SM (resized).png
second (resized).png
Oakland (resized).jpeg
first (resized).png
IMG_0072 (resized).JPG
IMG_0071 (resized).JPG
IMG_0070 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

There have been multiple posts regarding the topic title, so I though it would be a good idea to have an ongoing thread about potential scams, scams and how you were scammed. I will start this off with a potential scam: I responded to an ad on CL for an AFM (sorry forgot where) and the seller responded to a text sent to the number listed (717-603-8936) stating that the AFM was in Buffalo but shipping is not a problem. He provided his e-mail as [email protected] and whats app phone number of 682-203-5360. This seems like a scam to me but I will bait it along. If this is a real seller, I will respectfully apologize but something seems fishy.

#3 6 years ago

Seems like a legit scam....

#4 6 years ago

what gave it away?
-the email address at mail.com?
-or that the machine's located nowhere near either him or you?
-or that you're in jersey, the machine's in buffalo, and he's calling from a pennsylvania area code, and referring you to a number w/ a texas area code?

#5 6 years ago

Just putting it out there. There are many who have fell for such foolery ie. wired money paid with apple cards etc.

#6 6 years ago

Almost everything on Craigslist is a scam. Everytime I list something I have to deal with all the idiots wanting to trade me something or low balling the hell out of me, and then all of the damn scammers. Don't buy a pinball.machine or anything for that matter off of craigslist unless you can go to the persons house and pay them and haul it away.

#7 6 years ago

honestly, good looking out for folks. just having' a lil fun with ya

#8 6 years ago

Having a phone number from out of town used to mean more than it does now.
My cell number is from NY (where I was living when I got that number 15 years ago), but I live in CA. And I have a landline through Google Voice, but that number is from Pittsburgh.

That being said, still looks fishy and probably a scam

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Almost everything on Craigslist is a scam. Everytime I list something I have to deal with all the idiots wanting to trade me something or low balling the hell out of me, and then all of the damn scammers. Don't buy a pinball.machine or anything for that matter off of craigslist unless you can go to the persons house and pay them and haul it away.

Yeah, stick with Kijiji if your going that route. Its not perfect but a lot better than Craigslist for sure.

#10 6 years ago

adams, your post is clearly a scam.

#11 6 years ago

Scams abound! Remember that routed Hobbit being offered in the $5's? As if!!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Scams abound! Remember that routed Hobbit being offered in the $5's? As if!!

or that guy local to me promising to sell me his dirty harry at some point, and then, not?

#13 6 years ago

I was checking that out as well. Once the "seller" replied the pin was in Buffalo I knew for certain (as opposed to the 85% certainty before). Of course, a quick check of the Buffalo CL showed no AFM. Seriously, just stupid.

I'm gonna be pissed if I get there after a 5 hour drive and there is no machine!!!

This thread isn't a bad idea, though I suppose it is up to you to update the initial post through with any other confirmed scams to keep a quick "active" list.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I was checking that out as well. Once the "seller" replied the pin was in Buffalo I knew for certain (as opposed to the 85% certainty before). Of course, a quick check of the Buffalo CL showed no AFM. Seriously, just stupid.
I'm gonna be pissed if I get there after a 5 hour drive and there is no machine!!!

There was a $4500 AFM on CL last week that was legit. It was faded and had insert wear so the price was probably rigjt given condition

#15 6 years ago

Yes my buddy was gonna get it and it sold.

Quoted from Pinphila:

There was a $4500 AFM on CL last week that was legit. It was faded and had insert wear so the price was probably rigjt given condition

#16 6 years ago

These were the images that were sent via whats app. I did not find any of the images on google but I only checked one pic. He would be willing to "have his brother meet me half way"

IMG_0057 (resized).JPGIMG_0057 (resized).JPG

IMG_0056 (resized).JPGIMG_0056 (resized).JPG

IMG_0058 (resized).JPGIMG_0058 (resized).JPG

IMG_0059 (resized).JPGIMG_0059 (resized).JPG

IMG_0060 (resized).JPGIMG_0060 (resized).JPG

IMG_0061 (resized).JPGIMG_0061 (resized).JPG

IMG_0062 (resized).JPGIMG_0062 (resized).JPG

IMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPG

IMG_0064 (resized).JPGIMG_0064 (resized).JPG

IMG_0065 (resized).JPGIMG_0065 (resized).JPG

IMG_0067 (resized).JPGIMG_0067 (resized).JPG

IMG_0068 (resized).JPGIMG_0068 (resized).JPG

IMG_0069 (resized).JPGIMG_0069 (resized).JPG

IMG_0070 (resized).JPGIMG_0070 (resized).JPG

IMG_0071 (resized).JPGIMG_0071 (resized).JPG

IMG_0072 (resized).JPGIMG_0072 (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago

I suppose he'd only need a deposit, right?

#18 6 years ago

Looks like a throw away number from TextNow. When in doubt, do a carrier lookup (https://freecarrierlookup.com) to see if it's linked to a free phone number service.

1 week later
#19 6 years ago

I too replied to this guy’s Craigslist Ad, and I was also confused when he didn’t ask for money. He said they’d even drop it off if I paid for gas. Given it was a 6 hour drive, I said sure and that I’d pay in cash.

Morning of, the scam finally becomes obvious.
first (resized).pngfirst (resized).png

Ok, so he wants me to send money to someone I know in Texas. I’m assuming they plan to use a fake ID to claim to be that person. But I don’t know because I didn’t feel like going to Western Union to get a receipt to play that part out.
second (resized).pngsecond (resized).png

I’m particularly a fan of the SpiderMan spelling of ‘lose’.
SM (resized).pngSM (resized).png

He isn’t excited about me asking for another photo:
third (resized).pngthird (resized).png

But he agrees and sends this.
oakland txt (resized).pngoakland txt (resized).png

Of course you, the astute reader, will notice some odd things about this photo. Here is a larger version for you:
Oakland (resized).jpegOakland (resized).jpeg

Why is it backwards you might ask. And why don’t the colors match the side art from the photos from earlier in the thread. But you’re not going to stop there.. you’re going to Google “Ideal Cleaners” and find out it’s in Okland, because you’re on Pinside and what else would you do? (Or, that’s what I did… I grabbed a picture of the cleaners for use later.)

Time to figure out this Texas thing…
why texas (resized).pngwhy texas (resized).png

Ok, this is just bizarre… I have to do actual work, so I’m going to stall.
stall (resized).pngstall (resized).png

As you can see, I tried to draw him out with the ATM idea, but he didn’t really take to it.
atm (resized).pngatm (resized).png

Maybe I should have said I didn’t have time tonight and punt it to tomorrow, but I’m frankly getting bored.
So I use the line “I don’t think he’ll make it in time" to deliver the killing blow
cleaners (resized).pngcleaners (resized).png
You'll note that this is the cleaners that was in the background of the thumb's up shot.

He doesn’t take it all that well and sends me an NSFW picture I’ll spare you the picture of the large dong he sent me. Suffice to say, he wasn’t pleased.
dong (resized).pngdong (resized).png
the end (resized).pngthe end (resized).png

He then tried to call me, but I felt it was best not to answer.

#20 6 years ago

Now that was funny.

#21 6 years ago

The sad part, as we all know, is that somehow...people fall for this shit somehow. Boggles the mind.

I have to admit by the time DallAs and western unioning your wife got brought into it...well I kind of felt like he deserved some kind of money just for coming up with a web of confusion so stupefying that it deserves recognition.

#22 6 years ago

I recently put a wanted ad on Mr Pinball. Talk about scammers coming out of the woodwork!

#23 6 years ago

You are so idiot, gay lord! CLASSIC!

#24 6 years ago

Funny, but use a throw away number for scam-baiting. Google voice is great for it.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Artimage:

I too replied to this guy’s Craigslist Ad, and I was also confused when he didn’t ask for money. He said they’d even drop it off if I paid for gas. Given it was a 6 hour drive, I said sure and that I’d pay in cash.
Morning of, the scam finally becomes obvious.
first (resized).png
Ok, so he wants me to send money to someone I know in Texas. I’m assuming they plan to use a fake ID to claim to be that person. But I don’t know because I didn’t feel like going to Western Union to get a receipt to play that part out.

I’m particularly a fan of the SpiderMan spelling of ‘lose’.

He isn’t excited about me asking for another photo:

But he agrees and sends this.

Of course you, the astute reader, will notice some odd things about this photo. Here is a larger version for you:

Why is it backwards you might ask. And why don’t the colors match the side art from the photos from earlier in the thread. But you’re not going to stop there.. you’re going to Google “Ideal Cleaners” and find out it’s in Okland, because you’re on Pinside and what else would you do? (Or, that’s what I did… I grabbed a picture of the cleaners for use later.)
Time to figure out this Texas thing…

Ok, this is just bizarre… I have to do actual work, so I’m going to stall.

As you can see, I tried to draw him out with the ATM idea, but he didn’t really take to it.

Maybe I should have said I didn’t have time tonight and punt it to tomorrow, but I’m frankly getting bored.
So I use the line “I don’t think he’ll make it in time" to deliver the killing blow

You'll note that this is the cleaners that was in the background of the thumb's up shot.
He doesn’t take it all that well and sends me an NSFW picture I’ll spare you the picture of the large dong he sent me. Suffice to say, he wasn’t pleased.

He then tried to call me, but I felt it was best not to answer.

This was amazing....ahaahhah wth.....

#28 6 years ago

Great story, you got me having a good laugh and after a 14 hour day at work I needed it. Thanks--Mike

#29 6 years ago

send a picture of western union receipt
and you get all the info right there with sender and wire number while somebody makes a fake id with the name and goes get the money.

with that horrible grammar hard to believe people fall for this!

very funny! it was bitd in grad school last time i heard the term "gaylord"

#31 6 years ago

I once used Payoneer to pay for a NIB Jurassic Park from a new poster on Pinside.

#34 6 years ago

Let's all get "Concretized" tonight!

Holy laughter.
I needed this. Hobby is pissing me off lately ( I was looking forward to GOTG, not Metallica 2).

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Let's all get "Concretized" tonight!

Like this dude!

Homebodies (resized).jpgHomebodies (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago

I'm being hit by a scammer as I type......

They sent a text asking if the item was for sale, I say"yes" then a couple hours later with no questions, no pics, nothing asked about the item....The send "I need your full name and address. i'm paying by cashiers check. I'll add $50 for keeping it in my favor."

I txt back.."No worries, I'll hold it for you!"

Them..."I need your full name and address to mail you payment."

Me..."Just bring payment when you pick it up."

Me again.."I'm not really understanding.....You come,You look, Then you pay,you leave with the item. Why would you send me a check? If you need me to hold the item? I will!"

It's an Indiana number, Which doesn't mean anything.

I tried calling them twice, with no response.....Since I think It's a scammer? I have nothing better to do alllllllll night but to call and leave messages.

#39 6 years ago

Try lookup up the carrier for the number:

http://freesmsgateway.info/

If it's a random free texting service, it's likely a scammer.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Try lookup up the carrier for the number:
http://freesmsgateway.info/
If it's a random free texting service, it's likely a scammer.

In the voicemail I can't quite make out what it's saying. Google x subscriber, or Global x subscriber. Something like that.

Added... I looked it up on the link you posted. That's a cool link!! Here's what it says...

Google/Bandwidth.com (SVR)

Wireless was N

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Joker2415:

In the voicemail I can't quite make out what it's saying. Google x subscriber, or Global x subscriber. Something like that.
Added... I looked it up on the link you posted. That's a cool link!! Here's what it says...
Google/Bandwidth.com (SVR)
Wireless was N

It's a Google Voice number. The service can be used for legit purposes.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have one. Was going to port one of my other phones to it, but never did.

LTG : )

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I really hope this wasn't a person just wanting to buy sight unseen. With no questions or pics....I highly doubt it. If not their phone is going crazy right now!! haha.....Voice mails and constant calls, texts back after back for minutes at a time.

A guy answered one time and said" why do you keep calling" I said" I just wanted to know if you were going to buy it or not? He said I didn't text you!" Well, I never asked him if he txted me. I just asked if he was going to buy it or not.

I can't help it....I always have to mess with the scammers if I can. I have nothing better to do tonight. haha

#44 6 years ago

The pic of the AFM appears to be an old pic of TJ Beyer. Not coincidentally, TJ has a location on 14th St.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Joker2415:

I'm being hit by a scammer as I type......
They sent a text asking if the item was for sale, I say"yes" then a couple hours later with no questions, no pics, nothing asked about the item....The send "I need your full name and address. i'm paying by cashiers check. I'll add $50 for keeping it in my favor."
I txt back.."No worries, I'll hold it for you!"
Them..."I need your full name and address to mail you payment."
Me..."Just bring payment when you pick it up."
Me again.."I'm not really understanding.....You come,You look, Then you pay,you leave with the item. Why would you send me a check? If you need me to hold the item? I will!"
It's an Indiana number, Which doesn't mean anything.
I tried calling them twice, with no response.....Since I think It's a scammer? I have nothing better to do alllllllll night but to call and leave messages.

Better yet, post the number to us so we can have fun too.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Better yet, post the number to us so we can have fun too.

I would...But I wasn't sure if the number that showed up was the number used. Use to be able to call someone and another number would show up. Like prank a friend and have the police stations number show up. as example.

They got about 60 calls back to back from me, and about 200 text messages in a row about 3 a second...Then I got tired of playing around.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 21.50
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potential-scams-scams-i-have-been-scammed?hl=adams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.