2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BerryBlots_Jawbreaker (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Just wondering if anyone tried powder coating a ball? Painting? Other coatings?

#2 2 years ago

This is a horrible idea, unless you like the idea of powdercoat leavings and and an uneven ball in your machine.

#3 2 years ago

Wouldn't be able to powdercoat it without a flat spot.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is a horrible idea

That's what I thought. I am wondering if anyone tried it, and how quickly it degraded. What about as a captive ball that doesn't get a lot of direct impact?

What about other alternate balls? I know there is the ceramic ball from TZ, and people sell a few with some designs heat treated into them. What about a brass ball, or a durable polished stone.

Something like this:
    ebay.com link » Malachite Natural Sphere 27 Mm Sc13 6 Dr Congo

#5 2 years ago

I've seen some "colored" balls at pinball life and other vendors.

I'd never put one of these in a game of mine. Pinballs are not the place to get cute.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Couldn't you tumble/polish it smooth?

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pinballs are not the place to get cute.

I'm waiting for the first semi-transparent color changing LED pinball to be the next big thing. The I'll believe we have done it all.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from FunkyFreshWalrus:

If you want to know the damage that a non-spherical pinball can do to your game, check Gottlieb System 3 games from the 90s. Gottlieb decided to save about 4 cents per pinball buying defective, unfinished ball bearings. These "soft" balls ended up DESTROYING the paint between the flippers and below the mylar on tons of these games.

Thankfully, nobody really cared because these games sucked anyway, but still...not a good idea to even entertain taking a chance like this on your pinball machine.

#9 2 years ago

It's not that. You just couldn't physically powdercoat the entire ball. It needs to sit somewhere as you can't hang it to powder coat.

#10 2 years ago

can't be done or will never be perfect. i could go with brass just for fun but that's about it.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

It's not that. You just couldn't physically powdercoat the entire ball. It needs to sit somewhere as you can't hang it to powder coat.

Float it above a couple well placed magnets?

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Float it above a couple well placed magnets?

The only problem is the magnets...how do they work?

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The only problem is the magnets...how do they work?

I'll let you know as soon as I figure out these damn tides.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've seen some "colored" balls at pinball life

2015's open house really was pretty crazy.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

2015's open house really was pretty crazy.

I'm sorry...I meant balls of color.

#16 2 years ago

Just wondering if anyone tried powder coating a ball? Painting? Other coatings?

This has to be in the running as one of the stupidest things ever on this site, and that's saying a lot.

#17 2 years ago

Just throw some jawbreakers in there and be done with it.

BerryBlots_Jawbreaker (resized).jpg

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

This has to be in the running as one of the stupidest things ever on this site, and that's saying a lot.

I never said it was a good idea. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

It would be done as a gimmick in a beater parts game if anything. I know there is the TZ ceramic ball, and the Viper Night Driving balls. The viper balls are coated steel balls. So there must be some way to get a round coating on a ball.

#19 2 years ago

VND is a plastic coated ball, injection molded. terrible balls, they get out of round immediately. the current plastic coated balls do the same thing. the only good thing about these coated balls is the plastics are soft so they don't chip and grind the PF.The ceramic ball in TZ is created round not coated over steel.

#20 2 years ago

What I've been wondering is if anyone's ever tried putting super balls in a pinball machine... I would imagine that the friction could do quite a bit of damage, but I'm still surprised I've never seen anyoney try it.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

What I've been wondering is if anyone's ever tried putting super balls in a pinball machine.

Tried it for laughs. It was too light to work. I could launch it, if it managed to make it out into the shooter lane. But the first roll over it hit would just stop it.

That's what led me down this road. The game I was playing around with is a players Tri-Zone that is worn down to wood so bad its really not ever being salvaged.

#22 2 years ago

I don't know how easy this would be to do with a pinball, due to the weight, but in our Mechanical / Process Engineering lab way back when we used to spray conformal coating on ping-pong balls by floating them in a stream of air. This causes the ball to spin in mid air and the conformal coating, which was very thin, was sprayed on with a airbrush. Why were we doing this? I don't remember the initial reason but man did it add to the complexity of our ping-pong matches (we had a table in the break room), not only could you put a lot more spin on the ball but when you did and it hit the table it would REALLY take off in some fun ways. Clearly this project was not sponsored by management.

#23 2 years ago

When everyone is absolutely appalled at how horrible your idea is, you know you might be on to something!

I've been powder coating pinball parts and all kinds of other things for a while, and I'm pretty sure I could powder coat a pinball. I'm also pretty sure I could get it as close to round as any other non-coated pinball. Powder coating does a great job of laying down a very consistent thickness. All that said, I'm not confident in how long the final coating would last. I'm thinking it would work best on early solid state games that are inherently less violent. Your captive ball idea would work even better but obviously be limited in how visible it is.

If we suspend disbelief in the concept of being able to powder coat a pinball. What games/colors would be the best to change? I just finished shopping a Globetrotters and I'm thinking a "basketball orange" colored pinball would look pretty cool with the theme.

-Jay

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

I just finished shopping a Globetrotters and I'm thinking a "basketball orange"

Yes, that would be awesome for any basketball themed game.

Multiple colored balls in multiball would look really cool.

What about anodized aluminium balls? They would be much lighter than steel, but how would they compare in weight to the TZ ceramic ball?

#25 2 years ago

Aluminum would be horrible. Too soft and would dent the first time it hit something harder.

#26 2 years ago

Im thinking about powdercoating my balls.... do you think it will hurt ? Do i need to shave first in order for the powder to stick ? ...

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

What I've been wondering is if anyone's ever tried putting super balls in a pinball machine... I would imagine that the friction could do quite a bit of damage, but I'm still surprised I've never seen anyoney try it.

Not quite...But I did make post sleeves out of cores drilled from a super ball!

Big improvement!

Ive spent many hours and letters since 1968 to Wham-o to make Rubbers out of Super Ball Material...no luck...even Matt was looking into....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 199.99
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 17.50
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.99
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside