Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg

#1 11 years ago

Looking in my SMB Cabinet. I'm looking at what I assume to be the power module attached to the left of the speaker (see photo). My question is, is that supposed to be there?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 11 years ago

no.

As to "why" it's there - you'll need to follow the wires and see where they've hacked it in and test and figure out what voltages it's supplying and what it is powering. Then figure out why the game/original transformer isn't supplying the necessary voltages if you want to fix it.

The most common hack is to use something like this for the 5v. But I don't know in this case...

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from examiner:

no.
As to "why" it's there - you'll need to follow the wires and see where they've hacked it in and test and figure out what voltages it's supplying and what it is powering. Then figure out why the game/original transformer isn't supplying the necessary voltages if you want to fix it.
The most common hack is to use something like this for the 5v. But I don't know in this case...

Agreed...definitely not OEM equipment...
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 11 years ago

and rasta - the original "power module" (i.e. transformer) is that big black box at the top of your picture. Between the fuse block on the right and the bridge rectifiers on the left. If everything is working correctly, that box supplies all of the voltages necessary to run your game. Something is wrong somewhere, and the prior owner added that 2nd transformer rather than fix it right.

#5 11 years ago

I figured it wasn't OEM. First hint was it's location in relation to the speaker, the other hint was the fact that it isn't bolted in securely. I do however know what it is for, if you'll note the cord coming out of the back right of the unit, that plugs into the wall socket to power the entire game. Now I have to figure out what to do next. Any ideas?

#6 11 years ago

Do you have to plug 2 cords in to get the game running, or is that the only one?

That black line that comes out of the transformer and runs up the left side of the cabinet - where does that go to?

#7 11 years ago

No. Only one plug for the game. This is where the output is hacked in at the back of the cabinet… The line comes back around and goes into F1

image.jpgimage.jpg

Post edited by Bohemianrasta : adding more info

#8 11 years ago

There's gotta be some common connection between the two transformers if you only have one plug. Anyway, where do those 2 wires run on the other side of that plug (the one the black/white wires go in to)?

What's your goal here? Fix it correctly, or just understand what is going on? (not a judgement question, just trying to figure how deep you want to go).

Also, get that ground strap attached!

#9 11 years ago

The two wires run up to F1, the line filter assembly. Then out to the power switch. This all started with the humming coming from the speaker in the cabinet and trying to diagnose that. Figured that having a power line running across it might have something to do with it, which lead to my questioning why the power transformer is even there in the first place. So basically, both. I want to understand what's happening here, and if it's interfering with clean operation, i.e.-speaker hum, fix it properly.

#10 11 years ago

OK, I missed the F1 part, sorry. Well, F1 is your line voltage fuse, so I think this thing is basically supplying 120v wall voltage to your entire game. Which means you need to use extreme caution if you are going to mess with it while the game is on.

Is there a fuse in the holder, or is it bypassed in some manner?

I have to admit to not having experience with Sys3 - most of what I know I've learned on Sys80's which are a little different. So consider all of these free thoughts for what they cost you.

I'm grasping at straws here, and hopefully somebody with more knowledge will chime in - could this be a reimport work around? Although that doesn't make conceptual sense to me....

A workaround for a bad coin door interlock switch?

Anybody else?

#11 11 years ago

Yes, there is a fuse in the holder, so it isn't bypassed, that I can tell anyways. I just can't figure out why they would have installed the transformer. I'm thinking I might have to call a tech in to check it out.

Like examiner said, anyone else have some ideas?

#12 11 years ago

Not sure if it's possible, but if you can edit your thread title to something like:

Tech: Gottlieb Sys3 transformer issues

you will attract the attention of some of the folks here who specialize in the Gottliebs. As it's titled now, it's probably not going to attract the attention of the right people. Good luck.

#13 11 years ago

Thanks examiner.

#14 11 years ago

That looks like either a step up or step down transformer, especially if its wired into the AC circuit.

Look at the serial number tags on your machine and verify the region and voltage printed on them. If I had to guess, this is a sloppy re-import job. Rather than changing the transformer connector to accept a different voltage, they used a step/down transformer.

Just a guess... might also be an auxillary transformer because the main transformer has a fault. I find that highly unlikely however since that transformer outputs multiple voltages... finding an exact spec non-oem replacement is extremely unlikely.

#15 11 years ago

So I'm assuming the game won't play without this rouge transformer? Is this transformer the only thing that plugs into the wall, and the stock transformer isn't wired to the wall?

Ground hum is common on Sys3s, the grounding was done wrong on them and there's a ground mod you can do. Also check that the third prong on the cord is in place, lots of people remove them for home use. mine buzzes a bit and I'll get to that eventually

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from cpsystem3:

That looks like either a step up or step down transformer, especially if its wired into the AC circuit.

as cp says or it's an isolation transformer. Does the rogue transformer have any markings or manufacturer name, model or serial numbers on it?

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from cpsystem3:

Look at the serial number tags on your machine and verify the region and voltage printed on them. If I had to guess, this is a sloppy re-import job.

I'm trying to learn here too, so bump up and a question....

If that is in fact the case, would this be a step-up transformer that is converting the wall voltage up to 220v (or whatever it was wired for...)? So instead of rewiring the Gottlieb transformer to accept US voltage, it's just rigged up to increase the voltage to what the machine was designed to accept as an export? And the machine is still operating on 220V? (or 240v or whatever...)

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from examiner:

I'm trying to learn here too, so bump up and a question....
If that is in fact the case, would this be a step-up transformer that is converting the wall voltage up to 220v (or whatever it was wired for...)? So instead of rewiring the Gottlieb transformer to accept US voltage, it's just rigged up to increase the voltage to what the machine was designed to accept as an export? And the machine is still operating on 220V? (or 240v or whatever...)

Yeah- thats basically my best guess.

A while back I had a Sega/Capcom Biohazard Gun Survivor arcade cabinet. It was a factory dedicated, and only came wired for 220v. It had a stock 110v -> 220v transformer installed that looked just like that.

To Bohemianrasta- an easy way to tell which voltage its wired for is to post a picture of the "butterfly plug" on the transformer panel. This plug is a jumper for the main transformer that can select between various AC voltages. If its not too dirty, you can tell which region its setup for by the color of the wires. USA games should have an ORANGE plug for 120VAC.

#19 11 years ago

I don't know what that transformer is doing but I can say that the game is *not* jumpered for 220v. The jumper plug wire color would have to be green and it looks red to me, indicating it is jumped for 110v. 200v is yellow and 240v is blue. Orange is 120v as cpsystem3 says and brown is 100v. US games were usually jumped for 110v because of them being on location with many others pulling a high load.

viperrwk

#20 11 years ago

Thanks all. I'll open it up again in a bit (I'm stripping down the left flipper (appears to be another "fantastic" custom job)) and check the info on the transformer. Okay cp, I'll catch a shot of that and post it in my next post.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens
Toppers
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-module-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.