Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Lowrent
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140404_231418.jpg
    circuit.png
    psu.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

Hi, I have a System 11 machine that I have never been able to play. It was DOA.
    I have rebuilt the Power Supply with GPE kits (both caps and HV) and changed the headers and connectors.

The problem : I get ~+12V at the +5 outputs.

The signal flow :
    About 10.5VAC at the transformer connector (3P1-10 to 12) - that's ok
    Goes through F5 and F6 - ok
    Goes through the bridge rectifier
    I get +13.84VDC at TP3 and -14VDC at TP4 (directly connected to the bridge +/-) - i think that's ok
    The + signal then goes to Q5's collector

And this is where it doesn't work anymore.

Q5 gets +13VDC at its base, from IC1, the voltage regulator. (I get +6.61VDC on another working machine)
    And I get +12.60VDC at the emitter, instead of something around +5VDC.

I have changed Q5 with another one from a working machine and it's the same results.

Should I change IC1 or there is another possibility ?

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

Assuming that this is a D-8345 PSU since not mentioned.

If the input side voltages on IC1 (circled in green) are reasonably close, if the output of IC1 (circled in red) is not close then yes, IC1 would be the first thing I would try to replace.

psu.JPGpsu.JPG

#4 10 years ago

Thanks, helpful schematic. I'll check that after work.

#5 10 years ago

Green is ok.
    Red has 7VDC over what's written on the schematic.

circuit.pngcircuit.png

#6 10 years ago

I trust you don't have any game board hooked up to this supply, otherwise you would be destroying the TTL logic...

I'd check if R11 (1K5) is open. Perhaps it has been damaged in some fashion? It is needed as part of the voltage divider circuit...

I also recommend that you put a load on the output for testing. Something like a 5 Ohm 15w - 25W resistor (1A load) should work fine, if these pass regulators don't have a load they sometimes will misbehave.

John :-#)#
    flippers.com

#7 10 years ago

I feel stupid .

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Flippers_com:

I trust you don't have any game board hooked up to this supply, otherwise you would be destroying the TTL logic...

Let's hope the TTL will forgive me for the 5 seconds of 12V I gave them...

#9 10 years ago

89 cents later...
    Fuck yeah!
    I am so relieved...
    IMG_20140404_231418.jpgIMG_20140404_231418.jpg

#10 10 years ago

Glad you found it. Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

#11 10 years ago

Awesome! Did your other boards survive?

#12 10 years ago

I have recently seen this also .. IC1 (the 723) was the culprit and judging by the glowing red eprom windows they didn't survive. ( i haven't checked them yet)

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

Awesome! Did your other boards survive?

It seems, I get no error code. My mpu only had 12V for seconds, I figured something was fishy and turned off the power.
    Other boards are not plugged yet, one thing at a time...

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Flippers_com:

I'd check if R11 (1K5) is open. Perhaps it has been damaged in some fashion? It is needed as part of the voltage divider circuit...
    I also recommend that you put a load on the output for testing. Something like a 5 Ohm 15w - 25W resistor (1A load) should work fine, if these pass regulators don't have a load they sometimes will misbehave.
    John :-#)#
    flippers.com

Thanks for chiming in John.
    The machine booted fine, but I realized the displays are crap.
    Lots of surprises, it's a machine I've never been able to play, DOA.
    I just ordered a X-Pin set from you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-supply-problem-need-expert-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.