24.jpg
16.jpg
26.jpg
25.jpg
20.jpg
19.jpg
18.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Just recently at Modern Pinball NYC our Twlight zone and Avatar Powerballs became gray to the point that you could no longer discern them from the other balls in the machines.

I have heard that cleaning them was to no avail due to the way the discoloration takes place.

At a cost of $50 dollars a piece replacing them was not too good an option.

I read that using a buffing wheel with polishing compound works but since many don't have such tools I have come up with a way anyone can restore their PowerBalls with a little effort and about $5.

Simply buy a pack of the Green colored ScotchBrite pads.

You will need at least 5 and both sides must be used.

Simply place a pad on a hard smooth surface take ball in hand and rub away the gray.

Of course you are actually polishing the surface so you are taking down the ball just a little bit.

I don't have to tell you to rotate the ball constantly with your rubbing motion.

Once the surface of the pad is worn, it doesn't take much, flip it over and use the other side.

Repeat process 5 times then wipe ball polishing residue off with some Brillianeze or Windex with Vinegar using a soft cloth and your done.

Place that nice White Power Ball back in your machine.

16.jpg16.jpg 18.jpg18.jpg 19.jpg19.jpg 20.jpg20.jpg 24.jpg24.jpg 25.jpg25.jpg 26.jpg26.jpg
#2 9 years ago

Nice Eddie, well done. I'm wondering if anyone has tried a tumbler. Not as cheap as your method and puts it in the power tool category but easier if it works. Just a thought.

Kim

#3 9 years ago

What are powerballs made of? Would teeth whitener work? Trying to think outside the cabinet.

#4 9 years ago

This looks like it works great.

I have always wondered about using a tumbler and a softer meduim like walnut shells or something compairable.

Also with the scotchbrite method you should wash and dry them and try the procedure again on another powerball.

That is a lot of scotchbrite pads for one ball but not if they are re usable.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Trying to think outside the cabinet.

I will use this one.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

What are powerballs made of? Would teeth whitener work? Trying to think outside the cabinet.

They are made of a porous ceramic whereby the metal dust in the playfield gets beneath the surface of the ball.

You have to grind (Polish) off the surface layer and then the layer containing the debris.

#7 9 years ago

Man, I've never seen a powerball look like THAT... must get a TON of play!

#8 9 years ago

I put ours in the tumbler with a batch of regular pinballs. Came out looking like new. But I usually tumble for 2 days so if you need it faster the scotch brite would be the way to go.

I have a picture but it won't allow me to upload images from my phone

1 week later
#9 9 years ago

I read a service bulletin several years ago (can't find it now) that Bally recommended never cleaning the power ball - something about changing its characteristics. Seems like what you are doing should not matter - but did anyone else see that or does anyone else have concerns about approaching it with an abrasive? So I have never tried to clean mine - and it is as dark as yours was before you cleaned it.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

On the lines of what I was thinking. I wonder if soaking them in Polydent would work?

#11 9 years ago

I have had no issues of performance or restoration using a buffing wheel motor mounted, with Brown cutting Tripoli,
and Green Zam polishing....Stay away from red...carcinogenic...
I would imagine I polished off 1/10th of a gram....nothing to worry about.

#12 9 years ago

How about Coca-Cola or Gasoline?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-ball-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.