Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinballManiac40
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

The issue began about a year ago and is getting progressively worse as time goes on. It started with the sound not working when the machine was first turned on. After about 2 minutes of being on the sound would suddenly ‘flicker’ a few times then start working. This has not changed. But now when I turn the machine on all that happens is the GI turns on and nothing else. The display is out and no PF lights or sound. After about 1-2 minutes of ‘heating up’ the boot-up (“back in action!”) sound flickers a few times and the games boots. Sometimes it boots then resets a few times before finally starting permanently. I do hear relay’s click. Once the machine is warmed up it works perfectly. It’s just during a cold boot that I get the issue. As times goes on the lag time before it boots up properly slowly gets longer and longer.

That being said, any advice on what to check first or issues that can be ruled out by these symptoms? I’m not too familiar with troubleshooting DE games from this era.

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

Check your 5vdc and 12vdc , caps on power supply may need to be changed. Any battery leakage on the logic board?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from chad:

Check your 5vdc and 12vdc , caps on power supply may need to be changed. Any battery leakage on the logic board?

this!

also check fuses and clamps for good contact.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from jorro:

this!
also check fuses and clamps for good contact.

+1. Those clips are horrible

#5 1 year ago

I'll check and report back. Could a bad (or about to be bad) relay cause this?

#6 1 year ago

I have had the contacts get stuck , but you can remove the plastic cover and carefully file them . Another thing I have had happen on wms and de power supplies is the small cap by the ic chip has a tendency to leak.

3 weeks later
#7 1 year ago

When the game is first turned on from a cold boot, the PIA and 5v CPU LED's stay lit constantly. The blanking LED is not lit. At this point nothing except GI is on. Immediately, as soon as the power switch is turned ON, one of the solenoids clicks (i think its one that pops the ball from middle drain to the ball loader trough to get it ready to go into shooter lane). It sounds like one of the relays in the backbox flickers rapidly (like 30 times per second fast) for about 1 second then stops. After about 40-60 seconds of being frozen in that state the blanking LED turns on, the PIA LED turns off (as it should) and the game boots up. At this point the sound still does not work. About a minute after that the sound begins to flicker in and out and after about a 10 seconds of flickering starts to work consistently. At this point the game functions at 100% with no other issues.

Once the game is warmed up I can turn it off and on and it boots up immediately and perfectly as it should. It is only from a cold boot that this happens, but its consistent.

#8 1 year ago

Did you change your thermistor? The symptom "Won't boot until warmed up" is almost always a 5v problem related to the thermistor.

#9 1 year ago

no, i was unaware that there was a thermistor. Could this possibly account for the sound issues as well?

#10 1 year ago

Pardon my ignorance here but is this the correct part? I am having some difficulty identifying for DE games. Here is the link:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5016-12978-00

Also, where exactly does this go? Is this on the power supply board, CPU board, or inside the power supply unit inside the cab (where the volume pot is)?

#11 1 year ago

I'm sorry. I've learned before I shouldn't post before coffee, but do I listen to myself? No. LW3 is Data East. Duh. No Thermistor. Well, not in the WPC style. It is probably the caps on your Power Board then. In any case, everything is pointing towards the 5v. Have you measured your 5v at startup?

#12 1 year ago

Not yet, I will check it and report back. Do you know of any replacement kits that provide all of the necessary caps for the PS board in this DE system?

#13 1 year ago

You're in town. We do in person $50 board swaps. Wanna swap your board with one from our working LW3 for $50?

#14 1 year ago

Possibly, I will let you know.

#15 1 year ago

On the board you have has it recently been serviced or are all of the components original?

#16 1 year ago

Um, has been serviced. Think the caps are original, though. If that matters to you, just replace your own caps. I just thought it might be urgent for you.

1 week later
#17 1 year ago

Anyone know if any place sells kits that include all of the components necessary to rebuild the 5v and/or 12v sections of these power supplies?

#18 1 year ago

You can check with Ed at Great Plains Electronics.

#19 1 year ago

There is no DE cap kit. You have to order the capacitors separately.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Olive Branch, MS
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside