Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Billc479
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I'm working on a Bally Pool sharks and thinking the power supply may have some issues. The 12 volt output is measuring 14, but the 5volt is correct. It has the original capacitors in them and I'm thinking the voltage is slipping because of that. Is this over voltage a problem? Or is it within specs? I'm thinking the board should be worked on, but I need to explain to the client how dire the need is, or not.
Looking forward to your feedback.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from davelarson:

The 12 volt output is measuring 14

It is unregulated 12V, so anything over 12 is great. I would change all the capacitors and resolder the header pins on the board as well. This will fix many power related issues.

#3 1 year ago

All machines this age likely have capacitors that are failing.

However, the problem with the +12V unregulated isn't going to be a problem at 14v, it's going to be a problem at 10.5V (according to the Cyclone book), where a low voltage here will cause board resets.

PinballManiac40's suggestion about recapping and rebuilding connectors is a good one for the eventual life of this machine.

Is it 'dire'?

If I were looking at this machine in the customer's house I would probably wait until I had a problem.

I'd keep in mind that while the game is 32(!) years old, the capacitors are not likely to last another 32 years. Capacitor failure will happen. Connectors will get crunchy and fail... eventually.

If this were in my home?

I would probably replace the capacitors and connectors just so that I wouldn't have an expected failure pending within the next decade in my home. Once you've got the board out and on your bench and you have the parts available it doesn't take much time to deal with capacitors and connectors.

2 months later
#5 1 year ago

If you're replacing the caps, you may as well go ahead and do the ground mods on the SDB.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

If you're replacing the caps, you may as well go ahead and do the ground mods on the SDB.

Williams System 11 has no suggested ground mods.

#7 1 year ago

OOPs - Looking again, I thought the year was 1980. Gotta stop reading these without my glasses. I'll go back into my cave now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-supply-voltage-too-high and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.