(Topic ID: 307793)

Issue with Power Driver Board WPC95 (SafeCracker)

By marioparty34

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

connector wrong (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
2d22c78e093af801164828df52f364a4c1aa26a1 (resized).jpg
20220110_215430 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I need some help.

I just got my Power Driver PCB back from repair. I took some pretty detailed pics of where all the connectors go before it left.

When I turned it on after reinstallation, none of the GI came on and the solenoids don't work (basically nothing on the pf works), but the flippers do and the coin door buttons work as well.

I went back and reseated everything again and triple checked everything. Why won't my playfield come to life? How have I screwed this up?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

Hey marioparty34

Deep breath… inhale.. exhale..

First, sorry that you are still having issues. Nothing worse than the excitement of playing your game after waiting for board repair, only to have that stripped away by having more issues.. if you haven’t already figured out, this is the joy of working on pinball

Grab that DMM and start testing every little fuse on that driver board. I blew the unregulated 12v on my SC not that long ago and had similar issues. Working in the back box of this machine is a PAIN! Let us know what you come up with!

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

I just got my Power Driver PCB back from repair. I took some pretty detailed pics of where all the connectors go before it left.

Rear of the manual has the connector/driver board info. If you don't have the manual you can download it from here - https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl

Go over connectors again. Especially ribbon cables. Red stripe pin one and not off by a row.

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from ruralcollector:

Hey marioparty34
Deep breath… inhale.. exhale..
First, sorry that you are still having issues. Nothing worse than the excitement of playing your game after waiting for board repair, only to have that stripped away by having more issues.. if you haven’t already figured out, this is the joy of working on pinball
Grab that DMM and start testing every little fuse on that driver board. I blew the unregulated 12v on my SC not that long ago and had similar issues. Working in the back box of this machine is a PAIN! Let us know what you come up with!

I am feeling a lot of 'JOY' right now. Lol

I appreciate the advice on the deep breathes. I think I have sucked all the air out of the room already.

I had some extra fuses so I changed them all out. Still no go.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Rear of the manual has the connector/driver board info. If you don't have the manual you can download it from here - https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl
Go over connectors again. Especially ribbon cables. Red stripe pin one and not off by a row.

Hi LTG!
I have reseated all the connectors several times. But I may keep missing the same thing, so here is a pic of my board powered on. The fuses are good as I just changed them all out.

I just wanted to clarify that initially I said my flippers work, but I meant in the sense SC will react to them with speech if I press them, but they will not fire in a game.

I must be missing something so simple.

20220110_215430 (resized).jpg20220110_215430 (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

I have reseated all the connectors several times.

I didn't ask to reseat them. I said to check them with the manual if they are in the correct spots. The ribbon cable - red stripe pin one each end and not off by a row.

The fuses are good as I just changed them all out.

Too cool. This is where a meter comes in handy. If good no need to replace. If bad, then replace. Then check the new one. See if you blew it again.

I must be missing something so simple.

Miss a connector in the wire bundle or stuck behind the board ?

#7 2 years ago

Is the one circled in yellow facing the right direction ?

2d22c78e093af801164828df52f364a4c1aa26a1 (resized).jpg2d22c78e093af801164828df52f364a4c1aa26a1 (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Is the one circled in yellow facing the right direction ?
[quoted image]

Yes, it is correct. Gray/Green is on the bottom in position 1.

I just printed out those pages from the manual. I am going to double check I am not missing a connection or if it's the wrong way.

FYI- I did check all the fuses with a DMM, but I was so frustrated I decided to change them all out. I kept all the ones I took out to reuse later.

I will report back.

Thanks!

#9 2 years ago

For the solenoids, do you have the coin door closed?

This one 3 pin (middle pin is the key) connector seems to be disconnected at the bottom left side of the driver board. Pretty sure this one turns on the GI.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

For the solenoids, do you have the coin door closed?
This one 3 pin (middle pin is the key) connector seems to be disconnected at the bottom left side of the driver board. Pretty sure this one turns on the GI.
[quoted image]

That's J104. According to the manual, it's not used. And yes, my coin door is closed. Thanks!

#11 2 years ago

Top right connection with the 2 red wires and the blue wires. Should that be swapped with the connector directly below it? Check the manual to be sure and look to see if they can be swapped by looking at the pins.

#12 2 years ago

Bummer!!

Did you reseat the short ribbon cable between the driver board and CPU board? This is one to make sure that there are no bent pins and that it is not plugged in one row off.

Was the CPU board sent for repair ?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Homebar124:

Top right connection with the 2 red wires and the blue wires. Should that be swapped with the connector directly below it? Check the manual to be sure and look to see if they can be swapped by looking at the pins.

It is correct. You are thinking about a WPC game where it would be swapped with the one below it. These 2 connectors have different number of pins in each.

#14 2 years ago

Page 3-24 in the manual. Do you have J133 and J132 right ? Doesn't look so in your picture.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Page 3-24 in the manual. Do you have J133 and J132 right ? Doesn't look so in your picture.

OK. I just went through the whole thing matching wire color/connector with location on the Powerboard.

I had to move J123 to J121 and swapped J126 and J125. What is weird is I had taken very detailed pics of every connector location prior to sending it off and that's how they were with the game working before. Nonetheless, I have made the change so that it matches the manual perfectly.

Still no go.

Regarding J133 and J132, the connectors are of different number pins. One is a 6 and one is a 3. I have those in the correct location. J132 is not used according to the manual.

#16 2 years ago

Bummer!!
Did you reseat the short ribbon cable between the driver board and CPU board? This is one to make sure that there are no bent pins and that it is not plugged in one row off.
Was the CPU board sent for repair ?

Yes. I have doubled checked the short ribbon cable.

Just the power board was sent out for repair. Safecracker worked great with the exception of the left token dispenser. It was discovered I needed a new TIP36C power transistor (Q67) and some new 1n4004 diodes (D73, D78).

#17 2 years ago

Seems the driver board is missing the signal from the CPU board. With power off, press on the square U9 ASIC chip on the CPU board.

#18 2 years ago

Seems the driver board is missing the signal from the CPU board. With power off, press on the square U9 ASIC chip on the CPU board.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what I am feeling for? Or what is suppose to happen?

#19 2 years ago

Sorry for my ignorance, but what I am feeling for? Or what is suppose to happen?

When you press on the chip it might give out a clear "CLICK" as it snaps into the socket. Over time they can wriggle lose. It may do nothing.

#20 2 years ago

Trying to press it back in the IC socket.

#21 2 years ago

Don't be too sure about the position of the short flat ribbon cable either. I put this one in the WRONG position to demonstrate how it is easy to 'think' you have it correct but it isn't - in this picture the plug is installed one row to the right of correct position.

connector wrong (resized).pngconnector wrong (resized).png
#22 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Don't be too sure about the position of the short flat ribbon cable either. I put this one in the WRONG position to demonstrate how it is easy to 'think' you have it correct but it isn't - in this picture the plug is installed one row to the right of correct position.[quoted image]

THAT WORKED!

I am such an idiot! I probably reseated that 10 times today and I was off everytime.

Thanks everyone for helping me. A million blessings to you!

I can finally sleep peacefully.

#23 2 years ago

Only took 3rd time to be asked. No biggie. Play ball!!

#24 2 years ago

Only took 3rd time to be asked. No biggie. Play ball!!

You need PICTURES, duh! Reading is so 2021

Quoted from pins4u:

Don't be too sure about the position of the short flat ribbon cable either. I put this one in the WRONG position to demonstrate how it is easy to 'think' you have it correct but it isn't - in this picture the plug is installed one row to the right of correct position.[quoted image]

You are a legendary <1y
I’m sincerely impressed! It seems like we usually get endless trolls, but you’ve been in a lot of the tech threads giving out excellent advice!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-driver-board-wpc95-safecracker?hl=homebar124 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.