(Topic ID: 226920)

Power consumption of electro-mechanical era games?

By RyanClaytor

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Does anyone know the amperage/powerconsumption/current draw/wattage of electro-mechanical era games? I'm looking into a basement remodel and an electrician wants to know. My 1990 Whirlwind says 8 amps. Are the older ones the same?

Thanks for your time,
    Ryan

#2 1 year ago

If I'm not mistaken, most games amperage peak at around 2-3 amps. So a 20A breaker can easily handle 6 or so games.

#3 1 year ago

I have found it to be 2-3 amps per game as well. The 8 amps on your Whirlwind seems high. Do you have LEDs in it?

#4 1 year ago

That's just whats written on the label. Real world metering will be, like others have said, 2 to 3A. 6 games per 20A (#12) 120V circuit will be just fine.

#5 1 year ago

I can't answer your specific question, but keep in mind that the worst case current draw is likely to be when the game is first powered on. It's called the inrush current and can be several times the normal current draw which may account for the 8 amps on the label vs the 2-3 amps observed. So if you're going to turn games on one at a time your worst case current will be much lower than if you have switched outlets (which I highly recommend BTW) to turn several games on simultaneously.

/Mark

#6 1 year ago

6 machines on a 20a 5 machines on a 15 amp

#7 1 year ago

This thread from a few weeks ago will answer all of your questions.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-size-breaker-would-suffice-for-5-6-modern-pins-

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

I can't answer your specific question, but keep in mind that the worst case current draw is likely to be when the game is first powered on. It's called the inrush current and can be several times the normal current draw which may account for the 8 amps on the label vs the 2-3 amps observed. So if you're going to turn games on one at a time your worst case current will be much lower than if you have switched outlets (which I highly recommend BTW) to turn several games on simultaneously.
    /Mark

Yeah, I have a kill switch on my electrical outlets circuit in plain sight but I don't use it to turn the games on/off. I turn them on individually for the reason you state.

When I have a bunch of people over and the house is all lit up in most rooms and the 28 games will be lit up and many of them in simultaneous play, I've had the breakers break and the house go dark. So, before the party starts, what I do now is tape black electrical tape over the light switches anywhere in the house that is on the same circuit(s) as the pinballs, so guests know not to flip them on, and I light up the house using different circuits. Haven't had a problem since.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from vanilla:

Yeah, I have a kill switch on my electrical outlets circuit in plain sight but I don't use it to turn the games on/off. I turn them on individually for the reason you state.

I worked at an arcade for a long time and turned all games on via breakers every day, never had any issues.

#10 1 year ago

I have 6 on a 15 amp circuit. They have all been played at the same time with no issues.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 149.00
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 45.00
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 21.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.00
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 234.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 115.00
    Boards
    AMCO
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside