(Topic ID: 203346)

Power-up issues with Lethal Weapon 3...

By MoSeS_1592

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider moses_1592.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

The issue began about a year ago and is getting progressively worse as time goes on. It started with the sound not working when the machine was first turned on. After about 2 minutes of being on the sound would suddenly ‘flicker’ a few times then start working. This has not changed. But now when I turn the machine on all that happens is the GI turns on and nothing else. The display is out and no PF lights or sound. After about 1-2 minutes of ‘heating up’ the boot-up (“back in action!”) sound flickers a few times and the games boots. Sometimes it boots then resets a few times before finally starting permanently. I do hear relay’s click. Once the machine is warmed up it works perfectly. It’s just during a cold boot that I get the issue. As times goes on the lag time before it boots up properly slowly gets longer and longer.

That being said, any advice on what to check first or issues that can be ruled out by these symptoms? I’m not too familiar with troubleshooting DE games from this era.

Thanks!

#5 6 years ago

I'll check and report back. Could a bad (or about to be bad) relay cause this?

3 weeks later
#7 6 years ago

When the game is first turned on from a cold boot, the PIA and 5v CPU LED's stay lit constantly. The blanking LED is not lit. At this point nothing except GI is on. Immediately, as soon as the power switch is turned ON, one of the solenoids clicks (i think its one that pops the ball from middle drain to the ball loader trough to get it ready to go into shooter lane). It sounds like one of the relays in the backbox flickers rapidly (like 30 times per second fast) for about 1 second then stops. After about 40-60 seconds of being frozen in that state the blanking LED turns on, the PIA LED turns off (as it should) and the game boots up. At this point the sound still does not work. About a minute after that the sound begins to flicker in and out and after about a 10 seconds of flickering starts to work consistently. At this point the game functions at 100% with no other issues.

Once the game is warmed up I can turn it off and on and it boots up immediately and perfectly as it should. It is only from a cold boot that this happens, but its consistent.

#9 6 years ago

no, i was unaware that there was a thermistor. Could this possibly account for the sound issues as well?

#10 6 years ago

Pardon my ignorance here but is this the correct part? I am having some difficulty identifying for DE games. Here is the link:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5016-12978-00

Also, where exactly does this go? Is this on the power supply board, CPU board, or inside the power supply unit inside the cab (where the volume pot is)?

#12 6 years ago

Not yet, I will check it and report back. Do you know of any replacement kits that provide all of the necessary caps for the PS board in this DE system?

#14 6 years ago

Possibly, I will let you know.

#15 6 years ago

On the board you have has it recently been serviced or are all of the components original?

1 week later
#17 6 years ago

Anyone know if any place sells kits that include all of the components necessary to rebuild the 5v and/or 12v sections of these power supplies?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,800 (OBO)
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider moses_1592.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-up-issues-with-lethal-weapon-3?tu=moses_1592 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.