Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bud
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image2 (resized).jpg
    BA543B86-04C4-42C0-AF66-699175E716B8 (resized).png
    giphy.gif
    20200313_103001 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    zzzzz8592099-man-wearing-gas-mask-showing-ok-sign (resized).jpg
    nambypamby02 (resized).jpg
    453120_1 (resized).jpg
    There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

bet he has no wife and no kids.... or a dog!

He used to....

Until they all beat him in games, were ceremoniously hit, then all left town in a chuckwagon together.

Wife at checkers, and beer chugging.

Kids at hopscotch and nosepicking.

Dog.......clearly at pinball.

#52 4 years ago

I’ve never understood taking frustrations out on the machine. With my typical lackluster skill at play, I’d be bashing the glass all the time if that was my practice. Why stop with the glass? Why not remove it, grab the flippers, and show THEM how frustrated you are?

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Why stop with the glass? Why not remove it, grab the flippers, and show THEM how frustrated you are?

Well that's "technically" not allowed in tournament play

#54 4 years ago

greatwichjohn -- Yeah, the drunk posting is never a good idea.

And yeah, in a fit of frustration, pretty much everyone has done something they wish they hadn't.

But to make it a habit, and "brag/post/ask" about it? C'mon man.

#55 4 years ago

There's a lockdown bar about two inches below where these guys strike the glass. I don't get it.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

...I stock most tempered glass with no logo (stamp).

So is this thread a round about sales pitch? I'm confused...

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

So is this thread a round about sales pitch? I'm confused...

If it is, not the smartest IMO. Who would now be inclined to choose him to do business with lol. What if you upset him during a transaction

#58 4 years ago

Are you kidding me!?!? Only psychos hit the glass. I have PDI glass in my machine and if someone hit it they would definitely be getting a talking to. Side story, Back when cactus canyon first came out me and a few of my buddies would go to the arcade to play pinball. One of them was an angry pinball player and when he lost the game he picked up the front of the machine and dropped it. It destroyed the wood that the legs bolt into. He was only an angry person when playing pinball for some reason.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from sizzler747:

It destroyed the wood that the legs bolt into.

That's a crappily made body right there unless he picked it up 4 feet.

#60 4 years ago

So, according to this guy, verbally stating "I'll pony up if I break it" makes it ok to beat the crap out of someone else's pins. What a crock of shit. This guy sucks.

#61 4 years ago

Adding a new pinsider to my list of people banned from my home.

#62 4 years ago

You guys need to relax with the hatred! I have never broken a glass on location & never heard of anyone breaking a tempered glass by banging on it in 40 years. My offer is open to anyone in my area, even if the glass explodes in the owners hands or handling (seen this myself). I do not go to local collectors & beat on the glass. I do not wear rings or anything else. Just games that are definitely not up to par on location. After this I will try to refrain from doing it in the future. Likely I am not the only one to admit to doing this, but after all the comments I am sure no one will chime in. Others do the same along with the owners which I have seen first hand. I do not kick the door, legs, or drop games. But I have seen others do it. For all the guys with the negative comments towards me, look closely at yourself! I personally would never hurl the personal attacks as seen here. For the local guys who know me, they have seen many games in the past sent to the dump or burned up. Which seems to also get comments here.

#63 4 years ago

Say he will come to my house and beat on my games
    I say you are not welcome
    Now says he’s really not that mean to games, only sometimes
    I say still not welcome

FYI: I’ve never mistreated someone else’s game, location or home. I respect their property and try to play better.

#64 4 years ago

You guys need to relax with the hatred! I have never broken a glass on location & never heard of anyone breaking a tempered glass by banging on it in 40 years. My offer is open to anyone in my area, even if the glass explodes in the owners hands or handling (seen this myself). I do not go to local collectors & beat on the glass. I do not wear rings or anything else. Just games that are definitely not up to par on location. After this I will try to refrain from doing it in the future. Likely I am not the only one to admit to doing this, but after all the comments I am sure no one will chime in. Others do the same along with the owners which I have seen first hand. I do not kick the door, legs, or drop games. But I have seen others do it. For all the guys with the negative comments towards me, look closely at yourself! I personally would never hurl the personal attacks as seen here. For the local guys who know me, they have seen many games in the past sent to the dump or burned up. Which seems to also get comments here.

Were you the guy we saw at TPF this year who hit the glass on MM when you drained ball 3?

#65 4 years ago

Many overblown comments- Yes, yes, yes.... broken glass sucks and one should probably not get overly agressive with someone elses property... but if its my game- I am playing well and competing with a buddy- and a ball shoots right down a side lane or STDM- damn straight I might hit the lock bar.

How many times were PF glass broken in the 70’s in bar environments? To me thats the real Q- cause if it was rare then the chance of you actualy breaking glass this way is pretty dang low.

There- I said it and I don’t even know John

#66 4 years ago

Ever see a game with a pristine glass and cabinet and a chewed up playfield? Check inside the cabinet for small, even tiny remnants of a broken glass.

In my experience, breaking a playfield glass will do more damage than just the cost of the glass.

#67 4 years ago

I have definitely smacked my glass or LDB or wall (or or or) on an occasion of frustration from time to time. Key word being "MY". I would never even think to do that with property that wasn't mine.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Sounds like you have anger issues.
    P.s Your poor play screwed you, not the game!

Quoted from bintzknocker:

Not the machines fault. Play better.

Right, because a ball flying off a wireform because the shot was TOO clean is poor play, and not an issue with how the game is set up, right?

Damn, you guys really should rub a few brain cells together every once in a while. Not everything that happens with a pinball machine is due to 'poor play'.

That said, don't think it's a great idea to beat the hell out of everyone's games. Doesn't matter if you pay for the glass....let me tell you after cleaning up a game with broken glass in it...those playfields are never the same, even after being completely cleaned and re-cleared. There's tiny glass particles all over the place and they DO scratch up the new clear. No way to get 100% of it out, and it's not obviously visible to the naked eye.

*edit* I beat the crap out of my own games, and never had anything break. The broken glass was from a shipping disaster.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

*edit* I beat the crap out of my own games, and never had anything break. The broken glass was from a shipping disaster.

You cannot hide the truth so easily! “shipping” disaster..... yeah.... sure?

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

That said, don't think it's a great idea to beat the hell out of everyone's games. Doesn't matter if you pay for the glass....let me tell you after cleaning up a game with broken glass in it...those playfields are never the same, even after being completely cleaned and re-cleared. There's tiny glass particles all over the place and they DO scratch up the new clear. No way to get 100% of it out, and it's not obviously visible to the naked eye

This times 1,000. Shattered playfield glass basically turns to “sharp dust” that damages your game for years after. The OP saying he would replace the glass doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface (pardon the pun) of the damage this event causes.

Anyone who pounds on glass post drain in my league (after a warning) gets banned for life and other tourney directors in the region will be informed of any player who doesn’t respect the property of others.

#71 4 years ago

Totally not the "pounding on a pinball machine" thread I was expecting/hoping for.

#72 4 years ago

I got to disagree. After vacuuming up all glass shards I can not see any further damage. Like I have said I do not beat on high end games of collectors! Mostly classic Bally games 1978-1982, which the local guys do not maintain! Which for the most part I sold the cheap! Pinball machines are designed for abuse for commercial use! Why I post anything here is beyond me. More abuse from people having drinks on glass going everywhere. If I get a ban good for them on location for serious loss of revenue. Like I have said in 40 years never broke a glass from pounding on the glass, same with a hammer & standing on glass. But I had one explode in my hands at Allentown (gravity).

#74 4 years ago

Honestly, I was expecting a lot more torches and pitchforks. This was a fairly mild response, all things considered. It seems most people were able to restrain themselves.

I've heard of people still picking out splinters of glass from a game up to a year later, no matter how thoroughly they've vacuumed. It's tough to get it all without a complete tear-down.

#75 4 years ago

I got to disagree. After vacuuming up all glass shards I can not see any further damage. Like I have said I do not beat on high end games of collectors! Mostly classic Bally games 1978-1982, which the local guys do not maintain! Which for the most part I sold the cheap! Pinball machines are designed for abuse for commercial use! Why I post anything here is beyond me. More abuse from people having drinks on glass going everywhere. If I get a ban good for them on location for serious loss of revenue. Like I have said in 40 years never broke a glass from pounding on the glass, same with a hammer & standing on glass. But I had one explode in my hands at Allentown (gravity).

You're absolutely wrong about this.
    Vacuuming will only get the larger parts of broken glass and there will be fine particles stuck in every part of the machine.
    No matter how clean you think you got it with vacuuming and wiping it down it is not good enough.
    It may look like you got it all with a shop vac and a wipe down, but you won't.
    Over time little pieces will work their way onto the play field and act as an abrasive when they come in contact with the ball and ruin the play field etc.
    The machine will require a complete tear down and shop job and everything little part will have to be wiped down and cleaned etc.

I just went through cleaning the broken glass off and out of a cocktail arcade game that was damaged in shipping.
    It is a huge and I mean huge pain in the ass.
    Small pieces of glass and glass dust were on and in every last part of that game.
    The machine had to be totally taken apart not only vacuumed but every part has to be dissembled and wiped down.
    My hands were covered in cuts etc from doing this (even wearing gloves).
    Oh and did I mention glass splinters.
    Those are real fun and sometimes if you can't get them out with tweezers don't work their way out for a while.

Not trying to drag this out, but your nonchalant attitude about this is something I just can't understand.

#76 4 years ago

Installed playfield glass has no exposed edges. It would take a fair bit of doing to break it - anyone ever seen this with bare hands?
    I've never seen installed glass break, but I've witnessed a lot of pounding on it.

I can't fathom this fallout of magic glass particles that are uncleanable and invisible. If its too small to see wouldn't the scratch it makes be invisible too?

How do we even breathe in a world where tempered glass has broken? Surely our insides are full of glass dust just by being on a planet where glass exists.
    Pound away I say. If the glass somehow breaks you found the magic weapon of WW3 - glass dust.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Honestly, I was expecting a lot more torches and pitchforks. This was a fairly mild response, all things considered. It seems most people were able to restrain themselves.

#78 4 years ago

A wise man (actually a wise talking puppet head) once said "Hey, it's only pinball! Shoot again, Bucko!"

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

You're absolutely wrong about this.
    Vacuuming will only get the larger parts of broken glass and there will be fine particles stuck in every part of the machine.
    No matter how clean you think you got it with vacuuming and wiping it down it is not good enough......

Yes. I agree. You need to pull out the leaf blower in my experience and follow up with a couple coats of wax and a final leaf blower blast.

#80 4 years ago

I feel self conscious tilting someone else's machine, even slightly, to the point where I will wait to see if they do it themselves before I do. Hitting the glass? Never.

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

I feel self conscious tilting someone else's machine, even slightly, to the point where I will wait to see if they do it themselves before I do. Hitting the glass? Never.

If I'm playing someone else's machine, likely I will have seen them play on it first. Then it's kind of monkey see, monkey do.

Nudging and a little shimmy here and there to influence the trajectory of a ball in play is as much a part of the game as the shooter rod and the flippers. A machine that can't withstand that isn't built well enough to be worth owning, and most definitely not worth operating in a public venue. On the other hand, there is nothing to be gained from banging on the glass, or for that matter anywhere on the table after the ball is drained.

#82 4 years ago

You guys need to relax with the hatred!

May god have mercy on your soul you evil bastard.

#83 4 years ago

Probably a better response would be “jeeze guys you are right, I’m a changed man now. I won’t beat on anyone’s games anymore, thanks for showing me how wrong I was.”

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Probably a better response would be “jeeze guys you are right, I’m a changed man now. I won’t beat on anyone’s games anymore, thank for showing me how wrong I was.”

You can't bargain with the devil man.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from KloggMonkey:

Installed playfield glass has no exposed edges. It would take a fair bit of doing to break it - anyone ever seen this with bare hands?
    I've never seen installed glass break, but I've witnessed a lot of pounding on it.
    I can't fathom this fallout of magic glass particles that are uncleanable and invisible. If its too small to see wouldn't the scratch it makes be invisible too?
    How do we even breathe in a world where tempered glass has broken? Surely our insides are full of glass dust just by being on a planet where glass exists.
    Pound away I say. If the glass somehow breaks you found the magic weapon of WW3 - glass dust.

JFC....... you must be a YUGE fan of Diamond and Silk. All mouth, no thought, no substance.

#86 4 years ago

Vacuum the playfield? Hell no. It would be playfield removed from cabinet and air compressor nozzle at about 100 psi.

#87 4 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#88 4 years ago

Most glass would be removed with a vacuum, if not some air to help out. I made the mistake of removing a playfield glass & broke a Stern glass. I would be more concerned with people banging on the lock bar. This area of tempered glass is usually chipped or more likely to explode! I thought the hatred was expected for this group. Glass banging no damage in 40 years, pull out a glass in my hands & it explodes. Go figure, these are commercial games & likely will never have one install plate glass to save a few dollars.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Vacuum the playfield? Hell no. It would be playfield removed from cabinet and air compressor nozzle at about 100 psi.

How do you plan to remove the playfield from the cabinet without using a shop vac and vacuuming up most of the glass first?
    Serious question.

#90 4 years ago

Guys, you're overthinking this. Don't forcefully strike any part of the machine - especially the damn glass. Ever. Period.

1 week later
    #91 4 years ago

I even cringe when I see people performing a slap save on machines. I guess that’s part of the game but for me that’s rough to see.

#92 4 years ago

I think there are two types of pinball players/collectors-those that see the games as a very expensive fancy toy that should be treated with care and deeply coddled. Then there are those that see the games as being built to be abused for years in bars and arcades, smacked, pushed and prodded to convince the ball to track nicely to the correct spot. The reality is that you can be in the latter group and will rarely if ever have an issue, and any issue you have is easily fixed. The other fact is you can be in the former and the same stuff mostly breaks.

Some people buy the latest truck from Ford and have the thing detailed and clay bar 3 times a year, others take it hunting and beat the crap out of them- they even get scratched! End of day, both drive down the road just fine.

Would it piss me off a bit if I really broke the glass, or if a friend did- a little. But I would clean it up and play on.

Nothing wrong with either use- just dont expect everyone to agree because there really are at least two ways of viewing these games. I personally view them as ruggidized beasts designed to extract cash, they can take an occasional smack in exchange for being quarter hungry.

7 months later
    #94 4 years ago

Agreed. One day he’s going to pound the glass on a machine whose owner is a firm believer in old school man against man and get his ass beat...and rightfully so.

#95 4 years ago

Has anyone here attempted to cut Plate Glass on their own? I have a sheet and thought about using it for something but whatever I use it for will likely involve cutting it to size so was just wondering if it's possible.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Has anyone here attempted to cut Plate Glass on their own? I have a sheet and thought about using it for something but whatever I use it for will likely involve cutting it to size so was just wondering if it's possible.

Depending on the thickness it can be done as a DIY but it's not really "cutting". There are several types of scoring devises that can be used to aid you. If you buy cut to size glass from a hardware type store that's all they do. They have a diamond blade that rides on a rail and they score it several times and then they have a device that applies even pressure to both sides of the score and then it's snapped at the score. Doesn't always come out perfect though and some pieces have to be scrapped.

#97 4 years ago

1. Is this in reference to Pinburgh 2013?

2. My pinball glass (tempered) has shattered on occasion when I take the machine Outdoor hot tubbin’ during snowstorms. Maybe it was something I said, maybe it was the rapid heat shift.

3. Under no circumstances snort that broken glass. I’m like 0-4 on that. Suitcase it instead.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Go to the hardware store a pick up one of these. Use a straight edge and you will have to put some pressure when cutting, after it's scored, snap it along the score line. Or just take it to a glass shop they should be able to cut for you, if they are nice it will be at no charge! Takes less then 2 minutes to do.

20200313_103001 (resized).jpg20200313_103001 (resized).jpg
    #99 4 years ago
    giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #100 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Depending on the thickness it can be done as a DIY but it's not really "cutting".

Quoted from henrydwh:

Go to the hardware store a pick up one of these.

Thx guys, I have a couple of glass cutters, I just wasn't sure it could be cut other than in a shop. I'd say it's close to 1/4" thick (EM pinball glass) so I'll score it a few times and then use some duckbill pliers to snap it. I don't really know what else to do with it other than toss it so I'll try to cut it and use it else where.

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pounding-on-tempered-playfield-glass/page/2?hl=cjchand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.