6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jabdoa
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hi guys
    I have been collecting parts for about a year now to build my own pinball machine.
    The last part I acquired was a P-roc but now I need a power supply and I don't know what to get.
    I'm in the uk so it has to be 240v
    What would you recomend ?

#2 6 years ago

I'm planning a built myself. I'm collecting stuff, finding out what skills I need and making space to start my project in the meantime.
    So. To be short. I'm far from an expert and I don't know what walls I will run into but I decided to use a 48V switching power supply (not a cheap Chinese brand) to power one or two Power Driver Boards form Pinballcontrollers. You will need a filterboard with 2 large caps if you go this way because these switcher aren't actually built to drive a pinball. There are much cheaper and lighter though.
    Alternative is an old fashion power supply. If Pinballcontrollers was round my corner I would probably got myself their heavy AnTec.
    For the controllers, soundboards and a DMD, I have an old ATX. It's a free device if you have an old computer lying around with plenty Watts available on 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails. Like a switcher an ATX needs some minor modifications.
    I will be designing a filter/fuse board for both of them.
    Succes with your project

#3 6 years ago

You could get a nice linear power supply and bypass the filter boards also. Linear power supplies tend to provide good clean power vs. what you get out of a switching power supply but switching power supplies do have their benefits for sure.

http://www.galco.com/buy/International-Power/IHE48-4.0?source=googleshopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwhOvPBRBxEiwAx2nhLi-bLpb8J05S_7hqmkv5fxdNAksaD4xxfIbCT_tRvP6sQAhBzDKXKBoCOmoQAvD_BwE

#4 6 years ago

Cheers for the advise guys, I have now ordered a AnTec from Pinballcontrollers

#5 6 years ago

Better go with some 48V switching power supply. Those AnTec transformers are EOL anyway. I got one in my game but I would not recommend it. Those 48V Meanwell supplies are much better (cheaper, safer, lighter). Stern also uses them with SPIKE.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-supply-recommendations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.