7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by dudah
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HP4600ScanJet.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I remember from reading on a few websites that one of the cooler things that people were doing to repair playfields was to scan the part of the playfield that was worn, importing the scan into photoshop, fixing and then printing decals that were then applied to the playfield.

Anyhow, looks like this scanner was released in the U.K. and could be a really useful for scanning portions of playfields. (I did not check detailed specs, so if this is not good, feel free to let me know)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/lg-announces-lsm-100-scanner-mouse-saves-valuable-desk-space/

With CES in full swing it just reminded me that I saw this a few months ago.

#3 7 years ago

Best playfield or backglass scanner:

http://www.crusedigital.com/cd_main.asp

#4 7 years ago

I use this one.....

HP4600ScanJet.jpg

It's a see-thru, flatbed scanner.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

I use this one.....

It's a see-thru, flatbed scanner.

Attachments HP4600ScanJet.jpg (10.7 KB, 0 downloads) 5 minutes old

Is that one of those old HPs?

Wow, they have not made those in 10 years! Very cool.

#7 7 years ago

large format scanner: expensive?
    see-through scanner: You still have to scan separate images and try to align them up manually in photoshop.

I like this mouse because it's small, affordable ($199), and it seems to auto mesh large areas together on it's own.

Maybe there's a trick in newer versions of photoshop I'm not aware of, but again.. photoshop CS4 aint cheap (certainly not less than $200?)

cheapest price I found is $135, not sure what shipping would be from UK?
    http://www.airetechit.co.uk/e-shop/int/ROW/products.php?34574&currency=USD&livemode=1

#8 7 years ago

You can get a canonscan 8800 the has a removable cover. You have scan the playfield face down. They make a smaller scanner that can scan vertically but the cover isnt removable.

#10 7 years ago

Photomerge goes back at least 5 versions of Photoshop, and I believe was part of Elements before that.

GOTO: File>Automate>Photomerge to see if your version has it.

Give yourself 20-30% overlap to make it easy on Photoshop...

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

large format scanner: expensive?

I don't think any of us want to buy a giant scanner (but if you do, more power to ya).

Most cities have some sort of giant scanner at a print shop, art shop, Kinkos, or gallery that is available for rent. An item as large as a playfield will run $50-70, but you get a perfect 1 scan, no stitching required. Bring a memory stick, or they will try to charge you $10 to burn you a disc of the file.

Here are some locations with public Cruse scanners:

http://www.crusedigital.com/cd_customers_national.asp

2 years later
    #12 4 years ago

hello,
    I need some actual information about this topic, im going to try this technique to restore some part of my playfield!

Best scanner to do it, range $50-70!?!

Best Regards

2 months later
    #13 4 years ago

Bump because I am interested too!

#14 4 years ago

Buying an HP 4600/4670 on ebay still seems like a popular option.

I bought a Doxie Flip so I wouldn't have to worry about drivers and shipping to Canada....works fine but smaller than the 4600. For my needs it was big enough, it does auto stitching, 600 dpi so not super high resolution. It runs on batteries so that is convenient.

I did all my work in Gimp and Inkscape.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Buying an HP 4600/4670 on ebay still seems like a popular option.

You can still find Hp4600's on ebay for about $30-$50, and seems to still be the cheapest most effective way to do at home. Keep in mind because the scanner is so old, it only works well in XP. If you need to run it in windows 7/8, read this workaround:
    https://openpinballproject.wordpress.com/2014/10/

Highly recommend if you're stitching, do NOT start in photoshop. Use a free program by microsoft called "ICE". Stitch only one row at a time, then take all the rows and stitch them. This will reduce the warping that stitching tends to do. You may have to tweak the image ever so slightly (scanners are accurate, but they may be off by 1/8"), so you'll have to stretch the image accordingly.

#16 4 years ago

Doing some work to Fish Tales right now. Got a wand scanner on Amazon for $49 and am almost finished drawing the stringer of 6 fish and left fish by targets in Inkscape.

#17 4 years ago

amazon.com link »

Is this the one you got @ $49.00?

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

amazon.com link »
    Is this the one you got @ $49.00?

Supposedly, wands don't work so well since they can produce a wavy image. No risk of that with a flatbed.

#19 4 years ago

That is very similar to the one I got. You need to roll it steady on each end while scanning, but was not overly difficult to get smooth scans. Biggest problem I found was scanner would bump into posts, etc. so I removed targets, posts, and any rubber that was in the way.

This one is very close to the one I got:
    amazon.com link »

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from fish1975tx:

That is very similar to the one I got. You need to roll it steady on each end while scanning, but was not overly difficult to get smooth scans. Biggest problem I found was scanner would bump into posts, etc. so I removed targets, posts, and any rubber that was in the way.
    This one is very close to the one I got:
    amazon.com link »

I have one like this works pretty good. I also have an HP4600 which works very well.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

You can still find Hp4600's on ebay for about $30-$50, and seems to still be the cheapest most effective way to do at home.

These must be drying up, I have searched to no avail. Leaning towards the Doxie Flip, but ???

#22 4 years ago

Anther vote for the 4600. Does an excellent job even if it is a bit cumbersome with all of the wires and XP only.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

Anther vote for the 4600. Does an excellent job even if it is a bit cumbersome with all of the wires and XP only.

It works on Windows 7, and I saw someone else mention it works on Windows 8.1 as well.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It works on Windows 7, and I saw someone else mention it works on Windows 8.1 as well.

Good to know!

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

You can still find Hp4600's on ebay for about $30-$50, and seems to still be the cheapest most effective way to do at home. Keep in mind because the scanner is so old, it only works well in XP

I picked up one NIB off of Ebay a month ago. It was plug and play to get it to work with Windows 8.1.

#26 4 years ago

I use the HP 4600. It gets the job done. I haven't had to do any major detail work yet, so resolution wasn't an issue for me. Not sure how it would fare otherwise.

1 week later
    #27 4 years ago

Scored an HP4600 this morning!
    Thanks all for the advise.

4 months later
    #28 3 years ago

What's the best scanner for scanning the side of a cabinet?
    -mof

#29 3 years ago

HP4600

#30 3 years ago

I've got an HP 4600 I bought 5 or 6 years ago and have only used once. Haven't touched it in that amount of time. If anyone is local and wants to try it/buy it they're welcome to it...Not really worth it to ship and risk breakage.

1 month later
    #31 3 years ago

Well, if someone would post a 1 high res scan of the entire pristine playfield, we could just download it and cut out the piece we need and print it?
    How about it you guys with mint machines?
    I need F14 Tomcat.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Well, if someone would post a 1 high res scan of the entire pristine playfield, we could just download it and cut out the piece we need and print it?
    I need f14 tomcat.

Unfortunately, the copyright holders of the artwork won't look kindly upon that. A site called BallsOfSteel hosted scans for all sorts of things at one time, but were asked to take everything down.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A site called BallsOfSteel hosted scans for all sorts of things at one time, but were asked to take everything down.

I wished I had grabbed those before it went down. Whatever happened to Planetary pinball selling overlays? All I see is classic arcades selling a few on ebay.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I wished I had grabbed those before it went down. Whatever happened to Planetary pinball selling overlays? All I see is classic arcades selling a few on ebay.

PPS said they would do a lot of things that haven't materialized yet.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from StylesBitchly:

I've got all the separate scans (not stitched together) for F14 that I use for restoration, but it's 1.3 Gigs in size.

Do you have an FTP site or something to load it up to?

Or is there just a certain section you need?

#36 3 years ago

You're awesome vid!!

Copyright holders of the artwork can KMA!
    I would pay for the overlays if they were available.
    I'll die of old age waiting for PPS.

#37 3 years ago

Important Tech Note: The HP 4600 doesn't support Mac OS X past 10.4
    Big fail from HP.
    -mof

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Important Tech Note: The HP 4600 doesn't support Mac OS X past 10.4
    Big fail from HP.

They have not made that scanner in 10 years, so I can forgive the lack of updates.

If you think about it, that scanner was not popular, so how long are they going to keep supporting it.....?

3 years later
    #39 10 months ago

I'm going to try to resurrect this old thread. It's been about three years since the last post!

Does anyone have a new recommendation on the best scanner (for home/hobby use) for playfield and cabinet scans? There are still some HP 4600/4670's listed on ebay, but not a lot. Also I've read that although some people had success running the Windows Vista drivers in Windows 10, there are reports that this stopped working after more recent Windows updates were installed.

I'm just now starting on my first restoration project, so I'm looking to get the right tools for job and not create new problems just getting the tools to work.

I do have an old Windows XP Pro PC that I could use just for scanning images, then transfer those using a thumb drive. I probably would avoid putting that old PC on my home network now since it hasn't had any security updates in many years.

#40 10 months ago

I have one of the old HP scanners, and I found it works pretty well with Windows 7.

#41 10 months ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I have one of the old HP scanners, and I found it works pretty well with Windows 7.

me too, vista drivers work fine

#42 10 months ago

Anyone have experience using the HP4600/4670 with Windows 10?

Has anyone found a new scanner that works as well as the old HP's?

#43 10 months ago

Just picked one up at a flea market recently for cheap! They're a bit expensive on eBay. I also found one local on FB marketplace for cheap.

As for the computer - if you don't have an old computer that can run XP/7, get one cheap on craigslist.

#44 10 months ago

pretty sure mine run fine with windows 10

#45 10 months ago

I haven't tried with the lastest win10 update, but my 4670 worked fine on all the ones before that.

#46 10 months ago

Still working with win10

#47 10 months ago

I scored a 4600 on ebay for $18 in January, keep your eyes peeled and make SURE it has the adapter cord. You might as well use it to skip across a lake without the special cord.

#48 10 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I scored a 4600 on ebay for $18 in January, keep your eyes peeled and make SURE it has the adapter cord. You might as well use it to skip across a lake without the special cord.

The cable just combines the USB and power into a PS/2 DIN connector. I haven't put the meter on it yet, but I imagine there's nothing else in the cable.

1 week later
    #49 9 months ago

Here's a cheap one for sale in the Chicago area - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/174902443263418
    I already asked her and she'll take $20

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 109.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 62.00
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 239.00
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    $ 137.00
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside