(Topic ID: 264909)

Power Diminishes From First Turning Game On - Normal?

By Genieye

11 days ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Genieye
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 days ago

When I first turn the Genie on in the morning she is so powerful, everything is popping but as its played or on that diminishes some. I have been having issues with my Genie with weak drop target coils at times and was wondering if that is normal for it to loose some pop after it has been on awhile or if that is a power supply issue. I have a 12 year old Rottendog PS in it along with a new CPU and Driver. Thanks

#2 11 days ago

Don't know much ado about Gottliebs but sounds like a capacitor issue to me. Have the power caps ever been replaced?

#3 11 days ago

Have you replaced any of the connectors to the boards in the backbox?

#4 10 days ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Don't know much ado about Gottliebs but sounds like a capacitor issue to me. Have the power caps ever been replaced?

Genie has a new NI-Wumpf CPU and Driver. The PS is 12 years old. The biggest issue is the lower drop target coil gets weak and eventually try to reset then retreat. With each new ball they pop back up fine then it plays fine with them resetting normally then it will happen again. They also will reset before all the targets are down too at times.

I have checked the switches and pins I think are associated but cannot seem to fine the problem. Could it be a board issue or something else I have not located? Here is a 10 second video of the targets not resetting and then resetting fine right after wards. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.mistymorningimages.com/Misc-Video-Clips/i-7DtdDT7/A

#5 10 days ago

Likely the affected coils are heating up and the plunger is getting tight in the sleeve. I would try new coil sleeves and maybe monitor the temperature.

1 week later
#6 2 days ago

I am happy to report the drop target problem was due to an old coil sleeve. I was surprised as with the old one it was very smooth when you manually moved the plunger in and out but as mentioned it must have been heat or something that caused it to bind just enough to keep the targets from popping up. I truly appreciate all you chimed in to help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 8.40
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 289.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 30.40
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside