Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0414 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0625 (resized).PNG
    #1 7 years ago

I was talking about powder coating my rails and legs on Metalica to a friend (outside of pinball loop) and he said he would automotive paint with coating. His reasoning was that powder coating can chip. I never even considered this before. Anyone have knowledge of this subject and why I might want to or not want to use one method over the other?

#2 7 years ago

Auto paint will chip as well. Properly done PC is stronger and can take more abuse than Auto paint.

I went with Auto paint on my BOP because I couldn't find the nice candy purple I was looking for in PC. If you can get the color you want in PC I would do that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

If you can get the color you want in PC I would do that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Agreed.

#4 7 years ago

In my experience you have much more color variety with paint. Touch up is also easier. Powder coating is more resistant to damage. Many times if the substrate is dented the powder coating will bend in sympathy with it where paint tends to crack and eventually flake.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks guys! I appreciate the quick responses!!

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Auto paint with chip as well. Properly done PC is stronger and can take more abuse than Auto paint.
    I went with Auto paint on my BOP because I couldn't find the nice candy purple I was looking for in PC. If you can get the color you want in PC I would do that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Your BOP is one of the most stellar machines I've laid eyes on BTW!!!

#7 7 years ago

I copied and pasted this from the "show off your powder coated games thread...someone in that thread asked about auto paint...
    I don't have any of my games powder coated. I have done all mine with automotive paint and clear. I have had them all to several shows and they hold up fine. There is some chipping from folks with rings and just general travel dings, but I have extra paint for touch ups and it's not hard to touch up. But then I also have an AC/DC here with the original red powder coating that has some dings in it and it has not been to any shows. So with either there is the possibility for chipping...

Phoebe

P1010024_(resized).JPG
    P1010012_(resized).JPG
    P7230035_(resized).JPG
    P7230002_(resized).JPG
    P9150038_(resized).JPG
    P9150036_(resized).JPG
    P9150043_(resized).JPG

(I guess the pics didn't copy & paste...it is post #160 from the other thread)
    I actually did all the trim...Shooter housing, hinges, apron, even the speaker panels. The auto paint shop I get my paint from gave me a color book, with every car color in there. So I can pick from any of them, or if I have something specific, I take him a sample color, and he makes it for me ie. the purple on MET is a mixed color, he named it Metallica pinball purple. So if I need more, I just take the code back to him and he will mix me more. The detail stuff is a bit more difficult with the auto paint, cause it is harder to deal with when painting with a brush but I dealt with it and made it work and in the end I am happy with my results.

Phoebe

#8 7 years ago

Thanks Phoebe. I appreciate the time you put into your answer. It does appear that it is not a disaster to go either way. My big concern was it being just a terrible thing. I'm probably leaning towards powder coat but I'll keep an open mind and see what the local people will do either for me for.

#9 7 years ago

They are both equally strong, if the automotive paint is properly clear coated. The primary difference with powder coating is extra rubbing resistance, and surface texture feel. If you are placing a game in your home, you will have more choice with paint, including reflective effects.

#10 7 years ago

I'll add one last thing for you.

Auto is much easier to remove if you change your mind. Proper powder coat is a PITA to remove unless you are a pro.

Just keep that in mind if you think you may change things up. I'll still say, if PC has the color you want go that way.

#11 7 years ago

Great question OP and even better answers, I am looking to do my Ironman and Goldeneye armour and have been wondering what to do with it and this thread has been a big help.

#12 7 years ago

Paint is usually thinner... which can be an advantage at times.
    Powder coat can chip... but it's used because it takes a ton more abuse before that happens than just regular paint... which will scratch right off while powder coat will laugh it off

Paint will wear much more on things like lockdown bars etc.

#13 7 years ago

Where does one get automotive paint?

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

Depends.

Rattle can - any auto parts store
    2 part - order it or find a local store. Some auto parts stores carry it but most don't. Auto body shops will paint for you too.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

I normally order directly online for the high end paints.
    What are you specific requirements? Colors, finishes, shimmers, application surface type, etc
    "Rattle cans" are not the best option.
    There are three reasons.
    One, some automotive shops will not paint previously coated parts due to reactions with the clears they use.
    Two, they will do a much better job of paint adhesion with their ovens.
    Three, they will not touch wood in most cases due to porosity.
    Of course that depends, if you have the resources available yourself for spray booth or dryers.

If you contact your local shops, they can ensure that they will do the final work.
    You can even bring them the paints you want to use and save the money, while getting exactly what YOU want.

I did this for my MET PM (automotive paint + clear) as alternative for a couple of parts, and it matched the powdercoating perfectly.
    Less than than $150 total for three parts.
    However, I am not going to do this again to another machine, as it was purely an experiment mostly for interest.
    Durability is superb, the project just took to long to get everything done, one part at a time.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

Sherwin-Williams has stand alone brick and mortar automotive stores. There's one one Phoenix. IMG_0625 (resized).PNGIMG_0625 (resized).PNG

Auto paint isn't cheapIMG_0414 (resized).JPGIMG_0414 (resized).JPG that's with my contractor discount.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I'll add one last thing for you.
    Auto is much easier to remove if you change your mind. Proper powder coat is a PITA to remove unless you are a pro.
    Just keep that in mind if you think you may change things up. I'll still say, if PC has the color you want go that way.

If you change your mind, you just buy a set of new legs. They're not that expensive.

And I'm in the "powder coating" camp. Painted doesn't hold up anywhere near as well in my experience.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

If you change your mind, you just buy a set of new legs. They're not that expensive.
    And I'm in the "powder coating" camp. Painted doesn't hold up anywhere near as well in my experience.

Agreed. I have tried sandblasting both painted and powdered. Only one came off from sandblasting. I'll give you a guess which one. It starts with a P and ends with aint.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

They are both equally strong, if the automotive paint is properly clear coated. The primary difference with powder coating is extra rubbing resistance, and surface texture feel. If you are placing a game in your home, you will have more choice with paint, including reflective effects.

Completely false. Take a wedding ring and rub it on your car and see what happens. Do the same on a powder coated locked down bar and nothing happens. The wedding ring is an object a player will likely be wearing and it will year up your painted lockdown bar.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powder-coat-vs-automotive-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.