Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20201105_121639 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201031_183017 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201031_183013 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Gents,

Grasping at straws here, I was going to reCAP my Power supply Board and upon removing it found this going on. I posted it in a Tommy topic, but felt this is pretty straightforward and not game specific. What the hell is going on here? Is this board toast? I got rid of a lot of the blob, but feel the board may be compromised.

IMG_20201031_183013 (resized).jpgIMG_20201031_183013 (resized).jpgIMG_20201031_183017 (resized).jpgIMG_20201031_183017 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Looks normal to me. Typical Data East factory solder job.

#3 3 years ago

1 - wrinkling/cracking/flaking of green mask: Bare board was tin/lead plated *before* the solder mask (green film) was applied. Used to be a common practice to make bare boards like this. Modern boards are now plated after the mask has been applied. When this board was made and before parts were added - board was nice and flat. They placed parts on the board and ran it through wave soldering machine - all solder melts underneath the solder mask resulting in wrinkles, bumps, etc. Often the solder mask will crack and flake just like it is doing on your board. Ignore this - it doesn't hurt anything.

2 - solder blobs: Just poor workmanship. Looks bad but also doesn't hurt anything.

#4 3 years ago

I'm with you on the ugly.The problem, I think, is that I am reading continuity between those pins. From the blob moving left. I am ready continuity between the first four pins and then from the far right to the four on far left. I shouldn't be reading any continuity between pins right. That would be shorting. At least what my feeble mind thinks.

#5 3 years ago

Assuming that is CN4.
This connector has three sets of four pins. All pins within the groups of four are tied together. Group 1 is also tied to group 3.
First four ground pins for coils, middle four power pins for lamps and four more ground pins for lamps (messiest joints). The four pins under the blob are supposed to be connected together.
It looks sloppy and it looks like somebody has been there before because I see flux on the board. But I do not see a short.
You could clean that up but you would need a good soldering iron to do that - there is a lot of mass there to soak up the heat and you could end up damaging the board. Unless you have a lot of practice with this, I would leave the mess alone.

For your board - I would be more concerned about capacitors. Especially C2 and C3 within the voltage doubler circuit.

#6 3 years ago

Update on my PSB - I am replacing the caps and when I got C1 out I noticed that the negative leg does not cross a trace. When removed, I found another solder hole that crosses the trace, but it had been filled in and was not use. Picture for clarity here. Do I use the old hole or the one that crosses the trace?

IMG_20201105_121639 (resized).jpgIMG_20201105_121639 (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago

Use either hole as long as the negative lead makes connection to the ground trace.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-supply-board-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.