Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Billc479
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I'm new to the site, so I'll open by saying that I own three pins: Silverball Mania, Sinbad and Bobby Orr Powerplay. Powerplay is a recent purchase and was never functional in the previous owners possession. It has a new Alltech MPU and solenoid driver board. I restore and customize cars, so I have a general knowledge of electrics...but where the hell do I start? Here are the basics: turn the machine on, it chimes- ready to start, the right half of the playfield is unlit. Insert coin, push the start button, start chimes run through their song, none of the pop ups pop up.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from lincolnv:

the right half of the playfield is unlit.

Post some pictures of the rectifier board which is the smaller board above the transformer in the back box.

Quoted from lincolnv:

Insert coin, push the start button, start chimes run through their song, none of the pop ups pop up.

There's a 1 amp slow blow fuse near the flipper mechanisms under the playfield - it might be blown if none of the playfield solenoids are working.

#3 4 years ago

Posting pictures isn't going to happen. I don't have a smart phone, the board is a rotten dog, which came with the game. The voltage coming from the test points on the board are within spec.

#4 4 years ago

The fuse under the playfield is ok. The flippers don't work either. Could this be a ground problem?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from lincolnv:

I'm new to the site, so I'll open by saying that I own three pins: Silverball Mania, Sinbad and Bobby Orr Powerplay. Powerplay is a recent purchase and was never functional in the previous owners possession. It has a new Alltech MPU and solenoid driver board. I restore and customize cars, so I have a general knowledge of electrics...but where the hell do I start? Here are the basics: turn the machine on, it chimes- ready to start, the right half of the playfield is unlit. Insert coin, push the start button, start chimes run through their song, none of the pop ups pop up.

Connectors for GI is a very common problem for this vintage Bally.

#6 4 years ago

I suggest you go to pinwiki and look over the Bally section - there's tons of detailed information about the Bally boards and how they are supposed to work.

I also like http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm for a step by step process - read through it - I think it will be a big help too. Good luck, and let us know how its going.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks Billc. That page was helpful. It states that the 6th pin on J1 should show 43v, mine shows 5.6, so of course the solenoids that I put my multimeter on are getting 5.6. The power supply board had been replaced with a rottendog and I compared it with a stock power supply that I had from my SM. It looks like the transformer wiring was soldered into the board correctly. What am I missing?

#8 4 years ago

It looks like you are missing about 37 volts. Trace the circuit from the AC output of the transformer to the output going to the Solenoids and figure out why the voltage is so low.

#9 4 years ago

Since the machine has never worked for you or the previous owner, I am going to assume you have a wiring issue.

Verify you have the proper AC voltage from the transformer into the rottendog board for the 43 volt section. If so, then we can narrow it down to something on the board.

With the coil voltage low, I don’t understand how the chimes would work on startup.

Just an off chance - is the ground braid properly tied together? You should see a braid running across the bottom of the back box and another braid coming up from the cabinet that is electrically tied together by a wing nut on a stud or a screw through them and into the wood of the back box.

Let us know.

#10 4 years ago

Thanks for all of your advice. After checking continuity on all the solenoid wiring, it turned out the only place there was no continuity was the fuse holder. Cleaned the corrosion off, and the game played like nothing was ever wrong. Replaced 4 light sockets, and solved that problem as well.

#11 4 years ago

If it happens again, check the tension on the fuse holder. Bally machines are notorious for fuse holders going bad.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-play-diagnostic-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.