By Flippingout

4 months ago

Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 week ago by DennisDodel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5679 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5678 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5222 (1) (resized).JPG
    IMG_5098 (3) (resized).JPG
    IMG_5101 (resized).JPG

#1 4 months ago

Hi All, I'm brand new to Pinside so I'm hoping I'm in the right place for this question:
    Recently I've bought a 1937 Bally Arlington, it's an old "one ball" payout machine in very good shape. However, the "Electropak" transformer/power supply seems to be shot and is only putting out 2 V where it should be putting out 12V DC. I have no schematic and the game seems fairly rare as there are no known instances of ownership on the ipdb. I think it may be similar to the Bally Rocket (payout mech is the same).
    My question is this, does anyone have a suggestion as to a power source replacement? The Electropak is a 115AC to 12V converter with selinium rectifiers. I've included a couple of pics, any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

IMG_5101 (resized).JPG

IMG_5098 (3) (resized).JPG

IMG_5222 (1) (resized).JPG

#2 4 months ago

Replacing the selenium portion with a silicon rectifier. There should be an AC output that you can tap directly into for the input on the silicon bridge, then take the output from the selenium rectifier and put it on the output of the silicon.

You'll have to trace wires and poke with your meter to figure out what's what, but it should not be too tough.

I would put a fuse on the input side of the bridge as well, while you're modifying stuff. The exact value is going to depend on the current that needs to pass into the bridge. At max, the payout circuit is running and it's shooting out $$, turning a motor. You may have to experiment till you find the fuse value that works - start with 2A and go up. It is, of course, possible to use math to find the appropriate value as well.

1 week later
    #3 4 months ago

Thank you for the advice. I found someone to rebuild the selenium rectifiers ($180) and will be installing it this week, fingers crossed.

3 months later
    #4 13 days ago

The transformer was shot so I ended up going with a Suzohapp power supply. It seems to work and the coin mech is now spitting $$. However, I'm having trouble getting power to the part that increases your odds thus increasing your payout on a win. The rest of the machine is coming along beautifully though!

IMG_5678 (resized).JPG

IMG_5679 (resized).JPG

#5 12 days ago

I was just going to mention that a 112V AC to 12V DC power supply is very
    common and usually relatively cheap.
    An output of 12V(13.6) DC at 5 to 10 amps should be under $100.00.
    Terry K

#6 12 days ago

Quoted from Flippingout:
    The transformer was shot so I ended up going with a Suzohapp power supply. It seems to work and the coin mech is now spitting $$. However, I'm having trouble getting power to the part that increases your odds thus increasing your payout on a win. The rest of the machine is coming along beautifully though!

On most one-balls, you must raise the ball to the playfield first before adding more coins to advance the odds and features.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 27.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 53.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 159.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 14.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside