not pull-in: I simulate "Lock-Relay pulls-in" by actuating the armature on Lock-Relay and then let go - does the Lock-Relay stays pulling ?

Nikrox2 - the "green 2" is a switch mounted on the Replay-Unit in the Backbox --- a rod mounted on the wheel opens a switch - when there are no replays on the counter. The "green 6": see the first JPG in post-10, encircled rosa / pink: The Kickoff switch - we see it also (better) in the JPG in post-14 - milky white round thing is the holding, above is a switch that must be closed. If We do hammer upwards onto the plywood at this place: A bolt would jump upwards and open the switch for a moment - this would cut the Self-Hold-Current on the Lock-Relay (green 6 opens) - Lock-Relay let go - all switches actuate back means "green 8 and 9" open and cut powerside-connection on the transformer --- pin is "toggled-off" - the pin does originally not have a toggle-switch BUT we can toggle-off by hammering upwards onto the plywood at the place where the Kickoff-Switch is mounted.

Checking a wiring seen in the schematics: Most of the time it is enough to "locate in the pin the coil and/or switch - wire truely soldered-on (gently pull a bit) ? switch clean and proper gapped ?
Danger - 110VAC in the pin - also 24VAC / 6VAC can kill people - always have the main-power- cord unplugged when You work on the pin --- ONLY plug-in when You NEED current for testing - wear rubber gloves for insulation - avoid touching solder-lugs / bare wires.

The written above is the long version of post-29 - You made some progress - may have questions - lets resume on posts 36 / 36. Greetings Rolf

0Double-Barrel-Work-03b (resized).jpg0Double-Barrel-Work-03b (resized).jpg
#46 5 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
Your Replay-Unit, JPG in post-40 looks like my "Shangri La Replay-Unit" - subtracting Replays is turning counterclockwise - step by step. Stepping from "1 Replay" to "0 Replay": The rod "red point" opens one or two switches (rather late pins have 2 switches). Adding credits is stepping clockwise --- an adjustable rod (my blue point) opens the "MAX-Switch" usually set by the operator to 10 or 15 or 20 or 25 Replays that can be stored on the Replay-Unit (the maximum I have ever seen was 37). In Your JPG I see holes drilled to screw-in "blue-point rod" - but I do not see the rod. See in the schematics at position (in the schematics F-10 / F-11): O. at 18 R.P.S.U

See the second JPG - the "green J, green L" - I refer to post-38, JPG - You said You want to find these knots of electrical wires in Your pin --- You will NOT find. See in the second JPG (here) the actual wiring in Your pin may be like "my blue lines, my brown lines" --- electrically the same as in the original schematics - in reality in the pin(s) there is NEVER a fork-off from a running wire - ALWAYS existing solderlugs on switches / coils are used - schematics are drawn abstract / made beautyful, grouped by usage.

In troubleshooting - are You at "when the Replay-Button is pressed: The Coin-Relay does NOT pull-in" ? Does the Coin-Relay stays pulling for a while when You manually press the armature on the Coin-Relay ? We can / may have to use Jumper-Wires to force connection to the Coil on Coin-Relay - BUT: Using here Jumper-Wires means You handle 110VAC-line-current.
What would You like to have an detailled look-at ? Greetings Rolf

0Double-Barrel-Work-04 (resized).jpg0Double-Barrel-Work-04 (resized).jpg0Shangri-La-Replay-Unit09 (resized).jpg0Shangri-La-Replay-Unit09 (resized).jpg
#50 5 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
for all to see - I have taken one of Your pictures and then have turned 180 degrees - the relays in the (Control) Bank.

I always fear to troubleshoot in pins having an "Game-Relay" --- not sure how this works in detail ... Your pin has such an Game-Relay - see the schematics at DEFG-3 /-4: The motor must run, close the make-part of a Make-and-Brake-Switch, Coin-Relay must pull and close a switch, Game-Relay must have its switch "other than shown in the schematics" - the Start-Trip-Relay in the (Control) Bank plunges and (see in the schematics at DEFG-4) makes the Start-Relay to actuate - this then makes "Self-Hold-Circuitry" - Start-Relay stays pulling for the rest of the Score-Motor turn (of 120 degrees).

You write: "2nd coin relay goes off ..." - see DEFG-3 --- the Game-Relay-Switch is in "Unwanted position" - and, grumble: We are on my problem "EXACTLY how does the Game-Relay works ...". Greetings Rolf

0Double-Barrel-Bank-Relays-Work-A (resized).jpg0Double-Barrel-Bank-Relays-Work-A (resized).jpg
#52 5 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
I am still after the "Start Trip Relay" --- You say in post-51 "closing the two bottom switches on it makes the pin to let You play". HOW MANY switches are in Your pin on this Relay ? I looked over the schematics - I have found four switches - did I find all ? I have put in my snippets (schematics) the colors of wires - can You tell me which switches You do close (((I hope for AA and BB))) ? Greetings Rolf

0Double-Barrel-Work-05 (resized).jpg0Double-Barrel-Work-05 (resized).jpg
#55 5 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
again - it is getting late in Switzerland - it is time for me to go to sleep - tomorrow I will look again in the schematics - for the fifth switch --- when You do the manipulation on the Start-Trip-Relay-Switches: Does the Start-Relay pull-in ? Does the Reset-Relay pull-in ? Does the Ball-Count reset ? Greetings Rolf

#58 5 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
On the Start-Trip-Relay-in-the-Bank-of-Relays You have 3 switches closed and two switches open when the relay is up means resetted. I have found the fifth switch - see the JPG "my orange EE". So in the JPG drawn open are "AA and BB" - I believe these are the switches You manipulate for to "start a game" (?).
Yes, the Start-Trip-Relay must actuate / plunge at a time - see the JPG - encircled green - the motor must run, actuate motor-switch (close) B 1 --- the Coin-Relay must pull and have closed its switch and the Game-Relay must be (I believe it must be) plunged so its switch is other than shown in the JPG: Then the Start-Trip-Relay does / must plunge.
You mechanically make it plunge but then the Score-Motor endlessly runs - questions: Do all THREE switches on the Start-Trip-Relay TRUELY open ? Does the Coin-Relay endlessly pulls ? Does the Start-Relay endlessly pulls ? See in the JPG "my orange EE" - when this switch faulty does not open: The Coin-Relay stays endlessly pulling.
See the Coil with the yellow wrapping paper on the bottom of the JPG in Your post-56 --- the Relay-Bank-Reset-Coil - does it ever fires ? See my JPG, "encircled red" - when the motor runs and throws its switch and the Start-Relay is pulling and the Reset-Relay is not pulling: Relay-Bank does reset.

See the second JPG --- upper left corner we see all the switches that make the Score-Motor to run - the first question always is "Do I (You) see an Relay endlessly pulling ?". On the bottom of the second JPG I show the Score-Motor-Switches - we may have to look at one or two or more. Greetings Rolf

0Double-Barrel-Work-05b (resized).jpg0Double-Barrel-Work-05b (resized).jpg0Double-Barrel-Work-06 (resized).jpg0Double-Barrel-Work-06 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#63 5 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
I had a busy, troubled day. I go to sleep, I will answer to Your posts 60, 61, 62 in about 20 to 24 hours. Greetings Rolf

#68 5 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
today was a nice sunny day in Switzerland, temperature around freezing point.
Sad - Your pin was doing fine but not for long. When there is a pause in a topic I happen to forget --- does post-51 tells about the situation Your in (again) ? Can You manually do activate a relay (Coin-Relay, Start-Relay, Start-Trip-Relay, Reset-Relay, other relay) to get life into the pin ?
I already have said it - I say it again: I always have problems with these old pins having a Game-Relay as I do not understand the function of the Game-Relay.
Almost on top in the JPG in post-58 we see "pushing the R.P.-Button (Replay-Button) makes the Coin-Relay to pull in - what happens when You manually activate the Coin-Relay ? Attention, Danger: Wear rubber gloves - the stuff operates on 110VAC !!! Greetings Rolf

#73 5 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
great, YOU could fix Your pin. Yes, we should play the EM-Pins occasionally --- the "precious Self-Cleaning" only works when we play the pin. May want to read here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1965-bowl-a-strike-crazy-at-startup#post-3231326

Hi cologneled
A new topic always is interesting for people who want to help - want to start Your own new topic ?
Greetings Rolf

3 months later
#76 4 years ago

Hi Nikrox2
I am doing +/- fine, some problems here and there - AND I do have the problem "I am not so good in/with old Williams pins having the 'turntable, Gottlieb-like Score-Motor' " --- fellow pinsiders - when You are familiar with these pins: Please participate.

To me - a real problem is "what for is the Game-Relay - how does it function 'along the time-axis' - is it (exactly ?, quite alike ?, not at all ?) as Gottlieb-First-Ball-Relay". Other problems "Start-Trip-Relay and Start-Relay ?", "Outhole-Index-Relay - Outhole-Relay?", "where is the Trough-Switch mounted ?", "what relays are mounted in the Relay-Bank ?" Nikrox2 - is the Trough-Switch like here https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2459&picno=46683 , upper right corner - on the way "Outhole to Shooter Alley" ? Do You have papertags in the pin telling what relays are mounted in the Relay-Bank ? what relays sit in the Relay-Bank ?
You write in post-75 " ... hitting the Credit-Button makes the motor to turn slightly ..." - in the ipdb-schematics I see: Your Score-Motor is 90 degrees symmetrical !!! (not 180 degrees like newer Williams / Ballys, not 120 degrees like Gottliebs) - does the motor turns 90 degrees then stops ?
You write in post-75 " ... hitting the Credit-Button ... makes the 2nd-Coin-Relay to actuate ..." - is this a relay in the Relay-Bank ? - is it a normal relay ? - pulling-in ? when the motor stops the relay has quit pulling ?

Does Your Game-Relay sit in the Relay-Bank ? If "Yes": Please two tests - first test having the Game-Relay "resetted" - the second test having the Game-Relay "plunged".
First test - have some credits on the Replay-Counter - please unplug the main power cord - now move the Reset-Arm on the Relay-Bank - the Game-Relay is resetted. Plug-in the main power cord - nothing should happen - then press the Credit Button - does the Coin-Relay pull-in ? (according to the schematics it should pull-in) --- what else happens ?
Second test - have some credits on the Replay-Counter - please unplug the main power cord - now move the Reset-Arm on the Relay-Bank - the Game-Relay is resetted - then manually make the Game-Relay to plunge. Plug-in the main power cord - nothing should happen - then press the Credit Button - does the Coin-Relay pull-in ? (according to the schematics it should pull-in) --- what else happens ? Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.