1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flipper (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrishibler.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 1 year ago

An OEM board is always preferred to any aftermarket board.
Years of data and fault information have been accumulated for the OEM boards. We know how to repair them.

Some folks might cite "preventive maintenance" but I'm in the "if it ain't broke" camp. I have backup PCBs, but I'll never remove a perfectly working board to futz with it or replace it. A few exceptions: NVRAM or at least moving batteries off the board, Gottlieb System 80B/3 power supply and Classic BallyStern Power/Driver board voltage trim pots (these can fail in ways that allow much higher than design voltage onto power busses. And of course, if someone sends a board to me for repair, I'll bulletproof it to remove the possibility of future issues (cap C2 on a WPC Power/Driver board, for instance...it leaks). No sense in shipping a board more than once.

The very best aftermarket board would be a trace for trace copy of the OEM board, with minimum deviations to accommodate better design (such as replacing bridge rectifiers with gangs of diodes). Aftermarket boards should follow the part naming of the OEM board as close as possible. And of course, an aftermarket board should work...like the OEM board.

PinLED makes a nice board. My only comment on it is that a bunch of logic on the OEM Power/Driver board was replaced by a single CPLD with proprietary PinLED code. If that chip goes, it's back to PinLED for repair.

RottenDog...no comment. We're all up to speed on the issues there.

DumbAss Power/Driver board...made meticulously by a perfectionist with a stellar reputation. I have no hesitancy whatsoever using any DumbAss board in my games or in my client's games.

There are other aftermarket WPC boards out there, but I don't have enough experience with them to fairly comment.

I do like the design decision made by some to use surface mount chips (for ease and speed of manufacturing) with the PCB designed such that if the SM part fails, it can be removed, and replaced in a provided through-hole location. Alltek does this for some boards. Weebly does it for his 6803 MPU, Bally/Stern Lamp Driver and Solenoid Driver boards, and perhaps others. Someone made a WPC MPU with this design but I can't recall who that was.

Gottlieb System 80/A/B aftermarket MPUs are all difficult to work on as none of them mimic the OEM board.

My opinions only. YMMV, of course.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 40.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrishibler.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-driver-board-original-vs-reproduction?tu=chrishibler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.