Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Hula
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5723 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5720 (resized).JPG
    ballyarlington2 (resized).jpg
    bally arlington (resized).jpg
    IMG_5679 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5678 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5222 (1) (resized).JPG
    IMG_5098 (3) (resized).JPG
    IMG_5101 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Hi All, I'm brand new to Pinside so I'm hoping I'm in the right place for this question:
    Recently I've bought a 1937 Bally Arlington, it's an old "one ball" payout machine in very good shape. However, the "Electropak" transformer/power supply seems to be shot and is only putting out 2 V where it should be putting out 12V DC. I have no schematic and the game seems fairly rare as there are no known instances of ownership on the ipdb. I think it may be similar to the Bally Rocket (payout mech is the same).
    My question is this, does anyone have a suggestion as to a power source replacement? The Electropak is a 115AC to 12V converter with selinium rectifiers. I've included a couple of pics, any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

IMG_5101 (resized).JPGIMG_5101 (resized).JPG

IMG_5098 (3) (resized).JPGIMG_5098 (3) (resized).JPG

IMG_5222 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_5222 (1) (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Replacing the selenium portion with a silicon rectifier. There should be an AC output that you can tap directly into for the input on the silicon bridge, then take the output from the selenium rectifier and put it on the output of the silicon.

You'll have to trace wires and poke with your meter to figure out what's what, but it should not be too tough.

I would put a fuse on the input side of the bridge as well, while you're modifying stuff. The exact value is going to depend on the current that needs to pass into the bridge. At max, the payout circuit is running and it's shooting out $$, turning a motor. You may have to experiment till you find the fuse value that works - start with 2A and go up. It is, of course, possible to use math to find the appropriate value as well.

1 week later
    #3 6 years ago

Thank you for the advice. I found someone to rebuild the selenium rectifiers ($180) and will be installing it this week, fingers crossed.

3 months later
    #4 6 years ago

The transformer was shot so I ended up going with a Suzohapp power supply. It seems to work and the coin mech is now spitting $$. However, I'm having trouble getting power to the part that increases your odds thus increasing your payout on a win. The rest of the machine is coming along beautifully though!

IMG_5678 (resized).JPGIMG_5678 (resized).JPG

IMG_5679 (resized).JPGIMG_5679 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

I was just going to mention that a 112V AC to 12V DC power supply is very
    common and usually relatively cheap.
    An output of 12V(13.6) DC at 5 to 10 amps should be under $100.00.
    Terry K

#6 6 years ago

Quoted from Flippingout:The transformer was shot so I ended up going with a Suzohapp power supply. It seems to work and the coin mech is now spitting $$. However, I'm having trouble getting power to the part that increases your odds thus increasing your payout on a win. The rest of the machine is coming along beautifully though!

On most one-balls, you must raise the ball to the playfield first before adding more coins to advance the odds and features.

3 weeks later
    #7 6 years ago

Thanks, DD, that's good knowledge. Was wondering how that worked. Just finished the head and only have a few things left before it's done. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks to everyone, the help is much appreciated!!

#8 6 years ago

Great looking machine. Good luck

2 weeks later
    #9 6 years ago

Another "One Ball" question: So I'm just about done and have power flowing through the machine. However, it doesn't appear that you can add extra nickels to raise the odds even though it shows odds on the backglass. Instead the stepper unit that moves the odds seems to move randomely. There is no way to reset the stepper every time and no spring pulling it back to an original position but rather as a nickel is added it just spins randomly same as the stepper that picks the horse number. Sometimes you can get the #7 horse with 12-1 odds and the next time you put a nickel in you may get the #3 horse with 2-1 odds. It's still a ton of fun to play but doesn't seem logical that Bally would build a device meant for gambling (and most important meant for the machine to win) to give away free odds rather than have a person add nickels to buy the better odds. Is it possible that it's just a one nickel machine? I should also mention it says nothing about adding extra coins on the machine itself.
    Also, (sorry for the long wind) this game is the same game listed on the ipdb, not just a game like it but the SAME actual game. There are no other instances of ownership known and the man who I purchased it from was an extremely knowledgable collector. He told me he knew it to be a very very rare game. I have only seen a picture of one other on pininterest. I have a copy of an original flyer. Does anyone have any info that I am missing? The game is all original including both glass, the only thing I replaced was the transformer w/selinium rectifiers and put in a suzo-happ power supply to replace it. All else was rebuilt using what I had to work with....thoughts on rarity/value are welcome. @jmsvero, @dennisdodel, bingopodcast

bally arlington (resized).jpgbally arlington (resized).jpg

ballyarlington2 (resized).jpgballyarlington2 (resized).jpg

IMG_5720 (resized).JPGIMG_5720 (resized).JPG

IMG_5723 (resized).JPGIMG_5723 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Flippingout:

It's still a ton of fun to play but doesn't seem logical that Bally would build a device meant for gambling (and most important meant for the machine to win) to give away free odds rather than have a person add nickels to buy the better odds.

You're right, it doesn't seem logical, but that's exactly how the early one ball games were designed.

The idea being that you as a player would keep pumping in nickels hoping for your best shot. Sometimes you got it right away. Earning the award is another matter, though.

Don Hooker was the genius engineer that came up with the concept of 'guaranteed advancing odds', but this happened many years after the production of "Arlington".

In other words, it is operating exactly as it is supposed to operate.

Any chance of a video of the game in operation?

#11 6 years ago

Sure, follow this link below: This was when the odds unit was sticking a little but you can still see the machine working, I've since freed it up. I've really put a lot of time into the machine rebuilding the coin conveyor belt, replacing power unit, reassembling the payout mech, rebuilding part of the back box, refinishing wood, cleaning waxing etc.....you know the drill haha....it's been more a labor of love than anything else and I've really enjoyed it. Not sure what the next one will be but I am hooked on these things and for me anyway, the older the better!

https://www.facebook.com/Retropinballco/videos/1655674251214861/

#12 6 years ago

Like Bingopodcast said, it is working as it should. The game will pick the horse and your job is to nudge the ball to the corresponding hole to win. I watched the video, what a great looking and fun game. Congrats.

1 month later
    #13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Flippingout:

However, it doesn't appear that you can add extra nickels to raise the odds even though it shows odds on the backglass.

I've recently purchased the 'other' Arlington at the Tulsa auction. My selenium rectifiers were also kaput and putting out a whopping 8.4 amps. A $24 Schumacher batter charger innards at 6 amps does the job. Both the horses and odds should work simultaneously when the coin slot is pushed in. Their coils should fire simultaneously. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-6-2-Amp-Dual-Rate-Manual-Charger/15160135

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-supply-1937-bally-arlington?hl=jmsvero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.