Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 146 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Jasontaps
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

power2_919licWab5L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    IMG_1734.JPG
    20150211_172215.jpg
    20150211_172146.jpg
    image1.JPG
    image.jpg
    20150206_204210.jpg
    20150206_204214.jpg
    20150206_204603.jpg
    61yvLXxAwNL._SY355_.jpg
    345250.png
    There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

Another alternative would be to find some x10 appliance boxes and a control panel for them.

Yeah either that or just reach out and turn the machine on at the switch under the head.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from gawcol:

very unfriendly for people in wheelchair and people where kids like to play.
    In a private collection, games are in a row and so it always has to be a tall person that turns it on...

This to me is the biggest downside. My daughter (5) loves to play pinball. She'll go into the gameroom, turn on a game and play till she gets board. She then turns it off and goes to do something else. My pins are all next to each other so this would mean she can't play without someone turning the game on for her.

Fortunately for me I have no desires to buy a wrestle mania. Hopefully this is a one time thing for Stern.

I'm probably the crazy one here but I'd rather have the power switch back up front than to have rails on the game if I had to chose on which feature to have back. I turn on and off the game every day. I don't have to lift my PF very often at all.

Just seems silly.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

My pins are all next to each other so this would mean she can't play without someone turning the game on for her.

Unless your games are all widebodies, the kids will easily be able to slip in and turn on the games.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Yeah either that or just reach out and turn the machine on at the switch under the head.

Quoted from John_I:

Unless your games are all widebodies, the kids will easily be able to slip in and turn on the games.

Do you own stock in Stern or something? Or owe Gary $? You're just being an apologist. There are some very valid concerns here that suggest Stern may have made a pretty big boo boo. Glad you're not concerned, but some are.

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Nope, standard bodied and they have about 5-6 inches between them. She can't get in there without squeezing in which bring the equation of cab damage into play because you know she has to wear her Frozen tiara everywhere Seriously though, I don't want kids squeezing between machines. First time they forget they are wearing a belt it's going to cause a nasty scratch down the side of the cab.

How about little people? Or, you if you have a broken leg and are in a cast? I just think it's a bad move as it can cause challenge with something as simple as turning your game on.

#56 9 years ago

Not everyone is young and nimble. Right now I have no issues but my parents have bad backs and would not be able to lean over and stretch to turn on the machine. My mom can't even nudge as it hurts too much. It pisses her off because she knows how to nudge.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Nope, standard bodied and they have about 5-6 inches between them.

Wow you have them close! If I have 4 inches between the heads I get worried they might bump. That still leaves room for my fat butt to slide between. Your heads must be really close.

#58 9 years ago

I think its widely agreed (except for those who will always defend Stern no matter what) that the new location is a pain in the arse, and was clearly a cynical move by Stern to save a few dollars. Sure it's possible to turn the machine on in the new location, but there is no doubt it pisses off people and pleases none. Honestly, in the price of a $5000 machine, whats a couple of dollars?

Hopefully Stern are listening and change it back in future.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Wow you have them close! If I have 4 inches between the heads I get worried they might bump. That still leaves room for my fat butt to slide between. Your heads must be really close.

Yeah, about 2-3 inches apart from each other. I have the legs on rubber pads to keep things from sliding on the wood and all my tilts are set super sensitive (for obvious reasons). It's either this or I have to sell a game and I don't have a game I don't like so it's a tight fit.

#60 9 years ago

Ive seen the new location and I think it was completely DUMB move by Stern. If your machines are nearly touching side by side it will be an issue for sure. MOVE it back! Thanks

#61 9 years ago

If you figure that it's a $3 saving that's, what, $10k a year?

That's starting to add up to real money.

Alternatively, that gives them $3 more to spend on the BOM. That's a spinner on the pro, say.

I haven't interacted with this yet, but I'm not convinced the sky is falling. yes, it's probably worse, but it's not that much worse.

#62 9 years ago

I have a Stern proof system in my home. Not concerned.

61yvLXxAwNL._SY355_.jpg61yvLXxAwNL._SY355_.jpg
    #63 9 years ago
    Quoted from ff6735:

61yvLXxAwNL._SY355_.jpg 8 KB

I have the same system, haven't touch my power buttons on the pins for a year. Before that I had a power bar I clicked with my foot.

It is what it is at this point, Stern changed it, but it's not like there aren't other better solutions.

Do arcade and redemption people complain that the power button for the machine is on the back by the wall?

#64 9 years ago

I will say that as an owner of a WWEpro, I am not happy with change in location of power supply.

I don't think they really thought this one out. I am guessing the switch itself was much less of a pruposeful thought but more as an after thought. They moved the power supply and hence decided to put the switch near the power supply.

It is a PITA and on route I fear that this game will sit on for 24hrs a day when staff cant remember that it is in a different spot than ALL the other ones. Remote control may be the solution but not sure if those will meet business fire code requirements.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from ff6735:

61yvLXxAwNL._SY355_.jpg 8 KB

Oooohhh.. I like this. I may have to give this a try as it looks like it could allow me to turn on a bank of machines almost like flipping a light switch.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Oooohhh.. I like this. I may have to give this a try as it looks like it could allow me to turn on a bank of machines almost like flipping a light switch.

Exactly what it's like. I have 3 games on each strip then 1 of these bad boys between the strip and the outlet. Easy to program and I can have all games, signs etc on with the push of a couple buttons.

#68 9 years ago

one wonders how people would have dealt with the fact that they used to have to kick the bottom of the machine in order to turn it "off"...

#69 9 years ago

Everyone email Stern. Maybe they can at least continue to cut the hole in the bottom of the cabinet and just put a plate over it in the inside. Then it would be easy to mod the machine. A lot of computer power supplies have a secondary power switch input.

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

one wonders how people would have dealt with the fact that they used to have to kick the bottom of the machine in order to turn it "off"...

The same way ops and EM collectors occasionally do. Install a power switch on the bottom of the cabinet.

I think Stern's decision to put the power button on the head is a poor one.

Marcus

#71 9 years ago

My bigger worry is whether there is a outlet in the cabinet for Soldering Iron or test equipment. My guess is no, since they moved the switch.

Maybe someone knows?

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85Txaggie:

My bigger worry is whether there is a outlet in the cabinet for Soldering Iron or test equipment. My guess is no, since they moved the switch.
    Maybe someone knows?

EUUUUGHHHHH....god, if they didn't leave a service port that would be the dumbest thing known to man...

#73 9 years ago

I took pictures the other night, maybe someone can look and see if there's one.

For the record, I'm five foot tall. I can't reach the power button. I can't even reach the power button unless I move the machine far enough away from the machine next to it so I can get in between the two of them. First mod should be wires relocating that stupid decision.

#74 9 years ago

20150206_204214.jpg20150206_204214.jpg
    20150206_204603.jpg20150206_204603.jpg
    20150206_204210.jpg20150206_204210.jpg

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85Txaggie:

Maybe someone knows?

service outlet is in the head, on the power supply

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

service outlet is in the head, on the power supply

stuffed in the corner pointing up.

#77 9 years ago

Wow that sucks as bad as ditching the coffin lock

Why are they doing this?!?

#78 9 years ago

Just what I want. Pull the machine out so I can pull the translite and plug in the soldering iron. Nevermind that it is a long way from the plunger where I hang it.

Oh well, don't have to worry about until Steve's next game. Things can change by then.

#79 9 years ago

I'm not seeing the 12V/5V 3-Pin Connector by the Coin Door we've all become used to using.

I'm also not seeing the 5V 6-Pin Connector in the Backbox.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong on both counts

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

its not behind the back box... it is on the bottom of it, it is easy to reach from the front of the machine

345250.png 451 KB

Not if you have T-Rex arms like me.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#81 9 years ago

What a cheap ass decision by Stern. It's hard enough to get staff to turn games off at a bar or pub. Now they need to learn to go up to the backbox for certain games? That will never happen.

I hope they offer a kit to move it to where it should be like every other game for 50 years. IDK if I have to pay for it.

Is it possible for Stern to cut any more corners?

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkyle:

Pretty likely.

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkyle:

It's hard enough to get staff to turn games off at a bar or pub

From what I've seen it harder to get them to turn it ON. Really it's a non issue. Maybe it'll stop people who think they know better turning it off.
    Cost down is the goal in each and every manufactured product year on year.

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkyle:

~snip~

They've cut so many corners now, they are working in circles!

#85 9 years ago

Most of our customers REQUIRE us to drop the price to them 10% every year to hold their business. (I am sure they are passing that on to you, as the consumer. ) If I could save $1.50 on a several thousand dollar product, they would put my picture on the wall and bring in donuts. This is what happens in engineering every company, every day, or "Welcome to Radio Shack".

Don C.

#86 9 years ago

The power switch location that they are currently using has been tested for well over a year now. I expressed my dislike for the location many times, however because of UL they had to locate the switch there. This was the excuse I was given, I have no idea if that is true or not.

Personally I have a preference for the switch to be in the same old spot, but it really doesn't make much of a difference. I highly doubt stern is concerned with children turning the games on and off. The power switch location has changed, no reason to complain about something you can't change and has zero impact on the game.

Lets get over the fact that the location of a power switch changed. Its just not worth a discussion.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

I highly doubt stern is concerned with children turning the games on and off. The power switch location has changed, no reason to complain about something you can't change and has zero impact on the game.
    Lets get over the fact that the location of a power switch changed. Its just not worth a discussion.

Zero impact on the game if I actually want to play it, right? Just checking.

I understand that a lot of you guys (including my husband, who's 5'9 and has arms like Gumby) have no problems standing at the end of the machine and reaching the head. I. Can't. Do. It.

So yeah, I'd say that's a reason for me to complain. Thanks, though.

#88 9 years ago

Obviously that was your opinion.

It is worth discussing if you have or had machines on route. The location I had machines at, had rows of pins, too tight to remove the translite without pulling the machine out of line. With the new design, to replace a switch or any other solder repair, you will have to pull the machine out, pull the translite to plug in the solder iron.

I can reach the switch, so that isn't an issue for me. But the female bartender who is 5'4" tall and is pregnant may have an issue with this switch location.

I am sure U.L. wants the power switch, service outlet and power supply in the same cabinet enclosure. Stern messed up by placing that power supply in the head of the pinball machine. Maybe the next pine out after WWE will change if WE voice our displeasure.

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

Zero impact on the game if I actually want to play it, right? Just checking.
    I understand that a lot of you guys (including my husband, who's 5'9 and has arms like Gumby) have no problems standing at the end of the machine and reaching the head. I. Can't. Do. It.
    So yeah, I'd say that's a reason for me to complain. Thanks, though.

I don't know about you but I can fit between two games easily with the heads touching. Stern does not make widebody games. They are not asking you to stand at the front of a game and turn it on, you simply stand to the side and turn the game on. If that doesn't work for you then use one of the other numerous options people presented such as remote switches for your outlet or a switched outlet. Sorry but its as simple as you standing at the side of the game to turn it on and if you can't do that it seems like your problem.

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85Txaggie:

Obviously that was your opinion.
    It is worth discussing if you have or had machines on route. The location I had machines at, had rows of pins, too tight to remove the translite without pulling the machine out of line. With the new design, to replace a switch or any other solder repair, you will have to pull the machine out, pull the translite to plug in the solder iron.
    I can reach the switch, so that isn't an issue for me. But the female bartender who is 5'4" tall and is pregnant may have an issue with this switch location.
    I am sure U.L. wants the power switch, service outlet and power supply in the same cabinet enclosure. Stern messed up by placing that power supply in the head of the pinball machine. Maybe the next pine out after WWE will change if WE voice our displeasure.

So your female bartender can't have someone unplug the machine? I have pins with heads touching and I do not have to pull games out to take the translite out, I just don't get where people are having such an issue with this. As for the service outlet, use an extension cord. There were games built for years with out service outlets, yes they are handy but damn its not the end of the world if you have A machine that you can't get to the outlet because you have it packed so tight. You are making the choice to pack them in, deal with the fact that when you do that, you need an extension cord.

#91 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-physical-space-between-games-in-your-game-room

Looks like it's not uncommon for people to have there games right up against each other. Those that have the luxury of space to where you can fit between games are lucky and I would agree this is a non-issue. For the rest of us, this becomes an issue.

Thanks to Quiddity's comment I just realized that my wife wouldn't be able to reach either

If Stern is really putting focus on the home user then they need to reconsider this. I can understand this more when they were tailored towards the route operator but now that they have openly admitted that the home collector is part of there market this should be reconsidered.

#92 9 years ago

So your female bartender can't have someone unplug the machine? I have pins with heads touching and I do not have to pull games out to take the translite out, I just don't get where people are having such an issue with this.

You must be 6 foot tall+

Some of us aren't as blessed. I'm 5-8 and there is no way I can remove my backglass without sliding my machines apart enough to get between them. I tried once to do it by reaching over and I was stretching out so far it was way to risky of me dropping it. And that was with me standing on a small stool.

Yeah, yeah, I know... Sucks to be short....

#93 9 years ago

So I just put two machines together, there is more than enough room to fit between the games atleast with one foot between the two games. The power switch is 45 inches from the front of the machine, with one foot between the two games it is a total of 24 inches from my hip. How is 24 inches too difficult for people to reach?

I get it, it is not ideal and the better location is the original location, but please stop acting like its impossible for the game to be turned on.image1.JPGimage1.JPG

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

You must be 6 foot tall+
    Some of us aren't as blessed. I'm 5-8 and there is no way I can remove my backglass without sliding my machines apart enough to get between them. I tried once to do it by reaching over and I was stretching out so far it was way to risky of me dropping it. And that was with me standing on a small stool.
    Yeah, yeah, I know... Sucks to be short....

Oh I definitely don't try to remove it from the front, I just stand at the side. Again, its not ideal, but hey its manageable.

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-physical-space-between-games-in-your-game-room
    Looks like it's not uncommon for people to have there games right up against each other. Those that have the luxury of space to where you can fit between games are lucky and I would agree this is a non-issue. For the rest of us, this becomes an issue.
    Thanks to Quiddity's comment I just realized that my wife wouldn't be able to reach either
    If Stern is really putting focus on the home user then they need to reconsider this. I can understand this more when they were tailored towards the route operator but now that they have openly admitted that the home collector is part of there market this should be reconsidered.

Stern says things like they care about the home collector, but bottom line is their actions don't always back that up. This is an instance where that is the case. It sucks, but its just one of those things we can't do anything about. Having the power supply located elsewhere is an issue for the hardware of this system.

#96 9 years ago

So your female bartender can't have someone unplug the machine? I have pins with heads touching and I do not have to pull games out to take the translite out, I just don't get where people are having such an issue with this. As for the service outlet, use an extension cord. There were games built for years with out service outlets, yes they are handy but damn its not the end of the world if you have A machine that you can't get to the outlet because you have it packed so tight. You are making the choice to pack them in, deal with the fact that when you do that, you need an extension cord.

get the glass out, how do you even reach the key from the front?

#97 9 years ago

So I just put two machines together, there is more than enough room to fit between the games atleast with one foot between the two games. The power switch is 45 inches from the front of the machine, with one foot between the two games it is a total of 24 inches from my hip. How is 24 inches too difficult for people to reach?
    I get it, it is not ideal and the better location is the original location, but please stop acting like its impossible for the game to be turned on.

image1.JPG 259 KB

What about us fat guys with short arms?

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Use a stick

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

If you can't put one of your feet between two packed together games and reach the power switch its time to curb your diet. With one of my feet in between the two games its literally not a reach, unless your arms are less than 24 inches long.

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

get the glass out, how do you even reach the key from the front?

I put one foot between the two games and it is easily accessible. That how I do it and multiple people that work on games get to the backglass, I have never had to move a machine out to get to the back glass. The whole concept of people not being able to do this is crazy to me.

There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-switch-location-on-spike/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.