(Topic ID: 260854)

Power inverter question

By goldenboy232

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi guys, I’ve been a bit AWOL from Pinside over the past four or five months, and one of the reasons why is because I’ve been dealing with trying to find a place for my Pinball collection.

Long story short, I’m losing access to the garage in which I have had my collection in the past 3+ years, which I’ve also used as a workshop. So in the next couple of months I’m going to have to find a new place to either put my collection in storage indefinitely, or find a new garage/workspace.

One idea I had was to put the games in a climate controlled storage unit that I currently have, and turn that into an arcade/workshop.

Like most storage units, mine does not have AC outlets of any kind in it. I was wondering if it’s feasible for me to consider using a power inverter, or even a couple of power inverters, to convert a storage space into a usable arcade/workshop? If that’s a dumb idea, my apologies, I truly know almost nothing about power inverters.

I was thinking I could put one or two in there, plug my games in to them, and also plug tools in like soldering irons, rotary tumbler, ultrasonic cleaner, etc. when I’m restoring a game.

Would something like that work? What size inverter or inverters would I need? How long does it charge typically last on one of those? Are they noisy?

Just trying to explore all my options.

#4 4 years ago

OK this is sounding like it would not be an option then. I could not run a generator in a commercial storage unit anyway.

I do have only EM games if that matters, but it sounds like I would need a huge amount of power to make this work.

Quoted from KenLayton:

You'd need a bank of deep cycle ($$$$) batteries and at least a 3,000 watt inverter (also $$$$). If you plugged your games into the inverter, you might be lucky to get 2 hours run time before the batteries die. For what you are proposing, a 3,000 watt generator would be better and give longer run time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-inverter-question?tu=goldenboy232 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.