View topic image gallery

101_0530.JPG
101_0531.JPG
101_0525.JPG
101_0528.JPG
101_0529.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hey guys,

I've managed to find myself a Bally Judge Dredd yesterday.
From what the seller told me ("everything was going alright, then i got bored of it, didn't use it for a year, and now that i want to sell it, it doesn't start"), I thought of little problem. But it seems to be a bit more tricky.

So here's the machine.
// Error: Image 252624 not found //
// Error: Image 252625 not found //
// Error: Image 252626 not found //
Basically, when I turn it on, the 5 leds on the Power Drive Board are lit (no led 2 and 3 on this board...), but no reaction from the CPU board.
I have this "boing" sound, but that's it. And no light is on, no reaction from the playfield or the dot display.
// Error: Image 252627 not found //

After testing all fuses, and spraying contact cleaner, there was one try when, after a while, the CPU board turned on, but the three leds were lit, and no flickering... And a few pixels lit randomly on the display...

I discovered that some previous batteries seemed to have leaked on the CPU board, and I tested the resistors that seemed affected. Some are dead.
// Error: Image 252628 not found //
I'm gonna change them (I guess), but I feel that this CPU board issue cannot be the origin of all these power supply problems, can it?

Thanks in advance for your help, and thanks for having a little French newbie here!

#2 9 years ago

Wylcot,

Battery damage on the MPU can cause it but it's not the most likely culprit. Battery damage usually causes issues in the switch matrix. If your meter says voltages are good on the driver board then look closely at the inductor, capacitor, and traces around J210 for corrosion damage. That is a big "if" statement - to confirm it follow the best practice documentation for diagnosing power in WPC to confirm upstream of the MPU is good before targeting the MPU.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#3 9 years ago

Step 1 is to get the CPU to boot. If it doesn't boot properly then the blanking circuit prevents just about everything else from working.

Check for 5 and 12 volts at the CPU. If those are good then remove all ribbon connectors and see if the board will boot up. If it won't then you've got a CPU problem.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks a lot, guys!
I'm working on it.

Apparently I haven't figured out how to insert my pictures into my posts, but I guess that's another challenge on my list...101_0530.JPG101_0530.JPG

101_0529.JPG101_0529.JPG 101_0528.JPG101_0528.JPG 101_0525.JPG101_0525.JPG 101_0531.JPG101_0531.JPG
#5 9 years ago

You've got some serious battery damage there, and who knows what is hidden under the IC's. Unless your day job is as an electronics tech I would send the board off to one of the board repair guys: barakandl, chris hibler, borygard and probably a few others I'm forgetting. The whole board needs to be gone through or you will have more problems down the line.

#6 9 years ago

Yup! Seems pretty serious indeed!
Alright, I assume these guys are from your continent. Not really sure if shipping it from mine and having it sent back will come out interesting in the end.
I've heard friends having their stuff stuck at the customs...
I could probably find such an expert around here... Or maybe a used but undamaged one...

#7 9 years ago

Make sure all voltages are present...
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Power-On_LEDs_and_Sound_Tones_.28Bongs.29

Post a few more pics of the alkaline damage.
From what I can see in the one pic, that MPU is a goner. It's simply not cost effective to repair it when the corrosion gets down into the parts below the ULN2803 and associated traces.

That being said, the damage may not be severe enough to prevent the MPU from booting.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#8 9 years ago

terryb nailed it. If you can find someone to repair or a replacement board on your continent go for it. That is without a doubt the biggest part of your problem.

#9 9 years ago

I think it's time for a new MPU. Rottendog makes a fine one, not too expensive. Plug and play and you'll be on your way in no time.

Marc

#10 9 years ago

Okay guys!
I have a choice between leaving it to a local repairing company (ecflipp.fr) and have to wait for a month, and buying one, apparently only available in the U.S. (and selling the one that's out of order.
In the end, there's only a 50 euro difference (let's say 60$)...
What do you guys think?

And do you have a link to a sure company selling rottendog parts?

#11 9 years ago

List of distributors:

http://rottendog.us/distributor.html

viperrwk

#12 9 years ago

Thanks a bunch!
One last question : What's that "ASIC" that I can order with?

#13 9 years ago

The ASIC is the big square chip. The BRAIN of the board.

#14 9 years ago

Okay! Cheers!
So I definitely can use the one I have on my board!(?)
Cooool!
Just called a guy from Holland (www.hyperballs.com), and he can ship tomorrow morning!
I guess I'll do that...

#15 9 years ago

Yes...however, it is not a cakewalk to remove that bugger.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Yes...however, it is not a cakewalk to remove that bugger.

Thanks for this new expression!
That's one more in the bank!

I'll try to find that tool at my local electronic store!
(or I'll ask him to do it

1 week later
#18 9 years ago

Alright!
So I received my Rottendog motherboard, but i broke two pins on the U6 while trying to take it off the old one.
So I got one today, at Ecflipp.
And it all works perfectly!!!

... or so I thought until I started playing and realized the game was a bit... dull...
In fact, I quickly understood that i couldn't lock the balls.
PROBLEM 1 : The machine tells me the lock is on, but the axis who orientates the ball towards the rings of the planet doesn't move (or there's something i misunderstood...)

So I thought the coil under it was the reason of the issue.
So i ran the test mode and
PROBLEM 2 all through the test range, for each test, instead of hearing each coil reacting, the crane and the planet move a little...

And then, playing without the glass, I realized the axis moves for the third ball to lock...

Any idea??

#19 9 years ago

Can someone tell me if that's the normal settings, please.
I think it's a shame if it was that hard to lock balls...

Also, it tells me to check switch 64, "left ramp exit"... I completely forgot what i have to do with that...
Maybe it's linked...

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from wylcot:

broke two pins on the U6 while trying to take it off the old one.
So I got one today, at Ecflipp.

And then, playing without the glass, I realized the axis moves for the third ball to lock

The ball locks are virtual unless you get the ROM for the Deadworld mod, which I thought was only available from Pinbits. If it is one of the standard ROMs it won't divert until you start multiball.
Maybe that is your only issue with the ball locks?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-issues-with-bally-judge-dredd-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.