(Topic ID: 215461)

Power Play Switch Matrix Row Issue

By Jordanloveslegos

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jordanloveslegos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hello, I am looking for some advice. I have purchased a Bally Power play recently. When I had bought it, a new AllTek MPU board had been installed. Worked great for 3 days. Booted it up on the fourth day and I ran into a switch error. The outhole, top saucer, left pop bumper, and top left drop target no longer registered. Originally thought it was dirt on the switches, cleaned them and received the same error. I looked at the schematics of the Switch Matrix and saw that all the switch errors were on the same row. I ran a continuity test on the connector socket that corresponds with the row, to each of the switches and there was continuity from all the switches back to the connector, so I assume that rules out broken wires or bad diodes. Then I moved on to jump testing the pins on the board itself. I entered switch test mode, and I took a known working row, and ran one of the return row pins to each of the strobe pins and it read each switch correctly. Then I did the same test with the row pin that corresponded to the malfunctioning switches and the switch test did not give me any readings on the display for any of the return pins. I then assumed that the board had been faulty, and put in another new Alltek MPU and it gave me the same error. I am out of ideas of what could be giving me the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

When you did this test, did you also remove the J3 connector from the MPU board?
The switch return line (listed as "I7" on the schematic) you're having problems with also runs to the cabinet slam switches as a yellow wire from the J3 harness at the MPU board.
If that yellow wire is shorted to ground, it likely will exhibit the symptoms you're seeing even when you directly jumper across column/row pins at the MPU J2 pin header (so long as J3 was still connected).
So one way to check it is to reconnect J2, power on the machine and start a game or go to switch test mode. Then disconnect J3 live from the MPU board while the machine is on. If those playfield switches then start responding you know the issue is in the cabinet harness.
Anyway, check that the yellow wire at the slam tilt switch on the front coin door isn't shorting to the metal bracket/frame.
Note there is also a slam switch next to the tilt plumb bob on the left side of the cabinet so check the yellow wires there too.

Thanks so much! found a crushed wire in the coin door! Got it all fixed up and the machine works great. Thanks again!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 10.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 10.00
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jordanloveslegos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-play-switch-matrix-row-issue?tu=Jordanloveslegos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.